Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Jimbozig posted:

What the gently caress. I go away for three days without internet and I miss Mike Mearls eating string cheese? I understand being a grognard and wanting to play the games you played when you were 12. I sometimes think it'd be fun to go back and play goldeneye on my n64 while my buddies called each other awful names. But why would you want to eat the same terrible food you ate when you were 12? String cheese is an affront to cheese and an affront to decency. Real cheese, even a simple and inexpensive sharp cheddar, is one of the most delicious types of food you can buy. Why eat tasteless plasticky crap that costs more?

Mearls isn't just a grognard. He is a manchild.

Also it's hilarious to me that that's a detail they saw fit to put in the article, then an editor approved it. It's like something you'd see in a celebrity sightings section of a gossip rag. Gaming journalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

What the gently caress. I go away for three days without internet and I miss Mike Mearls eating string cheese? I understand being a grognard and wanting to play the games you played when you were 12. I sometimes think it'd be fun to go back and play goldeneye on my n64 while my buddies called each other awful names. But why would you want to eat the same terrible food you ate when you were 12? String cheese is an affront to cheese and an affront to decency. Real cheese, even a simple and inexpensive sharp cheddar, is one of the most delicious types of food you can buy. Why eat tasteless plasticky crap that costs more?

Did this revelation leave you cheesed off?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

The other important take away from that article is that the author can't convince an actual 11 year old to play the game with him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Random stupid question from a guy that's trying to run a game despite never playing before — if a monster pays out 200 xp, is that split among all party members, or does each player receive 200?

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK

morestuff posted:

Random stupid question from a guy that's trying to run a game despite never playing before — if a monster pays out 200 xp, is that split among all party members, or does each player receive 200?

Split

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Never use exp, it's really bad and fiddly. Just level up whenever (or every 2-3 sessions).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Thanks.

Jack the Lad posted:

Never use exp, it's really bad and fiddly. Just level up whenever (or every 2-3 sessions).

This was my plan, I just wanted to keep track behind the scenes so I know when people are "supposed" to level.

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

morestuff posted:

Might as well just give it all to the wizard. It's not like anyone else is really playing the game. Unless you consider listening to the caster's player describe how he singlehandedly trivializes every combat and non-combat challenge a contribution.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

morestuff posted:

Thanks.

This was my plan, I just wanted to keep track behind the scenes so I know when people are "supposed" to level.

Make sure your players are fine with that, my group loves exp packets and as such I make a big thing out of it, assigning exp for monsters, for cool things, for great comments, for roleplaying. I just make sure to keep track of their EXP so I can get them level fairly equally.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ruckby posted:

Might as well just give it all to the wizard. It's not like anyone else is really playing the game. Unless you consider listening to the caster's player describe how he singlehandedly trivializes every combat and non-combat challenge a contribution.

Ok

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Hey so, what if an Eldritch Knight picked up Animate Dead at 14 and made his own little army and went & fought a dragon? I know the wizard does it better because spell slots/spells, just curious on the numbers.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jimbozig posted:

Best part? This was a phone interview. That meant Mike Mearls told the journalist that he was actively eating string cheese. He could've made up anything in the world, but instead he told him "string cheese".

All that talk in the article about "oh, you don't really need rules, it's all up to the DM" and passing it off as "modern" design is dumb. Even the breakout quotes reek of exceptional stupidity and cluelessness as to what design actually is. My favorites?

"You don't need to know all the rules of basketball to start playing. You dribble around and shoot it in the hoop."

Uh... That's not basketball. That's shooting a ball into a hoop.

"The real thing that changed [with D&D 5], and was part of this evolution of D&D, was saying, 'Throw out the rules,'” Stewart explains. “That’s not the important thing . . . don’t be beholden to those rules."

:downsgun:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Generic Octopus posted:

Hey so, what if an Eldritch Knight picked up Animate Dead at 14 and made his own little army and went & fought a dragon? I know the wizard does it better because spell slots/spells, just curious on the numbers.

Well he can summon 2 skeletons, or 6 at level 20, so...

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 20, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Well at 14th he could theoretically maintain 8 right? Summon 2, rest, Summon 1 & refresh duration, rest, etc.

Still sucks though. Really hate this fighter.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ocrumsprug posted:

I think the lack of OGL is probably fine in this case, as they are claiming they are Unspecificed Game 5E compatible. And as was shown earlier in the thread, there is no formula so the SRD would be of little value in any case.

Case in Point:

I read that as "pretty much no orc will give a poo poo about a formula" in timg size. :allears:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Actually, you'd spend 2 days getting 4 skeletons, then 2 days asserting control over the old ones and raising one more. Then on the fifth day you wake up, realize this is a pain in the rear end, write them all off and raise 2 more for 7 total, which will all turn on you in the next 24 hours. It's okay though because you're going to get them all destroyed anyway and never do this again.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah I know, but I mean, if I'm gearing up to go fight a dragon or a lich, taking a few days to get some minions up to, at the very least, soak some hits doesn't sound like a bad idea.

It's all a moot point anyway because a real caster can do it faster & better.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
And of course everybody knowing what the coming encounter will be and taking hours/days to prepare for it favors true casters more than anyone else, because for some reason in TYOOL 2014 everybody still thinks Clerics and Wizards would be helpless if they didn't have the ability to cast every single spell ever printed and that ever will be printed for the class on the same character

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

slydingdoor posted:

Actually, you'd spend 2 days getting 4 skeletons, then 2 days asserting control over the old ones and raising one more. Then on the fifth day you wake up, realize this is a pain in the rear end, write them all off and raise 2 more for 7 total, which will all turn on you in the next 24 hours. It's okay though because you're going to get them all destroyed anyway and never do this again.
So use True Polymorph to create your skeletons instead. It takes longer, as you only get one casting per day (unless there's some way to recharge high-level spells faster that I can't look up because I don't have the PDF on my iPad), but anything you create is A: automatically friendly to you and your party, so you don't have to keep reasserting control, and B: you control their moves and actions without any range limits RAW, so none of that "within 60'" crap.

Or alternatively, keep using True Polymorph to create an army of adult red dragons. Or Balors. Or Tarrasques. Or skeleton Tarrasques. Just go somewhere with a lot of large boulders to use for raw materials, and the world will be yours!

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Payndz posted:

So use True Polymorph to create your skeletons instead. It takes longer, as you only get one casting per day (unless there's some way to recharge high-level spells faster that I can't look up because I don't have the PDF on my iPad), but anything you create is A: automatically friendly to you and your party, so you don't have to keep reasserting control, and B: you control their moves and actions without any range limits RAW, so none of that "within 60'" crap.

Or alternatively, keep using True Polymorph to create an army of adult red dragons. Or Balors. Or Tarrasques. Or skeleton Tarrasques. Just go somewhere with a lot of large boulders to use for raw materials, and the world will be yours!

i'm not sure this logic follows. For one you're turning a mindless undead creature into a living intelligent creature, so there's no guarantee your mental domination would extend to the new dragon form.

Also do higher level skeletons gain CR? Because otherwise it's impossible since skeletons are much lower CR than even a Young Dragon

edit: also where are you getting this "automatically friendly" thing? True Polymorph says the creature retains its personality, so even if it doesnt become a Red Dragon in personality, your mental domination will end (its no longer undead...i guess?) and it would then go berserk.

edit2: also as a DM, should the polymorphed Skeleton Red Dragon escape somehow I'd probably use it as an excuse to start randomly dropping dragons on the party as they'd likely see it as an affront to their proud Draconic heritage that some upstart wizard would seek to create a facsimile using the remains of some lesser species. Thats actually a pretty awesome situation.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 20, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Payndz posted:

So use True Polymorph

I haven't looked up the spell yet to see if this even works with other casters, but with the E.Knight this can't ever work because they never get spells higher than 4th.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

The friendliness and total control parts of True Polymorph come from using the Object to Creature option.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
So what is the point of the Eldritch Knight even suppose to be? Dose it get anything that makes it anything but a strictly worse version of the bard?

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Vorpal Cat posted:

So what is the point of the Eldritch Knight even suppose to be? Dose it get anything that makes it anything but a strictly worse version of the bard?

So people can claim the fighter is exciting and gets cool powers :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always thought the point of Eldritch Knight-type classes was to be a non-poo poo fighter/wizard but it seems superfluous here.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Mage Knights are a classic idea but they need some real buff spells to make them work out, I didn't see much flipping through to make the Eldritch Knight work in my opinion at least. I'll dig through when I get home and see if I could build something out.

Edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2e2v36/5e_unlimited_cantrips_really/ looks like they fixed one thing at least, giving unlimited cantrips to wizards. So I guess they drug one thing over from 4e...and gave it to wizards.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 20, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vorpal Cat posted:

It's half-assed.

It seems clear that if you have a nonmagical Fighter, you can't just make your gish better than it. And if you have a normal Wizard, you can't be better there, either, on account of the swording.

So you can (1) make a class that's a weaker combo of both, which is what happened here and the 4e bladesinger, or (2) make a cool and unique class that's not just Fighter+Wizard, like the 4e swordmage.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's also just a victim of the kind of redundancy that every D&D edition since 3E's sprawling class systems and abundance of options create, you can easily make a Valor Bard or a Paladin a "mage knight" (and in fact Paladins come with a suite of melee-buffing and attack-based unique spells); there's just no point to it instead of having a fully-conceptualized warlord or something be the third Fighter path

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

It's half-assed.

It seems clear that if you have a nonmagical Fighter, you can't just make your gish better than it. And if you have a normal Wizard, you can't be better there, either, on account of the swording.

So you can (1) make a class that's a weaker combo of both, which is what happened here and the 4e bladesinger, or (2) make a cool and unique class that's not just Fighter+Wizard, like the 4e swordmage.

I really liked the way the swordmage was put together. It's too bad I never got to actually play 4E seriously so I could properly enjoy it.

It's kind of disappointing not to see some incarnation of it in 5E (I know, I know, wait for splats).

Daetrin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 20, 2014

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

dwarf74 posted:

It's half-assed.

Or (3) play a bard. But yea 90% of DnD hybrid classes seem completely useless because the action economy destroys almost any synergy between spell casting and melee.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Daetrin posted:

I really liked the way the swordmage was put together. It's too bad I never got to actually play 4E seriously so I could properly enjoy it.

It's kind of disappointing not to see some incarnation of it in 5E (I know, I know, wait for splats).

On the plus side with how different the two editions are, I foresee 4E having a pretty long shelf life (I man, hell 3.5 and 2E still get play after all these years) so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a group together for it, especially now that books are easier to find used.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Daetrin posted:

Oh man I play a level 15 4E shielding swordmage right now in a Dark Sun game. It's the best class I've ever played. You do like no damage but there's just a great amount of shenanigans, you're impossible to hit, and the mechanic of trying to be as far away from the creature you have marked makes combat interesting. To me the 4E swordmage is just so well-designed.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

slydingdoor posted:

The friendliness and total control parts of True Polymorph come from using the Object to Creature option.

Note that making Object to Creature permanent means the creature is no longer loyal/friendly to you.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

Mage Knights are a classic idea but they need some real buff spells to make them work out, I didn't see much flipping through to make the Eldritch Knight work in my opinion at least. I'll dig through when I get home and see if I could build something out.

Edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2e2v36/5e_unlimited_cantrips_really/ looks like they fixed one thing at least, giving unlimited cantrips to wizards. So I guess they drug one thing over from 4e...and gave it to wizards.
There's a number of ways to do a magic fighter build. There's the buff based fighter like you mention, or the Duskblade version where you hit someone with a sword and a spell with the same action, or the Magus version that hits people with a sword and casts a spell at a reduced action cost, or the Swordsage type that has spells that do weapon based damage + other neat tricks (my favorite method).

The Eldritch Knight is limited to abjuration and evocation, right? Do they have a way to hit and evocate at the same time? Or cast spells as a swift action?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

You get to be a fighter who can buff themselves if the team never does, or you get to have another buff if they do. I think having a million feats and doubleturns and multiattacks is fun, so I'm gonna be playing one. I'll be making opp attacks with cantrips or Hideous Laughter and doing arcane archery.

The fightbard is pretty mediocre at fighting because they don't get good buffs on their list, they have to wait until level 10 to get to add 2. They're better off being casters imo. Multiclassing into Lore Bard is good though for picking excellent buffs off the paladin list at Bard level 6 and 10, like Elemental Weapon and Find Steed, Circle of Power, Crusader's Mantle, and the Auras. Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard 6 can do outrageous healing with Aura of Vitality, 2d6+5 to a single target within 40 ft as a bonus action every round for 10 rounds with a 3rd level slot. That's 120 hp on average if you channel the whole thing. And you have skills.

Nihilarian posted:

The Eldritch Knight is limited to abjuration and evocation, right? Do they have a way to hit and evocate at the same time? Or cast spells as a swift action?
You get to pick 4 spells at levels 3, 8, 14 and 20 that can come from any school. At level 7 you can cantrip and attack once as a bonus action, at level 18 you can cast a spell and do the same.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 20, 2014

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

Some of us have been playing for 18+ months dude.

You're either a grog-tard or a masochist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

On the plus side with how different the two editions are, I foresee 4E having a pretty long shelf life (I man, hell 3.5 and 2E still get play after all these years) so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a group together for it, especially now that books are easier to find used.

Someday, hopefully! Right now I'm GMing one Fate game and co-GMing a second one so while I may whine about not playing 4E the reality is I don't have time to.
(In fact the only reason I really have time to GM the Fate games is because of how incredibly easy it is. Prep time? What's that?)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ruckby posted:

You're either a grog-tard or a masochist.

Your passive-aggressiveness is powerful XD.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jack the Lad posted:

Note that making Object to Creature permanent means the creature is no longer loyal/friendly to you.
Was that changed from the PHB alpha to the final version? Because if so, that's a dick move on the part of Mearls and co.

Still, if you find a large enough boulder you can have a Balor on your side for an hour. And at the end of it, you tell him to teleport directly above anything you want to squash.

Incidentally, if necromancers are constantly having to recast Animate Dead to keep those members of their skeleton army within 60' under control, that doesn't make them much of a threat as NPC supervillains. It'd be like spinning plates, running around trying to remember which of their undead horde are about to turn on them every hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

slydingdoor posted:

I think having a million feats and doubleturns and multiattacks is fun, so I'm gonna be playing one.
It's cool if you find it fun, but just to be clear here you're talking about 3 more feats than other classes and 1 extra action (it's not a full doubleturn) per short rest.

Once you hit level 17 you get 1 more additional action, but at level 17 casters get level 9 spells (including the ability to permanently turn into a dragon).

Also raising some skeletons will give you lots more extra turns and attacks than being a Fighter.

Payndz posted:

Incidentally, if necromancers are constantly having to recast Animate Dead to keep those members of their skeleton army within 60' under control, that doesn't make them much of a threat as NPC supervillains. It'd be like spinning plates, running around trying to remember which of their undead horde are about to turn on them every hour or so.
You'd give them coloured armbands or something I guess. But it's pretty chill once you've got them set up. Wake up in the morning, renew your control, and they're all on the same timer.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 20, 2014