Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Speaking about airline food/menus, I stumbled upon this the other day. Not only is this guy entitled, it gets full on creepy :staredog:

http://sfo777.com/report/around-world-72-hours

It's an entertaining read to see the absurd opulence of the lounges in DOH though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I knew I wished harm on that guy and his family the minute he used "gate lice."

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If you had the money (and schedule flexibility) to fly first class around the world on a 'mileage run' why would you give a poo poo about your airline status? Status doesn't give you anything you don't get from buying a first class ticket.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
He has a creepshots around the world section, no wonder he's the most popular guy on flyertalk.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

air- posted:

Speaking about airline food/menus, I stumbled upon this the other day. Not only is this guy entitled, it gets full on creepy :staredog:

It's an entertaining read to see the absurd opulence of the lounges in DOH though.

That dude does a good job with trip reports.

If anyone has questions about premium cabins that guy has probably posted a recent review and picture. Flyertalk has just brainwashed him a little bit.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

I just thought, Oh it's some crazy rich guy going all :spergin: until I saw

:negative:

Not too many cities for a first class flyer :downsrim:

Wish he reviewed local food duty free snacks instead.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

caberham posted:

I just thought, Oh it's some crazy rich guy going all :spergin: until I saw

:negative:

Not too many cities for a first class flyer :downsrim:

Wish he reviewed local food duty free snacks instead.

I am creeped out that he has a "Girls of Denver" section.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

That dude does a good job with trip reports.

If anyone has questions about premium cabins that guy has probably posted a recent review and picture. Flyertalk has just brainwashed him a little bit.

I've met him briefly once or twice. He seems normal enough in person, but yeah, there is a point at which you go 'round the bend.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Dear god, that creepshots section is just the icing on an entitled, whiny cake that wears ugly shoes.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Don't go down the rabbit hole...

I have a doozy of a trip coming up in a few months. 2 weeks in Japan, then 1 week in Austria, then 1 night in Las Vegas (for a silly loving banquet) and back to Detroit.

What's the best way to clean my clothes? I don't want to drag a huge rear end trunk around with me everywhere. Some hotels in Japan will do laundry but all the ones that I saw won't wash your underwear.

Especially since this trip will have a ton of train travel, I want to try to do it light somehow.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

I have a doozy of a trip coming up in a few months. 2 weeks in Japan, then 1 week in Austria, then 1 night in Las Vegas (for a silly loving banquet) and back to Detroit.

What's the best way to clean my clothes? I don't want to drag a huge rear end trunk around with me everywhere. Some hotels in Japan will do laundry but all the ones that I saw won't wash your underwear.

Especially since this trip will have a ton of train travel, I want to try to do it light somehow.

Try to get it done in Japan as public places to wash clothes are hard to come by in Germany and Austria. That said, where in Austria are you going? Salzburg is one of my favorite places on earth, mostly because of the Augustiner Brau.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mackieman posted:

Try to get it done in Japan as public places to wash clothes are hard to come by in Germany and Austria. That said, where in Austria are you going? Salzburg is one of my favorite places on earth, mostly because of the Augustiner Brau.

Going to Wien, hope I can get some good German style beer though, I can hear angels sing when I drink that stuff. Anyway, good to know about the laundry situation.

If there is some service to wash clothes in Japan that anyone knows of, though, I'm all ears. My backup is to do a load at a friend's place but I'd rather get it done to save some time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Are coin operated laundry rooms just an American thing?

Edit coin... Also my hotel has one but it's long term. They also have a dry cleaning service and I think most places I've visited are like that.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 21, 2014

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Yeah a friend of mine complained about the underwear thing when he had a trip in Japan. He ended up having to do it by hand in his hotel bathroom.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

canoshiz posted:

Yeah a friend of mine complained about the underwear thing when he had a trip in Japan. He ended up having to do it by hand in his hotel bathroom.

Why is that a thing? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

canoshiz posted:

Maybe it's a little too :banjo: but usually wash all my underwear, undershirts and socks in the tub filled with soapy water and then rinsed off in the shower. I hang them up on the shower rods to dry. I've done this with dress shirts in a pinch, but it requires too much ironing.

I'm that guy. I always put up the DND tab because I don't want people knowing how much of a hillbilly I am.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just wear your boxers around in the hotel; the staff will think they're just shorts and wash them then. :)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Thoguh posted:

I wish I knew, its one of the great mysteries of hotels in Japan. They also fold any clothes you leave out in your room by accident, and it kind of bugs me when that happens for some reason.

Midjack posted:

Just wear your boxers around in the hotel; the staff will think they're just shorts and wash them then. :)

If only...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

quote:

canoshiz posted:

Thoguh posted:

Well sniffing underwear is a well known Japanese sexual fetish :japan:

Uncle Jam posted:

For the comedy option you can wear disposable paper underwear

:nws:

:nws:

If you want to wash you clothes without breaking your bank you can probably find laundry coin machines or service at the youth hostls.

When you are in Japan, just buy a few packs of underwear at uniqlo or a cheap outlet store. Just save you special sexy stuff for that special sexy time (which is mostly 0 for us goons)

Bloody Queef posted:

Maybe it's a little too :banjo: but usually wash all my underwear, undershirts and socks in the tub filled with soapy water and then rinsed off in the shower. I hang them up on the shower rods to dry. I've done this with dress shirts in a pinch, but it requires too much ironing.

I'm that guy. I always put up the DND tab because I don't want people knowing how much of a hillbilly I am.

It's not that weird is it? Hotel laundry is expensive! For me, I just wear a quick dry shirt as an undershirt and wash that every night. Keeps my nicer clothes clean and my bags light. I really hate packing multiple shoes

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

Going to Wien, hope I can get some good German style beer though, I can hear angels sing when I drink that stuff. Anyway, good to know about the laundry situation.

If there is some service to wash clothes in Japan that anyone knows of, though, I'm all ears. My backup is to do a load at a friend's place but I'd rather get it done to save some time.

Vienna is :coal:. If you have time, dinner at the Zwolf Apostekeller is an excellent way to pass the evening. http://www.zwoelf-apostelkeller.at/

Also, Bratislava is an hour and a half away via train and it is badass.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's not that weird is it? Hotel laundry is expensive! For me, I just wear a quick dry shirt as an undershirt and wash that every night. Keeps my nicer clothes clean and my bags light. I really hate packing multiple shoes
[/quote]

Hotel laundry is expensive, but two weeks straight gets to the point where the company can pay to get my dress shirts dry cleaned and pressed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Where in Germany are you going to be? I remember in Frankfurt there being a by-the-kilo overnight cleaning service in the Hauptbahnhof, and in Munich I had no trouble finding a laundromat. Really anywhere you are just google "laundromat" and something is going to pop up, though it might be self service and require you to hang out for a few hours.

For in hotel laundry, I've posted this before, but you can buy sink sized packages of Woolite that work great for washing a change of clothes. Tide makes them as well, but I've never tried those. Backpacker type laundry soap would also probably work fine.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 21, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hotel laundry is expensive, but two weeks straight gets to the point where the company can pay to get my dress shirts dry cleaned and pressed.

Oh yeah that is gonna get expensed.

I'll probably just hand wash some laundry in the sink then. Maybe one of the newer biz hotels will have a better laundry. I checked some QA sites in Japan and that seems to be the prevailing method anyway.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man some China goon found a super cheap deal like 1379 RMB (222 USD) including tax round trip Hong Kong to LA, and a tad more for Boston.

The catch is he has to do 39 layovers :downsrim: If it's 39 layovers, he's bound to be near boston, can't he just skip some of the flights and just walk out of the airport?

Will he be able to claim mileage for this?

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

caberham posted:

Man some China goon found a super cheap deal like 1379 RMB (222 USD) including tax round trip Hong Kong to LA, and a tad more for Boston.

The catch is he has to do 39 layovers :downsrim: If it's 39 layovers, he's bound to be near boston, can't he just skip some of the flights and just walk out of the airport?

Will he be able to claim mileage for this?

How long is this trip.. morbid curiosity.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I have not clue, he's not booking it though because he thinks it's a glitch because it thinks the whole return trip with 39 layovers will only take 6 hours.

If only he booked it :smith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

I have not clue, he's not booking it though because he thinks it's a glitch because it thinks the whole return trip with 39 layovers will only take 6 hours.

If only he booked it :smith:

If I were him I'd book it, wait for the inevitable missed connection, reroute to a direct flight, and then call in for original routing credit.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Buy some ExOfficio boxer briefs. They take forever to get smelly and are easily washed and dried at the hotel. They're worth every penny

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

oxsnard posted:

Buy some ExOfficio boxer briefs. They take forever to get smelly and are easily washed and dried at the hotel. They're worth every penny

Counterpoint they fit weird and make you sweat, I far prefer Underarmour products. I do like the ex officio undershirts though. They do make me sweat more than cotton but are quick drying and easy to clean.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm heading directly from work travel in El Paso to LA to fun travel in Hawaii next week and I can't believe I somehow fit 2.5 weeks of radically different clothing, three pairs of shoes (heels!), and all my vacation poo poo into a carryon rollerbag. It's very heavy. I'm reaaaally trying to avoid hotel shampoo in the sink laundry.

caberham posted:

Thanks travel goon. Awesome post card from Seattle :glomp:
:respek:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
PM me your address! I just came back from goon meet Chengdu :goonsay:

taco show posted:

I'm heading directly from work travel in El Paso to LA to fun travel in Hawaii next week and I can't believe I somehow fit 2.5 weeks of radically different clothing, three pairs of shoes (heels!), and all my vacation poo poo into a carryon rollerbag. It's very heavy. I'm reaaaally trying to avoid hotel shampoo in the sink laundry.

eeek. How about sending your fun clothes in a separate bag to Hawaii with USPS or some other courier service? Once you finish your work stuff in LA, send the work bag back home to El Paso and waltz into the plane bag loving free like a boss!

Oh what's wrong with hotel shampoo? Sometimes you get lucky and get Occitaine or Neutrogena or Crabtree and Evelyn

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At least it's Hawaii so you don't need a whole ton of varied clothes.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
New policy at my company: no flying in J for regional meetings unless you are an SVP or C-level :smithicide:

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Pissingintowind posted:

New policy at my company: no flying in J for regional meetings unless you are an SVP or C-level :smithicide:

I feel your pain - my company changed this policy right before I started making 2x Asia trips a year.

They allow Econ + but it's still painful.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pissingintowind posted:

How long are those flights?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Getting the class drops always feels miserable. My goondolences.

Can youou fork over extra cash for extra leg room?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Thoguh posted:

How long are those flights?

MOW <-> DXB. 5-6 hours. Bummer is huge though, because it was previously EK J :(

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pissingintowind posted:

MOW <-> DXB. 5-6 hours. Bummer is huge though, because it was previously EK J :(

That sucks. Do you at least still get to buy business for longer flights?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Thoguh posted:

That sucks. Do you at least still get to buy business for longer flights?

It's funny, this isn't a function of length. The criteria is if it's a regional meeting, everyone has to fly economy. I guess they don't want over 100 people buying business class tickets at once? Our typical policy is any international flight is business. If I was heading to DXB for a particular project, I could still book J.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
My husband and I have to live in an extended stay hotel for the next 3 weeks or so due to circumstances beyond our control. Do you guys have any tips to make this bearable? Here's some other info:

-We've been making the bed every day since our room only gets housekeeping once a week. It makes it feel more homey. We also have our own blankets and pillows.
-Yesterday we went grocery shopping so that we can cook for ourselves (there's a kitchenette with a small range, full size refrigerator, cabinets, microwave, a sink, and we were able to check out utensils/plates/pots and pans from the front desk).
-There is no pool or gym on site.
-There is a laundry room with $2 per load wash and dry...we were able to get rolls of quarters from the front desk.
-The Extended Stay is in the city we've lived in for the last 6 years, so as far as exploring a new area etc. that isn't really possible because we've done everything there is to do.
-My husband gets to go to work Monday through Friday (lucky bastard). My job is fully online. I am thinking during weekdays I will walk over to the neighboring Starbucks to work just so that I don't feel so claustrophobic.

Anything else we should do? I am glad we have a pretty exact date we will be outta here.