Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Sirotan posted:

So a beer that is neither white nor a stout.

BRB inventing a new style of beer called a purple porter. It's a brown ale with nori added, for color.

Well I mean witbiers aren't white.

Edit: Speaking of white stouts, I've heard Carton's Regular Coffee is loving delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

What the gently caress is a white stout??

Either something like http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2372/105204/ or maybe a chocolate stout using yeast you'd normally use in a white ale?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Midorka posted:

Edit: Speaking of white stouts, I've heard Carton's Regular Coffee is loving delicious.

It's a mindscrew for sure, and it is freaking delicious.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Man I'm plowing through this New Glarus Scream. So good. Seriously so good.

Ann Arbor goons, ABC has their 3000th batch beer up. It's a neat take on a proper British IPA. One of the better beers I've had from them in a good long time.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Sirotan posted:

Basically. The brewer from Cascade who does a coffee blonde stout said he called it that just to gently caress with people.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

White stouts are a fun novelty. I had the cascade oblique black and white stout and it was pretty tasty but it's hard to wrap your head around all that roastiness coming out of a light colored beer.

Midorka posted:

Carton Regular Coffee was one of the most talked about beers of EBF last year. It's crazy good and they're canning it soon.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

a worthy uhh posted:

So, uh, I'm drinking Pipeworks "Hey Careful Man Theres A Beverage Here" and it does not look, smell, or taste like a "white stout brewed with lactose sugar with cacao, coffee, and vanilla". What the hell is this?

The Big Lebowski is a popular movie among the bearded crowd, can we make some money off of that?

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
I've been thinking about style for a while, and I don't like the version that we're stuck with as definition. It serves us all well to remember that those only came into common parlance when Michael Jackson was working with the GABF. Essentially, the GABF gave out awards in defined styles as an opportunity for breweries to market their product. If you've judged BJCP competition, you know that the medals don't really mean anything concrete. It just means that the beer showed well to those people on that day in that room etc. There are a lot of variables.

Because there was a marketing component involved, the idea that there are new styles emerging all the time has caught on. So we get Cascadian Dark Ale or White Stout or Australasian Pale Ale (which, I mean... come on. Are we gonna break it down by state? So-Cal IPA?) and these things are not really styles. I don't believe that any of those are styles, but I do believe that people like to win awards.

I think that styles come about from historical moments and develop more or less organically as the result of new ingredients becoming available or technological processes becoming more sophisticated or some manner of cultural signifier. Pilsner, for instance is technological development: separation of yeast strain, more delicate malting practices all emerge at around the same time. It's inevitable that someone would brew what we think of as Pilsner because the variables existed. Double IPA is really the result of there suddenly being C-hops in quantity. Certainly the credit goes to Vinnie Cilurzo, but at some point someone else would have thought of it; probably not all that long down the line. The variables were there so the argument that it was a matter of time is a good one.

I'd love for the next book to be a discussion of how beer styles develop due to technology, ingredients and societal pressures. I think that would be supremely interesting for a handful of real nerds.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

saints gambit posted:

I'd love for the next book to be a discussion of how beer styles develop due to technology, ingredients and societal pressures. I think that would be supremely interesting for a handful of real nerds.

I'm guessing you must have if you're a BJCP judge, but have you read Designing Great Beers? It does at least a little of this to varying extents on a number of styles. Agree that a deeper dive would be really interesting, though. DGB is getting pretty old and is certainly dry reading.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I'm guessing you must have if you're a BJCP judge, but have you read Designing Great Beers? It does at least a little of this to varying extents on a number of styles. Agree that a deeper dive would be really interesting, though. DGB is getting pretty old and is certainly dry reading.

Ray's a good author, but you're right about the fact that DGB is dated. I didn't get to it until about two years ago and to be honest, so much of the information in there had been co-opted by brewing software programs that I found I knew a lot of it without having tackled the original source. I talked to him about it at a conference once, and he was aware of the problem. It's not often you get to define an entire system of thought like that, so he wasn't bitter about it. I would have been bitter.

I suspect that it's all cumulative. We tend to represent beers as being in families, as though things developed divergently in little pockets of Europe. If writing beer history has taught me anything, it's that information travels a lot quicker than you would have assumed in 17th and 18th century Europe. You get an explosion of styles around 1830/1840 because there's suddenly a bunch of applicable technology and that would have spread incredibly rapidly.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Sirotan posted:

BRB inventing a new style of beer called a purple porter. It's a brown ale with nori added, for color.

It's just a new marketing ploy that some breweries are doing right now to mean a "strong beer", however historically there were things known as white stouts but it just mostly meant strong beer prior to stout meaning a stronger version of porter and such.

Like a recipe for a white stout now a days would be something along the lines of:
19 liters:
7.2kg Maris Otter
0.9kg Flaked Oats
0.9kg Flaked Barley
1.36kg Crystal Malt

But again, a lot of it is marketing ploy but there was a thing back in the day. :)

Edit: How did I miss ChickenArise's post when I wrote this. :negative:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 20, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Just saw that WTF is now sold out, sorry for anyone who missed out! By the way, I've talked with a few goons already about their GABF plans and there's enough to where I'm gonna put together a bottle share on the Friday of that week. We have a potential location and I'm just trying to get a preliminary headcount of who'd be interested, so pm me or just say something.

Tons of stuff going down in Texas this weekend. Jester King is releasing La Vie En Rose batch 3 AND Biere De Miel batch 2, Freetail is also releasing two new sours :yayclod:

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Woah, Vivant's Plowhorse is nuts.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

pugnax posted:

Woah, Vivant's Plowhorse is nuts.

Unless they released it recently, you're also probably drinking a 9+ month old version. I think it's exactly what you expect out of it a Belgian stout. The BA'd version wasn't terribly memorable, but to be fair, that was at the end of a long day of drinking. I do remember really liking one of their brewery-only sours at the same time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

air- posted:

Just saw that WTF is now sold out, sorry for anyone who missed out! By the way, I've talked with a few goons already about their GABF plans and there's enough to where I'm gonna put together a bottle share on the Friday of that week. We have a potential location and I'm just trying to get a preliminary headcount of who'd be interested, so pm me or just say something.

Just realized I am retarded and will be in Boston for my sister's wedding the week of GABF :saddowns: So despite past promises, no goonmeets for me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

air- posted:

By the way, I've talked with a few goons already about their GABF plans and there's enough to where I'm gonna put together a bottle share on the Friday of that week. We have a potential location and I'm just trying to get a preliminary headcount of who'd be interested, so pm me or just say something.
Sure, I'm potentially interested. I have friends coming in for GABF but they may not be in town until later Friday night, I think they both work through Friday.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Fluo posted:

It's just a new marketing ploy that some breweries are doing right now to mean a "strong beer", however historically there were things known as white stouts but it just mostly meant strong beer prior to stout meaning a stronger version of porter and such.

exactly, "stout porter" just meant a stronger porter. the few modern "white stouts" that i've had were not very good, particularly the Night Shift version.

took the Cicerone Certified Beer Server (trademark!) exam cold the other morning and got a 98%. the funny part is that i got a few pure guesses correct and i was absolutely certain about the one i got wrong (something about lager flavors). now to drink though the BJCP guide again with my less-experienced coworkers and get paid for it, poor me...

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Funky Buddha event at CK was cool. I was severely unimpressed with their IPAs... That said, their floridian gone wild was awesome, their snowed in was really drat good, and their muy bointa apple brandy was f'ing awesome.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

danbanana posted:

Unless they released it recently, you're also probably drinking a 9+ month old version. I think it's exactly what you expect out of it a Belgian stout. The BA'd version wasn't terribly memorable, but to be fair, that was at the end of a long day of drinking. I do remember really liking one of their brewery-only sours at the same time.

Speaking of Vivant, they just announced in their newsletter a couple days ago that they're not brewing Plowhorse for the winter seasonal, but rather bringing back Tart Side of the Moon.

I am unreasonably excited by this news.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Do any of you Portland goons have access to Ale Apothecary Be Still or any of their other stuff currently on shelves? I know it's expensive so people might not want to trade but I'd do a cash+label type deal for one.

In drinking related news, I am having one of my 2009 Zhukov's, of which I assume there are probably fewer than 100 bottles still in existence. It's actually pretty drat good and there's little or no oxidation. I'm not even really a fan of Zhukov's and I'm going to be able to finish this by myself pretty easily (although my LoL play will probably suffer for it).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Schpyder posted:

Speaking of Vivant, they just announced in their newsletter a couple days ago that they're not brewing Plowhorse for the winter seasonal, but rather bringing back Tart Side of the Moon.

I am unreasonably excited by this news.

i would say so.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mars hit bottle shops out my way today. I went to my typical stop and they had a 1 bottle/customer limit. :smith:

While picking up the kid from Mrs. Doctor's parent's house, I stopped by another lovely looking spot with a surprising selection and they had full sixers on the shelf for the taking. :slick:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nth Doctor posted:

Mars hit bottle shops out my way today. I went to my typical stop and they had a 1 bottle/customer limit. :smith:

While picking up the kid from Mrs. Doctor's parent's house, I stopped by another lovely looking spot with a surprising selection and they had full sixers on the shelf for the taking. :slick:

It's really really good.

Which I can't say about this year's Oracle. Incredibly bitter, to the point that I'm going to unreserve a 6-pack that was coming in on Friday at my favorite beer store.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I made a beer run today and discovered an entire shelf of Dogfish Head Punkin, apparently they're taking a note from every retailer anywhere and putting the Halloween stuff out two months early. This is merely an observation, not a complaint because Punkin is goddamn delicious.

On a semi-related note, there is a two year old bottle of Southern Tier Pumking sitting in my fridge. Will I die if I drink it?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Potential BFF posted:

I made a beer run today and discovered an entire shelf of Dogfish Head Punkin, apparently they're taking a note from every retailer anywhere and putting the Halloween stuff out two months early. This is merely an observation, not a complaint because Punkin is goddamn delicious.

On a semi-related note, there is a two year old bottle of Southern Tier Pumking sitting in my fridge. Will I die if I drink it?

:can:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Potential BFF posted:

I actually have a two year old bottle of Pumking in my closet/cellar for my buddy's pumpkin beer tasting next month - will report back.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Potential BFF posted:

Not immediately.

The primary microvascular complications of drinking Pumking include damage to the eyes, kidneys, and nerves. Damage to the eyes, known as Pumking retinopathy, is caused by damage to the blood vessels in the retina of the eye, and can result in gradual vision loss and potentially blindness. Damage to the kidneys, known as Pumking nephropathy, can lead to tissue scarring, urine protein loss, and eventually chronic kidney disease, sometimes requiring dialysis or kidney transplant. Damage to the nerves of the body, known as Pumking neuropathy, is the most common complication of diabetes. The symptoms can include numbness, tingling, pain, and altered pain sensation, which can lead to damage to the skin. Pumking related foot problems (such as foot ulcers) may occur, and can be difficult to treat, occasionally requiring amputation. Additionally, proximal Pumking neuropathy causes painful muscle wasting and weakness.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Do any of you Portland goons have access to Ale Apothecary Be Still or any of their other stuff currently on shelves? I know it's expensive so people might not want to trade but I'd do a cash+label type deal for one.

In drinking related news, I am having one of my 2009 Zhukov's, of which I assume there are probably fewer than 100 bottles still in existence. It's actually pretty drat good and there's little or no oxidation. I'm not even really a fan of Zhukov's and I'm going to be able to finish this by myself pretty easily (although my LoL play will probably suffer for it).

I had a 2010, 2012, and 2014 Zhukov (and 2014 penultimate) on sunday and if the 2009 is anything like the 2010 then I'm jealous as hell. I did see that Zhukov sold out within a day, again. Oh well, I hope big sound doesn't sell out that quick.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Hauki posted:

Sure, I'm potentially interested. I have friends coming in for GABF but they may not be in town until later Friday night, I think they both work through Friday.

Awesome. Eyeballing a friday late afternoon/early evening start, but it depends on what our host can do since I'm basically asking a friend of a friend for help with a location. I'm sure they won't mind considering we'll share our beer with them of course...

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Yea, now I remember this thread having some sort of pumpkin beer....thing. I made a mistake didn't I?

I just want to drink pumpkin pie.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Potential BFF posted:

Yea, now I remember this thread having some sort of pumpkin beer....thing. I made a mistake didn't I?

Some of us hate it, some of us love it, but we all agree it gets released way too loving early.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Potential BFF posted:

Pumking ages ok. I hate it with a passion fresh, but aged isn't much worse.

Mix your Punkin with 90 Minute - half of each. It's a Nunkin and it's delicious. Usually that is the only pumpkin beer I drink in a given year unless I pick up some darker/non-spiced pumpkin beers.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

Pumking ages ok. I hate it with a passion fresh, but aged isn't much worse.

Mix your Punkin with 90 Minute - half of each. It's a Nunkin and it's delicious. Usually that is the only pumpkin beer I drink in a given year unless I pick up some darker/non-spiced pumpkin beers.

That sounds delicious. I've never had something from Dogfish that I didn't like, the Midas was a bit odd but I didn't hate it.

I like most beer styles but my absolute favorites are double and imperial IPAs. I liked Victory Hop Wallop when it was in production, Dirtwolf is good but not the same. Hoptimum is wonderful, as are Dogfish 90 and 120. I've been largely unimpressed with Terrapin stuff and I like Stone but their hype is kind of dumb.

I'm kind of bummed because the last three beers I've tried haven't really done it for me. My local store has had He'Brew Jewbilation 16 and St. Lenny's in stock forever and I just got around to trying them. I found them overly malty and sweet, which seems to be a thing with super high ABV IPAs, it's like they try to cut the bitter citrus with malt and they make a clingy sweet mess.

I also tried the Stone Social Distortion collaboration thing which wasn't awful but eh.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Warlock is the best pumpkin beer ever made and anyone who says otherwise is anti-Halloween.

Edit: also, unlike Southern Tier's other stouts, you won't get diabetes from drinking 1/4 of it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

Warlock is the best pumpkin beer ever made and anyone who says otherwise is anti-Halloween.

Edit: also, unlike Southern Tier's other stouts, you won't get diabetes from drinking 1/4 of it.

gently caress YEAH PUMPKIN BEER TALK.

The correct answer is: they're all gross, but at least Good Gourd Almighty properly says "gently caress it" and goes over the top with rum.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

The correct answer is: they're all gross, but at least Good Gourd Almighty properly says "gently caress it" and goes over the top with rum.

Yeah I am a believer in rum barrel pumpkin beer, like Rumpkin or St. Arnold Bishop Barrel 6, which is their Pumpkinator in rum barrels. I'm just super particular about herbal/spice beers and that combo works for me.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

To be fair, we are a little bit late in the season to be talking about pumpkin beers. I mean, July has already passed after all.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
Perhaps the only good thing about being in Ontario, with its backward retailing (we lost both Green Flash and Founders this week) is that the LCBO makes sure the goddamn pumpkin beers don't come out until September. Ridiculous.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

There is only O'Fallon's pumpkin beer.

But yeah, gently caress pumpkin beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I don't mind any unspiced pumpkin beers, and there seem to be more every year. They just have a little bit of body, but no 'pumpkin' (ie, pie) flavor. Stone's CCC was great for getting some vegetal notes out of it. Starr Hill makes a pumpkin porter (Boxcar something) that is one of the few beers of theirs that I consider picking up.

Potential BFF posted:

That sounds delicious. I've never had something from Dogfish that I didn't like, the Midas was a bit odd but I didn't hate it.

I like most beer styles but my absolute favorites are double and imperial IPAs. I liked Victory Hop Wallop when it was in production, Dirtwolf is good but not the same. Hoptimum is wonderful, as are Dogfish 90 and 120. I've been largely unimpressed with Terrapin stuff and I like Stone but their hype is kind of dumb.

I'm kind of bummed because the last three beers I've tried haven't really done it for me. My local store has had He'Brew Jewbilation 16 and St. Lenny's in stock forever and I just got around to trying them. I found them overly malty and sweet, which seems to be a thing with super high ABV IPAs, it's like they try to cut the bitter citrus with malt and they make a clingy sweet mess.

I also tried the Stone Social Distortion collaboration thing which wasn't awful but eh.

^^^This is wonderful. Pumpkin beer, Dogfish, DIPAs...please continue to post in this thread. :D