Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
My favorite belt would be the Faiz Gear for looks and sounds, but my favorite henshin is Fourze's. That countdown is just too awesome. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stop using henshin as a noun you fuckin nerds.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

WWWJDIC posted:

変身 【へんしん】(n,vs) metamorphosis; disguise; transformation; shapeshifting; morphing; (P)

It is a noun you collossal idiot.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Literally The Worst posted:

Stop using henshin as a noun you fuckin nerdso-baka-chan-tachi.

Honestly, and maybe its just me, "henshin" doesn't bother me when English speakers use it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Potsticker posted:

It is a noun you collossal idiot.

Then say transformation you twit. It's not a word that there's no loving english translation for, or it's hard to translate. The only reason people insist on using it is to be giant loving weebs. It's dumb. Just loving say "transform" or "transformation" Jesus loving Christ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Then say transformation you twit. It's not a word that there's no loving english translation for, or it's hard to translate. The only reason people insist on using it is to be giant loving weebs. It's dumb. Just loving say "transform" or "transformation" Jesus loving Christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2iPIPjUoBo

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Yeah, giant loving weebs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyroi posted:

Yeah, giant loving weebs.

If "transformation a-go-go" is right, I don't want to be. :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I did say transformation in my post. But I'm not going to raise a stink in a thread where the series being talked about has an iconic scene and phrase and using that phrase to describe the scene. How gigantic of a goon are you that your jimmies get rustled when someone shortens "the scene where someone says 'henshin' and transforms" to "henshin sequence" or simply "henshin?"

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So why are we talking about the proper use of non-english words in sentences in the thread that has two Japanese words in the title?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Potsticker posted:

I did say transformation in my post. But I'm not going to raise a stink in a thread where the series being talked about has an iconic scene and phrase and using that phrase to describe the scene. How gigantic of a goon are you that your jimmies get rustled when someone shortens "the scene where someone says 'henshin' and transforms" to "henshin sequence" or simply "henshin?"

Perhaps I yelled at you because you were a condescending fuckhead with bad opinions about literally everything who instead of just not commenting on a thing that didn't apply to them decided to double down and go "heh no it's YOU who's the loving idiot."

Suck my whole dick.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mods please change the thread title to- NEW Special Effects Thread: Masked Riders and Power Rangers

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Potsticker posted:

Mods please change the thread title to- NEW Special Effects Thread: Masked Riders and Power Rangers

Oh no I've been undone oh noooooooooo.

Realtalk if you can't tell the difference between doing a thing while making a joke and doing it for serious because you're dumb you got some problems.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Realtalk my last post was a joke, or perhaps YOU are the one incapable yadda yadda okay I lied at the beginning because I'm still joking around here.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Will you two just get a room together already?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Will you two just get a room together already?*
*Getting a room is an English expression for moving a sexually charged situation to a private situation

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Can we go to a Love Hotel or would that be too "weeb?" :allears:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
You should probably localize it to shady motel TBH

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Honestly I'd love to go back to people posting their favorite Rider belt toys, sounds and poses because that was way more interesting to read.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My favorite Henshin is from Masked Rider Dragon Knight, My favorite Transformation is from Ryuki :shepface:

(I love Faize and Kabuto a lot; the countdown on Fourze is also great)

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 20, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Post your favorite souchaku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCb_4dyTiY

Gordo, obviously.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I just realized something.

I lost my computer a few days ago, using a spare that's a bit not good, motherboard is fried all that.

I SHOULD be able to recover everything, but God knows when that'll be.

I lost all of the toku I had on that computer. I could complain about all of my Bioman I lost, and I have been to myself, or my Juspion or my Gavan, or my Changeman so on so forth.

But motherfucker, I JUST downloaded that Kamen Rider Black torrent! That entire thing is now down the drain.

This has been "Complaining about a minor problem in the face of a much greater one" theater.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Back your poo poo up. You could probably fill a backpack of hard drives with toku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

I lost my computer a few days ago, using a spare that's a bit not good, motherboard is fried all that.

I lost all of the toku I had on that computer. I could complain about all of my Bioman I lost, and I have been to myself, or my Juspion or my Gavan, or my Changeman so on so forth.

But motherfucker, I JUST downloaded that Kamen Rider Black torrent! That entire thing is now down the drain.

This has been "Complaining about a minor problem in the face of a much greater one" theater.

You should still be able to get the stuff that was on your old hard drive without much trouble.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Burkion posted:

Same deal happened to me a few weeks ago. My hard drive died and I lost about 10 years of personal files and my toku folder. My other hard drive is all my movies. Only thing I can't really recover is Zyuranger.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ToQGer is really turning it up isn't it? It's been consistently great for awhile now. I just figured out the joke about Akira today, can't believe I didn't figure it out faster. Or maybe i'm wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RBX posted:

ToQGer is really turning it up isn't it? It's been consistently great for awhile now. I just figured out the joke about Akira today, can't believe I didn't figure it out faster. Or maybe i'm wrong.

ToQger definitely has the potential to be interesting, but a lot of it is based on the beats of the villains.

Also, What was the joke you apparently didn't figure out until now?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He talks about dying in battle because most of the other 6ths died?

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Potsticker posted:

My favorite belt is the Faiz gear. I love its little Smart Brain carrying case and how Takumi takes it out and puts it all together before strapping it on. Every other Rider seems to have magical belts that CG around them or just materialize out of nowhere. But Takumi actually puts on his belt and for me, it makes it less of some magic thing that only the hero can/gets to use.

For sounds, GaiaMemories are hard to beat, but the DecaDriver does a good job. Picking a favorite is tough because they're both so good. I think the Memories have a bit of an edge due to how many different ones there are. They are so fun to say, too! Wizard gets an honorable mention for it's catchy shabadoobie jingle, and Faiz's sounds were great as well.

As for posing and actually transforming, OOOs is pretty tops. I love Takumi and Kusaka dialing in for their powers, but there's something about Eiji swiping down the medals and hitting his pose that I just adore. Fourze gets pretty close as well with his countdown and arm raised up towards space. And I love Kusaka's little flip he does with the Kaixa driver.

As for belt mechanisims, secondary Riders I think win out here, Zeronos especially, but Diend gets high marks as well. I especially love on Zeronos' belt how the track line motif changes letters based on what card gets used and the form it represents. Meteor also had a really interesting belt with it's crazy design and buttons. The Birth Driver was also pretty neat. On the flip side Delta and Beast both had really terrible belts. Delta spoke into the weird little handset thing and even though it kinda looked like a cool Championship Wrestling Belt, Beast really just had a big hunk of plastic with doors.

Blade, Ryuki, Kiva and Hibiki ( understandably with the final one) all are sort of in the back, though the "Advent" soundbite was especially memorable and the Ixa Knuckle I thought was kind of cool looking, though some of the actors seemed to have trouble slotting it in. Den-O's belt was kind of weak in that all the forms were decided by which button you pushed, which felt weird because theoretically Ryotaro should have been able to access his four basic forms from the get-go!

Gaim has probably the worst belt overall. Kouta strikes kind of a cool pose, but the design of the Sengoku Driver and accompanying lockseeds are all over the place. First off, it has a tiny yellow and white plastic chopping sword on it, and is otherwise a blank hunk of black plastic. The lockseeds themselves are fairly colorful, but why do the Helheim fruit turn into locks? And then the belt chops them instead of unlocking? Oh, and they have to be opened and closed first? With the chopping and juicing from the Genesis Diver, fruit is the overwhelming stronger theme, so why locks? Oh, and the Kiwami lockseed has sort of a key on it as well-- which fits into the Kachidoki lockseed both of which aren't really fruits anymore. Kachidoki especially is just a rectangular cube of orange. The sounds are okay, there's a couple of standout phrases like "Mister Dangerous," but overall it can't stand up to others which far surpass it.

Which show did I forget? Oh. Kabuto! Okay, the Zectors were pretty cool. With good sounds and simple, but neat mechanisms they don't top any categories, but don't manage to take the gold. It's okay, though because Kabuto pretty much has the best suits. It also has has Tendou, so you win some you lose some.

Finally, Accel gets props for having the most-- unique method of shouting "Henshin!" One that will be hard to top I think for a long while.

Holy poo poo that's a lot of dumb words

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twistys Rapture posted:

Holy poo poo that's a lot of dumb words

Which do you like, Twisty?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RBX posted:

He talks about dying in battle because most of the other 6ths died?

Then apparently I missed that meta-joke then.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

RBX posted:

ToQGer is really turning it up isn't it? It's been consistently great for awhile now.

I just like that line switching, which started out as just a dumb gimmick, has been crucially important to the plot of at least two episodes now. I mean, yeah it's still a dumb gimmick, but they've at least been able to justify it with this episode, and the one where Right fools Schwarz into thinking the whole team is fighting when it's really just him.

I still found this past week's episode still only just okay though. Could really have done without the beginning with Wagon, but it was nice to see Noire get called out on her poo poo to a degree.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm definitely a lot more hyped for ToQger these days than I was in the beginning. I still like the villains more than the rangers, minus Tokacchi and Akira, because they just have such great designs and they're smarter than most, but the whole team is growing on me. Chou Chou/Super Duper ToQ Dai-Oh has an amazing name and finisher, if a lackluster design. It's too early to lose mobility already! But most importantly, Shadow Zed probably has the best Sentai villain design I've ever seen, with Dark Red Buster/Enter as the closest competition.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Twelve by Pies posted:

I mean, yeah it's still a dumb gimmick, but they've at least been able to justify it with this episode, and the one where Right fools Schwarz into thinking the whole team is fighting when it's really just him.

Except they didn't actually take the opportunity to sneak onto the train. They waited until he figured it out to start heading that way, and Right just held him off with an old fashioned "you're still fighting me". That actually annoyed me more than if they didn't try to use the gimmick for something.

Also, everyone who complained about Kyolug being the Daigo Sentai should be making GBS threads their pants at this latest episode, because it sounds an awful lot like every fight inside the Shadow Line is going to have the power restriction, so 1v1 boss fights until infinity.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This is different from that and second I'm sure every ep will have a different ranger and not just Right every time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe they'll switch up who gets to be the one ranger who gets all the power, giving everyone a focus episode? Or maybe HQ will send the Conductor a new gadget to power them up or something.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The ToQgers are about due for a non-mecha upgrade soon, they'll probably get some Super Form that works just fine in Shadow Towns.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Awww man when you guys see the power up you're gonna hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ladies and gentlemen. Kamen Rider Drive.

• Locked thread