Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

Boon posted:

Not 40k, but Nagash is coming back and the model looks not only huge, but a modern, more ridiculous, version of his old model.

Post it up, duder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
It looks rad IMO.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Moola posted:

It looks rad IMO.

Truth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That's bad rear end.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fix posted:

Truth.

This loving owns.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Seriouspost, the new undead models I've been seeing are legit worthy of getting enthusiastic over. Like I'm still not going to say GW isn't taking a ridiculous (even by industry standards) markup on them, but there seem to be actual cool ideas behind them instead of just "how impractically can we trick out a dreadnought chassis" or "wolf sleigh."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Looks better than any of the dumb poo poo that's come out for 40k this year.

*zooms off on a hover sled pulled by wolves*

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
That'd make a siiiick C'tan.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah these models are gorgeous. This is my fave:

I'm thinking those wings, out of print chaos raptor backpacks, and the forgeworld night lord "raptor" bodies + heads will make for some awesome CSM assault marines. Or gently caress it and just use them as they are (this is if I was to actually buy anything from GW).

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ghetto wormhole posted:

That'd make a siiiick C'tan.

it'd be magnificent with all the 'bone' done in something metallic

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Moola posted:

Looks better than any of the dumb poo poo that's come out for 40k this year.

*zooms off on a hover sled pulled by wolves*

The thing I love about the hover sled is that it's being pulled by regular-rear end wolves. Like, they build this hovering metallic boat and put their legion's master in it, but instead of lashing it to cyber wolves or whatever, it's just a couple of dogs that showed up, to tow the thing.

EDIT: New Nagash owns super hard.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I popped into the fantasy thread to talk about how rad the nagash model looked and they were all complaining about it. So I felt silly and didn't post.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah I don't get why they don't like it but it's awesome.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I like the vampire lord riding on Bahamut from Final Fantasy a little more.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Holy poo poo, that ... owns bones.

Makes me laugh how GW created Tau to be the "anime" army when it's gobsmackingly obvious that Eldar has more of that aesthetic and now here comes Death Notegash.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The new Undead stuff looks like a bunch of badguys from Castlevania supported by characters with the most extravagant hats I've ever seen on a tabletop miniature, and I love all of them. They look like a pain in the dick to paint, largely, but I really like the look of them.

Finished up a Commissar to keep the boys in line:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
A Commissar with a flamer is a terrifying concept. Discipline the miscreant and the five blokes standing next to him.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, seems like it would be kind of overkill on the summary executions, but that's how the model came! I don't think Commissars have been able to take flamers since 2nd edition.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

The buggies suffer a little too much from the "this is a repurposed toy" thing a lot of converted Ork vehicles have, but your painting across the units is stellar as always.

Yeah there's not much I could really do about that. Tried my best, but unless I wanted to go REALLY overboard with the plasticard there's just no way around it. But hey the customer thinks they're great so that's all that really matters in the end, I guess :v:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

ANAmal.net posted:

The thing I love about the hover sled is that it's being pulled by regular-rear end wolves. Like, they build this hovering metallic boat and put their legion's master in it, but instead of lashing it to cyber wolves or whatever, it's just a couple of dogs that showed up, to tow the thing.

EDIT: New Nagash owns super hard.

Seconding the love for the new Nagash Model.

While I don't hate the sleigh as much as others in this thread its still one of the silliest things in this hobby. I will say though that Logan Grimnar himself is an awesome model.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Yeah I don't get why they don't like it but it's awesome.

apparently it's really easy for war machines like cannon to pop big models in fantasy these days

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Cataphract posted:

I popped into the fantasy thread to talk about how rad the nagash model looked and they were all complaining about it. So I felt silly and didn't post.

It's not even the new Nagash model, it's all the new ones in that line. They all look like a terrific inspiration to build and paint and convert with, unlike certain murdernouns and santa sleighs I could name.

It really does seem like WHFB is leaps and bounds ahead of 40K in terms of its relative humanity to consumers on all levels, and I can't figure out whether that's just because it's not the most visible cash cow and so they're mostly left alone to do their own thing, or what.

The Sisko posted:

Seconding the love for the new Nagash Model.

While I don't hate the sleigh as much as others in this thread its still one of the silliest things in this hobby. I will say though that Logan Grimnar himself is an awesome model.

I don't "hate" the sleigh in the same way that, for example, I hate the gratuitous dataslates and unbound and etc. It's goofy in a facepalm-inducing way that is sort of orthogonal to GW's chief sins as game designers and as a corporation.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 21, 2014

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
What do you boys use for sealant? I have 'Ardcoat, but I want a more matte finish and I see nothing in the GW line.

Just bog standard matte acrylic sealant? Spray? Brush? Any suggestions?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

What do you boys use for sealant? I have 'Ardcoat, but I want a more matte finish and I see nothing in the GW line.

Just bog standard matte acrylic sealant? Spray? Brush? Any suggestions?

I use krylon spray:
Never had a problem with it yet!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Testors Dullcote is the best rattlecan stuff. If you have an airbrush I've heard good things about both Liquitex and Vallejo varnishes. You can also brush them on, but I only brush them on models that I don't super-duper care about, because I've found that it takes careful attention to get a solid matte coat without turning any crevices into cloudy messes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The tear of grognards collected up after the tourney results are posted.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I got a valkyrie I need to matte coat and the windows are the only thing I have that I don't want to use a spray on. Luckily I haven't attached them yet.

So I may just end up spraying the model and then getting a bit from the nozzle to do the trim work on the windows.

Thanks guys.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Cataphract posted:

I read both threads since I play both games, and I'm mystified by the dislike of that model as well. Also thanks ghetto wormhole, because now I'm going to make that model into a C'Tan.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
We have come so far

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I wish so hard that they put that face somewhere on the sprue as an alternative option.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JerryLee posted:

I wish so hard that they put that face somewhere on the sprue as an alternative option.

If someone commissions me to paint that I would gladly sculpt a replica of old Nagash's face at no additional cost.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Finally almost done.

Not sure what do do with his knuckles. And I guess I'll have to pin his topknot...or find another that is not as cumbersome.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Finally almost done.

Not sure what do do with his knuckles. And I guess I'll have to pin his topknot...or find another that is not as cumbersome.

Looks like the knuckles are done and the top knot already is pinned! There is a nob at the top that slots into the massive 80's hair metal quaff.

You can also cut off the piece that the hair leads into and have a Baldvatar Of Roghaine.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LordAba posted:

I use krylon spray:
Never had a problem with it yet!

Just had a problem. It left a rather noticeable "white film". I'm currently reading about how to correct this. From isopropyl alcohol to a second coat of non-krylon. :argh:

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

Fix posted:

Truth.

My good buddy is the manager at the local Hobbytown, which is kind of the hub for gaming in my city. He has always attested that Fanstasy sculpts are much more intricate and artistic than 40k. I kind of agreed with him grudgingly until I saw this loving model. This is absolutely gorgeous!

I've never played fantasy, but I love aesthetics and the "feel" of an army more than the actual rules. How cool I think an army is dictates what I play.

Is this Vampire Counts? Because if so, I'm going to buy it and start playing Fantasy solely because of this model.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Dump_Stat posted:

Is this Vampire Counts? Because if so, I'm going to buy it and start playing Fantasy solely because of this model.

Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings (antique Necrons) used to be the same faction lead by this guy but they were eventually split. Looks like this guy's coming back and there's going to be a new Undead book featuring units from both Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings.

Apparently the guy can raise up units of 20-30 skeletons/zombies by himself and can be taken on his own in a 1,000 point game.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings (antique Necrons) used to be the same faction lead by this guy but they were eventually split. Looks like this guy's coming back and there's going to be a new Undead book featuring units from both Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings.

Apparently the guy can raise up units of 20-30 skeletons/zombies by himself and can be taken on his own in a 1,000 point game.

So, is he basically the Vecna of Warhammer? (D&D reference).

If so, count my rear end in!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's kind of unclear. Nagash is pretty much the genesis of all Undead and specifically the Vampires, so it's probable, but he's kind of his own thing, well above any and all Vampire faction. Also, Tomb Kings loving hate him because he destroyed their civilization (he was originally from that civilization).

I used to play VC, and while they are definitely very, very cool. I sold them all because they were frankly kind of boring to play after years and years.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

VC are actually a really interesting army now, are also one of the better armies, and have some of the best models that GW makes.

Choosing VC isn't a bad idea as long as you use Mantic Zombies instead of the GW ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

Well color me curious, I may have to start reading the fantasy thread. Regardless, this guy is just too bad rear end to pass up buying. Even if I just use him as a high-level lich in our RPG games.

• Locked thread