Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

I never paid Emizel much mind when I originally played D4, just because of how much of an annoying bitch he was thru his introductory chapter. He's a pretty solid rear end beater in a game where magic can be the win-button.

I loving love the cheatshop too. I like taking on story mode with broken, overlevelled characters. It makes the pre-map enemy poo poo-talk amusing.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

5-2 also gets you level 99 enemies at 8 stars - bonus XP for low-mid-level grinding, plus there's two easily reachable EXP+50% blocks to throw onto the geopanels. There's another two in the back of the map, but it's faster to just ignore them.

I abused the poo poo out of that map, PS3 era. I just cooked up about six expendable armor knights to take care of hurling the characters I cared about to all the xp bonus blocks.

5er fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is D2 worth picking up? I loved the first one and haven't tried the others.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The best things about Makai Kingdom were the music and the demonic sentient corn men.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How do I capture guys for interrogation in Disgaea 4 Vita? I tried throwing someone into the panel and he killed my whole team even though he wasn't very high level. Does someone in the detention club thing have to do the throwing?

Also drat Onmyo monks are annoying to unlock

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The main rules for capturing enemy units are that they have to be a lower level than the current main character, and that they have to be something you can make yourself, so you need the specific tier of the enemy unit you're trying to capture unlocked. Besides that, it's basically a fight between your base guys and the captured enemy, so weakening them helps too, as well as not having only underleveled units undeployed.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So apparently you get the Artina epilogue if you never actually deploy the tree, huh?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

King of Solomon posted:

So apparently you get the Artina epilogue if you never actually deploy the tree, huh?

That's the default one from what I recall.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

The main rules for capturing enemy units are that they have to be a lower level than the current main character, and that they have to be something you can make yourself, so you need the specific tier of the enemy unit you're trying to capture unlocked. Besides that, it's basically a fight between your base guys and the captured enemy, so weakening them helps too, as well as not having only underleveled units undeployed.

Ohhh didn't realize the tier thing, that helps thanks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's the default one from what I recall.

Yeah, figures. I completely forgot to deploy the tree prior to finishing off the final boss, so I wasn't expecting to get an epilogue at all. It was a pleasant surprise.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Marogareh posted:

The best things about Makai Kingdom were the music and the demonic sentient corn men.

The best thing about Makai Kingdom was hopping into a ufo as a prinny and flying around the home base.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ohhh didn't realize the tier thing, that helps thanks.

Yeah, I'm not even sure why they'd let you try to capture units you can't make since it stops you from capturing bosses, or at least have a tutorial explaining the conditions.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

smertrioslol posted:

Just ordered a vita to play this. Couldn't find one on base here in Korea and was scared to buy one downtown and have it be region locked. If I downloaded the game here, would I be able to get the NA version, or am I screwed and need to order a physical copy?

No problemo, I live in South Korea too and use a Vita bought from one of the many electronic department stores just fine with my Canadian PSN.

Seriously wish I'd just gotten a US PSN account though. Not like I had anything for my Vita on my PSN anyways. Or anything in my PSN for that matter.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Just for the record, the Vita isn't region-locked. It is, however, account-locked, in that without performing a factory reset you can't swap accounts on your Vita. As such, the Vita is (in a sense) locked to whatever region your account is from.

As long as your main account is an NA account and you have some way of paying the NA PSN, you can get the NA version of D4V (or any other game on the NA PSN store) digitally if you want. Just as an aside: since the Vita isn't region locked, you can technically play physical copies of games regardless of their region of origin, but you won't be able to buy DLC for it if the game's from a different region than your PSN account.

Cool beans. Hopefully when I set up my account I can still mark it as NA even though I'll have this Korean IP.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

smertrioslol posted:

Cool beans. Hopefully when I set up my account I can still mark it as NA even though I'll have this Korean IP.

Yeah PSN doesn't care for games. They only IP check for movies.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

RC Cola posted:

Is D2 worth picking up? I loved the first one and haven't tried the others.

Yes. If you loved the first one, yes. If you loved the first one, all the ones in between will be fun too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

5er posted:

Yes. If you loved the first one, yes. If you loved the first one, all the ones in between will be fun too.

I think by D2 he means Disgaea D2 the direct sequel to Disgaea, making it the "5th" game. Its currently the "newest" if you don't count 4Vita, 4V is really nice. I'm not sure if D2 fixed the lock ups some people had with it. I never got horribly far in the post game in D2, but I put "120 hours" (some of it was it being idle in the item world while I got food or something, so probably closer to 100 hours). I never got a freeze, but some people seemed to get them all the time, both disc and digital.

I'd look to see if there was a fix if you plan on doing the post game, but the post game wasn't that great in D2, 4, and 4V do it better (okay patched 4 is probably a really bad experience with the hellish grind for statistician) I guess 3 would be the best post game on a non handheld?

The Vita versions just do the game better, the DLC in the games usually comes out to over $50, so even if you buy the PS3 version and then buy the Vita version you still save money since the Vita one includes all the DLC, and improvements from newer games (generally breaking things in even more hilarious ways, the cheat shop is great fun in 4V).

Really I hate that they used D2 to title one of the game it makes it hard to tell if people are talking about the PS2 or PS3 game. If you mean the PS2 game that one is fun too, its very interesting with the felony system that was never used again. The post game is a bit rough in it compared to other ones.

Really for story alone you can play all of them (they are all pretty standalone other then Disgaea 1 and Disgaea D2, even then the summery should bring you up to speed). I would NOT play post game back to back in the games that is asking for trouble. Only play the newest one you are willing to buy for post game. I mean you could go up to clearing floor 100 on a legendary or something if you want to get a good taste for the differences in the item worlds without wanting to kill yourself (going back to hitting for 5 after hitting for 2billion is just so crushing that you likely wont make it far).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Personally I hope they continue making direct sequels and just add numbers to the D. Disgaea 2 D3, Disgaea 3 D4. Just for maximum confusion.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh my god that's the reason they have those off sounding voice clips for Val, I played through the new story and it had Troy Baker so was really confused. I'm laughing so hard.

Ending spoilers
In the new story as I said it's Troy Baker as expected, but the actual normal ending of the game they filled in the plot hole of Val being pulled into Fear the Great, and it's voiced by someone trying to be as posh as possible for some reason. Soon as the added scene is over it's right back to Troy. It's so jarring and bad

In the original if your curious Artina talks about Val getting devoured by Fear the Great (something that never happens) and how it scared her and whatnot, the new scene is just a quick one of him actually talking with God.

I can only imagine Troy finishing and at the last second "poo poo! Forgot about that scene! Get the janitor in here quick!"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending spoilers
[...]
I can only imagine Troy finishing and at the last second "poo poo! Forgot about that scene! Get the janitor in here quick!"

Hahahah yeah, that caught me off guard too. It was so sudden and hosed up. Hearing that other VA is always jarring, but that was so much worse. I'm glad they have Troy working on the majority of the new content, but goddamn. I still wish I could disable the new character voice clips just to get rid of that bullshit.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Just did my first Omega Fire. There's stupid anime poo poo, and then there's stupid anime poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

5er posted:

Just did my first Omega Fire. There's stupid anime poo poo, and then there's stupid anime poo poo.
All the Omega spells have random anime characters in them. Some are from good anime. Some are from bad anime. Decide which is which.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think they realized that animation length is no longer an issue since most people just turn them off eventually, which means I get to see the incredible animations they added in D4 which is pretty cool. Which was the totally dumb animation that zooms out to the solar system then all the planets shoot at you? I loved that one.

Also I went reverse pirating in a really high level item I have and killed a bunch of level 9999 guys thanks to deathblow panels. You don't actually get that much EXP, I think doing the level 99 trick + EXP panels is actually much quicker because of the way EXP gain seems to sort of level off. What you DO get is a shitload of HL, I have 2 billion now. Reverse pirating in a very high level item you don't care about (I'm using X Dimension tickets) is fun because you can just run in with your thief, use her to break the guaranteed legendary chests and get all sorts of nice things you shouldn't have yet.

Still in chapter 4, god I'm never gonna actually progress in this story. I set everything to 20 stars and I'm just gonna use Stella and Val with some magichange guys for now I think

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Since it appears at least some of you are quite a bit farther along than I am, can anyone confirm (or, I guess, deny) that Fallen Angel Flonne is in D4V?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dis posted:

Since it appears at least some of you are quite a bit farther along than I am, can anyone confirm (or, I guess, deny) that Fallen Angel Flonne is in D4V?

She is, its a bill you pass in like chap 4? I don't know the trigger for it, but she's a 99%, 100 mana bill.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

She is, its a bill you pass in like chap 4? I don't know the trigger for it, but she's a 99%, 100 mana bill.

Chapter 4? Really? Huh. I haven't seen that yet. Unless you have to do that title screen cheat, which I have not done. I'll keep my eyes open.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dis posted:

Chapter 4? Really? Huh. I haven't seen that yet. Unless you have to do that title screen cheat, which I have not done. I'll keep my eyes open.

I think you need to because I didn't get her in Chapter 4 either. I used the code while in Chapter 4 and she appeared then though :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you don't cheat you get her as soon as you start the postgame.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Oh yeah, I forgot some people do things legit. But yeah it didn't show up for me immediately even starting the game with the cheat.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think you need to because I didn't get her in Chapter 4 either. I used the code while in Chapter 4 and she appeared then though :v:

I've played D1-D3, but never to anything close to completion. Too OCD maybe? Either way, I feel I owe it to this game to legitimately make it to the endgame before I start getting my extra characters. It's a good motivation, at the very least. Still, comforting to know she was included at all. I'll be looking forward to it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question regarding Character World. In vanilla D4 on the last stage you could clear all the geo blocks and get a gate to appear leading to a secret master or something else I can't recall.

I just did that and no gate appeared, did that change?

Edit: Bored and looked up a couple videos of Disgaea D2 as I don't own it anymore. Adell has always been my favorite Disgaea protagonist and I just learned about his new voice. What the gently caress were they even thinking with that abomination?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 21, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you do the title screen cheat also you will get overwhelmed with like a dozen DLC characters and feel compelled to use all of them. The good thing is that some of them like Prier and Gig are Monsters so you can just use them as really good magichange guys.

Prier's default ability is to get an extra turn if you kill something with a normal attack. If you make a character dual wield magichange weapons they attack twice with normal attacks and get the default ability of both monsters, so she's pretty great at that.

BTW how do you unlock all the magichange/fusion bonus stuff? Like Mega Magichange.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you do the title screen cheat also you will get overwhelmed with like a dozen DLC characters and feel compelled to use all of them. The good thing is that some of them like Prier and Gig are Monsters so you can just use them as really good magichange guys.

Prier's default ability is to get an extra turn if you kill something with a normal attack. If you make a character dual wield magichange weapons they attack twice with normal attacks and get the default ability of both monsters, so she's pretty great at that.

BTW how do you unlock all the magichange/fusion bonus stuff? Like Mega Magichange.

Weirdly enough, the only DLC character I used in the main game was Plenair, and that was exclusively to throw people around. I mean I guess I tried using Prism Red once, but that was on a hope that he had the damage output to kill a dude in one of the final maps that had like 280 HP left.

He failed.

I did use a ton of Stella and Rutile, but that's different.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question regarding Character World. In vanilla D4 on the last stage you could clear all the geo blocks and get a gate to appear leading to a secret master or something else I can't recall.

It's the second-to-last level you do that on I believe, try that.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Does anyone have a list of what extra map names unlock which characters? Some of them are obvious, like Demon Modification for Mao, but I don't get the reference in a lot of them.

I'd rather just pick and choose some of my favorites instead of doing them all at once.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You can now make the gate appear on any floor of class world. Maybe you cleared an earlier floor and didn't notice the gate? It'll only appear once per run.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Smello posted:

You can now make the gate appear on any floor of class world. Maybe you cleared an earlier floor and didn't notice the gate? It'll only appear once per run.

I did a run myself recently, and I can be certain that I never cleared any stages of geo blocks except the final area, and no gate ever appeared for me. Is it just random chance?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

I did a run myself recently, and I can be certain that I never cleared any stages of geo blocks except the final area, and no gate ever appeared for me. Is it just random chance?

I don't believe so. My best guess is that in making the gate spawn earlier, they also made it not spawn at the end anymore. I've only ever done it on the first floor so far, and it's always spawned there for me.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Erg posted:

Does anyone have a list of what extra map names unlock which characters? Some of them are obvious, like Demon Modification for Mao, but I don't get the reference in a lot of them.

I'd rather just pick and choose some of my favorites instead of doing them all at once.

As best as I can remember these are what goes where

Passionate Interview - Adell
A Lady's Lesson - Rozalin
Demon Modification! - Mao
Power Challenge - Prier
Comrades! - Prism Red + Prism Ranger generic class
Most Badass Mascot! - Pleinair
God of Destruction - Gig
Delinquent Girls - Kyoko & Asuka + female ninja generic class
Heroine of Justice - Nisa
Prognosticator - Pram
Logistic Support - Medic generic class
Your Soul is Mine - Necromancer generic class
Earnest Girl - Marona
Sardine Interview? - Ash
Absolute Victory - Pirohiko

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Seems about right. Also Medics as their second unique generic skill give any of your units another turn which is really good. It was the unique skill of Cheerleaders in D3 Vita. Otherwise I dunno they're more or less a better healer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Having now played through the stories of all 5 main games I can say that in my estimation Judge Nemo is the most effective villain in the series both in terms of doing things and in terms of making me very angry whenever I see or hear him. Screw that guy.

• Locked thread