Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Spiderdrake posted:

Lone Goat spent an entire night trying to figure out if that was/is actually true and I think he dug up like, some scraps on a tumblr that vaguely hinted at its existence?

It also sounds way too specific for the Hasbro suits to come up with.

Set will probably have duals anyway though, just saying.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/95196941793/how-do-you-justify-nonbasic-lands-at-rare-theyre

It's never explicitly called out, and it probably can't be, but good rare duals move packs, guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The interaction of commons and uncommons in a set is as interesting to me as the top tier stuff, if not more. And why limited has been a fantastic revelation to me.

It seems like such a waste to discard cards when they clearly have value in them (entertainment), albeit before unsealing. I don't know, why not do some block cube drafting with just the bulk stuff for practice/fun, once you/your friends amass a big enough pile?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I pass bulk commons and uncommons on to either goons just starting out or to kids at my store.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

Don't the Ally pain-lands have names like Adarkar Wastes that are tied to dominaria?

The Enemy pain-lands' names include Shivan Reef, Llanowar Wastes, and Yavimaya Coast, so even more of them are tied to Dominaria than the Ally pain-lands. I don't know who/what Kolios is but I'm guessing Cave of Kolios is tied to Dominaria too.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The Enemy pain-lands' names include Shivan Reef, Llanowar Wastes, and Yavimaya Coast, so even more of them are tied to Dominaria than the Ally pain-lands. I don't know who/what Kolios is but I'm guessing Cave of Kolios is tied to Dominaria too.

Yep. Urza and Mishra excavated it as archaeologists before the brothers war. Or something like that.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Koilos is where Mishra and Urza first found the relics of the Thran and Phyrexia, kicking off - directly or indirectly - the storylines of Antiquities, Ice Age/Alliances, all the Weatherlight Saga ... a lot of Magic narrative.

But the enemies were reprinted in a core set, and a core set which deliberately dodged all over the planes at that. You get much more licence to screw around there than on Tarkir.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LordSaturn posted:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/95196941793/how-do-you-justify-nonbasic-lands-at-rare-theyre

It's never explicitly called out, and it probably can't be, but good rare duals move packs, guaranteed.

Ugh, rare dual lands have always sucked because they are cards you need but aren't exciting. Nothing like new players opening packs only to hear "ugh, its a land."

Speaking of what sells packs. I am pretty sure full art lands would sell more packs. Its about time those get a reprint or something.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They can put anything in a core set if they want to print it enough and can't fit it into a Block for flavor reasons.

Reprint Crucible of Worlds Wizards!

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 20, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Ugh, rare dual lands have always sucked because they are cards you need but aren't exciting. Nothing like new players opening packs only to hear "ugh, its a land."

Speaking of what sells packs. I am pretty sure full art lands would sell more packs. Its about time those get a reprint or something.

Was there one ZEN full art land in every pack?

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

kizudarake posted:

I pass bulk commons and uncommons on to either goons just starting out or to kids at my store.

Speaking of the man, this guy is the one who sent me goodies.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

i guarantee you noone has ever said 'ugh, a shock'

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A big flaming stink posted:

Only because if they know to call it "a shock" then they already know it's really good.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Did you guys know that Mt. Vernon, IL is 78 miles from Mt. Vernon, IN? Why can't Tarkir, a parallel world to Dominaria, have a Karplusan forest?

Is it impossible that there may be someone on a parallel plane named Elspeth Tirel who runs a fish and chip shop?

Hell, it even has a precedent in fiction. Remember in Hitchhiker's guide where all these different worlds had drinks pronounced like Gin and Tonic? Just give it radically different art and maybe flavor text highlighting the difference.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Your guarantees blow.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Was there one ZEN full art land in every pack?

Yes. And only in boosters, normal style basics in intro decks.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Me every time that was the rare in a draft pack.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Me every time that was the rare in a draft pack.

Only if you were rare redrafting :can:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

JerryLee posted:

I'm pretty happy to see a rare dual in a draft pack if I'm rare-redrafting. It means I can safely pick the best card in the pack, regardless of rarity, and not worry about sending a bomb to the next player.
I hate having to choose between a card that would be good for my draft deck, and a card that would be good for my standard deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

frameset posted:

Man that was a great set.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

JerryLee posted:

Eh, I don't like drafting them. It's not low value like the scrylands are where you can pass it and take a great uncommon easily, it was worth at least half your entry back so I can only think of a few rare occasions they got passed (one guy passed me two in one draft, packs 1 and 3....he still went 0-2 drop with a really lovely deck and was rather pissed off at me for "taking his value away").

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They should open up a section of their store for supplemental stuff. Sell Token and Emblem packs by Set, Planechase Plane/Phenomenon cards in 10 packs, and Land Packs by Set all for decent prices. Specialty dice like the Planar Die or Spindown Life Counters. The Commander's Arsenal Life Counter in a variety of colors.

And then top it all off with Full Art versions of the Land Packs for like $20.

:sigh: It'll never happen but I can dream right? :sigh:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I would no joke pay like $2 for a booster pack filled with random lands from across magic history. Full art un-lands, reprinted Alpha lands with the original border, all of them. Especially if you always had a foil in the pack, some white border foil lands.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

frameset posted:

Regular art Zendikar lands are still the best scumbag basic lands to own to show how great you are.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

AlsoD posted:

Is Necrotic Ooze a deck in modern? If not, why not? It seems like Rites makes it a lot better than when it was in standard, there's a fair amount of redundancy and it wins at instant speed right?

Isn't it like a bit like scapeshift? Usually not too good on turn 4, requires lots of the rest of the deck set up around it, can instantly win the game when cast.

I suppose it's both 1) much less reliable (specific creatures in the GY) and 2) much more vulnerable to removal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jonked posted:

I would no joke pay like $2 for a booster pack filled with random lands from across magic history. Full art un-lands, reprinted Alpha lands with the original border, all of them. Especially if you always had a foil in the pack, some white border foil lands.

That would actually be a pretty cool product, but one only enfranchised long-time players would care about.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Entropic posted:

That would actually be a pretty cool product, but one only enfranchised long-time players would care about.

I think you're underestimating the number of people who like to pimp out their decks, even as very short-term players. I think six or eight months into the game and still playing casually without sleeves, I was already picking the lands I liked best to fill my deck with.

It'd probably still be split between people who care and don't care, but not necessarily along the demographic line you're suggesting.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Speaking of the man, this guy is the one who sent me goodies.

Oh, hey, it was you! Glad to see you liked it!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there a way to make Deckbox show me JUST what I'm missing for a deck? It'd be nice to make a shopping list. I can get a full deck list with 'missing' indicators, but can't seem to find a 'here's what you need' list

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
So, I just got into this game, and I have to say I love playing red/red-black. I went 2-1 at my last FNM. Now I'm just saddened that all these cool RTR cards are rotating out. :(

Also, I just got a Goblin Rabblemaster and is he any good/will he be good when Khans of Tarkir comes out?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Crusaderking posted:

Also, I just got a Goblin Rabblemaster and is he any good/will he be good when Khans of Tarkir comes out?

Most likely he will be quite good. He's already making splashes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Crusaderking posted:

So, I just got into this game, and I have to say I love playing red/red-black. I went 2-1 at my last FNM. Now I'm just saddened that all these cool RTR cards are rotating out. :(

That's the fun no one knows! (probably, he's pretty good)

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That's the fun no one knows! (probably, he's pretty good)

Cool! I like the idea of playing with Goblins so hopefully I will be able to do that and still compete.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/502264543859331072

So, uh: M15 lead developer and former Magic R&D member Billy Moreno is in Ferguson and just got arrested. Interestingly, looks like WOTC is calling attention to this.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zorak posted:

So, uh: M15 lead developer and former Magic R&D member Billy Moreno is in Ferguson and just got arrested. Interestingly, looks like WOTC is calling attention to this.

Props to Wizards then. I mean, I'm assuming the intent of tweeting it is to show that they stand behind him. I don't think Aaron Forsythe tweets about a former employee just to humiliate him.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Zorak posted:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I just want my Urza block Plains back, is that so much to ask? :(
That's something I've always wondered though: What's everyone's favorite block for each basic land type?

Plains: Urza block
Island: RTR block
Swamp: Lorwyn block
Mountain: Tempest block
Forest: Onslaught block

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I can always use more Theros Penislands.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I love me some Rob Alexander lands. Does he still do work for Magic?

And Avon's Onslaught forests are particularly spellbinding.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

I can always use more Theros Penislands.

And snow swamp penis in vagina

Really disappointed there isn't a penis mountain yet come on wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I love Kamigawa's mountains. They're so cold and foreboding.

Wizards has never really done the Red Cold theme right since then.

• Locked thread