Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I meant I'll literally be making millions of attacks while everyone else is figuring out what spell to use and whining about taking any damage or what a pain in the rear end it is to pull off their asinine spell combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Falcon2001 posted:

Alright so the thing that does kind of blow my mind is that in a world where Pathfinder exists and seems to be really goddamn popular, why would they drop all the good stuff in 4e and then do this? (martial classes being interesting, DM prep being tolerable, etc) it just seems like a good way to literally compete against two entrenched positions, one of which is your own goddamn product (3.5)

People are talking about stealing back Pathfinder fans or whatever, but I think that attributes way too much actual marketing thought to this.

5e is 5e because Mearls wanted to make a new 3.x. That's it.

Spoilers Below posted:

The other important take away from that article is that the author can't convince an actual 11 year old to play the game with him.

This is something that's been sticking out to me. Every pro-5e thing I've seen, every person hyped, every picture of people playing it, the average age has been older then 30.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Honestly the more I read about it, the better I feel about 5e. I mean they fixed some problems with 3.5 (not the glaring huge ones, but I guess we're just accepting those) and in general it seems like there are some good ideas there if you're super into 3.5/pathfinder. I might try playing a game sometime to check it out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

Honestly the more I read about it, the better I feel about 5e. I mean they fixed some problems with 3.5 (not the glaring huge ones, but I guess we're just accepting those) and in general it seems like there are some good ideas there if you're super into 3.5/pathfinder. I might try playing a game sometime to check it out.

Yeah it provides a couple of quality-of-life improvements without really addressing (and occasionally worsening) some systemic problems.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah it provides a couple of quality-of-life improvements without really addressing (and occasionally worsening) some systemic problems.

Yeah. It also sounds like combat tends to go quicker than 3.5, and I'll definitely admit that 4E combat tended to slog a bit, so that might be a good thing. Someday I'll get some folks together and play it out and see. :)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah. It also sounds like combat tends to go quicker than 3.5, and I'll definitely admit that 4E combat tended to slog a bit, so that might be a good thing. Someday I'll get some folks together and play it out and see. :)

You could go to a FLGS and play Encounters.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You could go to a FLGS and play Encounters.

That involves leaving my house, maaaaaaaan.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

That involves leaving my house, maaaaaaaan.

And hoping the FLGS isn't full of lovely people. But I twice hammered a really good gaming group out of FLGS people.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

After watching this video, I wished fighters played like this versus, I dunno, everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE#t

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 21, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The main problem is that 3.x HAS a ton of support that 5e lacks. You want to be a sword wizard type? Certain types of swordsage, Magus, Duskblade, countless PrCs. You want to be a more dynamic fighter? Tome of Battle, Path of War. And so on, and so forth.

The usual response is "well 5e is still young," but 5e went out of it's way to avoid all of this; I find it doubtful you'll see a Tome of Battle for 5e.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ProfessorCirno posted:

The main problem is that 3.x HAS a ton of support that 5e lacks. You want to be a sword wizard type? Certain types of swordsage, Magus, Duskblade, countless PrCs. You want to be a more dynamic fighter? Tome of Battle, Path of War. And so on, and so forth.

Surely you can understand why people would prefer to play a game that currently works (for variable definitions of "works") out of a single readily available core book everybody knows the name of rather than having to cobble together poo poo from twelve different books piecemeal, which may be allowed or disallowed at any given table for various bizarre reasons.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Surely you can understand why people would prefer to play a game that currently works (for variable definitions of "works") out of a single readily available core book everybody knows the name of rather than having to cobble together poo poo from twelve different books piecemeal, which may be allowed or disallowed at any given table for various bizarre reasons.

If I want to play a fighter with cool options, much less one that isn't then immediately overshadowed in every way, 5e offers me nothing.

Because that's the choice regarding 3e and 5e. Either I have to cobble poo poo together from twelve different books, or I can't make it at all.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So Fighter doesn't really live up to a lot of legendary heroes, but if we were to try and create a subclass specifically to emulate some of those things, perhaps not as powerful as slashing mountains but great leaping and various other heroic things how would you go about it?

Maybe a subclass that gets a bunch of spells, both concentration and otherwise, as permanent "non-magial" effects. Like maybe permanently under the effect of Jump at 3rd or something, or maybe just double then triple, quadruple, etc jumping distance at various levels in addition to other effects.

Maybe get Longstider, or Expeditious Retreat, or better yet Haste, as a permanent effect at some point to just be faster than others. Maybe something to deal double damage to objects.

Perhaps something like Stoneskin, basically resistance to physical non magic damage.

Perhaps something that doubles, eventually tripling, and more, carrying capacity. Would be nice if there was some way to lift or punch a river to redirect it, but not seeing a passive buff spell for that.

Maybe a capstone of permanent Foresight? Which is certainly powerful but not blasting huge spells kind of thing and can still feel like just exceptional prowess and skill instead of just casting spells.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

If I want to play a fighter with cool options, much less one that isn't then immediately overshadowed in every way, 5e offers me nothing.

Because that's the choice regarding 3e and 5e. Either I have to cobble poo poo together from twelve different books, or I can't make it at all.
Except on the 3e end, you need to have a pretty high degree of system mastery or beg your friends to make your character.

5e has some lovely options, but 3e is more broken in every respect that 5e's broken in.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Except on the 3e end, you need to have a pretty high degree of system mastery or beg your friends to make your character.

5e has some lovely options, but 3e is more broken in every respect that 5e's broken in.

Wizards already have broken and silly options (on both ends of the spectrum) and are primed by the setup of the system to gain in the same ways that 3E wizards did. There are only so many feats and class feature packages. The wizard learns dozens of spells.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Ryuujin posted:

So Fighter doesn't really live up to a lot of legendary heroes, but if we were to try and create a subclass specifically to emulate some of those things, perhaps not as powerful as slashing mountains but great leaping and various other heroic things how would you go about it?

Maybe a subclass that gets a bunch of spells, both concentration and otherwise, as permanent "non-magial" effects. Like maybe permanently under the effect of Jump at 3rd or something, or maybe just double then triple, quadruple, etc jumping distance at various levels in addition to other effects.

Maybe get Longstider, or Expeditious Retreat, or better yet Haste, as a permanent effect at some point to just be faster than others. Maybe something to deal double damage to objects.

Perhaps something like Stoneskin, basically resistance to physical non magic damage.

Perhaps something that doubles, eventually tripling, and more, carrying capacity. Would be nice if there was some way to lift or punch a river to redirect it, but not seeing a passive buff spell for that.

Maybe a capstone of permanent Foresight? Which is certainly powerful but not blasting huge spells kind of thing and can still feel like just exceptional prowess and skill instead of just casting spells.

Honestly and unironically, mashing the Monk, Rogue, Fighter and Barbarian together is probably a good start. Even with the class features of all 4 you're not as good as a dragon (and you still lose instantly to Wall of Force) so...

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
The monk doesn't get any Ki stuff til level 2? So...level 1 is pretty boring for the guy that picks that class I guess.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
You have to earn your fun "fun".

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
To move away from how much WOTC hates fighters, do you guys employ any verticality in your battles?

One of my favorite ways to plan out D&D 4e was using lego (2x2 grid representing a normal player character), because it let me build out decently sized battle arenas without spending a shitton of money on terrain. It doesn't look nearly as nice, but I've increasingly found that in all tactical games, having a perfectly flat map is really disappointing to me and I love having a real terrain setup.

It actually makes me wish someone would make a D&D focused lego set with 2x2 minifig things and a gridded board for mapping out on, but on the other hand I get why they don't, plastic injection being what it is.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ryuujin posted:

Level 1: Pick one option from the "I KILL YOUR" list. Gain the passive benefit listed for it. (passive benefits are a work in progress)

Level 3: You gain 3 mythic hit points. At any time you can enter a walking trance and start fighting the option you picked from the "I KILL YOUR" list, possibly instead any actual opponents. You still exist in the physical world and can perceive it and be hurt. The DM will assign it a mythic AC and a number of mythic hit points, usually 1 to 5. When you fight in the mythic realm, attacking your mythic target once consumes your action. Gain all bonuses that you do to your attack roll, but you cannot gain advantage on the mythic attack, though it can still counter disadvantage. If you miss your mythic target, you lose one mythic hit point. If you run out of mythic hit points, you are knocked out of the trance and cannot re-enter it until you regain them. Regain all your mythic hit points at the end of a short or long rest. If you kill your mythic target, work with the DM to determine the effects.

Levels 7, 10, 15, and 19: Pick another option from the "I KILL YOUR" list, or a bonus option listed after it.

I KILL YOUR:

magic
gods
element (all of fire, cold, lightning, etc. but only one at a time)
nature
hope

BONUS OPTIONS:

Scarification: Once per day, when you are at full hit points you can perform a 10-minute ritual ending in you ritually scarring yourself. Gain 1 mythic hit point. It, and the scar, last until it is lost.
Reflexive Trance: As an action, you can make one attack in the mythic realm, and a second one in the normal realm.
Desperation: When you are at one mythic hit point, all of your mythic attacks have advantage. This ignores the advantage limitation on mythic attacks.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Stormgale posted:

I'm just gonna frame this and say this is the exact same logic we are mocking in the people defending 5e, here's a spoiler: D&D 4e is still a good game but bad at by default simulating the sort of heroes of myth and legend.
I'm not saying that 4e does a particularly good job in this role, i'm saying that it doesn't do a particularly poor job, compared to other systems.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

OtspIII posted:

I think that big freeform stuff like that is actually pretty incompatible with D&D (as opposed to just not being supported by it). D&D has always been super logistical or tactical, even in the editions with a lot of DM fiat. Both of those qualities are pretty at odds with over the top improv feats of logic-breaking.
I'm not convinced that this is the case. In fact i'd argue that DnD right now exists without question as a system where this happens, and works reasonably well for a lot of people.

Basically every RPG is an uneasy mix of freeform and mechanics, with some systems bringing the two closer together, and others not. I don't really think that more narrative games can claim complete dominance of this process, because frankly many of them don't work very well, and there's also something said for variety, particularly in longer campaigns.

The issue is how to bridge that divide. I'd say the key to that in a dnd-like game is actually character resources, because this would help ground even the more fanciful moments of narrative sharing, and contextualize them with the tactical battle system. IOW, in such a version of DnD, to take control of the narrative of a more freeform scene, you would not spend a drama point or a fate point- you could just straight up use some Magic or Glory, resources you might otherwise spend in combat to say, auto crit on an attack or heal your surge value in hp.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

A Catastrophe posted:

I'm not saying that 4e does a particularly good job in this role, i'm saying that it doesn't do a particularly poor job, compared to other systems.

It was more the "Just ignore/change the rules" posts really.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Stormgale posted:

It was more the "Just ignore/change the rules" posts really.
I'm not saying this is an argument in favour of 4e's development process or devs. Particularly at higher levels, its complexity is absurd. That is the key distinction from 5e- people are using rule 0 as an excuse for a bad design process.

But one of the things people aren't talking about so much wrt 5e is how much it was designed by what people hate, as opposed to what they like. What doesn't work for them (or enrages them to the point of filling an enworld forum with it), as opposed to what, supposedly, does. I think it's important to talk about things in a positive way, as well as a negative one. Through this exchange I think it's a lot more clear what you're after from a game in that style. I wish you luck in your quest for mythic play, just, whatever you do, don't play exalted like that dumb baby ferrinus. id's a game for babys ive got proof

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Edition partisans used to call that one "The Stormwind Fallacy". The basic idea is that "thing X isn't a problem because you can fix it easily by doing Y" is a logical fallacy because if X really and truly wasn't a problem then it wouldn't need to be fixed at all.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Ryuujin posted:

This is kind of a broken record thing at this point, but a really good example of a well made Fighter is 4th Edition, you don't need to look anywhere deeper to see how a well made fighter should look then the previous edition of the game.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Froghammer posted:

Edition partisans used to call that one "The Stormwind Fallacy". The basic idea is that "thing X isn't a problem because you can fix it easily by doing Y" is a logical fallacy because if X really and truly wasn't a problem then it wouldn't need to be fixed at all.

That's the Oberoni Fallacy. The Stormwind Fallacy states that just because you're mechanically powerful doesn't mean you can't be roleplayed well.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

goldjas posted:

This is kind of a broken record thing at this point, but a really good example of a well made Fighter is 4th Edition, you don't need to look anywhere deeper to see how a well made fighter should look then the previous edition of the game.

Yeah, I was super into martial characters and defenders in 4E. It's a great establishing of the class and I really enjoyed playing it.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, I was super into martial characters and defenders in 4E. It's a great establishing of the class and I really enjoyed playing it.

It's probably worthwhile to point out that you can't just take the 4E fighter in isolation. The entire system with the grid and marking and shifting and so on was set up to allow everyone, fighters to wizards, to engage with enemies and terrain with the same mechanics and concepts. That's what made Tide of Iron actually a thing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Daetrin posted:

It's probably worthwhile to point out that you can't just take the 4E fighter in isolation. The entire system with the grid and marking and shifting and so on was set up to allow everyone, fighters to wizards, to engage with enemies and terrain with the same mechanics and concepts. That's what made Tide of Iron actually a thing.

Oh, totally. I just mean it was neat to see the roles work together like that and have marking and all that work. It was engaging and interesting to play a martial character and while 4e has it's flaws, the first time a party comes together and pulls all that off, it was magical.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

Oh, totally. I just mean it was neat to see the roles work together like that and have marking and all that work. It was engaging and interesting to play a martial character and while 4e has it's flaws, the first time a party comes together and pulls all that off, it was magical.

And of course with that thought we go to 5E - which is, melee and magic characters aren't engaging enemies using the same mechanics. Some of them are using one set of mechanics (swing sword, in melee range) and others are using another set of mechanics (narrative control of combat), which means the party working together isn't going to mesh as well. Which means that theoretically, there's less difference between a party that's really cooperating and one that isn't.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mRoXwWHxzUp3NngKSf2x-Uno5ps0vl-WsVZGv2vwZPc/edit?usp=sharing]So i've done the first draft of the first of 19 cities in Noskelhome[/url] and was wondering if I can get some feedback - are there any areas you feel I'm really missing? Anything you'd like to know more about? Does it interest you? (I do plan on adding factions to other cities, but this is one where the Red Queen is the only major player).

I'm almost done with the first Elder Demon - I just need to finish the oath and pact and it'll be ready for your perusal.

edit: Allowed commenting on the document - is it sad that I had no idea how until now?

Trollhawke fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 21, 2014

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Trollhawke posted:

So i've done the first draft of the first of 19 cities in Noskelhome and was wondering if I can get some feedback - are there any areas you feel I'm really missing? Anything you'd like to know more about? Does it interest you? (I do plan on adding factions to other cities, but this is one where the Red Queen is the only major player).

I'm almost done with the first Elder Demon - I just need to finish the oath and pact and it'll be ready for your perusal.

Could you give us comment privileges? Or would you prefer it in the thread since it's 5E...ish?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Trollhawke posted:

[url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mRoXwWHxzUp3NngKSf2x-Uno5ps0vl-WsVZGv2vwZPc/edit?usp=sharing]

I like it a lot - heaps of interesting stuff, enough left free to build on, and the information is inspiring me to have my own ideas about what might happen in the place. The format and language reminds me of the city/area descriptions in Planescape's setting books (that's a huge compliment).

E: The beliefs/hooks/rumors section is cool as hell. I kind of skipped to those first (after skimming through to see how long it was and what the format was like) and already had a picture of the place in my head just from that section.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 21, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So, in 5e, is a "ranged weapon" a weapon that has range increments (i.e. it has the Thrown or Ammunition property), or is it only weapons listed under "Simple Ranged Weapons" or "Martial Ranged Weapons"?

Answer: up to the DM

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

P.d0t posted:

So, in 5e, is a "ranged weapon" a weapon that has range increments (i.e. it has the Thrown or Ammunition property), or is it only weapons listed under "Simple Ranged Weapons" or "Martial Ranged Weapons"?

Answer: up to the DM

I looked at this, and it seems clear at first:

quote:

A melee weapon is used to attack a target within 5 feet of you, whereas a ranged weapon is used to attack a target at a distance.
and

quote:

Range. A weapon that can be used to make a ranged attack has a range shown in parentheses after the ammunition or thrown property.

I mean, how clear is that? A weapon that can make a ranged attack (which has a range listed in parenthesis) is a ranged weapon.

But then there's the table with the dumb-as-poo poo divisions between ranged and melee weapons that don't match up with the above rules text. So who loving knows how a dagger, hand axe, light hammer or (somehow) javelin actually gets defined at any given moment?

The whole thing is made worse by the way that nobody gets proficiency in "simple ranged weapons" or "martial ranged weapons" anyway - so it's a meaningless distinction but at least I guess it ~feels like~ (3.x) D&D.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Changing the name of Melf's Acid Arrow to Schrödinger's Javelin.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Are thrown weapons ranged weapons is an even dumber question because the Archery speciality for the fighter gives +2 damage with ranged weapons. Not ranged attacks, ranged WEAPONS. Meaning that if you hit a guy in melee with your handaxe, you get the archery damage bonus. According to a charop guy I trust this isn't remotely unbalanced, but it is super-dumb.

It's (unusually) not even a natural language problem, just bad writng with 'ask your DM lol' as the cover-up/excuse.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

thespaceinvader posted:

Are thrown weapons ranged weapons is an even dumber question because the Archery speciality for the fighter gives +2 damage with ranged weapons. Not ranged attacks, ranged WEAPONS. Meaning that if you hit a guy in melee with your handaxe, you get the archery damage bonus. According to a charop guy I trust this isn't remotely unbalanced, but it is super-dumb.

It's (unusually) not even a natural language problem, just bad writng with 'ask your DM lol' as the cover-up/excuse.

+2 to-hit not damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

+2 to-hit not damage.
Ahahah, how is this even remotely "not unbalanced"?

Unless by that he means "the math is hosed anyway" or "meanwhile Wizards cast Improved Bypass Encounter" and not "there is parity between fighter specialities".