Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Holy poo poo, you wrote Gillen, Emily in the Horror Recognition Guide, didn't you? My favorite piece of my favorite RPG anything.

please say there will be a HRG2

Yup. Emily was one of mine, in both the corebook and the HRG. I don't think that we've got plans for a second HRG, but I really hope we get to do one. We just need someone like Chuck Wendig to take the reins again.

LatwPIAT posted:

Oh, that explains a few things. This is mildly embarrassing. Though I haven't really played either Werewolf game, and in general I don't remember who wrote any of the RPG sourcebooks I've read. I also checked up on the GMC Integrity rules, and they're a lot clearer on their sanity-gnawing intent than I remembered them, so my bad there. Sorry for the inconvenience.

No worries. I sometimes forget that not everyone already knows the link between forum name and real name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Didn't you used to mod the Apocalypse forum, back when the white-wolf.com forums were on that old forum software Conrad Hubbard wrote? Or was Skemp doing that?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
I'm just starting out a Geist game in the Game Room. I really dig the concept and none of us are going to take it too seriously so it should turn out ok, but everyone in this thread has said that it's horribly unbalanced and broken. Any tips on homeruling the worst of it out?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Tirade posted:

I'm just starting out a Geist game in the Game Room. I really dig the concept and none of us are going to take it too seriously so it should turn out ok, but everyone in this thread has said that it's horribly unbalanced and broken. Any tips on homeruling the worst of it out?

It's not so much homeruling as it is needing to put in a lot of ST work. It's not nearly as easy to 'plug and play' as, say, Vampire is due to a whole host of reasons.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tirade posted:

On these forums or somewhere else? I just began a read through og geist and totally want a chance to play.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Soonmot posted:

On these forums or somewhere else? I just began a read through og geist and totally want a chance to play.

They're on these forums but we're full up, sorry dude.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I kinda want to run a WoD -something- while waiting for the MtA chronicles (second edition?) but I've been on a Dungeon World kick lately and honestly, WoD combat feels so clunky after playing any game PbtA.

How do you guys handle combat in your WoD games? Maybe I'm just missinformed (haven't play WoD in a while) but looong and boring turns are not my cup of tea.

(My last game was a Werewolf game where a single fight scene took 3 hours of "I hit him" "You miss, he hits you" "I hit him")

edit: wtf, where's my baby avatar? :(

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

How do you guys handle combat in your WoD games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPF0da-yFEo

Don't be afraid to say something like, "Okay, this guy gives up, you've hurt him too drat much." Or go with the Down And Dirty rules from GMC. I had a PBP combat end in like two posts because the player used pepper spray on the dude and I figured that was good enough.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Lowtax realised you are a big idiot, and that you make bad posts.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I kinda want to run a WoD -something- while waiting for the MtA chronicles (second edition?) but I've been on a Dungeon World kick lately and honestly, WoD combat feels so clunky after playing any game PbtA.

How do you guys handle combat in your WoD games? Maybe I'm just missinformed (haven't play WoD in a while) but looong and boring turns are not my cup of tea.

(My last game was a Werewolf game where a single fight scene took 3 hours of "I hit him" "You miss, he hits you" "I hit him")

Assuming the combatants have any skill, using Storyteller 2nd Ed (GMC) will massively speed up your combat, what with weapons doing automatic damage. Also, using the Intentions system and treating NPCs like real humans who are in combat because they want something will speed things up because odds are they're not fighting to the death. Surrendering should be a thing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Automatic damage is great for making weapons scary. Unknown Armies justified knives always doing at least a little damage as follows:

Greg Stolze most likely posted:

Any hand to hand attack with a penetrating weapon does a minimum of 1 wound point damage even if you miss. This does not apply to thrown weapons, only weapons used directly in close-quarters combat.

Why is this? Knives cut. Imagine you are wearing a white suit with white gloves, and you are facing an angry child waving a black magic marker. Imagine trying to take the marker away from the child, or grabbing the child, or doing anything to the child except running away from it. You're going to be covered in black marks in a matter of seconds. That's why. Knives cut.

Of course, UA's probably got the most quotable combat chapter ever.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Automatic damage is great for making weapons scary. Unknown Armies justified knives always doing at least a little damage as follows:

Of course, UA's probably got the most quotable combat chapter ever.

UA's combat chapter should probably be subtitled: "Are you sure you want to play this game?". And that right there is both the blessing, and the curse, of the brilliance that is Unknown Armies. For the record, I kind of admit that I appreciate that average people are just a little more durable in WoD, because being able to beat people up but have them live again to fight another day is better than the siege mentality that comes with a Really loving Lethal combat system.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

kaynorr posted:

UA's combat chapter should probably be subtitled: "Are you sure you want to play this game?". And that right there is both the blessing, and the curse, of the brilliance that is Unknown Armies. For the record, I kind of admit that I appreciate that average people are just a little more durable in WoD, because being able to beat people up but have them live again to fight another day is better than the siege mentality that comes with a Really loving Lethal combat system.

As long as you stick to fists, UA's absolutely a game where you can get in a fight and everybody can walk or limp away. It's really the instant weapons come into play that UA goes all Call of Cthulhu-level brutal.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pope Guilty posted:

As long as you stick to fists, UA's absolutely a game where you can get in a fight and everybody can walk or limp away. It's really the instant weapons come into play that UA goes all Call of Cthulhu-level brutal.

Which is part of why ua is cool (if not especially my cup of tea)

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Some interesting stuff about new Changeling from the Onyx Path forums.

David Hill posted:

We're sort of reversing the roles of Kiths and Seemings. When making a character, you pick a Kith, then you refine it with a Seeming. So, for example, if you're playing a Draconic, you're Draconic first. Then, you look at the Seemings. You might be a Draconic Fairest, a Draconic Ogre, a Draconic Elemental, a Draconic Darkling, or a Draconic Beast... each with its own slight stylistic difference. We're talking the difference between a majestic gold dragon, and a creepy black dragon.

1) We will have a lot of Kiths. Not necessarily as many as all the 1e books combined, but that's a function of this model. Some old Kiths are kind of like facets of the same Kith now.

2) Kiths will get a lot of space. They each will actually only need a small amount of wordcount. Basically a few sentence description, a short paragraph advantage, and a little section describing the six variants.

3) In this model, Seemings will let you flavor your affinity for Contracts. Some Seemings will favor certain Contracts. Some will be unable to learn other Contracts.

4) This also lets us use Kiths as a method of minor, often implied social organization.

5) This means you can have a Motley full of a single Kith, each with a different aspect.

6) This frontloads some of the choice. We're okay with that though, since a) this is part of building the mythology of your Durance (a new foundation of focus), and b) in our experience, choosing Kiths tends to be a big part of character creation anyway.

7) We can balance out Kith advantages by making all of them a little more robust, since they're front-facing advantages. Kith advantages won't be "you get 9-again on a dice pool you'll never roll". Yawn. They'll be "you can do something that adds drama to the story."

8) In play, most of us found that players were more interested than their Kiths than their Seemings. I really like the idea of letting Seeming flavor your Kith, not the other way around.

quote:

Kith is what happened to you. Seeming is your agency. It represents the moment you took control away from your victimizer.

Lost is a game about survivors. Seeming is one of a few ways we really emphasize the characters' agency and human spirit.

A bunch of people have brought up that this obviously leaves Elementals and Beasts in a weird place, conceptually.

While I'm still kind of on the fence personally, it sounds interesting and I'll probably warm-up to it once more info comes out.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
There's nothing particularly good- or ill-boding about that information, I think. The devil's going to be in the details. Though I will say that when I play Changeling I definitely think of my guy more as an Antiquarian than a Darkling, for example.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

It is very different, especially for the really weak kiths for Elementals and Beasts that were doing most of the conceptual heavy lifting on the seeming side.

However I totally see the motivation, p much every player moves heaven and earth to dual kith or cross kith in order to better express their special snowflakism, and frontloading the kith ability isn't a wrong urge.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Thinking on it, I think the main reason this would shake up Beasts and Elementals is because while the other seemings are about what you did, Beasts/Elementals are about what you were. So while its easy to draw lines from Seeming to agency/method of escape with the others (Fairest manipulate, Darklings sneak, Ogres smash, Wizened plan) its hard to nail down a singular concept to define how a Beast or Elemental would escape or assert their agency.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Yeah, the only real core concept change in there I can see is that certain seemings are now going to be banned from buying certain Contracts, which I don't think was true in 1E and honestly sounds like a needlessly restrictive change (pending more information). All that other stuff, in its current public state, looks like slight reorganization/window dressing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I certainly like the idea of decoupling Kith from Seeming. Could a Draconic Beast take down a draconic Beast? Only time will tell.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
At a guess, beasts would be those that ran. Just bolted one day and kept on going. Elementals I am not sure.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seemings were already so very much tied to the sort of abuse/trauma that one suffered in Arcadia that I'm curious how they could accommodate for that with the Kiths. It's definitely a reversal: Kith is something played with a lot more with Dual Kith and the rules for "developing" your Kith as more being the thing you have control over, while Seeming was more the wound you bore. With the wound being so tied to the mythological face, I'm kind of curious how that theme is gonna look in the final draft, or if it'll default to being rather non-specific when it comes to how the form of Durance interacts with your Kith. Alternatively, it could end up super-specific but the description of how the Kiths are laid out doesn't seem to indicate such.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

quote:

Kith is what happened to you. Seeming is your agency. It represents the moment you took control away from your victimizer.

Lost is a game about survivors. Seeming is one of a few ways we really emphasize the characters' agency and human spirit.

My first impression is that this seems kind of wrong-headed. I don't like the idea that part of your fairy magic embodies your human spirit, since the entire point is that everything magical about you was put there by force. Nobody wants to be a manimal, they get kidnapped and literally turned into a loving dog, and only manage to claw back a bare semblance of their human self when they run away.

I like the idea of putting something in there to represent agency and seizing back control, but just slapping it onto the seemings seems like a really bad fit.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tulul posted:

My first impression is that this seems kind of wrong-headed. I don't like the idea that part of your fairy magic embodies your human spirit, since the entire point is that everything magical about you was put there by force. Nobody wants to be a manimal, they get kidnapped and literally turned into a loving dog, and only manage to claw back a bare semblance of their human self when they run away.

I like the idea of putting something in there to represent agency and seizing back control, but just slapping it onto the seemings seems like a really bad fit.

The Courts were supposed to be about that human agency, so I dunno if that's changed or not.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Benagain posted:

At a guess, beasts would be those that ran. Just bolted one day and kept on going. Elementals I am not sure.

I could see, say, an Elemental deciding the only way to escape the proverbial briar patch being to throw himself further into it, and come out the other side. Immerse yourself in the primal, elemental essence of it all and try to wrest enough control from it to break free.

Some draconic elemental giving over to the spark of dragon-fire his captor has been stoking in his gut to melt his chains, a smith elemental stuck in the clouds forging thunderbolts for a deific menace realizing the only home is to ride the lightning. That sort of thing.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 20, 2014

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

The Courts were supposed to be about that human agency, so I dunno if that's changed or not.

Specifically there are two points where human will is part of the changeling evolution: your escape from Arcadia (your trod being laid by some emotional anchor in the real world) and the Court/Court-less life you live once you have escaped.

The more I think about this, the more I'm worried that the game will lose the metaphorical omph of Seemings when they fully detach them from Kiths, resulting in a Kith-central experience where the Seeming becomes the Contracts-I-Was-Going-To-Take-Anyway. Because while motivated players will move heaven-and-earth in order to get their preferred Special Snowflake dual kith / cross kith, at least the structure exists in real, impactful relation to the players.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
Really liking how 2E nWoD games aren't just a freshen up of the rules. Vampire added a lot of cool new mechanics and it looks like Werewolf is gonna have some stellar revisions.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

To be honest, same in new Storyteller. All weapons do lethal, probably at least one point of automatic. That single success combat roll went from 1 bashing to 2 lethal and four of those will kill your average person. As the book says: If you don't want to kill someone, don't hit them in the head with a piece of wood.

Baby Broomer posted:

Really liking how 2E nWoD games aren't just a freshen up of the rules. Vampire added a lot of cool new mechanics and it looks like Werewolf is gonna have some stellar revisions.

Yeah, I've been thoroughly impressed by God-Machine, Strix and the previews of Idigam and Fallen World. It's refreshing to see a dev team take a good hard look at their game and decide what sweeping changes need to be made to improve it, rather than nickel-and-diming it here and there, fixing obvious problems and making new ones as they go. Like D&D 5th, or any of the Call of Cthulhus. It's something Ferrinus said in the Exalted thread that probably the most damning accusation about Storyteller 2 is that Athletics/Brawl/Weaponry adding straight to Defense is a bit janky and sort of mandatory to take. And that's it. Not like "oh yeah, don't play a Daeva, they're loving worthless" or "it's not worth taking Cruac, the mechanics will make you want to kill yourself" or "ignore all of the Nosferatu fluff if you don't want to feel dirty." Case in point: Majesty can straight up be used to rape people without a problem. Is this ever mentioned in the book like a certain Exalted charm? Nooooope because gently caress that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Let us not forget the part of Demon open development where a sidebar was removed because the developers decided they didn't want to be writing the sort of game that featured laser-guided angelic baby murderers.

I'm pretty sure that was a good decision.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mors Rattus posted:

laser-guided angelic baby murderers.

Wait, they stole my character concept? !

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Gilok posted:

Wait, they stole my character concept? !

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Apropos of a conversation from like a page ago, I think my favorite example of what a define-your-own-skill-list can do is when me and Rand Brittain figured that you could represent Dave Strider from Homestuck in Chuubo with Coolkid 3, Cool 1, Superior Knight of Time 3, Hold On To Things Past Their Time 1, because literally everything he does over the course of the comic falls under "Being a coolkid," "Being the Knight of Time," or "Holding on to things past their time."

I think the chief advantage of fixed skill lists is to make it more difficult to create characters that are innately comedic, because once you say "Anything can be a skill," you're going to get a nigh-infinite number of skills inspired by "Haha, wouldn't it be funny if X were a skill?" Just look at the wide variety of struggle skills in Unknown Armies characters.

EDIT: I should revise that. The chief advantage of fixed skill lists is to enhance a given tone. They can just as easily be tweaked to support innate humor as discourage it.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 21, 2014

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pope Guilty posted:

Of course, UA's probably got the most quotable combat chapter game ever.

Fixed!

UA is the best game you will never play.

Thanks for the suggestions for combat, I guess the real "fix" is "Use the GMC rules and avoid unnecessary combat" which are things I was planning to do anyway.

Now, for introducing people to WoD (two of them complete newbies to rpgs, one of them prett clueless about gaming in general and with a small language barrier) which one would be better, Vampire, Demon or Hunter?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Stephenls posted:

I think the chief advantage of fixed skill lists is to make it more difficult to create characters that are innately comedic, because once you say "Anything can be a skill," you're going to get a nigh-infinite number of skills inspired by "Haha, wouldn't it be funny if X were a skill?" Just look at the wide variety of struggle skills in Unknown Armies characters.

I knew a guy who decided his Vampire character was as powerful as he needed to be, so he started buying up Crafts and Performance skills. Maxxing out Performance: Dance Dance Revolution was one of the better expressions of contempt for a game system I've seen.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Tulul posted:

It kind of seems to be flat out reversing the meaning of seemings from 1E. In the 1E stuff, your seeming was sort of...the form of your abuse. Beasts were turned into animals. Elementals were literally objectified. Ogres were physically attacked, Wizened were worked to the bone, etc.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Stephenls posted:

Call of Cthulhu loves to do that as well, or at least they did- I haven't bought any of the newer books.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Now, for introducing people to WoD (two of them complete newbies to rpgs, one of them prett clueless about gaming in general and with a small language barrier) which one would be better, Vampire, Demon or Hunter?

Hunter has the advantage of being exactly what you expect out of a game about hunting monsters hidden in the midst of society; Vampire has the advantage of being basically a distillation of a cultural memeplex (bluh bluh memes suck, I know, I know) that everyone (except your one player with a language barrier, maybe) is pretty familiar with at this point. Vampire also has the advantage of Blood & Smoke (soon to be retitled Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition Featuring the Strix Chronicle) being a self-contained book with a full ruleset that you can just hand to people -- you would't have to cross-reference anything.

Autism Satan Robot Simulator is neat but very much its own thing.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
With those 3 options and those 3 players I would say Hunter is your best option. Comes with the added bonus of you not having to explain the intricacies of any ancient societies unless you want to.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Unless your players loving love The Matrix, in which case play Demon.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Fixed!

UA is the best game you will never play.

Thanks for the suggestions for combat, I guess the real "fix" is "Use the GMC rules and avoid unnecessary combat" which are things I was planning to do anyway.

Watch the first episode of Supernatural and Interview with a Vampire as a group. Ask them which one was more awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

dragon_pamcake posted:

Watch the first episode of Supernatural and Interview with a Vampire as a group. Ask them which one was more awesome

It's goddamned unbelievable how good Tom Cruise is in Interview. I would never have guessed he had it in him.

• Locked thread