Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Wadjamaloo posted:

On the anon stream it looked like she got put into a cop car. Not in cuffs mind you, just politely given a ride.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

People die from getting shot in the leg. Guns are lethal force. If you're using lethal force you should be using it because it is the only option left. If you're shooting to disable you shouldn't be shooting at all.

yes...but if your gonna shot at him anyway.....

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
For now things seem to be going pretty smoothly.

If things continue to be peaceful I doubt Vice is going to cover this as intensely as they have been. Their work is incredible but they are also very sensationalist and are drawn by extremism and violence. They might continue with dispatches but I'm not so sure about too many more live streams.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Pohl posted:

Ah, so you can try and shoot a guy in the leg to incapacitate him, and hope he doesn't die; or you can just shot him a dozen times in the torso and head because if you are going to shoot someone, you might as well kill them.

please stop quoting police use of force manuals!

I know someone's gonna show up and say "you can't back seat judge the police actions, you weren't there" but come the gently caress on. The dude had a steak knife. Handling the situation appropriately would've been as simple as "getting the gently caress back in the car".

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Vincent Van Goat posted:

Is the "I am Mike Brown" stream only playing audio from the right side for anyone else? It's kinda weird to have noise in one ear, and dead silence in the other.

Maybe they would have killed him from shooting him in the leg. It's better to try to be non-lethal and fail than to immediately resort to shooting to kill.

You do not fire a gun unless you would be justified in killing the person. Shoot to wound is a terrible policy that will end up with people who shouldn't be killed being killed quite frequently and lots of other people being permanently disfigured when they pissed off a cop but weren't an immediate threat. Any policy other than keep your finger off the trigger unless you plan to kill someone (and would be justified in that decision) is going to be a disaster.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

For now things seem to be going pretty smoothly.

If things continue to be peaceful I doubt Vice is going to cover this as intensely as they have been. Their work is incredible but they are also very sensationalist and are drawn by extremism and violence. They might continue with dispatches but I'm not so sure about too many more live streams.

Looks like it's already begun. Tim tweeted he's back in NYC, although Alice is still in Ferguson.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

54.4 crowns posted:

If you're not shooting to kill them them that means the use of deadly force via the gun wasn't necessary and blah blah. The US legal system is awfully obtuse in a lot of ways on this subject

However I remember watching a video from Poland, I think, they were shooting to wound and fired a zillion rounds before hitting the dude in hit leg. Each of those rounds have the potential to hurt others, so frankly I'd rather people shoot for center mass in crowded areas

Marx fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 21, 2014

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

this poo poo again huh? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFr30p0aZl0

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bumming a ride?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

54.4 crowns posted:

How hard is it to shoot a guy in the loving LEG?!
Way harder than you'd think.
(To qualify my answer: I served 4 years in the US Army, advanced marksmanship, I'm an avid competition shooter, go through many MANY times the ammunition during practice than the average officer goes through in an entire year and I wince at the thought of calling a shot under stress on a moving target like that.)

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Ballz posted:

Looks like it's already begun. Tim tweeted he's back in NYC, although Alice is still in Ferguson.

wow he dipped after a single night of peace?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

pleas post the one where they have to shoot the satanist chick thanks and god bless

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

iostream.h posted:

(To qualify my answer: I served 4 years in the US Army, advanced marksmanship, I'm an avid competition shooter, go through many MANY times the ammunition during practice than the average officer goes through in an entire year and I wince at the thought of calling a shot under stress on a moving target like that.)

There were two cops, did you watch the video? Pretty sure one of them could have pulled a gun and the other a tazer, instead of them both emptying on him with their guns. And if they were going to both shoot him yes I think they could have managed to hit him in the loving arm or leg instead of just spray and pray into his face and center mass. Police in this country have completely lost their minds.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

KernelSlanders posted:

You do not fire a gun unless you would be justified in killing the person. Shoot to wound is a terrible policy that will end up with people who shouldn't be killed being killed quite frequently and lots of other people being permanently disfigured when they pissed off a cop but weren't an immediate threat. Any policy other than keep your finger off the trigger unless you plan to kill someone (and would be justified in that decision) is going to be a disaster.

The policy really should extend to "don't point your weapon at something you don't feel you would be justified in killing" like any normal gun safety class would teach you, but basically this. If you encourage "shoot to wound" then more people die, not fewer, because people start to think of shooting as a non-lethal act.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

KernelSlanders posted:

Counter-argument: rest of the world.

America does worst. The reason that it is done differently elsewhere should make the policy extremely shaky.

Your "oh no wounding people left and right" has not happened in europe. We still KILL people left and right in the US.

Even the loving retarded enlisted MPs in the conscript Army of Finland learn to limb shoot with practice and the effectiveness of them against knifers and people ARMED WITH FIREARMS has been proven.

In the failure of limb shot, nothing prevents goikg for center mass.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 21, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

ascii genitals posted:

There were two cops, did you watch the video? Pretty sure one of them could have pulled a gun and the other a tazer, instead of them both emptying on him with their guns.

Please don't assume I find their actions in any way defensible.
If nothing else (and assuming the cost of a Tazer is a deciding factor) a simple beanbag round would have instantly incapacitated him, with near-zero risk to bystanders with non-lethal force.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

please stop quoting police use of force manuals!

I know someone's gonna show up and say "you can't back seat judge the police actions, you weren't there" but come the gently caress on. The dude had a steak knife. Handling the situation appropriately would've been as simple as "getting the gently caress back in the car".

Just going to point out that the idea that police can just get back into their vehicle to deescalate is very strange. They can't step back into their vehicle for the same reason they can't just stay inside when they show up: they have a job to do and that's to secure the situation and protect the public.

There's always ways to improve responses and it's fair to absolutely fair to scrutinize over these incidents, though.

Damiya posted:

wow he dipped after a single night of peace?

Read some of Alice's tweets in particular. Vice is in the business of making the world seem as bleak as possible. This works a lot of the time because poo poo does get bleak but if the demonstrations aren't chaos then they aren't interested.

SirJohnnyMcDonald fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 21, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Tim is in NYC? Ultimate bitch. His handshake was weak as poo poo too.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

iostream.h posted:

The guy was basically standing still. From less than 10 feet, that isn't a really difficult shot.

ascii genitals posted:

There were two cops, did you watch the video? Pretty sure one of them could have pulled a gun and the other a tazer, instead of them both emptying on him with their guns. And if they were going to both shoot him yes I think they could have managed to hit him in the loving arm or leg instead of just spray and pray into his face and center mass. Police in this country have completely lost their minds.

They didn't have tasers.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I like how everyone just accepting the vernacular 'charge', because that's ever used when not talking about an animal.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
nm

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cheekio posted:

I like how everyone just accepting the vernacular 'charge', because that's ever used when not talking about an animal.

And sports, war, and any other violent confrontation between people.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

People on the anon stream saying someone's wife was arrested for starting a for inciting a riot??

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

ascii genitals posted:

This country has lost its mind, or more like never had one at all with all the apologists. The fact is the general populace actually supports the police and the way they behave.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Koalas March posted:

People on the anon stream saying someone's wife was arrested for starting a for inciting a riot??

I'd imagine that's in reference to the woman with the Wilson sign

grossghost
Jan 13, 2011

Koalas March posted:

The streamer said it was Wilson's wife. I don't believe that at all, but he said he was certain. He caught it live too, which I missed.

grossghost fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 21, 2014

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

like you can call that Powell murder, "justified" if you want to split hairs and be contrarian but you're either incredibly naive or incredibly stupid to honestly believe the right series of events happened from the moment they pulled up to the moment they put two more bullets in a dead dude. they didn't even ATTEMPT to do anything but shoot a man, and that's the problem.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Eyewitnesses reported Brown saw a mouse, got spooked, and charged toward Wilson with his trunk flailing and spraying water.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I would have shot the knife out of his hand :smug:

:goonsay:

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

iostream.h posted:

He was 4 meters away!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Pohl posted:

The guy was basically standing still. From less than 10 feet, that isn't a really difficult shot.
Rather than debate this with you, suffice it to say that no police department in the nation has a qualification requirement that requires anywhere near the level of skill required to perform this with any level of reliable accuracy and/or minimal risk to bystanders.

Edit: Jesus Christ, I really didn't think I was going to start a shitstorm like this.
Yes, at that range, under ideal conditions it's NOT a particularly difficult shot. Add adrenalin, worrying about bystanders, other threats, etc and the difficulty goes up quite a bit. Add all that onto what I said above and yeah, it's not a shot I'd trust a lot of cops to be able to make on the spur of the moment. I'd damned sure rather their FIRST instinct would be to go for a non-lethal option rather than grabbing their damned guns and going for a wingshot.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 21, 2014

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

Just going to point out that the idea that police can just get back into their vehicle to deescalate is very strange. They can't step back into their vehicle for the same reason they can't just stay inside when they show up: they have a job to do and that's to secure the situation and protect the public.

Look I know stepping back in their vehicle to deescalate means they can't put the feral animal downhandle the suspect now, but if they're patient...

This isn't hard. Get back in the loving car and wait for support. Backup was there literally moments after they murdered the guy, maybe one of them had some mace or a taser or was willing to, heaven forbid, try something literally other than turn the dial up to 11 the moment they jumped out the car.

And I'm not saying "drive the gently caress away", they're right there if the situation changes. They've always got the chance to hop out of the car and execute him then!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

54.4 crowns posted:

At no point is "Shoot a guy a little" a good choice. If "Shoot him in the leg" is an option so is a tazer, or OC spray, or a baton, or a thousand other things much less lethal than a bullet in the leg. If the police are shooting people it should be because there is absolutely no other choice.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

iostream.h posted:

Rather than debate this with you, suffice it to say that no police department in the nation has a qualification requirement that requires anywhere near the level of skill required to perform this with any level of reliable accuracy and/or minimal risk to bystanders.

Oh, it was evident they were worried about bystanders, considering how they unloaded their pistols. The guy was like 5 feet from them. I haven't shot a pistol in years and I could make the loving shot.
They never thought about shooting him in the leg because the manual says shoot to kill, like you are right now. The only thing you can do is shoot to kill.

They already had their guns out, so the only option they had was deadly force. They couldn't take a less lethal route, because the first thing they did was draw their guns for no loving reason.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 21, 2014

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If the police are shooting people it should be because there is absolutely no other choice.

Unless its the rest of world where they do that and kill less people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Unless its the rest of world where they do that and kill less people.
I'm pretty sure that an inability to shoot people in the leg isn't the major problem with American law enforcement.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm pretty sure that an inability to shoot people in the leg isn't the major problem with American law enforcement.

Its one symptom of the greater problem.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

iostream.h posted:

Edit: Jesus Christ, I really didn't think I was going to start a shitstorm like this.
Yes, at that range, under ideal conditions it's NOT a particularly difficult shot. Add adrenalin, worrying about bystanders, other threats, etc and the difficulty goes up quite a bit. Add all that onto what I said above and yeah, it's not a shot I'd trust a lot of cops to be able to make on the spur of the moment. I'd damned sure rather their FIRST instinct would be to go for a non-lethal option rather than grabbing their damned guns and going for a wingshot.

Finnish police officer scores a limb shot with one shot, the standard procedure as first option against firearm armed perps who resist arrest and refuse to lay weapons down. This man had killed several people.

Shooting starts at 1:20
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuK-2CalhSc

These arguments ring so hollow that you make. There are literally entire countries where Police go for limb shots.
If you are seriously arguing that this is an extraordinary feat, then let's fire all american swat officers who can't qualify to the level of average nordic patrol officer.

Signed:

A former finn who qualified for limb shots in two weeks, alongside with 200 recruits. In dark, smoek and crowds, the simmunition landed on the lower limbs of the perps with about 92% accuracy (stats for real).
Sometimes they hit center mass but that is a risk of gunfire and it is okay.

The basic gist is this: if perp is not actively shooting but is likely to start, use your time advantage to aim and take a limb shot.

If perp is actively firing, return fire center mass until he stops actively firing. Resume aiming if necessary for disabling shots.

Plz argue in good faith.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 21, 2014

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

At no point is "Shoot a guy a little" a good choice. If "Shoot him in the leg" is an option so is a tazer, or OC spray, or a baton, or a thousand other things much less lethal than a bullet in the leg. If the police are shooting people it should be because there is absolutely no other choice.

We understand each other very well in that regard...the idea was sorta rhetorical...

If you cant be bothered with a batong, mace or tazer... at least lower the aim a centimeter away from the internal organs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Is anything happening? I've been relying on VICE for video but I don't see anything now. What's a good stream?

• Locked thread