Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm the most excited for Kill the Moon. It sounds neat. Also the tree thing seems a little weird. Kind of grasping at ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

"Doctor, eh? Well, you're a little over-qualified for the role. But if you leave your name and particulars..." 51 years later and he finally gets the job! :D

The scourge of degree inflation. :v:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Teek posted:

Here are the basic summaries for all the episodes from Moffat via the Radio Times:
In the Forest of the Night
"D'you like the forest being in Trafalgar Square? I think it's lovely."
One morning in London, and every city and town in the world, the human race wakes up to the most surprising invasion yet: the trees have moved back in. Everywhere, in every land, a forest has grown overnight and taken back the Earth.

The trees are embarrassed because they need directions so the can march against Saruman.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

vegetables posted:

What frustrates me is that the basic idea of the Cybermen is such a rich seam to mine in terms of new and interesting stories, while "here are some robots who are a bit faster now" is, well, less so. I genuinely think the concept of the Cybermen is strong enough to support an entire series on its own, but you'd never know it looking at the past 46 years.

If they did something like that picture of a modern update on the very old style Cybermen that floated around these threads, it'd be amazing. The body horror element would fit pretty comfortably in with modern Who, you can imply a lot without full-on slasher-style gore with decent writing.

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, people don't like Closing Time? Huh.

A bunch of joyless mother fuckers in here.

Closing Time was pretty fun, but the Cybermen were pointless and poo poo in it.

Harlock posted:

I'm the most excited for Kill the Moon. It sounds neat. Also the tree thing seems a little weird. Kind of grasping at ideas.

It reminds me of Geoff Lloyd's idea that he wanted to pitch back when the revival first started, which was about a bad guy who can control Britain's pets :ohdear:.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 20, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought the first five episode premises that we've been talking about sounded kinda lame, but the newly revealed summaries all rule. I'm down for this now.

Kill the Moon's summary kills my theory that is was going to be about dr. moon and missy being a corruption of river's data.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Wasn't the Orient Express In Space an offscreen adventure already? I demand cameos from the Ponds.

That reminds me, I would kind of like a season where the companion all season is the future Doctor. That would be a riot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Xibanya posted:

Wasn't the Orient Express In Space an offscreen adventure already? I demand cameos from the Ponds.

That reminds me, I would kind of like a season where the companion all season is the future Doctor. That would be a riot.

Save money by running it again back to back

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xibanya posted:

I would absolutely love it if this adventure is taking place at the same time as that one, and they have to avoid them the entire episode.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I actually liked the spoon fight, now that I've watched the workprint a second time. It feels like Twelve is just taking the piss out of the whole situation because he's not taking the situation seriously. Another incredibly dumb thing from the script that Capadi is able to save with sheer acting.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Xibanya posted:

It occurred to me yesterday that the companion for Season 7B could have been the Eighth Doctor, then I felt very sad about cruel reality. I mean, there's loads of reasons why it's not actually a good idea, but it didn't stop me wishing it had happened anyway.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Teek posted:

The Caretaker
"Human beings have incredibly short life-spans. Frankly, you should all be in a permanent state of panic. Tick tock, tick tock."
Clara has it all under control: her life at school, her life in space; her new boyfriend and her mad old Time Lord. Everything is humming along just fine, so long as everybody never actually meets. And then, one morning, just before assembly, Coal Hill welcomes a new relief caretaker with a Scottish accent.

I got really excited to see the title, then I realized it's "The Caretaker" and not "The Curator". I wanted some more Tom Baker. Still excited, just less so.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think the whole Curator thing is kind of interesting at least in discussion. If the Doctor can regenerate into the same look as one of his past forms, would it bring that version back? Or just a new personality on an old face.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I dunno, the whole reintroduction of the Cyberman isn't bad and it did bring up some interesting issues about how we use our technology. Army of Ghosts is pretty cool too.

Then every time after they kinda missed the boat.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Time Heist leaked. It is a solid "meh". Which is sad, because I honestly think it was more the direction than the script that let it down. Maybe it'll improve with color, music, and SFX. Or maybe not.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Did "Listen" not get leaked?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Nope, that was skipped right over. Which sucks because word from GB is that Listen and Kill The Moon are supposedly among the best of the entire revival.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
From what I've read here there is no great episodes this season so far, should I prepare myself to be let down on Saturday?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

From what I've read here there is no great episodes this season so far, should I prepare myself to be let down on Saturday?

That depends. How low are your standards?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Thom12255 posted:

It's mixed back and all the episodes are pretty Moffat so far. However, the first episodes is definitely a train wreck.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Deep Breath and Into the Dalek are both great, with the latter verging on excellent. Robots of Sherwood is one of the better Gatiss tongue-in-cheek romps. Time Heist for me has been the only one that's left me lukewarm.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Did "Listen" not get leaked?

It was on the list :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If Deep Breath is anything like the script that leaked, it's going to be one of the worst episodes of the revival. Hope you like Moffat women, lolrandom dinosaurs, and catchphrases.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The good outweighs the Moffat for me in Deep Breath.

-Dinosaur nonsense is over in the first 15 minutes
-Vastra and naked Jenny was groan worthy.
-Paternosters ninja-ing in at the end was awful.

The rest is pretty on point.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Deep Breath was one of the most bloated and completely dull episodes in the last few years. Dalek and Sherwood were each better, but really didn't stand out for me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Deep Breath was one of the most bloated and completely dull episodes in the last few years. Dalek and Sherwood were each better, but really didn't stand out for me.

Just like it too me three episodes to really get what Matt Smith was going for, it wasn't until Sherwood that I started to really get what Capaldi is going for. Specifically his group of scenes arguing with Robin in the dungeon.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Just like it too me three episodes to really get what Matt Smith was going for, it wasn't until Sherwood that I started to really get what Capaldi is going for. Specifically his group of scenes arguing with Robin in the dungeon.

An arrogant, childish prick?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PantsOptional posted:

An arrogant, childish prick?

Argumentative, convinced he's right, still having fun, angrier than the previous couple Doctors, etc. Hard to put into words, I guess. Just the way he was playing it suddenly made sense.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Argumentative, convinced he's right, still having fun, angrier than the previous couple Doctors, etc. Hard to put into words, I guess. Just the way he was playing it suddenly made sense.
Yeah I know what you mean. That Sherwood imprisonment argument really showcased his childish arrogance + pissyness. All the Doctors of the revival have plucked elements of the classic docs. I do enjoy that 12 has found a pretty big characteristic that hasn't been pouched yet. That whole "frak you" thing that 1 through 4 often did.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Wow, an episode where none of the guest stars died? Sign me the gently caress up!
Bank heist episode was fantastic!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's a pity I found the Doctor's prickish arrogance and childishness so insufferable in Sherwood then. I mean it's fine if that's the direction they want to go in but why can't it at least be witty and fun?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Stairs posted:

Wow, an episode where none of the guest stars died? Sign me the gently caress up!
Bank heist episode was fantastic!

Everybody lives, Rose! Just this once everybody lives!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Rita Repulsa posted:

Everybody lives, Rose! Just this once everybody lives!
I love how The Doctor Dances has grown in critical acclaim. It as such a sneaky subversive ep. I have a feeling that these Season 8 episodes will gain favour over time as well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

I love how The Doctor Dances has grown in critical acclaim. It as such a sneaky subversive ep. I have a feeling that these Season 8 episodes will gain favour over time as well.

I think it was pretty well regarded since the beginning. Other than the farting alien episodes I think all the Eccleston episodes have always been held up highly. It's only in the last few years that I've seen them start to get dumped on for their special effects not living up. But then again, welcome to Doctor Who!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Pfffft hahahahahahahahahahahaha lol no.

E-- I mean of course these eps. will find fans. Even really defensive fans. First rule of Who and all that. I just don't think anyone but the most die-hard of supporters are ever going to proclaim these episodes are on the level of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances which was a high watermark for the entire franchise.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 21, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lampsacus posted:

I love how The Doctor Dances has grown in critical acclaim.

It started with everyone loving it so I'm not sure how

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

E-- I mean of course these eps. will find fans. Even really defensive fans. First rule of Who and all that. I just don't think anyone but the most die-hard of supporters are ever going to proclaim these episodes are on the level of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances which was a high watermark for the entire franchise.

My favourites of the post-revival for sure.

"Dalek" is up there too. The ending is a little silly, but the build up is so beautifully done and the stupid part is extremely short.

I also have a soft spot for Gridlock. I'm not exactly sure why as it's very peak RTD yet for some reason in that episode all the elements fit together nicely.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

If anything, it's reputation falls as Moffat's limited bag of tricks get countlessly reused and you can spot those same components back in that one.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Maybe they should switch show runners more often so we don't keep seeing the same bag of tricks being used again and again and again. The guy on the top seems to hold on to his position to the show's detriment.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh god, the voiceovers on this one. I thought the Dalek one was bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PantsOptional posted:

Oh god, the voiceovers on this one. I thought the Dalek one was bad...

You talking about the constant ADR tags? Makes me wonder if they actually filmed some of those lines in the first place.

• Locked thread