Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Look who's on the case:

I've been around the internet for a while now, so I generally feel pretty inured to smug bullshit, but Matt Walsh is one of the most toxic motherfuckers I've ever encountered. It just builds up in your blood like a poison whenever you read one of his posts, and by the end you're barfing blood and bile all over your keyboard.

It took like three tries, but I actually made it most of the way through that article. He actually says "It’s not about what the assailants deserve. It’s about what the assailed deserve" in defense of Darren Wilson. The way Walsh tries to portray himself as Above the Fray and Only Interested in Facts while explicitly taking the anti-Brown stance is almost impressive in its audacity. I need to wash my mouth out.

eta content: his previous article about Ferguson actually got posted by a classmate last week, but I couldn't bring myself to read it until now. Why is "Let Me Tell You the Problem with Black People -- A White Person" such a common topic for conservative writers?
http://themattwalshblog.com/2014/08/11/police-officers-arent-the-ones-destroying-the-black-community/

T. Bombastus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If only there was some kind of inexpensive and lightweight technology that could keep an objective record of these kind of things...

But creative thinking and changing things isn't the right's strong suit.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I don't wish Matt Walsh were dead I wish he'd never have existed.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Clearly we should just tape video recorders to every police officer's head to ensure more reliable intelligence.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

McDowell posted:

If only there was some kind of inexpensive and lightweight technology that could keep an objective record of these kind of things...

But creative thinking and changing things isn't the right's strong suit.
While you're off in liberal la-la land dreaming up sci-fi tech that lets us witness events after they've happened, I'm gonna stick around with Matt Walsh in the conservative realm of cold hard facts, where everything that doesn't jibe with the officer's story is either a lie or an unprovable almost-lie. Let me know when you're ready to grow up and join the dwindling breed of people interested in absolute truths (and alpaca grooming tips).

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
I really wonder how much of Matt Walsh's shtick is about how well he can milk being the voice of far-right millenials on the internet. It's largely uncontested territory, and he seems to be media-savvy enough to get his screeds reposted on a lot of facebook and twitter feeds.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Sir Rolo posted:

I really wonder how much of Matt Walsh's shtick is about how well he can milk being the voice of far-right millenials on the internet. It's largely uncontested territory, and he seems to be media-savvy enough to get his screeds reposted on a lot of facebook and twitter feeds.

So he's the Boondocks version of Ann Coulter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1seThIG34R8

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lightly got into it with some morons the other day:

"We don't know what happened" immediately followed by "the perp". Classy.

Let's go see what their public facing Facebook pages look like:

Cool.

Don't burnout on me.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The famous story is of Akhnai's Oven. The details don't matter, but one Rabbi used reasoning, and the other used miracles to prove their points. The conclusion was that since this is an Earthly matter, it should be handled with Earthly reasoning, that is, by the Rabbis, not through revelation. Rules lawyering is totes legit.

I read this as one rabbi using seasoning. That would have been a clever way to win a baking argument.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also is it just me or are there a lot of stories about Rabbis being clever? I mean moreso than the other abrahamic religions. I've heard a number of stories about Rabbis having various theological and earthly issues brought to them and then they come up with a really clever response, but I can't think of any times I've heard a similar story about Christian, Catholic or Islamic priests.

Is this actually a thing or have I just been listening to the wrong people?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I don't know this guy but god drat, basically it's basically racist bingo. Big surprise, he doesn't actually live in Detroit but in one of the nicer suburbs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Honestly I think the worst part about that is that Marge apparently feels that if an unarmed man assaults a police officer the officer is within their rights to just up and kill the unarmed man.

Unless the unarmed man is Cain Marko I don't really think death is the appropriate punishment for attempting to punch a cop, or even succeeding multiple times.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Matt Innae is an old white lady, who also is the one who liked my post at the bottom (I'm Curtis E. Flush). Good to see that a sarcastic re-posting of MLK's words from Letter from Birmingham Jail flew right over these racist's heads.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
"...Miley Cyrus was Hannah Montana back when Bush was in office that's all I'm saying"

I don't get Facebook or email crazy but sometimes I'll get a decent overheard.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Neruz posted:

Honestly I think the worst part about that is that Marge apparently feels that if an unarmed man assaults a police officer the officer is within their rights to just up and kill the unarmed man.

There's a guy on my friend's facebook arguing that because Missouri's law authorizing deadly force to stop a fleeing felon doesn't discriminate between types of felonies, once Brown hit the police officer he's guilty of a felony, assault and battery of an officer, and if he flees the cop is within his rights to gun him down to keep him from getting away.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Posted on a friends Facebook. She's generally pretty liberal, so I have no idea what prompted this.

Facebook quote copied/pasted below. Complete with formatting!

Video link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQRMGmDzkM
*****************************************************************************************
It is important to watch the video first, then read text below.
It's short but you will catch it.

Watch The Video BEFORE You Read the Story! Pay Attention!

This video is of actual Detectives attempting to stop a CRIMINAL in Chicago.
This Video was taken by a Police Officer Videographer who, was also in harm's way.
WATCH the Video First... Two or Three Times if You Want...
(and) THEN Read TheText Below...
DON'T READ UNTIL YOU WATCH THE VIDEO!
You may need to watch this one several times.
Please remember these cops acted in real time....
THIS PERSON DOES GET SHOT BY THE DETECTIVES.
THIS IS FOR REAL. DO NOT scroll down and read until you see this 8 sec. video.

WHAT DID YOU SEE???? Officers ordered the suspect to put the assault rifle down, and that is what he is doing, Right? it appears he is complying and then they shoot him!!!

OMG, he is shot! Is that what you saw? Do you want to know what it is like to work the streets as a cop, and what risks our Officers face daily? Watch the video again... Watch the suspect's right hand while he places the rifle down with his left hand. What you don't see by facing this Criminal face to face, but the Officer behind the suspect does see, is the suspect pulling a hidden handgun from his rear pants, with his right hand. {back-up yells "Gun"
before firing}

Watch as the bad guy goes down..... the handgun is still in his right hand. This is a reminder... What you think you see at does not always tell the truth.

Watch it again, and learn! NOW, pass this on to EVERYONE on your email list, so they can do the same. It's time for Mr. and Mrs. Citizen as well as the Media have a better understanding of why people REALLY get shot and WHY our Officers are always in Jeopardy. Think I would rather try to ride a bull for 8 seconds, how about you?
************************************************************************************

Watching it, all I can think is:
A) This is obviously staged.
B) The officers were white and the criminal was black. Racist much?
C) We see no blood and no other gun after he drops his. Ever. At any point.

Just...ugh. Also, the first link on Google for me for this video is "Thug with AR-15 gets shot in back in Chicago." You can see who this is trying to appeal to.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Whoever wrote that video description has no sense of pacing. Why do these forwards/reports always repeat the same introductory things over and over before they actually get to their lovely thesis statement?

Timett posted:

"...Miley Cyrus was Hannah Montana back when Bush was in office that's all I'm saying"

They're right. Bangerz was not only Miley's best album but one of the best pop albums of 2013. :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

VitalSigns posted:

There's a guy on my friend's facebook arguing that because Missouri's law authorizing deadly force to stop a fleeing felon doesn't discriminate between types of felonies, once Brown hit the police officer he's guilty of a felony, assault and battery of an officer, and if he flees the cop is within his rights to gun him down to keep him from getting away.

whaaaaaaat?

How does that chain of logic connect I don't even.

Though I'm also not sure how to feel about Missouri law authorizing deadly force to stop a fleeing felon but that's not really the point here.

blackmet posted:

Watching it, all I can think is:
A) This is obviously staged.
B) The officers were white and the criminal was black. Racist much?
C) We see no blood and no other gun after he drops his. Ever. At any point.

According to comments it is a training video and there's a second video from the opposite side that shows him pulling the handgun from his waistband. How true this is I do not know.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Whoever wrote that video description has no sense of pacing. Why do these forwards/reports always repeat the same introductory things over and over before they actually get to their lovely thesis statement?

They think that if they repeat themselves you are more likely to pay attention.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 21, 2014

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

JohnClark posted:

Matt Innae is an old white lady, who also is the one who liked my post at the bottom (I'm Curtis E. Flush). Good to see that a sarcastic re-posting of MLK's words from Letter from Birmingham Jail flew right over these racist's heads.

I really wonder how right-wingers got the idea that it's only allowed to protest in your own city (or neighborhood). The same complains are brought up in Europe when there's any kind of larger demonstration that people want to throw poo poo at. And I get why local politicians are always quick to point out that everyone who broke the law was some professional troublemaker from Berlin or Kopenhagen, or LA or New York because their citizens would never behave like that (and most of the time, they're "flown in" or "bussed" because they can't even imagine that people have their own opinions, they must always be controlled by some kind of evil liberal puppetmaster), but why do regular people care about that so much? It seems perfectly normal to demonstrate in Ferguson right now, that's where the thing happened they're protesting against.

That "protest" is a criminal activity along the lines of looting and throwing rocks at the police is pretty awesome as well. Obviously, that's more than enough to deserve death.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Apparently instead of moving the (presumably safety off) gun you are already carrying in a ready position by a few degrees it's easier to instead drop it, reach for your back pocket to grab another gun, flip it around, switch off its safety, aim, then fight against the single action pull.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

peak debt posted:

Apparently instead of moving the (presumably safety off) gun you are already carrying in a ready position by a few degrees it's easier to instead drop it, reach for your back pocket to grab another gun, flip it around, switch off its safety, aim, then fight against the single action pull.

None of the comments say it is a good training video :shrug:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Neruz posted:

None of the comments say it is a good training video :shrug:
Huh, bad cops have bad training materials...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Brother was just exercising his open carry rights...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Neruz posted:

whaaaaaaat?

How does that chain of logic connect I don't even.

Though I'm also not sure how to feel about Missouri law authorizing deadly force to stop a fleeing felon but that's not really the point here.

Okay okay, here is his argument.

Discendo Vox, I have need of your pedantry! (But really, Vox if you're reading this I am actually curious what you think).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Soviet Commubot posted:

I don't know this guy but god drat, basically it's basically racist bingo. Big surprise, he doesn't actually live in Detroit but in one of the nicer suburbs.

lol like this guy has been downtown in someplace other then greektown and the joe in 25 years.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

VitalSigns posted:

Discendo Vox, I have need of your pedantry! (But really, Vox if you're reading this I am actually curious what you think).

Yeah I'm having some major internal processing faults when I try to follow that chain of logic. I have enough trouble coming to terms with the fact that Missouri law allows lethal force to be used against a fleeing suspect outside of the suspect presenting an immediate threat to another human being much less the chain of logic that allows that law to fire with regards to a person who may or may not have punched a cop.

I just, how, how is death the appropriate response to punching a police officer.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

No, the more important question would be "did he actually assault the cop?" Before all other questions about excessive force, this question needs to be answered. Currently there is no answer as far as I am aware, and he is clearly not interested in what actually happened as he seems to already believe that the assault happened. The cop says one thing, a witness says another, and other witnesses are not sure, but I will say that it is pretty telling that the friend didn't get arrested.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Found this one on Facebook this morning.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Timett posted:

The right seriously made me like and defend Miley Cyrus (to an extent)

There was literally a women on Fox News's "The Five" that called her "Twerking" the "Darkest Day in American History"

That's how stupid and non self aware these people are.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

There was literally a women on Fox News's "The Five" that called her "Twerking" the "Darkest Day in American History"

The Video Music Awards, August 26th 2013: A Date Which Will Live in Infamy
:911:

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

xergm posted:

Found this one on Facebook this morning.

'No make the lips bigger! That one could have baggier pants! you should make those signs more badly written!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

VitalSigns posted:

I don't know much about authorization of force rules for the police, but right out the gate, if the rule in question is unconstitutional they've got problems. If they're relying on an unconstitutional rule to justify the action then, surprise, it's not going to justify the action. (If the rule is unconstitutional, but their actions were, they may be ok, but it would depend on other factors and gets complicated).

Googling this (I really gotta stress, I don't know this area), the wikipedia page for deadly force says the standard is governed by Tennessee v. Garner, which says: "deadly force...may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to the officer or others." The standard is an objective reasonableness one, so it's what a reasonable officer would believe in the circumstances, not what the actual officer thought at the time.

Obviously, the rule being described in Barry Cade's post doesn't meet that standard- so if the wikipedia article is accurate, and if Barry's description of the use of force rule is accurate, then the rule is unconstitutional. Remember, I'm just going off of a lovely facebook post and a wikipedia page, but solely based on those, the rule Barry described can't seem to justify what happened as Barry described it. It's a really bad argument from the moment he says "the law being unconstitutional doesn't matter".

Let me emphasize, I don't know the details of the Brown case and am working purely off of the facebook post and wikipedia. Barry may not be describing the Missouri law properly, or the Garner standard wikipedia has might be incorrect (it's suspect in part because it's at issue in the Brown case, so people may be editing it to support their views, although the standard it gives is a lot more reasonable than the one Barry describes). I'm saying Barry's argument is poor, not that the Brown case should be resolved one way or the other.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 21, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

The Video Music Awards, August 26th 2013: A Date Which Will Live in Infamy
:911:

"Trail of Tears"?
"Slavery"?
"Gettysburg"?
"Pearl Harbor"?
"The Kennedy Assassination"?
"September 11th"?
"Newtown"?
"Ferguson"?

All pale in comparison to some girl rubbing her on rear end on some idiots crotch on a show and network that's barely clinging to relevancy at this point.

I think this is the women that made the comment btw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Tantaros

Lazarus Long
Dec 13, 2002
Get ready to start hearing about the latest escalation in the War on Christians. This story has been picking up speed among the religious nuts on my Facebook. Also hearing people talking about it at work.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/08/20/student-punished-for-saying-bless/

quote:

“Christians have been told to be quiet, to shut up,” he said. “It’s ridiculous. Everybody has a right to their beliefs. I’m glad Kendra stood up.”

Of course this is getting completely blown out of proportion by people who only read the headline. Basically from what i can tell the student said "bless you" in class to someone who sneezed and the teacher told her to be quiet. The student then proceeded to argue with the teacher about her freedom of religion and got sent to the principal where she had to sit out the remainder of the class in ISS. The administration makes it very clear it wasn't the content of what was said that she was being punished for, but for the disruption her outburst caused in the class.

Personally I prefer saying Gesundheit anyway.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lazarus Long posted:

Get ready to start hearing about the latest escalation in the War on Christians. This story has been picking up speed among the religious nuts on my Facebook. Also hearing people talking about it at work.

Of course this is getting completely blown out of proportion by people who only read the headline. Basically from what i can tell the student said "bless you" in class to someone who sneezed and the teacher told her to be quiet. The student then proceeded to argue with the teacher about her freedom of religion and got sent to the principal where she had to sit out the remainder of the class in ISS. The administration makes it very clear it wasn't the content of what was said that she was being punished for, but for the disruption her outburst caused in the class.

Personally I prefer saying Gesundheit anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if the student was waiting for a chance to make a fuss. I imagine as soon as she heard the sneeze she stood up and bellowed: "GOD BLESS you! AS IN GOD OUR HOLY FATHER WHO KEEPS US SAFE FROM THE HEATHEN HOARDS LIKE MRS.Teacher OVER THERE." -:smuggo: look to the teacher-

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Conservatives: well known for defending the rights of children to ignore authority, eat junk food, talk in class, and sass the teacher.

They're just defending this kid to be consistent with their principles.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

That darn Eisenhower, he golfed over 800 times in office! :bahgawd:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Treason: more important than golf"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a really bad argument from the moment he says "the law being unconstitutional doesn't matter".

He had an answer for this

Essentially, he is arguing that the cop should be acquitted under the Missouri law as it is on the books (because Garner didn't specifically overturn Missouri's law for the reason given above), and even though he believes the law is unconstitutional, that doesn't matter because it's the law now, and even though he thinks the Supreme Court would/should rule to overturn it, that doesn't matter because once the cop is acquitted the state can't appeal so it will never get to the Supreme Court anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Lazarus Long posted:

I was kind of tempted to start a thread on something similiar to this.

This story is kind of dumb, but I think it illustrates what I've been wanting to say in terms of the religious right, and reddit atheists loving things up for everyone. (This one primarily being on the "religious right" side of things).

There's been a recent trend of a bunch of Evangelical Reddit Atheists that seem to cry every time something remotely religious is brought into the public square, and then get sue happy.

It's idiotic because it allows conservative Christians to cry about "religious persecution" while their lobbyists continue to do hosed up poo poo in terms of what they control in state and local governments.

It doesn't attack real, legitimate cases of separation of church and state, but attacks one that makes them seem like they're some sort of villain in a really lovely "Focus on the Family" movie.

I wish Atheists as a whole would focus on stuff like the hosed up things the Family Research Council is doing, and ignore say, Little Johnny's christmas play where he's singing "Silent Night".