Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Pomp posted:

Saw this crop up on Twitter, too, but I'm on mobile now so I can't be the one to post links. People were mentioning medical supplies and water.

I saw some photos that seemed to imply most of the supplies were left. sounds like maybe the only took the maalox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bobtheconqueror posted:

Maybe he dropped something he really wanted to pick up while running, so he turns around and reaches down to pick it up. The cop, being a dumbass, thinks "He's coming right for me!" cause, you know, racists think black people are essentially animals, and proceeds to unload on the kid.

Or more likely, the kid turned around to surrender after the cop shot at him again, and got shot a bunch by an rear end in a top hat for the trouble.

Yeah, ironically if he hadn't turned to surrender he might have lived a little longer

Which begs an interesting question: Why was his friend, Dorian, (I think?) never arrested? He was running away too, did he flee the scene successfully? Why isn't he being charged with being an accessory to the theft, resisting arrest etc?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

My guess is he was shot once from behind, probably a grazing shot. He turned around, hands raised, and was shot a second time, then shot again and again--to be consistent with witness testimony. He fell to his knees, and one shot caught his face/top of the head, and he fell flat on his stomach.
That's what I figure too, I was just pondering the one from his eye traveling downward and the one on top of his head.
I'm just sick of all the people trying to justify it and twist everything to paint him... Well, everyone who's not insane in here knows what I mean I guess. The difference between a 'position of surrender' and 'doubled over in pain' seemed significant to me at the time, maybe it's not, it just crossed my mind.

Edit- ^^^^ Didn't his buddy hide behind a car or something while it happened? As far as not being arrested for the theft, wasn't it confirmed that no charges were ever filed and that the store owners had never intended to?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

iostream.h posted:

That's what I figure too, I was just pondering the one from his eye traveling downward and the one on top of his head.
I'm just sick of all the people trying to justify it and twist everything to paint him... Well, everyone who's not insane in here knows what I mean I guess. The difference between a 'position of surrender' and 'doubled over in pain' seemed significant to me at the time, maybe it's not, it just crossed my mind.

Edit- ^^^^ Didn't his buddy hide behind a car or something while it happened? As far as not being arrested for the theft, wasn't it confirmed that no charges were ever filed and that the store owners had never intended to?

I honestly don't think Wilson had any intention to kill him--if this was a murder, it was surely a crime of passion and so after the fact, he may not have been in any mental state to go pursue Brown's friend. I suspect it was a matter of seeing red, then his vision clearing and suddenly there's a dead kid on the ground and neighbors are screaming and oh gently caress oh poo poo what do I do now I have to call this in what do I say?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

Realistically? Not really. The dude was unarmed and shot several times and apparently the police admitted one of the times was at his back, it just missed.

The trajectory of this was set once they released the "shoplifting" video. The "He was coming straight for me" defense has worked countless times before regardless of evidence.

If the prosecutors are able to determine a realistic pose in which his body would have been when struck, it would back up the witness testimony that he was surrendering rather than charging.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

iostream.h posted:

In the store video, it looks like he puts the cigars he was holding back onto the counter before he leaves. (The friend).
And yeah, he hid behind a car during the shooting. I'm really surprised they didn't round him up immediately, but instead they seemed to want to forget about him. In fact, his lawyer had to go on national TV and lament the fact that he hadn't even been interviewed by the cops after like 3 days. It wasn't until then that the cops contacted them for an interview.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 20, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Defensive posture lines up with multiple witness stories(buddy with him and the twitter guy in his house) that the officer fired a couple of shots - probably hitting Brown - and Brown stopped and tried to surrender when the officer advanced and fired the remaining shots. The video testimony of the buddy tells this story, and the twitter guy specifically separates the shots into 2 and then some more. This wasn't stopping a dangerous suspect, this was an execution.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pohl posted:

It is just conversation and bouncing ideas off of other people. It makes sense to bring up things that don't make sense to you and question how they happened, because maybe someone else has more knowledge than you. How the bullet acted the way it did may be important, but it probably isn't. Bullets do weird poo poo when they hit bone.

What are you even arguing? Everyone pretty much agrees with what you are saying.

I guess it's people being bored and talking about whatever, but how the trial turns out is going to be on a bunch of things and doing CSI:DnD on the shots isn't going to matter much in the trial whenever that happens.

So If we're just anticipating what defense the cops will use to get away with murder, OK. It just feels like people are still trying to figure out if the shooting was justified.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

I honestly don't think Wilson had any intention to kill him--if this was a murder, it was surely a crime of passion and so after the fact, he may not have been in any mental state to go pursue Brown's friend. I suspect it was a matter of seeing red, then his vision clearing and suddenly there's a dead kid on the ground and neighbors are screaming and oh gently caress oh poo poo what do I do now I have to call this in what do I say?

I tend to agree. I truly doubt Wilson woke up in the morning eager to gun down a young man and practically ruin his life in the process. This does not absolve him at all of what he did, but when the tensions are behind us and hopefully dialogue comes around with all the facts presented it will be interesting to see how this all unfolded. Definitely just as important as making sure justice is served in this case is to do all that's possible to try and prevent this from happening again.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Here's the press release on the NLG legal observer that was arrested last night:

https://www.nlg.org/news/releases/nlg-legal-observer%C2%AE-arrested-while-documenting-ongoing-police-violence-ferguson

quote:

At approximately 12:30 AM on August 20, St. Louis County Police arrested Max Suchan, a Legal Observer® with the National Lawyers Guild (NLG). Suchan, a Chicago law student, traveled to Ferguson to document police misconduct and help protect community residents' First Amendment rights in the wake of Michael Brown's murder.

Prior to Suchan's arrest, the police repeatedly charged the crowd on Florrisant Ave., appearing to target unarmed black youth for arrest. The police pushed the protesters down the street and gave dispersal orders without clear directions for how people should leave. Suchan observed several police in riot gear pointing their guns at an African-American man, forcing him roughly to the ground before placing him under arrest. While attempting to ask the arrestee for his name so he could be tracked in jail (a standard Legal Observer® procedure), Suchan was also forced to the ground and arrested. He was booked at the St. Louis County Justice Center in Clayton and released several hours later. Suchan was released with a pending application of warrant (“PAW”), meaning that the County has 30 days to press charges if they so choose.

Following his arrest, Suchan stated: “I am shocked by the extreme level of violence police exhibited towards residents in their own community, as well as Legal Observers® and members of the press. I observed numerous arrests where people seemed to be singled out by police in a “snatch and grab” fashion, merely because of the color of their skin. I observed several residents arrested while trying to negotiate an exit route with police. Several of my co-arrestees were bleeding and had bumps and cuts on their faces from being thrown to the ground. The police are terrorizing Ferguson and those who support the struggle for police accountability and an end to racial inequality.”

For the last five days, the NLG has had a team of Legal Observers® on the ground in Ferguson to monitor police activity and offer legal support to protesters. The NLG has been documenting rampant police abuse at demonstrations, working with local organizations on coordinating bail and providing other legal support, and organizing criminal defense attorneys to represent arrestees. The Guild has extensive experience doing mass defense work for movements for social and political change, including Occupy Wall Street.

Even during his hours-long detention from inside the police van, Suchan continued doing mass defense work, documenting the cases of co-arrestees and monitoring police activity. He will be back on the streets as Legal Observer® tomorrow.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Cuntpunch posted:

Defensive posture lines up with multiple witness stories(buddy with him and the twitter guy in his house) that the officer fired a couple of shots - probably hitting Brown - and Brown stopped and tried to surrender when the officer advanced and fired the remaining shots. The video testimony of the buddy tells this story, and the twitter guy specifically separates the shots into 2 and then some more. This wasn't stopping a dangerous suspect, this was an execution.
I can agree with the 'red' theory, but honestly the second sounds more realistic to me.
I can ABSOLUTELY see the cop firing a couple of rounds, hitting him from behind then, realizing he just shot at a 'suspect' from behind going 'oh poo poo, well gently caress it, dead men tell no tales' and killing him to avoid (what he expected to be) any particular scrutiny.

Quite literally, 'If he lives he'll stir up some poo poo, but no one will blink twice at a cop killing a thug'.

Edit: ---- VVVV For the record, I'm absolutely NOT trying to figure out if it was justified or not, I'm 100% convinced that this was a murder, plain and simple.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 20, 2014

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the reason brown got shot as many times as he did is primarily because cop SOP is to kill someone that you're shooting at - if you've made the decision to pull the trigger, then you empty the clip and put them down.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Zeitgueist posted:

I guess it's people being bored and talking about whatever, but how the trial turns out is going to be on a bunch of things and doing CSI:DnD on the shots isn't going to matter much in the trial whenever that happens.

So If we're just anticipating what defense the cops will use to get away with murder, OK. It just feels like people are still trying to figure out if the shooting was justified.

Trial? Man, are you feeling optimistic today? :cheeky:
I don't think anyone is trying to justify the shooting, I think we are just going over the information we have and trying to figure out what may have happened to Brown. The ME report shows that he was either surrendering or in a defensive posture. We are just discussing the details of how bad it really is, not whether it is bad or not.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pohl posted:

Trial? Man, are you feeling optimistic today? :cheeky:

Civil :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Glorious. It's really loving hard to look like you're the victims when you're arresting legal observers guys. :allears:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LLCoolJD posted:

This post sums up the fanatical, anti-white , anti-police sentiments underpinning some of the support of the 6'4", ~295 pound behemoth who (if it is him on the video) had just robbed a store and who (so the police report) had attacked the officer who shot him. There's such relish exhibited in the denigration of law enforcement and of whites who choose to side with the law enforcement interpretation of the incident. Those who would wax poetic about Brown's presumption of innocence are the same people who want to try an officer for murder in the court of public opinion.
ASIA FOR THE ASIANS, AFRICA FOR THE AFRICANS, WHITE COUNTRIES FOR EVERYBODY!
Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Glorious. It's really loving hard to look like you're the victims when you're arresting legal observers guys. :allears:

I was watching the VICE stream last night and you could tell that the dick head reporter could not believe that they had arrested a legal observer. To make it even better, he was talking to Amnesty International at the time.

Touché.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Which begs an interesting question: Why was his friend, Dorian, (I think?) never arrested? He was running away too, did he flee the scene successfully? Why isn't he being charged with being an accessory to the theft, resisting arrest etc?

Well, Wilson didn't know about the robbery since the store owner never reported anything, and since his altercation was with Brown, it makes sense that he wouldn't go after the other guy, since he booked it. Also, Wilson probably knew he done goofed, and wanted to get the gently caress out of there as quickly as possible. A man who thinks he did the right thing, racist or not, doesn't flee the drat state.

Did he even report the shooting himself?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

uncurable mlady posted:

this really doesn't surprise me in the slightest, but a part of my brain has a factoid lodged in it that they're supposed to recertify every so often at marksmanship? like, i get that there's a pretty significant difference between being on a range and shooting black silhouettes versus unarmed black teenagers in the street but still

You DON'T WANT to be at the range on Cop Qualifying Day. They do stupid, stupid poo poo. Gangster style. Behind the back. Bad trigger discipline. Drinking.
It's a party and if you're not doing the same thing they are, you've got a decent chance of some lead being sent somewhere in your direction due to lack of care.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

the reason brown got shot as many times as he did is primarily because cop SOP is to kill someone that you're shooting at - if you've made the decision to pull the trigger, then you empty the clip and put them down.

Doesn't SOP also assume you shouldn't be shooting at unarmed suspects? Regardless of that, supposing the story is correct, Brown failed to follow the SOP you describe because he fired a couple of times and likely hit Brown at least once. This stopped Brown's attempt to escape, changing it into an attempt to surrender, at which point the officer closed the distance and fired more shots to finish him.

You don't loving kill an unarmed man who is clearly wounded and attempting to surrender. If that's actually in police SOP documents somewhere, I would love to read them.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

bobtheconqueror posted:

Well, Wilson didn't know about the robbery since the store owner never reported anything, and since his altercation was with Brown, it makes sense that he wouldn't go after the other guy, since he booked it. Also, Wilson probably knew he done goofed, and wanted to get the gently caress out of there as quickly as possible. A man who thinks he did the right thing, racist or not, doesn't flee the drat state.

Did he even report the shooting himself?

Everyone should probably stop saying he didn't know about it, because since Friday the police have been saying that he did know about it, despite saying earlier on Friday that he didn't know about it. The official police story is going to be that he was aware of the "robbery" at the time he shot Brown.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Peven Stan posted:

ASIA FOR THE ASIANS, AFRICA FOR THE AFRICANS, WHITE COUNTRIES FOR EVERYBODY!
Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white

:munch:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

WarEternal posted:

Everyone should probably stop saying he didn't know about it, because since Friday the police have been saying that he did know about it, despite saying earlier on Friday that he didn't know about it. The official police story is going to be that he was aware of the "robbery" at the time he shot Brown.

What? When they released the footage the chief said they were unrelated, that Wilson didn't stop them for that, and the official reason for its release was a FOIA request. I'd heard on the first day or two that he may have been responding to a different robbery and profiled them, but nobody thought Brown had committed a crime himself until the stills were released on Friday.

Also, somebody linked earlier to a video showing that he'd paid for the stuff in the store. If the owner didn't even report anything, how did Wilson know Brown was suspected of robbery when no actual robbery even happened?

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 21, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

Doesn't SOP also assume you shouldn't be shooting at unarmed suspects? Regardless of that, supposing the story is correct, Brown failed to follow the SOP you describe because he fired a couple of times and likely hit Brown at least once. This stopped Brown's attempt to escape, changing it into an attempt to surrender, at which point the officer closed the distance and fired more shots to finish him.

You don't loving kill an unarmed man who is clearly wounded and attempting to surrender. If that's actually in police SOP documents somewhere, I would love to read them.

Where exactly are you getting the "the officer closed the distance" from?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Kalman posted:

Where exactly are you getting the "the officer closed the distance" from?

This is one of the witness stories, I believe from Brown's friend. It also reasonably explains why the officer stopped firing temporarily. If he was seeing red and panicking and just pulling the trigger, there wouldn't have been a pause in the firing.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

He is just posting dumb poo poo from somewhere else. Put away the popcorn.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

It's a c/p from some white supremacist thing. I googled it but like hell am I gonna follow any of those links.

e:f;b

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

bobtheconqueror posted:

What? When they released the footage the chief said they were unrelated, that Wilson didn't stop them for that, and the official reason for its release was a FOIA request.

You've got the timeline mixed up for Friday. Friday morning they release the robbery report and lovely, darkened images of the "robbery". Soon after, they release the video. Later in the day at 3PM the chief holds a press conference where what he said was that Wilson didn't know about the robbery. Not much later on that day, he corrected and said that he didn't "initially" know about the robbery, but circled back because he thought he saw Brown with cigars.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
:( Should have known better.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

WarEternal posted:

You've got the timeline mixed up for Friday. Friday morning they release the robbery report and lovely, darkened images of the "robbery". Soon after, they release the video. Later in the day at 3PM the chief holds a press conference where what he said was that Wilson didn't know about the robbery. Not much later on that day, he corrected and said that he didn't "initially" know about the robbery, but circled back because he thought he saw Brown with cigars.

That's cool. I mean, they're probably lying, but whatever. I edited my post to clarify that there wasn't an actual robbery for him to be responding to, so I don't know how he'd be tracking somebody down for something that didn't happen.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

he simply forgot his lines during the first press conference and was reminded of this later in the afternoon

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I don't know why it wasn't mentioned more often, but someone said something a few pages back about brown being in flip flops, while wearing socks (so they aren't the thong style that slip between your toes.)

How the gently caress are you going to charge anything with those things on your feet? Even if you kick them off, you're charging someone on concrete, with nothing but socks on. Why? That line of thinking is so loving retarded I just don't understand how anyone can latch onto it.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Tweak posted:

he simply forgot his lines during the first press conference and was reminded of this later in the afternoon

Yeah, it seems to me they doubled back after the department knew it stunk. Maybe tracked him back to that convenience store and got the video to make the story work in their favor.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

bobtheconqueror posted:

That's cool. I mean, they're probably lying, but whatever. I edited my post to clarify that there wasn't an actual robbery for him to be responding to, so I don't know how he'd be tracking somebody down for something that didn't happen.

It was a reported by a bystander at the store, you're confusing that with the fact that the people from the store said they did not call the police.

Tweak posted:

Right, I'm just saying that "he didn't know about the robbery" sure as gently caress isn't going to be the official police story, so it's probably best to stop treating it as if it is.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

WarEternal posted:

It doesn't matter, because the police hosed up. First they come out and release the video, and refuse to take questions so reporters can digest the information they have been provided. The implication is,Brown was killed because of the Robbery. Pure and simple.

Later that day they have another press conference where they are forced to admit that the killing had nothing to do with the robbery; it was about 2 black men walking down the middle of a residential street.

They framed it so that everyone would see the robbery and think that was the reason for the stop and the altercation. They drat well knew that would be the big story, and when they came back later in the day and said, "oh, yeah, the cop had no idea about the robbery", that wasn't a story. I have no idea why, but that should have been the big story, that manipulation of the public trust. The people in the community were sure as gently caress aware of it, which is why things went horribly wrong that night. The police force essentially set them up with propaganda and then overt force to make them look bad.

They can't make that record go away, and the more they try, the more it will appear to be a cover up.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Frankly I'm surprised that something like, "police corruption, lies, and murder" doesn't get as many clicks (or isn't predicted to get as many clicks) as, "another thug died today."

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't know why it wasn't mentioned more often, but someone said something a few pages back about brown being in flip flops, while wearing socks (so they aren't the thong style that slip between your toes.)

How the gently caress are you going to charge anything with those things on your feet? Even if you kick them off, you're charging someone on concrete, with nothing but socks on. Why? That line of thinking is so loving retarded I just don't understand how anyone can latch onto it.

Objection! - Fox "News" Viewers do exist you honor...

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Ferguson Cop Had 'Serious Facial Injury,' Source Tells ABC News
http://abcnews.go.com/US/ferguson-shooting-grand-jury-decide-october-charge-cop/story?id=25047905

I didn't see this posted you think this would be huge.

If this officer really was beaten and sent to the hospital, then why are we just now hearing about this unless some evil entity wanted to cause chaos on purpose?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
That was posted about 5 pages ago. It was pretty quick to reach a quorum that it's on the borderline "suspicious" that these facts weren't paraded out long ago (note: the other side of that borderline is "pants on fire levels of fabrication")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Are they just randomly changing the images for stupid newbies now? Good lord.

• Locked thread