Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I went looking for a way to use the SSG in Doom 1, as I'm sure we all have, and happened upon a messageboard where a guy uploaded a 50mb file to oblige someone with the same request I had. Intrigued and craving virulent software I DL'd (downloaded) this file and extracted it to find somebody's entire 200mb Doom folder, complete with source ports and IWADS.

At the core of this illicit cache was DOOM_SSG.WAD, weighing in at 12.1mb, microscopically larger than the Ultimate Doom IWAD, as well as the instructions to load this Super-Shotgunnier PWAD over top of the original game. When I attempted to use the PWAD in my GZDoom config, I found a missing-resource ! out by the mega-armor in E1M1. I only found and grabbed the SSG sprite in E1M1 when I dragged the bloated WAD onto the copy of GZDoom that it was zipped up for distribution with.

Now surely there is a more efficient way to serve the SSG à la carte in Ultimate Doom than to over-write the entire original set of episodes with themselves + 3 Super Shotguns. I know that loading Smooth Doom into Ultimate will bring the SSG along if one wants to console-command it into their pockets, for instance. But is there not a 'lil drop-in that would, say, replace all placed Shotgun pickups with SSGs but leave the Sergeants to continue to drop their pumps? Something along those lines?

Break it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

I think it's probably because they wanted the game to be slower and moodier than most of its contemporaries (Doom and Duke primarily, I'd think), so rather than having music you can jam out to, they went more for atmosphere-building with the ambient noises and so forth. It works in a way, because even good-looking stuff like Hellbound is a completely silent and emotionless void aside from the heavy metal music blasting around. On the flip side, Marathon 1 is definitely the slowest-paced game of the bunch but because of the music it feels more energetic than Durandal, which is much much more action-oriented.
I think this is my biggest problem (I use that word loosely) with Doom wads. The lack of ambient sounds just make it nearly impossible to get into any level really. It's just a side effect of playing Duke3D a lot but that game had such great ambience sounds all throughout the game that playing something without them really makes it stick out sorely. I know of course that the base game can't really support them (I guess excluding those rising pillars which make noise) but they add a lot to a level's atmosphere so I wish more wads would use them (or engines would just add a unified system or whatever so they would work in all ports)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I've never been able to play through enough of Marathon 1 to read it all... I really wish there was a ZMarathon-ish thing. Call it Aleph Two, cooperate with Aleph One to keep them from exploding one another and share fixes where you can, but otherwise ignore 'em.

Adam Bowen posted:

I've always assumed the consensus was that Doom 2 was all around better because I'd never really heard anyone compare the two before.

Doom 2 is a straight upgrade for building WADs off of, and it's got some really great levels... but the first episode of Doom 1 is probably the best Doom ever.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've been playing a lot of Doom at work lately during breaks. Doom Touch is, from what I can tell, the best Doom Android port there is, though it does cost $2.45 for the privilege. Doom is a more interesting challenge when you suddenly can't twitch aim as well as you can with a mouse.

I've been going through Doom The Way id Did at work, which is a great WAD that replicates the original Doom feel quite well. Levels feel overall bigger than the originals did in episode 1, but apart from that the difficulty and style is bang-on. Are there any other mods out there that keep that kind of difficulty? I don't really want to do, say, Plutonia 2 on my phone.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Copper Vein posted:

But is there not a 'lil drop-in that would, say, replace all placed Shotgun pickups with SSGs but leave the Sergeants to continue to drop their pumps? Something along those lines?

Break it down

Done. Enjoy, mate.

http://www.best-ever.org/download?file=doom1ssg.pk3

Any other gameplay tweaks or changes you want, let me know.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

I've been playing a lot of Doom at work lately during breaks. Doom Touch is, from what I can tell, the best Doom Android port there is, though it does cost $2.45 for the privilege. Doom is a more interesting challenge when you suddenly can't twitch aim as well as you can with a mouse.

Well, it costs one person $2.45. It's GPL, says so on the store page even, so you can legally distribute it. Of course it also says it contains code from gzdoom, so I wouldn't trust them to not sue you for doing what you're legally allowed to do anyway...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

Well, it costs one person $2.45. It's GPL, says so on the store page even, so you can legally distribute it. Of course it also says it contains code from gzdoom, so I wouldn't trust them to not sue you for doing what you're legally allowed to do anyway...

The app comes with three ports refitted to work on Android: Gzdoom, Prboom+, and Chocolate. It's combined with a front-end and a touch interface for playing the game.

I don't get the gzdoom comment.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

gzdoom, as a descendant of zdoom, is under a mess of about twenty different licenses, several of which conflict with the GPL.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

built demos are weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1eWKNhHXNc

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

TerminusEst13 posted:

Any other gameplay tweaks or changes you want, let me know.

Gonna assume you're not being sarcastic and I'm gonna go find my Doom Ideas/Algebra notebook from ninth grade and I'll get back to ya.

Thanks a lot.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So, I just downloaded the DoomRPG launcher and the launcher just crashes on startup. .NET 4.5 or higher installed, launcher in my gzDoom folder, main download DoomRPG wads and stuff in a DoomRPG subfolder in the gzDoom folder, that should all be correct, right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Someone asked for opinions on Citadel versus Unholy Cathedral. As a first time player? Citadel sucked. It was too big, with not only too much stuff going on but this annoying faux-realism moat structure that just gave me more walls to use for no reason. A lot of it was just meandering keyhunting, especially the five teleporter room near the end. Speaking of that teleporter room, I'm not sure how you're even supposed to get into that building without running between the torches outside just so; it felt like I was taking advantage of a glitch rather than doing what the level intended.

In contrast, Unholy Cathedral is really tight, with the level using small spaces repeatedly in a lot of cool and different ways, with you passing through the centre repeatedly and finding it different every time. It was really cool and fun to play in a way Citadel wasn't, and I think it's one of the levels I liked most in the first three episodes.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, I just downloaded the DoomRPG launcher and the launcher just crashes on startup. .NET 4.5 or higher installed, launcher in my gzDoom folder, main download DoomRPG wads and stuff in a DoomRPG subfolder in the gzDoom folder, that should all be correct, right?

Yeah, it should work. Try running it in compatibility mode if you're on Windows 8, maybe? I'm on win7 x64 and it runs just fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jordan7hm posted:

Ehhhhh. Marathon is slow and corridor-y. If that's your jam, fair enough, but I don't think they hold up better than other 2.5D FPSs of the same era.

e: I should specify that I'm referring to the first one. I didn't enjoy it and never bothered with the second.

Marathon is like Doom mixed with Halo. Or Doom more according to the Doom Bible. Doom if Romero was in complete charge, maybe :cheeky:

Its got a much better story and atmosphere and theming going on than Doom ever does. But the gameplay just doesn't hold a candle to the perfect zen that doom has where you're running around gunning everybody down just right, in the same way serious sam or return of the triads are good but not quite... doom.

Keiya posted:

Doom 2 is a straight upgrade for building WADs off of, and it's got some really great levels... but the first episode of Doom 1 is probably the best Doom ever.

Not only is knee deep in the dead the best episode, (and also the most memorable because we all had it because it was free, lets be honest :cheeky:) but even episodes 2 and 3 are better than Doom 2. Episode 4 is still miles better, but hard as balls. But its good if you want that kinda thing, mostly.

After somebody pointed out just how lazy lots of the doom 2 level design is, I replayed through some of it and I have to really agree. I never played much of it back in the day, was too busy with Doom 1, Dark Forces, and Heretic. Mmmm, Dark Forces.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 20, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Marathon is like Doom mixed with Halo. Or Doom more according to the Doom Bible. Doom if Romero was in complete charge, maybe :cheeky:
You mean Doom if Tom Hall was in complete charge, right? IIRC he's the one who wrote that Bible.

And, well, from what I've heard, his contributions to the Doom alphas weren't nearly as fun as the rest of the team's, being focused too hard on being a place in a world than being a level in a game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

but even episodes 2 and 3 are better than Doom 2

Okay this thread is getting pretty ridiculous with the Doom 2 bashing.

The Shores of Hell is terrible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

You mean Doom if Tom Hall was in complete charge, right? IIRC he's the one who wrote that Bible.

And, well, from what I've heard, his contributions to the Doom alphas weren't nearly as fun as the rest of the team's, being focused too hard on being a place in a world than being a level in a game.

I still want to play Tom Hall's pseudo-System Shock version of Doom from the bible descriptions.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

So, uh.

Does anyone know any 'urban' map wads? I'm talking cramped spaces, disused looking places, warehouses, dark streets and so on. Or maybe just a skyscraper so I can recreate Die Hard and yippy-ka-yay all these Mr. Falcons. I'm looking for something to play ww-terrorists with and I'm getting kinda tired of all these techbases.

I've already got a few (like Urban Fire) laying around, but most are either crap or waaaaaaay too hard (my fault for playing with ww-terrorists, I guess). I know this is kind of a tall order, but hell, there's so much stuff out there, there's bound to be at least something that resembles what I'm looking for, right?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I've been on this Doom demo recording poo poo the last few days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNx5ERixrYc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

M.Ciaster posted:

So, uh.

Does anyone know any 'urban' map wads? I'm talking cramped spaces, disused looking places, warehouses, dark streets and so on. Or maybe just a skyscraper so I can recreate Die Hard and yippy-ka-yay all these Mr. Falcons. I'm looking for something to play ww-terrorists with and I'm getting kinda tired of all these techbases.

I've already got a few (like Urban Fire) laying around, but most are either crap or waaaaaaay too hard (my fault for playing with ww-terrorists, I guess). I know this is kind of a tall order, but hell, there's so much stuff out there, there's bound to be at least something that resembles what I'm looking for, right?

The first few maps of the WAD we were talking about recently, Hellbound, are very urban and pretty well done. Certainly better than the attempt at urban settings in doom 2.

That's about all I've got though. For me Urban early FPS means Duke Nukem :cool:
If you wanna yippy-ka-yay some mother fuckers in a skyscraper, you're looking for the Duke.
Balls of steel.

The original Shadow Warrior has a few good ones too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Wasn't it him who insisted on teleporters?

Also I wouldn't be too harsh on his level layouts in the alphas. It's hard to come up with interesting level design when:
1. There's no gameplay yet, monsters don't move, weapons give no feedback, etc.
2. The game crashes or slows down for mysterious reasons when the architecture in a level gets too complicated
3. The only experience and reference you have for this type of game is Wolfenstein 3D
4. Many of the gameplay elements you had in mind ended up never being implemented

M.Ciaster posted:

So, uh.

Planisphere 2?

Or you can try Going Down. The first few levels are in and around a building. Then you keep riding the elevator downwards into the depth of Earth and Hell, but at the beginning, you're in an office building cleaning it of badguys from the top down.

It also features the best intermission text ever written for Doom II.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The first few maps of the WAD we were talking about recently, Hellbound, are very urban and pretty well done. Certainly better than the attempt at urban settings in doom 2.

That's about all I've got though. For me Urban early FPS means Duke Nukem :cool:
If you wanna yippy-ka-yay some mother fuckers in a skyscraper, you're looking for the Duke.
Balls of steel.

The original Shadow Warrior has a few good ones too.

Yeah, I know, I kinda hate Hellbound though :v: Even after trying to play it with Russian Overkill, it was so dark and full of hallways and going around in circles I just gave up.

And yeah, Duke's cool, but I really prefer Doom's gameplay. Maybe I should try Samsara or something, I dunno.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

M.Ciaster posted:

So, uh.

rock and roll rebel radio against satan city has a pair of duke3d-style 1024 maps that are almost as good as their name.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That's Doom 2 done on HMP! That was a lot of fun, if uneven. I really liked some of the levels (Downtown, Courtyard) and other ones were just painful (Citadel, Tenements.) Any recommendations for what to play next? I have access to Final Doom, the Doom II Master Levels, and No Rest For The Living (the WAD in Doom 3: BFG Edition), are any of those worth playing?

Arivia fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 21, 2014

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Arivia posted:

I really liked... Downtown

You're a monster.

If you haven't played through the four Doom episodes yet, do that.

No Rest for the Living is faaan-tastic. Vivisection is close to my ideal for a perfect Doom 2 map.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I've done Doom 1, yep - including Thy Flesh Consumed. I really liked the fourth episode - Perfect Hatred in particular is cool for a new player like me because it asks you to do so many cool tricks you see as experienced play, like getting used to skating around tiny ledges and strafing ever so carefully, managing infighting and so on. It was like getting the training wheels taken off and SOARING.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Linguica posted:

I've been on this Doom demo recording poo poo the last few days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNx5ERixrYc

I don't get anything about this. Why.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Linguica's Corridor Masters

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I guess to demonstrate the difference between taking a 35 fps video and forcing it into 30 fps, vs making a 30 fps video from scratch?

The "difference" video shows that there's definitely a difference between the two frames, but IMO it's not enough to really get worked up over.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yodzilla posted:

Doom (and thus Doom demos) runs at 35hz for all its game logic and rendering code. When you upload a 35 fps video to YouTube, it gets converted to 30fps automatically, presumably by dropping every 7th frame, although I don't really know exactly how their encoders are set up or anything. That means every fifth of a second in a YouTube version of a Doom demo, there's a tiny jump forward. This is pretty imperceptible but I was curious how it would look if I compared it to a video truly recorded at 30fps and if it looked any better or smoother.

When I watch it focusing on the normal method and then on my own method, I feel like I can tell a slight difference, but it might be wishful thinking.

Malmanous
Mar 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Wasn't it him who insisted on teleporters?

Also I wouldn't be too harsh on his level layouts in the alphas. It's hard to come up with interesting level design when:
1. There's no gameplay yet, monsters don't move, weapons give no feedback, etc.
2. The game crashes or slows down for mysterious reasons when the architecture in a level gets too complicated
3. The only experience and reference you have for this type of game is Wolfenstein 3D
4. Many of the gameplay elements you had in mind ended up never being implemented

According to this postmortem by Romero and Hall http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014627/Classic-Game-Postmortem he did insist on the teleporters, they also say he was originally told to make the levels like real military bases. I think the book Masters of Doom says the same thing, but its been awhile since I read it.

Edit: The crate maze part of E2M2 is still my favorite part of original Doom.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So after spending a while loving around in War of Attrition 1.6, some thoughts.

First of all, I'm not sure if it's gotten harder, or if I'm just out of practice -- I seem to be dying a lot more, and a lot more suddenly. It does feel like it ramps up faster, with nastier enemies appearing earlier.

The new character progression mechanics are cool, with different Duke upgrades being purchasable for different numbers of levels, rather than getting a fixed one every ten levels.

The starting weapon pick is also cool, but the shrinker/expander is better than every other option by a comically huge margin. This would be true even if you only got the shrinker or the expander, but you get both. It's nuts.

Speaking of the expander, it's been nerfed into the ground -- minions now last only one minute. To be fair, I have a hard time saying that was the wrong call, because the ability to turn any enemy including bosses into a loyal minion that follows you around ripping faces off for the rest of the level was really loving overpowered. Even with this, it's still a very, very good weapon.

I've been enjoying it a lot, but it's also reminding me of everything that's wrong with duke3d level design -- both the original levels and the fan-maps. Off the top of my head...
- switch "puzzles" that you have to solve by brute force
- destroyable walls that are indistinguishable from normal walls
- normal walls that look like destroyable walls
- switches that look like scenery
- a wall you have to destroy to progress and only one pipebomb to do so with; bonus points if scenery makes it really hard to get the pipebomb in the right place
- laser tripmines that you cannot evade on a level with no explosives to destroy them with
- locks tucked in out of the way places near the start of the level where you will never remember them once you find the key 20 minutes later

Also, laser tripmines are still completely worthless since enemies will go to great lengths to avoid stepping in the beam, even if it means they can't attack you.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Malmanous posted:

Edit: The crate maze part of E2M2 is still my favorite part of original Doom.

Needs More Detail Ultimate is my fav Doom wad. The author replaced every single level of the original while keeping the same feel and level of detail, and there are little architectual hints to the original levels. And it has its own take on the crate maze from E2M2.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/megawads/nmdu.zip

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Linguica posted:

Doom (and thus Doom demos) runs at 35hz for all its game logic and rendering code. When you upload a 35 fps video to YouTube, it gets converted to 30fps automatically, presumably by dropping every 7th frame, although I don't really know exactly how their encoders are set up or anything. That means every fifth of a second in a YouTube version of a Doom demo, there's a tiny jump forward. This is pretty imperceptible but I was curious how it would look if I compared it to a video truly recorded at 30fps and if it looked any better or smoother.

When I watch it focusing on the normal method and then on my own method, I feel like I can tell a slight difference, but it might be wishful thinking.

Frame blending is usually the best option for video that is above 30fps, but at 35fps you might be best off just dropping the 5 extra frames. Youtube will poo poo on your video quality regardless, so don't lose sleep over it (I have).

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Needs More Detail Ultimate is my fav Doom wad. The author replaced every single level of the original while keeping the same feel and level of detail, and there are little architectual hints to the original levels. And it has its own take on the crate maze from E2M2.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/megawads/nmdu.zip

Wow this is really great. Recapturing the magic of Doom while still feeling fresh. Doom the Way id Did does this pretty well, too. Makes me remember how much I love the original Doom. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Did the original Marathon release have mouse look? Because I'm playing through again on Aleph One and realizing that Marathon was kinda awesome for when it came out on Mac, with alt fire guns and such.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yep, Aleph One didn't add any major features to the game, it only lets you play the proper ones on Windows and has higher resolution support.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

DoomRPG + Doom Arsenal is absurdly fun jesus christ. I now have a reason to play through Hellbound's levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bouchacha posted:

DoomRPG + Doom Arsenal is absurdly fun jesus christ. I now have a reason to play through Hellbound's levels.

Except you lose all your guns and equipment at several points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Any suggestions for Stats in DoomRPG? Been kinda just pumping EP to get enough for some skills and then agility or luck.