Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Neo Duckberg posted:

Nobody is here because nothing is going to happen anymore.

Just a few days ago I was refreshing this thread, live streams, and twitter feeds to stay on top of events and get a good all-source picture of what was going on.

Now we have retards yelling for ten pages about a cell phone video and shooting people in Finland.

I think the protest has died down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Cheekio posted:

I like how everyone just accepting the vernacular 'charge', because that's ever used when not talking about an animal.

No one is accepting it nor does anyone believe it. For reference, look at the pictures and the posts in this thread.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

Think the biggest problem with North American policing at the moment is not really how officers handle individual cases but rather a macro level issue in how policing is carried out in the community. Patrol based policing and its derivatives such as the predictive model where areas are assigned priority through stats have created walls between departments and their communities. Patrol cars driving around troubled neighbourhoods with tinted windows and more and more gradually militarized styles and uniforms have separated the culture of officers from those they are supposed to protect. I'm an advocate of community oriented policing involving far more interaction with ordinary folks, youth and community services coupled with a much bigger emphasis on foot patrols.

This can be supplemented with other efforts as well. Studies have shown that projects like cleaning areas and getting the community involved in fixing things like broken windows to make a neighbourhood more presentable reduces loitering and crime. I think the goal should be having officers more engaged with the public and not streamlined into efficiency to the point where they seem less human when they don the uniform. This isn't anywhere near a perfect summation of ideas or a fix-all solution but I think some of this along with patrol methods which are effective could go a long way.

This sounds right but the police force in my town was/is terrible (Saskatoon, Canada) and they still walked beats and have bike cops bug me about not having a bell on my bike. Didn't stop them from murdering minorities not too long ago.

That said, I think the city and the last couple of policy chiefs in town have tried to do a lot of work to mend fences so to speak, so maybe Canada still has hope compared to American police forces.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Stultus Maximus posted:

Just a few days ago I was refreshing this thread, live streams, and twitter feeds to stay on top of events and get a good all-source picture of what was going on.

Now we have retards yelling for ten pages about a cell phone video and shooting people in Finland.

I think the protest has died down.

The pigs have won tonight, they can all sleep soundly. And everything is alright.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MariusLecter posted:

The pigs have won tonight, they can all sleep soundly. And everything is alright.

I don't feel better. :mad:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah, even better that he was removed immediately by a police supervisor who pushed him away.
Well not immediately...
This guy has been a recurring character on these videos. This was probably the 3rd or 4th time someone on camera caught him doing this.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 21, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wadjamaloo posted:

Well not immediately...
This guy has been a recurring character on these videos. People have been calling him officer "go gently caress yourself" because thats what he said when someone asked his name a few nights ago. This was probably the 3rd or 4th time someone on camera caught him doing this.
I wonder if he was going home at night thinking he was doing the right thing?

Honestly, I wonder what a lot of police in this story go home at night thinking. Maybe I am taking the fact that I have a job where I can look at myself in the mirror when I go home for granted.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Neo Duckberg posted:

If this is true it breaks my heart.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Neo Duckberg posted:

Wait, what happened? I've been ferrying family around town all day, so I haven't caught up on today's events. Why is nothing going to happen anymore?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

YeahWhatevah posted:

Or, Ghasp! Taser the piece of human chaff (:sarcasm: - seriously, why don't we have a sarcasm emote??)

In short, Thank you. :tipshat:

Full disclosure: I worked in a 24hr pharmacy in AZ and *ALWAYS HATED* calling the cops when I absolutely had to (though it was quite often.) They could be such incredible DICKS. It sticks with me even though I was always on the "good" side, and I'm long past that unpleasant time...

The St. Louis police don't have tasers.
Can I repeat this enough, those cops did not have tasers.

Bob Morales posted:

If you have a gun or a knife and don't put it down when the cops tell you, they are going to shoot the gently caress out of you. Everyone in America knows that.
Are you crazy? I don't mean you, I mean the person getting shot. Are they crazy? Do they know that?

Seriously, though. If you have a weapon that you are waving around, you shouldn't just be shot after someone tells you to drop it a few times. You should only be shot if you try and use it. Otherwise, the people trained to protect and serve should try and save you, just like they would anyone else.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 21, 2014

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

Shady Amish Terror posted:

In most areas you would probably need to basically disassemble the entire culture surrounding the police, from how they're trained to how much they cost to how they procure equipment to how they're assigned. I'm not saying you're not right, I think you may have the gist of a proposal here, but it's a daunting task when it requires opposing, in essence, the crux of how many people in the US think about the world in general.

Edit: Also dismantling a few hundred years of racism, that's a pretty tall but important order too.

Absolutely, experiments with methods of policing like I described have been carried out in jurisdictions but to implement them on a broad scale as long-term policies would be a major change. Community policing has many opponents as well, and one issue it has that I think is a major sticking point is how political it is. Stronger ties with community services means more attention and more funding towards some organizations over others. Who receives these things is extremely divisive on both local and national levels. However, I truly believe that preventing incidents before they occur is the gold standard of criminal justice and it can work.

Also remember that policing doesn't have issues in a vacuum: entire criminal justice systems are plagued with corruption, money and politics. Correctional facilities are overcrowded and increasingly find themselves serving profit and not rehabilitation, the courts too are stuffed and issues like mandatory minimums and harsher policies towards deterrence justice are ruining lives and restricting the discretion of judges, and politicians feed on the tough on crime approach and those who would fight against it are hamstrung by accusations of soft on crime. Poor policing is a symptom of a larger problem which encompasses all levels of government and all aspects of society. Change is difficult but it can be accomplished with time and dialogue to create new ideas and bring communities together.

Danny LaFever posted:

This sounds right but the police force in my town was/is terrible (Saskatoon, Canada) and they still walked beats and have bike cops bug me about not having a bell on my bike. Didn't stop them from murdering minorities not too long ago.

That said, I think the city and the last couple of policy chiefs in town have tried to do a lot of work to mend fences so to speak, so maybe Canada still has hope compared to American police forces.

Foot patrols are common in many municipalities in Canada and certainly it in itself is not a fix. I do however see a difference in how people react to police when an officer can have a decent chat with someone or ride through town mounted so the kids can see huge gently caress off horses up close.

Cops can be cool, they can be an important part of a community it's just that sadly it's not encouraged like it should be.

SirJohnnyMcDonald fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 21, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if he was going home at night thinking he was doing the right thing?

Honestly, I wonder what a lot of police in this story go home at night thinking. Maybe I am taking the fact that I have a job where I can look at myself in the mirror when I go home for granted.
This is the part I struggle to understand. To anyone on the outside seeing the whole picture its pretty clear these cops are doing some seriously hosed up poo poo.
I see the mind set of the officer going a few different ways.
-Its not me, I am trying to do a good job, these other cops are loving it up
-drat thugs tearing poo poo up, they deserve it
-I wish I didn't have to do this, but they are making me keep the peace
-I wish I didn't have to do this, but I have a family to feed

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Pohl posted:

Would you believe there are ways to subdue armed suspects without tasers while still keeping them alive? Would you believe that while the officers in this video clearly didn't know or care, it is possible and maybe some of the outrage here is that "kill first take sensitivity training later" is the rule and people don't think that's very appropriate?

Very clearly this guy wasn't a threat to anyone but himself. There was no lunge, there was no civilians in danger, there was all the time in the world to call for backup(or maybe for some tazers) while avoiding the dude and trying to talk him down.

But murder is more expedient, especially since they knew they'd get away with it.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Neo Duckberg posted:

Wrong, why would you even say this.

Oh crap, and now I have to go and defend a poster I don't really agree with much, but Rent-A-Cop is 110% correct in that there are armies of crotchety old retirees that give absolutely zero fucks about ANYTHING that doesn't directly effect them at this exact moment.

Granted, they're not a majority, but I swear they'd nuke the entire other 49 states they don't currently live in if it would save them a nickel; and they'd choke the living poo poo out of their current one to save a penny. Caveat being here:

1) They're in a "sunbelt state," -and-
2) They're well-off enough to probably have equally spoiled rotten offspring - thus likely their grand-offspring has got their's locked up too.

I swear the baby boomers will be the death of us as a nation.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

YeahWhatevah posted:

I swear the baby boomers will be the death of us as a nation.

I think the baby boomers will die before the nation does :p

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is the part I struggle to understand. To anyone on the outside seeing the whole picture its pretty clear these cops are doing some seriously hosed up poo poo.
I see the mind set of the officer going a few different ways.
-Its not me, I am trying to do a good job, these other cops are loving it up
-drat thugs tearing poo poo up, they deserve it
-I wish I didn't have to do this, but they are making me keep the peace
-I wish I didn't have to do this, but I have a family to feed

I used to go to a bar and I would drink with a cop and his wife every night. We were all incredibly drunk, and he would drive home 15 miles every single loving night. I offered them a place to stay on more than one occasion, but no, he was fine. This went on for almost a year, before I couldn't take his poo poo anymore and I changed bars. I will never get over how superior he was to everyone else, and I will never forget how he drove drunk 7 days a week when I walked home a block or two.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

I think the baby boomers will die before the nation does :p

Never before have I been more sincere in saying this:

"I do hope you are right."

(though dealing with these tenacious fuckers has me thinking "Not a chance in hell...")

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pohl posted:

I used to go to a bar and I would drink with a cop and his wife every night. We were all incredibly drunk, and he would drive home 15 miles every single loving night. I offered them a place to stay on more than one occasion, but no, he was fine. This went on for almost a year, before I couldn't I couldn't take his poo poo anymore and I changed bars. I will never get over how superior he was to everyone else, and I will never forget how he drove drunk 7 days a week when I walked home a block or two.
I get what you are saying, but cops do run the spectrum. I've met some dick ones, and I've met some really cool ones. I feel that the system itself is unjust, but that doesn't mean its fair to judge them all equally.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

Would you believe there are ways to subdue armed suspects without tasers while still keeping them alive? Would you believe that while the officers in this video clearly didn't know or care, it is possible and maybe some of the outrage here is that "kill first take sensitivity training later" is the rule and people don't think that's very appropriate?

Very clearly this guy wasn't a threat to anyone but himself. There was no lunge, there was no civilians in danger, there was all the time in the world to call for backup(or maybe for some tazers) while avoiding the dude and trying to talk him down.

But murder is more expedient, especially since they knew they'd get away with it.

Oh hell, they could have done a lot of things, including running away.
I was just pointing out the taser thing because people continue to say that the cops should have tased him.
They didn't have tasers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cops can be cool, they can be an important part of a community it's just that sadly it's not encouraged like it should be.
The way I think of it is like being a doctor in Nigeria or somewhere. You may very well be a world-class doctor; absolutely nothing is stopping you from being one. However, due to a complete lack of oversight (I am assuming about Nigeria anyway), the doctor down the block could be a butcher, and there's nothing stopping them from being that way. I mean, you have your job to do and they have theirs, and that's just how it is.

Now, America is not Nigeria, but...drat, it sure seems that way about police departments in various cities, or maybe inside the same police department.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Wadjamaloo posted:

On the anon stream it looked like she got put into a cop car. Not in cuffs mind you, just politely given a ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlMcB2jzTt0

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

The way I think of it is like being a doctor in Nigeria or somewhere. You may very well be a world-class doctor, absolutely nothing is stopping you from being one. However, due to a complete lack of oversight (I am assuming about Nigeria anyway), the doctor down the block could be a butcher, and there's nothing stopping them from being that way. I mean, you have your job to do and they have theirs, and that's just how it is.

Now, America is not Nigeria, but...drat, it sure seems that way about police departments in various cities, or maybe inside the same police department.

It would be really easy to change our militarized police force to community police. No one with the power wants to, however, so it won't happen.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Even after 11 days even the cops are going to be pissed the gently caress off at her.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pohl posted:

It would be really easy to change our militarized police force to community police. No one with the power wants to, however, so it won't happen.
Right, just like the Nigerian government could have a strong licensing system for doctors, but why should they? I'm sure all the government people have private doctors that they know are good.

I don't mean to pick on Nigeria here, I mean countries with poor oversight of essential services in general. And since police sure as hell is an essential service, America is on that list too.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

incoherent posted:

Even after 11 days even the cops are going to be pissed the gently caress off at her.

Mind you, it is reasonable to expect that the supporter was not rushed away because they all want to be a fan of the idiot, but it was the best action that no one gets killed right in that moment.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Probably the anonymous source thats saying brown was charging/beating up the police officer while magically not having any signs of a struggle on his body.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Right, just like the Nigerian government could have a strong licensing system for doctors, but why should they? I'm sure all the government people have private doctors that they know are good.

I don't mean to pick on Nigeria here, I mean countries with poor oversight of essential services in general.

Oh, come on. In bigger cities you take the cops out of the cars and give them walking routes. In smaller areas you assign 2-3 people to certain areas and have them be patrol and respond to any and all calls. What happens is, the police get to know the people in the neighborhoods they are protecting, and the people get to know the police that are in the area. It creates a bond.
Yeah, you are going to have bad officers, but if you are serious and diligent you can remove them quickly. This is not hard, but it is impossible considering how we do policing right now.

Oh, you were agreeing with me, weren't you? poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pohl posted:

Oh, come on. In bigger cities you take the cops out of the cars and give them walking routes. In smaller areas you assign 2-3 people to certain areas and have them be patrol and respond to any and all calls. What happens is, the police get to know the people in the neighborhoods they are protecting, and the people get to know the police that are in the area. It creates a bond.
Yeah, you are going to have bad officers, but if you are serious and diligent you can remove them quickly. This is not hard, but it is impossible considering how we do policing right now.

Oh, you were agreeing with me, weren't you? poo poo.
Well, I'm not really sure, but I think the analogy holds because the police in the neighborhoods were powerful people live appear to be relatively okay...not to mention powerful people being mostly white. We all saw the polls, the whiter you are, the more you think police are ok. I'd like to see such poll by level of white saturation of your neighborhood/town though.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

incoherent posted:

The police actually did a smart and good thing. Will wonders never cease? :)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
As a general rule, yes. I'm personally terrified of police to the point of irrationality.

I mean, I shouldn't have to worry, after all. I'm so white I can't tan! ...ugh.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I'm not really sure, but I think the analogy holds because the police in the neighborhoods were powerful people live appear to be relatively okay...not to mention powerful people being mostly white. We all saw the polls, the whiter you are, the more you think police are ok. I'd like to see such poll by level of white saturation of your neighborhood/town though.

I live in Boise, ID... you don't need a poll. I just quit my job and I'm moving to San Diego in a few months, though. I'm loving out of here.
I will completely agree with the power level between the rich and poor. Were we talking about that, though? We probably should have been, but I'm not sure we were. In essence, I completely agree with you.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 21, 2014

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Cuntpunch posted:

I guess that was what I'm getting at, hence the sarcasm, though I acknowledge Pohl sees reality for what it is.

From what I've seen, cops are just getting rid of the dregs. The scum that don't deserve to be wasting their (the "elite's*") precious. They have to throw a bone to us plebes now-and-then so if it's a little "Authoritah" that happens to get some low-life killed: "Hey! Bonus!"

I know that sounds deeply cynical, but the dicks at the top don't care any more than what is depicted in any given dystopian novel set in the future.

*No, that's not in the Fox News sense of the word, but the true obscenely monied "Lizard people" sense.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pohl posted:

Are you crazy? I don't mean you, I mean the person getting shot. Are they crazy? Do they know that?

Seriously, though. If you have a weapon that you are waving around, you shouldn't just be shot after someone tells you to drop it a few times. You should only be shot if you try and use it. Otherwise, the people trained to protect and serve should try and save you, just like they would anyone else.

It appears the legal repercussions for tazering an unarmed black guy in STL aren't terribly different from shooting him in the top of the head.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I've been out all night, what's happening now? Anything go down tonight?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

YeahWhatevah posted:

I guess that was what I'm getting at, hence the sarcasm, though I acknowledge Pohl sees reality for what it is.

From what I've seen, cops are just getting rid of the dregs. The scum that don't deserve to be wasting their (the "elite's*") precious. They have to throw a bone to us plebes now-and-then so if it's a little "Authoritah" that happens to get some low-life killed: "Hey! Bonus!"

I know that sounds deeply cynical, but the dicks at the top don't care any more than what is depicted in any given dystopian novel set in the future.

*No, that's not in the Fox News sense of the word, but the true obscenely monied "Lizard people" sense.

But don't think cops are included in the super special club. They are all cool as long as they keep the other plebs in order, but the moment they want to unionize more or get better work hours or actually get their pensions, then they just get hosed like everyne else.

- The 39-year-old Summerville man credits his Christian faith with keeping him strong, but he is bitter about the way he’s been treated by the state Department of Corrections and the criminal justice system.

The corrections agency terminated him a year after the stabbing because he was unable to return to duty from his disability. Then the state dropped felony assault charges against the two inmates accused of stabbing him.
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130728/PC16/130729388

New York police, firefighters lose pension fight in Court of Appeals
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/finest-bravest-lose-pension-fight-article-1.1850249

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
So this suicidal dude waving a gun in San Diego was subdued via a disabling shot by police, after an hour of them trying to talk him down.

http://www.10news.com/news/san-diego-police-respond-to-possibly-armed-man-in-mission-bay

But he was obviously not a thug, though

You can tell by the color of his skin

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I've been out all night, what's happening now? Anything go down tonight?

Google news is a great resource.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

But don't think cops are included in the super special club. They are all cool as long as they keep the other plebs in order, but the moment they want to unionize more or get better work hours or actually get their pensions, then they just get hosed like everyne else.

Abso-loving-lutely!

I just wish they'd realize it for themselves. The power of a little "Authoritah" is intoxicating for so many of us.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Pohl posted:

Google news is a great resource.

Like it isn't generally faster to get highlights from the thread obsessively monitoring events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Iowa Snow King posted:

So this suicidal dude waving a gun in San Diego was subdued via a disabling shot by police, after an hour of them trying to talk him down.

http://www.10news.com/news/san-diego-police-respond-to-possibly-armed-man-in-mission-bay

But he was obviously not a thug, though

You can tell by the color of his skin

Hell yeah, that is why I'm moving to San Diego.

• Locked thread