Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

My rant: the dumb slapfights this forum keeps getting into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I had the most boring near death experience the other day. I was out riding the other day and a truck passed a semi in the oncoming lane and I had to ride off my lane into the shoulder so as to not die. But I saw it coming, it was a long straight road, and I did it slowly and watched him go by and it wasn't even a close call and I didn't even flip him off or throw a chain at him. No biggie.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

or throw a chain at him.

Is that why the BMW final drives always go? Sympathetic to the needs of their owners to throw a chain?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I had the most boring near death experience the other day. I was out riding the other day and a truck passed a semi in the oncoming lane and I had to ride off my lane into the shoulder so as to not die. But I saw it coming, it was a long straight road, and I did it slowly and watched him go by and it wasn't even a close call and I didn't even flip him off or throw a chain at him. No biggie.

The ones where you see it coming are always interesting to me. It's like you are sitting there going "They aren't really... are they? Nooo, nobody is that du... god dammit."

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Physics. You don't get to bask in the glory of putting 100 yards between you and a 4+ wheeled vehicle before the driver notices the green, wheelie, canyon carve, dive into traffic slots that don't yet exist, etc., without acknowledging that you're a skid mark away from the choir invisible. That's half the appeal, to be perfectly honest. I never get asked about how lovely the trees are out there; I get asked to relive a traumatic event for the 56th time.

It's the same stigma attached to a downed fighter pilot. Yes, we will move heaven and earth to rescue them, rehabilitate them, and celebrate their return. Among their peers, however, there is a brutal truth--they screwed up, and it should have never happened in the first place. I think this applies to us, except the heaven and earth bit--judging by the crash thread entries, you're lucky if the insurance companies spring for iron-on knee and elbow patches.

And I'm in a no-fault state completely devoid of accountability to begin with.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Radbot posted:

my rides would be one long evasive maneuver

I strive to achieve this pinnacle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

People trying to change lanes into me has become so routine and mundane now that I can't summon the energy to get irritated about it. Every time it happens I just let out a deep sigh of weary disappointment and casually veer out the way with one hand on the bars and the other waving at them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Same. I also give them a bunch of little beeps on the horn. Not an angry HOOOOONK or anything, just a "hey hey hey hey" pay attention sort of thing.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm getting less and less jazzed about the idea of sometime in the future to do a motorcylce trip in land of screaming eagles.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

KARMA! posted:

I'm getting less and less jazzed about the idea of sometime in the future to do a motorcylce trip in land of screaming eagles.

Be fair, this is not just America, people don't see bikers all over the world.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Akion posted:

The ones where you see it coming are always interesting to me. It's like you are sitting there going "They aren't really... are they? Nooo, nobody is that du... god dammit."
Truck driver actually waved at me as if to say "thanks" when I pulled off the road so as not to die on his hood.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

KARMA! posted:

Bah, just pick a minor metro area in flyover country, grab a state road, and let it rip. I think most of these tales of woe are set in the cities and rings 1-2 of suburbia. If you want roads, we have some of the best. If you want to go to Times Square, leave the bike out of it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah. The best riding I've seen is in places like rural Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, New Mexico, and Nevada. Basically where people aren't.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

I never get asked about how lovely the trees are out there; I get asked to relive a traumatic event for the 56th time.

Only Marv can consider a conversation about trees more interesting than a kick rear end story where death was narrowly averted. Sheesh.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

I collided with the catcher, you slid into home plate. I wouldn't trade with you :)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

I collided with the catcher, you slid into home plate. I wouldn't trade with you :)

Still not as terrifying as riding through that dust cloud on Ann Arbor trail and narrowly missing that tractor. I still hear the cut pipes of that old Honda Shadow in my dreams...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

Find some rivers & hills or mountains. Go nuts.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

If I ever cross the state line, I'm probably never coming back. In a kid visiting the grandparents way, not in an outstanding warrants way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Marv Hushman posted:

If I ever cross the state line, I'm probably never coming back. In a kid visiting the grandparents way, not in an outstanding warrants way.

Sometimes it feels like the only thing that keeps me going is the fantasy of hopping on my bike, blasting out through the desert at 100+, then just riding up and down the Rockies, Cascades/Sierra Nevadas, and the West Coast for months at a time, living off of my bike like a hobo...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Elviscat posted:

Sometimes it feels like the only thing that keeps me going is the fantasy of hopping on my bike, blasting out through the desert at 100+, then just riding up and down the Rockies, Cascades/Sierra Nevadas, and the West Coast for months at a time, living off of my bike like a hobo...

I'd do this if I didn't like my cat.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Rant of the day: Busted belt = no riding today ....

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

adary posted:

Shaft drive supremacy :smugdog:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

adary posted:

Lose some weight, fatty

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

adary posted:

You could try some suspenders.

Sagebrush posted:

Lose some weight, fatty

What's a brother going to do when he's Samoan?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Elviscat posted:

I have many of the same fantasies. I really like my job and am glad I'm doing well but it's such a pain to take time off. I'm jealous of the people I read about here who live in countries where taking a vacation isn't considered laziness and/or selfishness. First world problems, sigh. I get to ride 60 miles a day in sunny weather 95% of the time, get paid pretty great money to dick around with fancy cars and go to the beach every day for lunch (it's a block and a half from work). I really should shut up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am also super jealous of the people who just up and quit their job to see the world. I'm like "I should do that!" And then I'm like "oh yeah, my wife and kid and mortgage and bills and lack of a trust fund they didn't happen to mention in their blog posts"

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
It's not the lack of a trust fund that's holding you back. :)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

HotCanadianChick posted:

Couldn't agree more. I dearly miss my old driveshaft yamaha ...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Sagebrush posted:

Lose some weight, fatty

As long as the bike weighs more than I do, i'm good!

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Had a first the other day at the gym. There's always plenty of parking there, so I take a normal spot. Park in the square in the middle of the spot, while others sometimes park in the hashed areas next to the handicapped spots :rolleyes: Anywho, come out after my workout and see a R6 parked at a 45 degree angle in back of my spot. Thankfully there was no one parked in front of me, so I could just pull ahead, but seriously. If there had been people parked all around me, I would have been blocked in.

I know bikers stick together, but what the hell. The lot was 70% empty at that point as well, just go park like a normal person.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Given the type of bike and the time of year, I'd say it was a new squidly rider who's still all "motorcycle bros!!! awesome!!!!" without really having the experience to know how to properly share a spot.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I had the same thing happen last week. I usually take up a whole spot, at an angle, and with my nose close to the parking lot edge so no one thinks the spot is empty and barrels into me.

I came out and there's someone with an old Sportster parked so close his mirror was over my dashboard. I ended up having to awkwardly walk the bike back and forth to get it out from behind his drat bike, since there were cars close on each side.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

In both of those situations, I would feel ok pulling a spark plug wire off. Or all of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lynza posted:

I had the same thing happen last week. I usually take up a whole spot, at an angle, and with my nose close to the parking lot edge so no one thinks the spot is empty and barrels into me.

I came out and there's someone with an old Sportster parked so close his mirror was over my dashboard. I ended up having to awkwardly walk the bike back and forth to get it out from behind his drat bike, since there were cars close on each side.

I've had a similar thing happen to me before with a faired BMW twin of some sort. I just casually picked the bike up off the stand and moved it in an arc (steering was locked) out of my way and left it there. Half blocking someone's car.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Backov posted:

Try saving for retirement while missing years of income and experience while simultaneously saving for your kid's college. So tired of trustafarians, hippies, and Euros telling everyone how easy it is to take extended vacations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

While I'm none of those, I'm going to put this thought there for you Radbot, because it's why I'll be taking an extended trip in the next few years.

Would you prefer to save your money so you can travel and have fun in 40 years, or just use the money and do it now?

Personally I would prefer to do all the fun poo poo I want to do while I'm young enough to enjoy it. I'll get bored with retirement anyway.

Only live once dude.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Backov posted:

Yeah, its all those other things as well. Those things were all my choices to make and I'm OK with them, but its not like everyone can just pick up and be all "gently caress THIS poo poo" and drive around the world growing a beard.

Radbot posted:

Try saving for retirement while missing years of income and experience while simultaneously saving for your kid's college. So tired of trustafarians, hippies, and Euros telling everyone how easy it is to take extended vacations.

And this.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

HotCanadianChick posted:

Until the day the BMW god of mechanical failure, Torx, decides to eat your shaft splines. :smith:

Also, re: extended vacation / retirement chat, I think a two-three week road trip would be the max for me. I haven't had any extended vacations and was only away for an extended period on two reserve deployments. I found I really missed my family the most. Even if I was having a blast on some motorcycle trip cross-country, two-three weeks would be the max. Now if my wife could get over her fear of the highway and came with me, that would be a different matter.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Shimrod posted:

While I'm none of those, I'm going to put this thought there for you Radbot, because it's why I'll be taking an extended trip in the next few years.

Would you prefer to save your money so you can travel and have fun in 40 years, or just use the money and do it now?

Personally I would prefer to do all the fun poo poo I want to do while I'm young enough to enjoy it. I'll get bored with retirement anyway.

Only live once dude.

I'd prefer to not eat catfood when I'm old, which is pretty much what's going to happen to you if you don't take advantage of investing when you're young.

It's not about having fun. Run a retirement calculator and see what you'll need to maintain a pretty basic $60k/yr lifestyle (combined incomes) for 20+ years in America, especially if literally anything happens to SS benefits and considering the depressed equity yield we're likely to see during our lifetimes.

Your post makes me think you're either very young, financially retarded, or European.

gently caress I feel old.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MoraleHazard posted:

Until the day the BMW god of mechanical failure, Torx, decides to eat your shaft splines. :smith:
The splines don't go out unless you ride it 200k miles without greasing them. The final drive bearings go out, depending on the model, though.

quote:

Also, re: extended vacation / retirement chat, I think a two-three week road trip would be the max for me.
I did a 3 week bike trip once, by the end of it I was getting fairly tired of packing and unpacking everything I owned every day. It felt more an adventure than a vacation, I needed to relax and do nothing for a bit once it was done.