Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

mechaet posted:

Why is anyone continuing to give those guys any attention, at all? After they bilked their kickstarter backers into overpaying for TUG licenses, who would want to hear from these guys anymore?

(I didn't back their kickstarter)

It's almost like you have no idea what you're talking about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I am entertained by their videos and really want to play with the mod loadout they're using, which doesn't mean I condone all their actions. Hope this helps answer your question.

Also I can sort of laugh at the daft arses who backed a game based around an internet lets play show.

It really does look like quite a good pack, though I prefer more constrained ones, usually themed too, like a tech focused modpack or a magic focused modpack.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Yogscast Complete is a lot of fun. I played on their unofficial fan server for a little while. Ended up being too frustrating with so many players on, it was crashing and chugging constantly. A goon run server would probably be the way to go, the only other servers running it are kind of scummy with their donations.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

blackflare posted:

Yogscast Complete is a lot of fun. I played on their unofficial fan server for a little while. Ended up being too frustrating with so many players on, it was crashing and chugging constantly. A goon run server would probably be the way to go, the only other servers running it are kind of scummy with their donations.

Yeah, I'm a mod on the Myranium server, and unfortunately the pack isn't very forgiving when there are 30-40 people on at once. We are really hoping that the 3.0 rewrite happens soon so that we can hopefully have the server more stable than we can currently get it, though the two main admins have done a pretty good job ironing out as many kinks as they can.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I could not imagine playing yogscast complete with independent players. I imagine a third running buildcraft poo poo, another third doing chunkloaded pumps and quarries from enderio, and the last group shipping out Mystcraft ages so they can get some interesting places.

My friend and I were thinking of skyblocking when we get bored of yogscast complete. I tried AS again to ponder how this might go. I was thinking about how to deal with hunger. This time it was less of an issue because I knew it was coming, so I started farming. For newbies, I figured a few things in the quest book may fix this:

1. If not there already, an entry for composting saplings for dirt. Acceptance criteria is two dirt blocks. Player keeps them. Mention hunger mechanics--food is half or less rewarding as usual--here. Make the reward include carrot seeds.

2. Follow-on quest log entry for handling the carrot seeds. Mention some of the interesting seeds they may find from sifting dirt. Entry completes with submission of one carrot. The loot could be one of a selection of ex nihilo seeds.

I think doing this will help new players from starving to death, getting frustrated, and then assuming they are not into skyblock.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I've been playing YCC single player for a while now and IMO it's the most stable and successful everything-and-the-kitchen-sink pack to date.
It's missing practically nothing, for better or for worse, but still completely functional with it.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I think Yogscast Complete was a spin off from Resonant Rise, but has grown in enough popularity to eclipse it. The RR guys do good, stable packs from what I've seen.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I started a YCC server through AWS recently for my own personal use. Something that would be persistent to allow chunk loading, raw materials hoarding, shenanigans, etc...So far, I like the pack quite a bit. It very much leaves it open for you to do whatever you want...less directed if you will than AS, in my opinion.

I also like that there aren't a million different types of copper, tin or other ores in the world gen. Lot of packs don't take the time to make that happen and it's so drat nice not to have to deal with that.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My friend and I were thinking of skyblocking when we get bored of yogscast complete. I tried AS again to ponder how this might go. I was thinking about how to deal with hunger. This time it was less of an issue because I knew it was coming, so I started farming. For newbies, I figured a few things in the quest book may fix this:

The biggest thing they need to add is a quest about the watering can. It is basically a fast forward button on the slow and boring beginning stuff. Once you get that food, dirt, wood, etc. are easy to get... at least in small numbers. Real automation is tons better, so it is a nice intermediate step that isn't TOO overpowered.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

edgeman83 posted:

The biggest thing they need to add is a quest about the watering can. It is basically a fast forward button on the slow and boring beginning stuff. Once you get that food, dirt, wood, etc. are easy to get... at least in small numbers. Real automation is tons better, so it is a nice intermediate step that isn't TOO overpowered.

OK that is true. Maybe the watering can would make good reward for the carrot quest idea I had.

When you mentioned this, I remembered in this yogscast game a friend and I are playing that I was doing base stuff while he mined. He was starving so I got some crops in a jiffy just strolling around with the watering can.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is there any kind of mod for 1.6.4 that shows other players on your UI, or better yet, your map? I'm using Mapwriter in an MP server with a friend and it would be super handy if we could see each other on it. As it is when we go hiking through a forest together we always end up having to constantly ask "where are you?" because it's so easy to lose each other even with nametags showing through blocks.

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations

Vib Rib posted:

Is there any kind of mod for 1.6.4 that shows other players on your UI, or better yet, your map? I'm using Mapwriter in an MP server with a friend and it would be super handy if we could see each other on it. As it is when we go hiking through a forest together we always end up having to constantly ask "where are you?" because it's so easy to lose each other even with nametags showing through blocks.

Both Zan's and Rei's minimap has that option, mapwriter is pretty much the only one out of the popular map mods that doesn't support it. Out of the two Zan's is probably the way to go.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SebastianK posted:

Both Zan's and Rei's minimap has that option, mapwriter is pretty much the only one out of the popular map mods that doesn't support it. Out of the two Zan's is probably the way to go.
I must be suddenly stupid because I couldn't find Zan's minimap almost anywhere. It apparently evolved into something called "Voxelmap" but I can't find that either. The MC forums page is deleted/locked, the follow-up thread is locked by request, the download link is dead, the guy's page is empty, and even installation tutorial videos on Youtube are suddenly private. It's like there's a blackout on this mod. Only by following an old Mediafire link could I finally get a downloadable version. I guess it's being abandoned?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Uhhh I think he went fuckgoons or whatever the Minecraft equivalent is. Something like "I hate always being the second fiddle map" and took it all down.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Modderation uses JourneyMap and it shows players/mobs.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Speaking of Yogscast Complete, a friend of mine has been having problems with his Nitrous Networks server. Dartcraft bombs will randomly spawn and start blowing up massive chunks of the map.

Also his backups keep restoring badly but I think that's a different problem. Last two times it restored as a sandstone replica of hogwarts with random chests full of diamonds, followed by a random cityscape made of wool on a flatworld upon deleting the exploding hogwarts map.

phorge
Jan 10, 2001
I got banned for not reading the Leper Colony. Thanks OMGWTFBBQ!

Vib Rib posted:

I think JourneyMap should do this.

Edit:
Wow, I should have refreshed this tab... beaten badly.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Verizian posted:

Speaking of Yogscast Complete, a friend of mine has been having problems with his Nitrous Networks server. Dartcraft bombs will randomly spawn and start blowing up massive chunks of the map.

Also his backups keep restoring badly but I think that's a different problem. Last two times it restored as a sandstone replica of hogwarts with random chests full of diamonds, followed by a random cityscape made of wool on a flatworld upon deleting the exploding hogwarts map.

The first problem is solved by removing DartCraft which is honestly kind of a lovely mod. Even Simon, Lewis, and Duncan complain about it being an obnoxious mod in the most recent episode of their latest series with the pack. To put that into perspective, Lewis unironically enjoys Forestry bee breeding.

I have no idea what the second problem is but it might be ChocolateQuest dungeons spawning, the way they spawn doesn't so much work with the surrounding terrain as it does completely trample it in an incredibly ugly way.

edit: and before you say, "but yogscast complete has DartCraft built in and we don't want to make a custom pack," Forge doesn't give a poo poo if the client has a mod that the server does not have, so if you remove it from the server you can just leave the client pack alone.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 19, 2014

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Working on the uninstall. Third "new map" was a giant place called the Imperial City with a massive museum and a bunch of other weirdness. we're also spawning at odd coordinates like -500 +7000 height 5 and everything is a flatworld surrounding it. Don't think this is just a regular dungeon.

Dartcraft uninstalled and the 4th new map is CTM Diversity. I've told him to just file a ticket with the host because this is pants on head retarded now.

5th map is the TNT 2012 olympic stadium and the random explosions are back. this time with regular old TNT spawning in mid air already lit.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 19, 2014

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Verizian posted:

Working on the uninstall. Third "new map" was a giant place called the Imperial City with a massive museum and a bunch of other weirdness. we're also spawning at odd coordinates like -500 +7000 height 5 and everything is a flatworld surrounding it. Don't think this is just a regular dungeon.

Dartcraft uninstalled and the 4th new map is CTM Diversity. I've told him to just file a ticket with the host because this is pants on head retarded now.

5th map is the TNT 2012 olympic stadium and the random explosions are back. this time with regular old TNT spawning in mid air already lit.

This sounds less like a bug and more like someone is trolling your friend at this point.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fenrisulfr posted:

This sounds less like a bug and more like someone is trolling your friend at this point.

That, or forestry is striking back again. :argh:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

loving bees.

VV You just proved you're a terrible person and shouldn't be allowed to talk.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 20, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bees are kinda neat, just really slow. Like most of forestry, it seems like it's something to be doing while you do something else.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Forestry Bees is like all the time and effort of Pokemon breeding, except without the conveniences of the more recent games and the ability to show off your creations to the internet for e-points. If you have to do it Gendustry is almost mandatory and for most of the items you can get with bees you can automate other methods faster, more easily and more conveniently.

Also gently caress exploding bees.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thyrork posted:

If you still use forestry at this point, you deserve to have your world corrupted.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
If you thought Agrarian Skies was too grindy, do NOT play Crash Landing.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ixjuvin posted:

If you thought Agrarian Skies was too grindy, do NOT play Crash Landing.

Better yet, don't play Crash Landing at all, because Enviromine is a bunch of bullshit and staying hydrated in that map is a treadmill you cannot ever escape from.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In Agrarian Skies, is there some trick towards getting your first autonomous activator? The recipe is pretty drat steep. I kind of see there is a little more variety than I first thought towards composting if you start farming smartly, but I can't really see a good method towards getting an autonomous activator without a whole lot of pounding on a cobble gen and a whole lot of standing by a sifter.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I typically go for an igneous extruder first which makes everything else come easy...free cobble!

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

In Agrarian Skies, is there some trick towards getting your first autonomous activator? The recipe is pretty drat steep. I kind of see there is a little more variety than I first thought towards composting if you start farming smartly, but I can't really see a good method towards getting an autonomous activator without a whole lot of pounding on a cobble gen and a whole lot of standing by a sifter.

That's intentional. Jadedcat made the AA recipe much much harder so that you have to stand in front of a sifter for while. You should pop out the necessary diamond in 2 or 3 stacks of gravel. Keep in mind, if you're using a traditional cobblegen, use a hammer instead of a pick, and you'll halve the steps you have to do.

Also enable mouse keeps so you can stand in front of a sifter with 5 stacks of cobble and sift them with one click.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Heffer posted:

That's intentional. Jadedcat made the AA recipe much much harder so that you have to stand in front of a sifter for while. You should pop out the necessary diamond in 2 or 3 stacks of gravel. Keep in mind, if you're using a traditional cobblegen, use a hammer instead of a pick, and you'll halve the steps you have to do.

Also enable mouse keeps so you can stand in front of a sifter with 5 stacks of cobble and sift them with one click.

What do you mean be "enable mouse?" Do you mean that with just holding rclick I can sift all the gravel? Or is it something else? I'm estimating that sifting 2-3 stacks of gravel would take 10-15 minutes of rather mundane work.

Hitch posted:

I typically go for an igneous extruder first which makes everything else come easy...free cobble!

I was thinking about that since that's much less boring than standing at a cobble generator with a hammer, bopping on the stuff.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What do you mean be "enable mouse?" Do you mean that with just holding rclick I can sift all the gravel? Or is it something else? I'm estimating that sifting 2-3 stacks of gravel would take 10-15 minutes of rather mundane work.

He meant to type "mouse keys". Lets you hold a keyboard button down to emulate mashing the right mouse button.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mzbundifund posted:

He meant to type "mouse keys". Lets you hold a keyboard button down to emulate mashing the right mouse button.
Heh ok. I think I'll end up cheating in the AA. My general rule for this kind of stuff is to cheat something in if I feel compelled to try to put a weight on a key or a mouse button to simulate a button press.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's a fine idea. It's meaningless busywork for sure.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mzbundifund posted:

That's a fine idea. It's meaningless busywork for sure.

I kind of wonder then what Jadedcat's motivation was for making the autonomous activator so difficult. I think it would have made more sense if an autonomous activator was a freebie in a quest that lead to using it to autosift. I have to review the quest book because instead I think there was a quest for building the thing in the first place. That implies a different emphasis. I can understand some concern over starting to use the activators because things start to get close to post-scarcity. I think that's a part of the game where a lot of people start losing interest. For me, I normally lose interest in a game around the time I make the power armor these days. Between full energy shields and a solar generator, most stuff can't even take me down half a heart.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So all this talk about Agrarian Skies got me interested enough to try it out. But I can't turn in the QDS quest. Looking around, people say it has to consume the hopper, but my quest book doesn't say anything like that and even if it did, I have no button to submit it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

djw175 posted:

So all this talk about Agrarian Skies got me interested enough to try it out. But I can't turn in the QDS quest. Looking around, people say it has to consume the hopper, but my quest book doesn't say anything like that and even if it did, I have no button to submit it.

It's a bit unintuitive but you have to "select quest" from the book then right click the QDS with the book to get it to activate the quest on that QDS.

Put the hoper on top of the QDS then put the wood in the hoper and it completes.

You then need to break the hopper (with the pick) and manually submit it to the book so you don't get a free hopper.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

djw175 posted:

If I recall correctly, you set the QDS to have the Task at hand. Then you take the hopper in your inventory, open the book and manually detect the hopper and submit the quest. It should remove it from your inventory and give you credit.

Edit: Beaten.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
How do you search for an entire mods items in 1.7 NEI again? I'm sure I saw someone post about it in the thread a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Sultan Tarquin posted:

How do you search for an entire mods items in 1.7 NEI again? I'm sure I saw someone post about it in the thread a while back.

The search includes description text and mod names so just put in the name of the mod and you get all the things.

edit: nevermind, this is 1.6, I haven't tried 1.7 yet

Griz fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread