Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Nocheez posted:

I wish people would change the way they look at public transportation in this country.

To quote Homer Simpson: public transportation is for losers.

Edit:

VVV Yeah, I remember that one, too:

Marge posted:

Well, I was sure you'd be on foot because you always say public transportation is for losers.

I guess jerks and lesbians are losers?

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

MickeyFinn posted:

To quote Homer Simpson: public transportation is for losers.

Jerks and lesbians, actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-iWBCL12Qg

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
When I visited Los Angeles several people told me that public transportation is "only for poors and people with DUIs". Keep being bad with money by watching your tax dollars being spent on congested freeways as you spend 2 hours sitting in traffic to get to your home 5 miles away, I guess.

I like Enrique Penalosa's quote (paraphrased, apparently): "A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transport."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I like cars and love driving, but I hate traffic and commuting. I'm quite not-poor, own a nice (paid off) car, but I still commute via bus. gently caress driving in and out of downtown and sitting in traffic and gridlock and paying out the rear end for parking. My bus commute is faster and less stressful, and keeps my nice car nice with way less terrible city driving wear and tear.

I'm amazed that people I work with put up with that poo poo so that they can think they're above the "poors" that ride the bus.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

I like cars and love driving, but I hate traffic and commuting. I'm quite not-poor, own a nice (paid off) car, but I still commute via bus. gently caress driving in and out of downtown and sitting in traffic and gridlock and paying out the rear end for parking. My bus commute is faster and less stressful, and keeps my nice car nice with way less terrible city driving wear and tear.

I'm amazed that people I work with put up with that poo poo so that they can think they're above the "poors" that ride the bus.

Agree with the stupidness of looking down on public transit. It's a bad problem with America culture wise.

Personally though, I find that unless you live where it's an easy commute, there are too many times that public transit can become a hassle. Extra stops, long walks, etc. plus with my job I would always have the risk of getting stuck with a customer and missing a bus, having to run to a different store to pick up equipment, etc.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the solution is to live in NYC to, uhh, save money

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Dillbag posted:

When I visited Los Angeles several people told me that public transportation is "only for poors and people with DUIs". Keep being bad with money by watching your tax dollars being spent on congested freeways as you spend 2 hours sitting in traffic to get to your home 5 miles away, I guess.

To be fair, LA's public transportation is infamous. If I could afford it, I would avoid spending two hours stuck in traffic and trying to ignore the stench of urine.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 21, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

at the date posted:

To be fair, LA's public transportation is infamous. If I could afford it, I would avoid spending two hours stuck in traffic and trying to ignore the stench of urine.

LA's rail is pretty nice and they are actively improving it and building out a new line. I don't think the bus system deserves the bad rap it's got either but it has similar problems to any other bus system.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Speaking of LA, one of my college friends moved there last year from NY. He and his girlfriend got a really nice one bedroom house right on the hills overlooking Dodger Stadium. A year later they broke up when he found out that she was cheating on him with a celebrity. So he kicked her out, but instead of moving out himself, he decided to keep living there and just pay the $1650/mo rent by himself.

Keep in mind that this guy is no Slow Motion. He is an aspiring actor. As in, he doesn't have a full-time job. He goes from one temp gig to another, doing various odd jobs six, sometimes seven days a week. He confided in me that he has to borrow money from relatives often to make ends meet (none of whom are wealthy themselves), and every now and then he has to AirBnB his place and crash at his neighbors' couch. I told him multiple times that he needs to move out and find a place that's as cheap as possible, but he keeps saying that the house is so amazing he just wants to hang on to it (pretty sure it's so that he can bang chicks more easily).

Fortunately, he kinda sorta came to his senses about a month ago and realized he may need to give up on his acting aspirations and get a full-time office job somewhere and build a career like most other people. It remains to be seen however whether he will stick to it. Either way, he's 31 years old, has zero savings and probably some CC debt. He does know a ton of people though, so maybe that will help.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

enraged_camel posted:

Speaking of LA, one of my college friends moved there last year from NY. He and his girlfriend got a really nice one bedroom house right on the hills overlooking Dodger Stadium. A year later they broke up when he found out that she was cheating on him with a celebrity. So he kicked her out, but instead of moving out himself, he decided to keep living there and just pay the $1650/mo rent by himself.

Keep in mind that this guy is no Slow Motion. He is an aspiring actor. As in, he doesn't have a full-time job. He goes from one temp gig to another, doing various odd jobs six, sometimes seven days a week. He confided in me that he has to borrow money from relatives often to make ends meet (none of whom are wealthy themselves), and every now and then he has to AirBnB his place and crash at his neighbors' couch. I told him multiple times that he needs to move out and find a place that's as cheap as possible, but he keeps saying that the house is so amazing he just wants to hang on to it (pretty sure it's so that he can bang chicks more easily).

Fortunately, he kinda sorta came to his senses about a month ago and realized he may need to give up on his acting aspirations and get a full-time office job somewhere and build a career like most other people. It remains to be seen however whether he will stick to it. Either way, he's 31 years old, has zero savings and probably some CC debt. He does know a ton of people though, so maybe that will help.

yeah yeah great stuff, which celebrity?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

No idea, he wasn't very forthcoming about it.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Duckman2008 posted:

Personally though, I find that unless you live where it's an easy commute, there are too many times that public transit can become a hassle. Extra stops, long walks, etc. plus with my job I would always have the risk of getting stuck with a customer and missing a bus, having to run to a different store to pick up equipment, etc.

I use public transport now to get to work, but (unless I get this job I interviewed for today) will have to stop next month.

Currently it's a 10 minute drive to the park and ride, 12 minutes to get downtown via bus, followed by 35-40 minutes on the train to get to a workplace that's a less than 5 minute walk from the station. Cost for pass: $140 a month. Leave house at 7:10, to work by 8:30, home at about 6:30 most nights.

Starting near the end of next month, work moves 5 miles further south. Meaning using public transport would require a 10 minute drive to the park and ride, 12-15 minutes on the bus, 40 minutes on the train, and either waiting for a shuttle to get me to work or walking for 20-30 minutes. Oh, and the cost goes up to $176 a month. I'd have to catch earlier buses and trains too, so I'd be out the door at 6:30 and not home until nearly 7PM.

Moving isn't an option until next September. Work covers NONE of it. And my partner works 15 miles in the opposite direction, though he's looking for something closer too.

So, screw it. I give up. I want my car. I want my music. I want my freedom. And since the car is a paid off 2005 Civic coupe, gas for it would be about the same as the bloody pass anyway. I'm getting a 10 ride ticketbook for really nasty weather days and giving up on the public transit system.

Speaking of dumb with money (and sorry to bring back car chat), my partner seems to be prepping for a midlife crisis vehicle. He told me today that IF he gets the job he's applying for he wants a custom MINI Cooper. That would run about 35-40k. With payments of 2-something a month for 5 years, followed by a balloon payment of 5k (which doesn't equal 40k, but his words, not mine). I told him it's a terrible idea for a lovely car and I'd be PISSED if he did it. Especially since we used MY bonus in March to pay off HIS 2008 Saturn Aura, in return for him paying $100 more a month of the rent (which he has done, making our portions equal) and taking over his $20 a month gym membership that I cover (hasn't happened. Not expecting it at this point, but don't feel like pushing the issue either).

The Aura sucks. I've driven it. If it was my daily driver, I'd be looking to ditch it too. If he gets this job and really wants to get a new car, that's fine. But not a custom MINI with a balloon payment at the end.

He also signed up for a $60 a month massage club membership. The place he used to go to moved, so he went to the place that took it over, and somehow got suckered in to this massage club. He showed it to me, I told him it seemed like a waste of money. His justification was not wanting to drive to where his old massage
people moved. ONE mile further away.

I love the man, but there's a reason I don't do a joint checking with him. Not that I'm in great shape either, I'm still paycheck to
paycheck, but I'm trying to get better.

Sorry. Mega argument today. Venting. Forgive me.

blackmet fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 21, 2014

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Magic Underwear posted:

yeah yeah great stuff, which celebrity?

That chick that played Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

enraged_camel posted:

No idea, he wasn't very forthcoming about it.

If your ex was boning Garey Busey, I don't think you'd want to speak up about that either.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I figured it was just stdh.txt. "Well she was cheating on me, but it wasn't just anyone, it was a celebrity! so I'm obviously a swell guy.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

enraged_camel posted:

$1650 isn't bad for LA. Of course if you don't have $1650 then that doesn't really matter.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I'm guessing it was some D list celebrity

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Weatherman posted:

I figured it was just stdh.txt. "Well she was cheating on me, but it wasn't just anyone, it was a celebrity! so I'm obviously a swell guy.

It was Gene Simmons.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

blackmet posted:

He told me today that IF he gets the job he's applying for he wants a custom MINI Cooper. That would run about 35-40k. With payments of 2-something a month for 5 years, followed by a balloon payment of 5k (which doesn't equal 40k, but his words, not mine).

Two years and a balloon payment? Sounds like a lease!

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

FrozenVent posted:

Two years and a balloon payment? Sounds like a lease!

I wish. I can sort of understand a lease for some people, but life is too unpredictable for mileage limits IMHO.

The way he made it sound was more like "you buy this car, make x number of payments at x amount for 5 years, then pay a ballon payment to finish paying for it after 5 years. Or you can finance the balloon payment!"

It just sounds like some kind of subprime mortgage level scam for cars. Crappy, unreliable, ugly European cars.

Prior to this, he was looking at Camaros. I'm starting to wonder if this idea is a ploy to make me more amenable to the Camaro. If so, it's working.

blackmet fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 21, 2014

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Nocheez posted:

I wish people would change the way they look at public transportation in this country.

It ain't any better here in Canada.

We were joking on the weekend about my uncle who is from a small town and has a funny accent. He was quoted to have said "I always feel bad when I see some poor bastard waiting to ride the buzz". That's how be pronounces "bus".

Anyway, I laughed of course because that's loving hilarious, especially if you know the guy. But then I got to thinking about how poor his two-car family really is. They don't have a pot to piss in financially. He's looking down on that guy who takes the bus because he apparently can't afford a car, but sadly, my uncle's family really can't either. They buy contraband cigarettes because they can't afford the legal ones.

The guy taking the bus could be financially independent, who knows.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

RandomBlue posted:

$1650 isn't bad for LA. Of course if you don't have $1650 then that doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I thought this too. And then I remembered that LA has the worst rental market in the United States (pdf), so trying to pay $1650/month as a semi-working actor might seems weird to people from other places.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I make a lot more money than all my friends, and I ride the bus to work every drat day. I live a couple miles outside of downtown, where I work, so I've got a 5 minute walk to the bus stop, a 10 minute bus ride, and a 5 minute walk to my office. Plus, my pass is $44 per month with pre-tax bucks. Parking a car at my building costs $130 per month.

My friends say they don't ride the bus because they "aren't poor." My friends are dumbasses.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Your friends don't ride the bus because they aren't poor. You aren't poor because you ride the bus.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I rode the bus for a year and a half in San Jose. I had way too many homeless crack heads that hadn't showered for weeks/months sitting down next to me to rant/beg, and now take the stance that if its at all possible, you should spend the money to avoid the bus/train.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Day Man posted:

I rode the bus for a year and a half in San Jose. I had way too many homeless crack heads that hadn't showered for weeks/months sitting down next to me to rant/beg, and now take the stance that if its at all possible, you should spend the money to avoid the bus/train.
Depends on the city.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have the worst of it.

I live in NYC, but I work in the suburbs so I need a car to get to work :negative:

I really need to get the gently caress out of here.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Renegret posted:

I have the worst of it.

I live in NYC, but I work in the suburbs so I need a car to get to work :negative:

I really need to get the gently caress out of here.

I already want to kill someone when I drive into the city in Chicago on the weekend. I can't imagine driving home from a lengthy commute and then having to park in Manhattan (assuming you're in Manhattan and don't have a garage spot).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Nail Rat posted:

I already want to kill someone when I drive into the city in Chicago on the weekend. I can't imagine driving home from a lengthy commute and then having to park in Manhattan (assuming you're in Manhattan and don't have a garage spot).

Nah, I'm in queens and street parking isn't too bad where I live.

I used to work 3rd shift though. Nothing I want more after working a 10 hour day than to jump balls deep into rush hour traffic going into the city. Now that I have a normal schedule, I get to avoid a little of it by having a reverse commute. It still sticks though.

Still, it just took me 45 minutes to drive three miles because of road construction. I should've just walked.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Renegret posted:

Nah, I'm in queens and street parking isn't too bad where I live.

I used to work 3rd shift though. Nothing I want more after working a 10 hour day than to jump balls deep into rush hour traffic going into the city. Now that I have a normal schedule, I get to avoid a little of it by having a reverse commute. It still sticks though.

Still, it just took me 45 minutes to drive three miles because of road construction. I should've just walked.

But think how much you saved on shoes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

VideoTapir posted:

But think how much you saved on shoes.

What are you talking about, how am I supposed to be respected without always wearing the newest Jordans?

A coworker once told me that his best friend has so many Jordans, if he sold them all he could put his daughter through college. And they're just sitting there, boxed up, in his closet. He actually pulled him to the side one day and told him that he's leaving his shoes to him in his will under the expectation that my coworker will sell the shoes and return the money to his family in order to put his daughter through school. The fear is that his wife has no idea how much they're actually worth so she'll get ripped off.

The reason his wife has no idea how much they're worth, of course, is because he won't tell her because she'll probably loving murder him in his sleep for wasting so much money.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

One of my bosses does this too. He's got closets of them in boxes, brand new. He even goes to midnight releases, I guess there are more people who do this than I thought. I couldn't believe enough people cared about that poo poo to that a store would even open at midnight. All for a pair of shoes that your never gonna wear.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Michael Jordan made $100 million last year off royalties from Jordan brand shoes. What the gently caress

Folly
May 26, 2010

Renegret posted:

He actually pulled him to the side one day and told him that he's leaving his shoes to him in his will under the expectation that my coworker will sell the shoes and return the money to his family in order to put his daughter through school. The fear is that his wife has no idea how much they're actually worth so she'll get ripped off.

Gah! The proper instrument for this is a trust with the coworker as trustee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Michael Jordan made $100 million last year off royalties from Jordan brand shoes. What the gently caress

This is supposed to be stories about people who are bad with money.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Idar Vollvik former owner of norwegian phone company Chess, sold this company for a profit of about USD 180 mill in 2005. The next years he became one of the biggest daytraders in Norway (In volume) and ha an accumulated net loss of about USD 200 mill in the period 2005-2008. I'm not sure I would have survived that myself.

DeathOfRats
Dec 23, 2004
SQUEAK
My roommate stopped paying his half of the rent and I didn't notice for a year.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

DeathOfRats posted:

My roommate stopped paying his half of the rent and I didn't notice for a year.

...how do you not notice that?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I had a similar situation. Thankfully, our lease held us separately liable, so all our landlady could do was go after the one girl. I didn't even know until the day before I moved out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathOfRats
Dec 23, 2004
SQUEAK
I pay the whole rent to the landlord when it is due and he pays me his part when he gets paid. We use the same bank so he does direct deposit. He's always been inconsistent about when he does it so I just figured he was keeping on top of it. He was not.

My own money management has been non-existent until recently. I used to just keep $4500 in my checking account and move any more than that into savings once in a while. I think I'm doing better since I started reading BFC but if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have checked my money or noticed that he wasn't paying his half.

• Locked thread