Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Wow I was able to save up $1200 this month! Too bad my bills are about $1600/mo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My ten day camping holiday, between site fees, kennel fees, gas, fuel, spending money and days out broke a grand. I'm kinda hoping half the pets are dead and we get better weather next year, that should keep the cost down.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mat_Drinks posted:

Dad Chat (last one I promise): Today we got the call that #2 had a completely healthy genetic panel and that it's a boy. Come February I'll have a second little grease monkey to teach proper auto insanity to. :cheers:

Congrats dude. Dad chat is ok, there's lots of us now :)

After about three weeks of my Miata being on jackstands it's finally put together (for now) and when I got it off the stands my son ran in the house and screamed MOMMY THE MIATA IS ON THE GROUND!

:3:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

My ten day camping holiday, between site fees, kennel fees, gas, fuel, spending money and days out broke a grand. I'm kinda hoping half the pets are dead and we get better weather next year, that should keep the cost down.

Eat your pets thus saving on looking after them AND cutting down on food bills for yourself

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Am I retarded or did the vw bus fire thread that I was reading this morning disappear?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Mat_Drinks posted:

Dad Chat (last one I promise): Today we got the call that #2 had a completely healthy genetic panel and that it's a boy. Come February I'll have a second little grease monkey to teach proper auto insanity to. :cheers:

Congrats, AI has got to be the most fertile subforum. I've got #2 due on August 26th. My 2 1/2 year old loves "helping" me work on cars. I'm kind of dreading the day when he develops the motor skills to actually start taking stuff apart. Right now he's pretty happy pretending to unbolt things with the screwdriver I usually let him play with.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slow is Fast posted:

Am I retarded or did the vw bus fire thread that I was reading this morning disappear?

This one? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658836

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

There it is, just showed up after a refresh. I have no idea wtf.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Slow is Fast posted:

There it is, just showed up after a refresh. I have no idea wtf.

You see, to make sure that the page isn't infinitely long they limit it to the 20 or so most recent discussions, so that anything that hasn't been updated recently is pushed to another page. Kind of like how a book would work if it was interactive. Neat huh?

:techno:

Orange Goblin is still awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkbNs7rxtnk

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

A 101 ambulance conversion would let you go waaaay off the beaten track - no site fees, pets can come wih you, nowhere to go nearby that needs spending money...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
People need to leave their crotch spawn at home when they go to the DMV...

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
They've changed all of the forum badges. OMG what's happening now.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

People need to leave their crotch spawn at home when they go to the DMV...

People need to make an appointment before they go to DMV. The longest it's ever taken me at DMV with an appointment was about 8 1/2 minutes.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Measly Twerp posted:

They've changed all of the forum badges. OMG what's happening now.

Yesterday they were all aligned so that AI was the only one with left justification and it seriously triggered my aspergers.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Congrats, AI has got to be the most fertile subforum. I've got #2 due on August 26th. My 2 1/2 year old loves "helping" me work on cars. I'm kind of dreading the day when he develops the motor skills to actually start taking stuff apart. Right now he's pretty happy pretending to unbolt things with the screwdriver I usually let him play with.

We were visiting my father-in-law and took the kids' bikes down there with us. My daughter's bike needed the training wheels adjusted and while he had the training wheel off, my son, who is 2.5 years old, sat down with the wheel and bracket, grabbed the adjustable wrench, saw that the jaws were too small and adjusted them without being shown how to do it, removed the wheel from the bracket, and handed them to my father-in-law.

We may be in trouble with this one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

keykey posted:

People need to make an appointment before they go to DMV. The longest it's ever taken me at DMV with an appointment was about 8 1/2 minutes.

This. Over and over and over. I made it, in and out in around 20 minutes.

The clerks are backed up, it was the 50 screaming kids running around with out supervision that annoys me the most. I get it, we have kids and such, but can you at least keep them under control? Makes me wonder what its like at home. Its gotta be beyond insanity if they act like this in public.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I parted shitpile because the headgasket failed between cylinder 2 and 4.

No loving regrets.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So we're birdsitting for a family friend for a few months (husband is getting chemo, doc says house has to be sterile, ie no pets). One of them has been making a rapid clicking sound, like a geiger counter, all morning. I think she's imitating the hard drive noise from my mom's computer, which their cages are next to. :v:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Fucknag posted:

So we're birdsitting for a family friend for a few months (husband is getting chemo, doc says house has to be sterile, ie no pets). One of them has been making a rapid clicking sound, like a geiger counter, all morning. I think she's imitating the hard drive noise from my mom's computer, which their cages are next to. :v:

Upgrade to an SSD... Then it'll just imitate the mouse clicks.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Measly Twerp posted:

Upgrade to an SSD... Then it'll just imitate the mouse clicks.

That reminds me, I was imaging about 50-60 ssd's a month ago. Anyway SSD's don't make any noise, but seemingly the northbridge makes a high pitch whine while transferring. It would be 1 thing if it was just a machine, but we just did a mass transfer so we had 15 of the same machine type imaging 3-4 drives each and they all made the same noise while transferring about 30-40GB in a minute and a half.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not too surprised, are you sure it was the northbridge though? I'd bet it was the buck/boost SMPS converters on the mainboard that supply the northbridge, they sometimes make a little noise when under heavy load. SSDs with their high-ish data rates and silent operation could make for it being audible, while a regular drive would drown it out even if they could handle writes just as fast.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

I parted shitpile because the headgasket failed between cylinder 2 and 4.

No loving regrets.

You'll be back

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ExplodingSims posted:

And it goes on and on like that. Again, I'd be happy to make a scan of each page if anyone's interested in seeing the whole thing. And when I say they cover every truck, they really do. Pickups, Schoolbuses, Sedan Deliveries, Delivery Vans, COEs, all of them. ALL OF THE TRUCKS

A while back but any cool COE pics would be appreciated.

InitialDave posted:

A 101 ambulance conversion would let you go waaaay off the beaten track - no site fees, pets can come wih you, nowhere to go nearby that needs spending money...

I've got the wife convinced I can build a teardrop for cargo and kitchen for next year. I reckon a couple of years at most and she'll go for the idea of a teardrop camper or a motor home. The problem is the motorhome would have to be something unique as I get irrationally angry at t4s and t5s and everything cool looking I find is rotten.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Haha, my girlfriend was super excited to take the day off and get to the DMV early to get her license renewed. Turns out she was two years too late and has to retake the written and driving exam. Worst part is her car is failing inspection pending some $1k+ emissions repair, and she can't drive standard, so she can't use either of my vehicles.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I'm currently sitting in the dark in the nursery watching my 2 month old daughter sleep because the lame monitor we bought died (and I'm paranoid). Lots of Dads up in here.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Show of hands....

How many of you replace the thermostat after the water pump fried itself?

Edit: GOD drat GM... gm? COOLING SYSTEM.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 20, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Show of hands....

How many of you replace the thermostat after the water pump fried itself?

Edit: GOD drat GM... gm? COOLING SYSTEM.ANT

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Shampoo posted:

I'm currently sitting in the dark in the nursery watching my 2 month old daughter sleep because the lame monitor we bought died (and I'm paranoid). Lots of Dads up in here.

I would think cartalk is fairly synonymous with dadtalk.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just crashed the dyno at work with a bicycle, today is a good day. :haw:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Unfortunately you need to spend the money to drive it to wherever you are going :(. I'm hoping that with the closed loop LPG i'm currently fitting I might get 12-14mpg on LPG.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

If you signed up and paid for forums access and didn't notice the avatar section, or thought you'd change it later, congratulations, the forums just hilariously owned you. :rolleyes:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This is nothing new and I don't know why people are so buttmad about it. Anyone else remember the old "Stupid Newbie" default avatars?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Tomarse posted:

Unfortunately you need to spend the money to drive it to wherever you are going :(. I'm hoping that with the closed loop LPG i'm currently fitting I might get 12-14mpg on LPG.

I have a 1989 Ford Transit, unloaded she returns 35MPG all day long. Its a loving good job too with our fuel prices. :britain:

Dad chat: My second, is gonna be a girl and is due on the 12th of December. Its awesome as she will keep the mrs busy while I teach number one how to wrench and fish.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Congrats, AI has got to be the most fertile subforum.

That's because there's an absence of fedora wearing neckbeard idiots.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

This is nothing new and I don't know why people are so buttmad about it. Anyone else remember the old "Stupid Newbie" default avatars?

Have you refreshed the image?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

If you signed up and paid for forums access and didn't notice the avatar section, or thought you'd change it later, congratulations, the forums just hilariously owned you. :rolleyes:

For 95% of posts, it's true.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Have you refreshed the image?

Oh wow that's new, last time I checked it was BIG IDIOT - BAD POST. I guess the proles are toiletlords now?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Today, I had to split the carb rack on the CB650 to change out the O-rings to the fuel inlet (which is a brass tee that goes to carbs 1 and 2 from the fuel line). After loving around with that for a few hours (and using a judicious amount of high tack just to be sure), I decided to tackle the shifter oil seal. I mean, I'm already angry at the world and covered in gasoline/grease/dust by this point, so I have nothing to lose.

The enemy:

The replacement:

The old seal:

(after a solid hour of cleaning around it and the inside of the cover, which is caked with decades of slowly-leaking-oil-pie)

The new seal:

(why's it all wet?)

The superfund site:

(Because I didn't drain the oil first, or use the side stand)

The bike back together, and running well (so far):

Just need to pop the side covers back on, and muster enough courage/motivation to take a test ride.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

The best part is that you only got "Stupid Newbie" if you registered and then posted before a certain time had elapsed. I didn't have it when I first started posting, because I lurked for like two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So I just finished reading this http://www.oneyearwithaferrari.com/

About one dude's year with a F355. He did it as an experiment to see how expensive it would be. He includes some things in his costs like a couple of track days and a weekend trip with the Ferrari club that I would not fold into cost of the car. It did need half of its valves replaced and some new sensors in the exhaust (and a clutch job that he DIYed).

Total cost: $13.77 per mile

• Locked thread