Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

I do love the good ol' "Absolution is total loving poo poo and is the worst game ever because it's not Blood Money 2, which is what I expected it to be when I bought it." argument. Fricken epic.
I like this too, because Blood Money is the black sheep of the Hitman games, not Absolution. (I mean Absolution did add QTE's but the point A to point B missions and all that were things in 1/2/That other one)
BM is the one that broke formula with open worldish assassinations with mostly unlinked missions, the story in the background and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Croccers posted:

I like this too, because Blood Money is the black sheep of the Hitman games, not Absolution. (I mean Absolution did add QTE's but the point A to point B missions and all that were things in 1/2/That other one)
BM is the one that broke formula with open worldish assassinations with mostly unlinked missions, the story in the background and all that.

Alternatively, Blood Money was the one white sheep.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Hitman 2 was a good puzzler shootymans. I never remember having too much issue with the Snow ninja sniper levels either.
2 actually had more interesting assassinations too. BM just had targets hide in a corner if you went loud. 2 had fail conditions.
One of the early assassinations was killing two Russian officers in a park. If you were caught out they'd try to escape. I liked placing car-bombs on the cars, startling them so they'd run to them, then they'd explode.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember a Hitman mission where you assassinated a target from one building to another without knowing what he looked like, you had to go by clues to his mannerisms.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Acquire Currency! posted:

I remember a Hitman mission where you assassinated a target from one building to another without knowing what he looked like, you had to go by clues to his mannerisms.

It was in Hitman 2 and I think it was the second mission in St. Petersburg.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ugh

Uuuuuuuugghghhhh
I'm finishing up Wolf Among Us, and it's (the latter part of Season 5) TERRIBLY written. This feels like self-published author levels of dialog and plot progressions. Pointless.

The entire 'courtroom' scene is literally awful and cringe-inducing, not in presentation, but in logical process and delivery. The writers have devolved this thing into High School levels of he-said-she-said and AP philosophy :smuggo:/ Urban Planning arguments that they probably thought were REALLY clever when they were pounding paper, but jesus christ. This is HORRIBLE. It's just so bad.

You know how the movie Borat makes you cringe because those people and situations are just so awkward and embarrassing? This is like that, except that identical cringe feeling is caused by the writing being SO GODDAMNED STUPID.

I hope this picks up because seriously this last 15 minutes is souring me on the entire game, it's that bad.

Otherwise, the game is kinda cool and certainly interesting (except for the heavy QTE scenes - which are cool in theory but bleh in practice), with occasional medium-sized stutters in narrative progression (many caused by the gamification of the dialog gameplay) and a few poorly done dialog deliveries. Nothing bad enough to make me say it's a bad game, but enough to be noticeable.

The game itself is very slow paced, especially in dialog you don't control, like many Japanese movies and the writing, VA, environment shot planning or character expression aren't strong enough to carry that weight. That's not a super big deal, but it's just one more thing on top of it all. I can deal with slow in some good noir or detective films. This is not those.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 21, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So the last few games I've played I've not been a huge fan of the 'emergent' conversations to listen in on ("INDEED I BELIEVE SO"), but The Darkness II must be the first game I've played where the eavesdrop conversations by NPCs actually have full motion capture for each line of dialogue. You can't say they didn't put the effort in, at least.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Hitman: Blood Money is one of the worst games I have ever played. It has all these ways to get to your target and very little ingame direction on how to do it. Sometimes it takes FOREVER just to get to your target and shooting guys in the level doesn't feel as tight as other third person action games so that's another point against it right there.

Absolution is an amazing game with great graphics and a lot of cool cutscenes and stealth missions. Getting across a level to the exit without killing anyone or being seen is some of the most intense video games I have experienced in a long time. I have been a gamer for years and no game touches Hitman: Absolution in the manner in which it is fun and unique among games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think Wolf Among Us was overall a good game but looking at it and TWD Season 2 its pretty clear to me that Jake Rodkin, Sean Vanaman, and to some extent Gary Whitta were the ones that really pushed TWD Season 1 into becoming a great game and without them the quality of writing and gameplay for Telltale's games took a hit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

So the last few games I've played I've not been a huge fan of the 'emergent' conversations to listen in on ("INDEED I BELIEVE SO"), but The Darkness II must be the first game I've played where the eavesdrop conversations by NPCs actually have full motion capture for each line of dialogue. You can't say they didn't put the effort in, at least.

Darkness 2 had some really solid effort put into it. I was impressed when I played it. It's a pretty game, too, so I'm sure that also helped.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Acquire Currency! posted:

Bioshock 2 owns, hard.

also

Drifter posted:

Darkness 2 had some really solid effort put into it. I was impressed when I played it. It's a pretty game, too, so I'm sure that also helped.
Is that the game with the evil tentacles? That game was fun enough; It was nifty being a crimelord with super powers. I remember thinking it was kind of short though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Drifter posted:

The writers have devolved this thing into High School levels of he-said-she-said and AP philosophy :smuggo:/

This annoyed me too but then I realized this is how most people would probably react in a group :negative:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - nah, everyone was so violently in debt to the guy that in real life they'd have tried to kill him, not be swayed. But even if it were possible, the dialog itself was just so loving dumb. Literally dumb.

PrinceRandom posted:

also

Is that the game with the evil tentacles? That game was fun enough; It was nifty being a crimelord with super powers. I remember thinking it was kind of short though.

It was. I'm a slow FPSer and I beat it in about 7 hours. I thought the tentacles were a nice addition to the regular gunplay mechanics. It helped keep things from getting boring in fights.

I also really thought the acting and story and stuff was well done. I thought the asylum bit was cool, as well.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 21, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I know it's been asked a million times but what was that non-SAM program that automatically idles in games for you to get card drops?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

I know it's been asked a million times but what was that non-SAM program that automatically idles in games for you to get card drops?

https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

With a brilliant pun name like that, how can you forget it?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I don't think I ever actually read the name and all I did was mentally register "this is a program that exists".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

revdrkevind posted:

Humble Mobile SEGA bundle has Chu Chu Rocket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga62uiXbEjI

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY loving MONEY.

Oh my god I had Chu Chu Rocket on the GBA and it and Meteos were the best.

e: Meteos was 3ds but still.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 21, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Max Payne 1 and 2 had the best conversations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why have they not released Chu Chu Rocket on Steam yet? Just port the Dreamcast version over with the online mode and all. Add in steam workshop support for user made levels and I will be in eternal bliss.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sivek posted:

Yawhg-related

I had fun with this a couple of months ago but had to fight the urge to play it anymore since it's the type of game that's best played sparingly every now and then so you forgot about the repeated scenes and they suddenly feel new again because you can't remember what leads to what. Did have a lot of fun while playing it but if anyone is interested, you should know that a session of it is extremely short, like not even an half-hour or so and the fun comes from either playing with others or replaying it to see all the different scenes.

Yeah that's the utterly horrifying ending. :cry:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Regarding Xcom, should I just get Xcom Enemy Unknown for now and wait for Enemy Within later or is the expansion pack one of those things I should get right away?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why have they not released Chu Chu Rocket on Steam yet? Just port the Dreamcast version over with the online mode and all. Add in steam workshop support for user made levels and I will be in eternal bliss.

I"m honestly confused as you, didn't we get like 4 dreamcast games ported to Steam? And Jet Set Radio as well, so that makes five.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Ryuga Death posted:

Regarding Xcom, should I just get Xcom Enemy Unknown for now and wait for Enemy Within later or is the expansion pack one of those things I should get right away?

You could easily hold off on the expansion pack, it adds stuff you don't absolutely need and would appreciate more on a second playthrough.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ryuga Death posted:

Buy Both now.

Your best most recommended bet is to buy the XCOM EU + Bureau for 8.50, and then Enemy Within at the whatever price it is now. You probably won't play EW the first time through XCOM , so you COULD hold off, but it's not likely it'll really get cheaper. Just buy both and be done with it, I say - it's a fantastic game.

Bureau is a really solid third person realtime strategy game - none of your team has decent AI so you get a squad of three as essentially your main character. Don't listen to the haters. It plays like a much more strategic version of Mass Effect - again, except the AI partners NEED to be controlled by you, in addition to your main shooty dude.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

SilverMike posted:

You could easily hold off on the expansion pack, it adds stuff you don't absolutely need and would appreciate more on a second playthrough.

Cool. How about the other little DLC? Anything good from them or easily ignorable?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ryuga Death posted:

Cool. How about the other little DLC? Anything good from them or easily ignorable?

The Elite Soldier pack is nice because it gives your troops some visual distinction and color, but it's not really essential. The slingshot pack is worth less than that.

I'd say get the skin pack for shits and giggles, but it's not necessary at all.

If you don't want to buy The Bureau (it's good, tho), just get XCOM complete http://store.steampowered.com/sub/37429/
It comes with everything XCOM you'd need, at a cheaper price than indivisdual (it gives you the Elite Soldier pack for free, essentially).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 21, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Elite Soldier pack also gives you classic XCOM Guile hair.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Get it because I played for a while without colour-coding my classes and I kept loving up. Also they give them cool armours and hats and poo poo.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
This is pretty great:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/6/5279722/steam-sale-stack-of-shame

So should we be ashamed? Do we need better strategies when it comes to dealing with our backlog? Is it time to get our spending under control and try to play the games we own? Of course not. The system is working just fine, thank you, and it's time to stop pretending otherwise.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I love how Ben Kuchera is paid to make obvious observations of things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Thingyman posted:

I love how Ben Kuchera is paid to make obvious observations of things.

You should read some John Walker.

and then kill yourself.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

quote:

Buying games on sale can feel like sending a message in a bottle to possible future versions of yourself.

kuchera'd again

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Drifter posted:

You should read some John Walker.

and then kill yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Walker_(clerical_historian)

Can I do that in reverse?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Oh my you mean people share the same name?

RPS John Walker is the more useless of the two. And I say that knowing that your linked John Walker is dead 250 years.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 21, 2014

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So what exactly is a season pass? I aready have Bioshock Infinite and they're offering that for it and I really have no idea what it is.

E: Also, is the Infinite DLC any good?

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 21, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ceaselessfuture posted:

So what exactly is a season pass? I aready have Bioshock Infinite and they're offering that for it and I really have no idea what it is.

it's the story/other dlc preorder (no longer a preorder anymore), which include the two-part Burial At Sea and also some random fight arena pack.

By all accounts, if you REALLY enjoyed Infinite, get the season pass. If you thought Infinite was anything less than pretty good (or, a truthful "I actually had a lot of fun with it"), don't bother with it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 21, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
A season pass is something you buy that will guarantee you all of the DLC for a game. Think of it like pre-ordering or buying a DLC megapack. There are advantages to it, but if you're not interested in the DLC then don't bother.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Perfect, thanks guys! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tezzeract posted:

This is pretty great:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/6/5279722/steam-sale-stack-of-shame

So should we be ashamed? Do we need better strategies when it comes to dealing with our backlog? Is it time to get our spending under control and try to play the games we own? Of course not. The system is working just fine, thank you, and it's time to stop pretending otherwise.
Whatever. I've just beaten my 28th game since the end of the summer sale (Darkness II). And I've replenished my wishlist. Play what you feel like.

e: Especially nowadays, game campaigns are no longer the sprawling 40-60 hour epics like the Playstation 2 generation, they're usually 6-8hrs long so you can clear out a couple of games a week if you play even a casual amount of hours. In the past 7 days I've completed Prince of Persia 08, Bulletstorm, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut, and now The Darkness II. The week before, I completed Dead Space, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, and Marlow Briggs. With the exception of DE:HR, most of these games are pretty darn short and sweet and won't take you more than a few sittings.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread