Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe we should ban guns and just bring back swords

imagine how much cooler this would be if everyone had swords

yeaaaaaaaaah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Can we not develop a better one? I dunno. All I'm saying is, in the current technological zeitgeist we are enjoying, is it really so far-fetched to devise some way of incapacitating somebody reliably and nonfatally?

It is. Things that incapacitate quickly are bad for the body, usually really bad. Tranquilizer is just a nice way of saying poison. Chemically speaking, most anything that puts a person down that fast has a chance to do long lasting damage to livers, kidneys, and other useful organs. That's why anesthesiologists get paid the big bucks and have to go to school for years. I really don't want cops getting a six hour training course on a dart gun and calling it good.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There are also no nationally accepted standards for use of force and neither are there no complete national registries for use of deadly force incidents in teh US.

Neither are there requirements for boards to investigate use of force or an agency that could issue new regulation after investigation.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

chitoryu12 posted:

Because that's not how anesthesia works.

I've played a lot of Metal Gear Solid, so as a qualified expert on the subject,

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm reluctant to engage with people on this forum because I think you're unlikely to accept the opinions of any one as an expert on firearms and how that plays into the role of how police use them. Nonetheless I feel the need to address a few things I saw in the past couple pages.

Warning shots are generally a bad idea. Most American laws specify that firearms are always deadly force regardless of how used. To justify deadly force it must be immediately necessary. If there is the time for warning shots there is time for other less lethal or non lethal options. A safe backstop might not be, so using the firearm should always be a last resort.

Limb shots. Again deadly force is justified or not. If that's the shot an officer has it might be appropriate. Limb shots are still potentially fatal. You're also counting on the police being hyper competent with marksmanship which most are not. Depending on where the agency is they may not have access to ranges easily and if the culture is anti gun there will be few officers that choose to become proficient on their own. See NYPDs recent string of shooting multiple innocent bystanders for example.

Multiple shots. Firing one or two shots and assessing if someone is still a threat exposes the officer to risk of counter attack. Officers have in fact been killed because a wounded suspect returned fire or closed the distance. Firing 2 shots and assessing went out of style with revolvers where 2 shots was 1/3 of the ammunition capacity and reloading was slow. 5-6 is now roughly 1/3-1/4 the capacity and training revolves around shooting until the threat stops (usually on the ground or as they fall). It overwhelms the opponents nervous system and they are less able to fight back.

Pohl posted:

The St. Louis police don't have tasers.
Can I repeat this enough, those cops did not have tasers.

Incredibly stupid for a modern law enforcement not to. They also didn't have dash cam or body cams.

quote:

Are you crazy? I don't mean you, I mean the person getting shot. Are they crazy? Do they know that?

Seriously, though. If you have a weapon that you are waving around, you shouldn't just be shot after someone tells you to drop it a few times. You should only be shot if you try and use it. Otherwise, the people trained to protect and serve should try and save you, just like they would anyone else.

Human reaction times are a real scientifically proven thing. If I am defending and have my gun out and pointed at you and I wait for you to point a gun at me or start pointing it, best case we will shoot each other at the same time. This includes if you are facing 90 degrees away. If you don't drop the weapon right away the officer is taking a risk that you will not shoot him. If my finger is on the trigger it takes 0.25 seconds to fire if I make the decision to. It also takes as long to stop shooting. Reaction cannot beat action, at least not easily without distance and movement. If I am holstered and I am good it will take me 1.5-1.75 to get the gun out and fire the first shot. In the same amount of time an opponent with an edged weapon can cover 21 feet. Most people because they do not practice will take 2-2.5 seconds which increases this distance to 25-35 feet.

This incident happened in 1998. The deputy had previously been disciplined for use of force so he was less willing to use force when justified, he had also been taught to never shoot until a gun was actually pointed at him.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e91_1324341647

Academies and internal training have been watching it and other videos for 16 years now as examples of what not to do. Why do police operate the way they do? Because it makes them more survivable. Force on force training and real world use validates these methods.

What the police do need is on body cameras for every officer recording every contact. The police don't want to kill you and the safest way to avoid that is immediately complying with whatever orders they give you. Even if an arrest is unlawful arguing or resisting right there could result in injury or death. Sue them later when a muzzle isn't pointed in your face. I've had the police point guns at me several times during my adult life, including one time where it was called in as terrorists with machine guns. We still managed to avoid getting shot and the situation was quickly resolved.

SinistralRifleman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 21, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SinistralRifleman posted:

The police don't want to kill you

Yeah, about that... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFia3Uo0TQ

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah...

I honestly hadn't heard about that part of it until this incident. All I knew is that you draw your gun and pull the trigger only when you intend to kill someone.

Here, read or watch this: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25/nypd-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire/

:golfclap:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I'm reluctant to engage with people on this forum because I think you're unlikely to accept the opinions of any one as an expert on firearms and how that plays into the role of how police use them. Nonetheless I feel the need to address a few things I saw in the past couple pages.

You forgot to tell why how these policies that just can't work do work elsewhere in the World and do not lead to massive bystanders being killed or massive police casualties. On the contrast, where center mass clip-unloading is done, perps, cops and bystander get killed on a higher rate.

"Force on force training and real world use validates these methods." Despite policing being relatively safe, out of civilized countries, you are worst off in here as a cop.

That is not a thing to just hop over. Police shoot and get shot at elsewhere, too.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 21, 2014

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Pohl posted:

I never said it was justified, stop putting words in my mouth. Read the thread.
There were a ton of things they could and should have done, but they rolled up on the guy like it was a movie and then shot him. It was hosed up.

Wasn't my intention to insinuate you said that, just speaking more to the general hosed up situation. Looking on in from Canada makes all this seem pretty nuts and so goddamn crazy, and the worst I can think we've had is that one guy that rushed a cop in a buss and got shot dead. That never should have happened, but a lot more justified given confined spaces and a confirmed crazy person with a knife that eventually rushed the cop after a longish standoff. Nothing comes close to Michael Brown up here, though.

My apologies for earlier and condolences on one hosed up police state.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

Warning shots are generally a bad idea. Most American laws specify that firearms are always deadly force regardless of how used. To justify deadly force it must be immediately necessary. If there is the time for warning shots there is time for other less lethal or non lethal options. A safe backstop might not be, so using the firearm should always be a last resort.

Limb shots. Again deadly force is justified or not. If that's the shot an officer has it might be appropriate. Limb shots are still potentially fatal. You're also counting on the police being hyper competent with marksmanship which most are not. Depending on where the agency is they may not have access to ranges easily and if the culture is anti gun there will be few officers that choose to become proficient on their own. See NYPDs recent string of shooting multiple innocent bystanders for example.

Multiple shots. Firing one or two shots and assessing if someone is still a threat exposes the officer to risk of counter attack. Officers have in fact been killed because a wounded suspect returned fire or closed the distance. Firing 2 shots and assessing went out of style with revolvers where 2 shots was 1/3 of the ammunition capacity and reloading was slow. 5-6 is now roughly 1/3-1/4 the capacity and training revolves around shooting until the threat stops (usually on the ground or as they fall). It overwhelms the opponents nervous system and they are less able to fight back.

Incredibly stupid for a modern law enforcement not to. They also didn't have dash cam or body cams.

Human reaction times are a real scientifically proven thing. If I am defending and have my gun out and pointed at you and I wait for you to point a gun at me or start pointing it, best case we will shoot each other at the same time. This includes if you are facing 90 degrees away. If you don't drop the weapon right away the officer is taking a risk that you will not shoot him. If my finger is on the trigger it takes 0.25 seconds to fire if I make the decision to. Reaction cannot beat action, at least not easily without distance and movement. If I am holstered and I am good it will take me 1.5-1.75 to get the gun out and fire the first shot. In the same amount of time an opponent with an edged weapon can cover 21 feet. Most people because they do not practice will take 2-2.5 seconds which increases this distance to 25-35 feet.

This incident happened in 1998. The deputy had previously been disciplined for use of force so he was less willing to use force when justified, he had also been taught to never shoot until a gun was actually pointed at him.

Academies and internal training have been watching it and other videos for 16 years now as examples of what not to do. Why do police operate the way they do? Because it makes them more survivable. Force on force training and real world use validates these methods.

What the police do need is on body cameras for every officer recording every contact. The police don't want to kill you and the safest way to avoid that is immediately complying with whatever orders they give you. Even if an arrest is unlawful arguing or resisting right there could result in injury or death. Sue them later when a muzzle isn't pointed in your face. I've had the police point guns at me several times during my adult life, including one time where it was called in as terrorists with machine guns. We still managed to avoid getting shot and the situation was quickly resolved.

A good post.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
in the video of the guy that supposedly had a knife and was lunging and stole two cans of pop, why do they put cuffs on a dead body?

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

You have basically just regurgitated much of the basis for how police in America are trained and well we know that doesn't actually work.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Al Harrington posted:

in the video of the guy that supposedly had a knife and was lunging and stole two cans of pop, why do they put cuffs on a dead body?

Often mandated.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Al Harrington posted:

You never know when the zombie apocalypse will strike.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

Al Harrington posted:

Protocol. Only certain people can ascertain ones being alive or dead.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

Niedar posted:

You have basically just regurgitated much of the basis for how police in America are trained and well we know that doesn't actually work.

I still don't know how dealing with someone coming at you with a knife is supposed to work. Please, in detail explain to me what you would do.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Chicago Death Rate posted:

Protocol. Only certain people can ascertain ones being alive or dead.

Certain often being a medical doctor, or in case of massive trauma, severed parts of body, secondary indications of death or similar, any first responder can "assume death" and does not have to provide treatment, cpr or otherwise regard as living.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vahakyla posted:

You forgot to tell why how these policies that just can't work do work elsewhere in the World and do not lead to massive bystanders being killed or massive police casualties. On the contrast, where center mass clip-unloading is done, perps, cops and bystander get killed on a higher rate.

That is not a thing to just hop over. Police shoot and get shot at elsewhere, too.

You can't view every American law enforcement agency as the same. Some are great on training, others are not. NYPD is the worst example in recent years for shooting innocent bystanders. They have a culture adverse to firearms, they have sought out equipment solutions to training problems that make using firearms harder, and officers qualify as little as every 18 months to 3 years. There is no one in a position of authority to tell them what they are doing is wrong because the police are treated as defacto experts on firearms.

Where I live I compete with a number of officers that are trainers and decision makers in their departments. I also compete with several attorney's prosecutors and defense. These people are at the top 1% for firearms proficiency and understanding and I trust them to make better decisions with regards to training and equipment selection than people that fire 50 rounds every 18 months.

I'm honestly not very familiar with how foreign police use firearms. I do know England uses long guns more often when firearms are called for, and this makes sense when training is Minimal shoulder fired weapons are easier to shoot well with less training. For how good many American cops are with their pistols I'd rather see them using semi auto Mp5s or M4s because their hit ratios would be better.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Human reaction times are a real scientifically proven thing. If I am defending and have my gun out and pointed at you and I wait for you to point a gun at me or start pointing it, best case we will shoot each other at the same time. This includes if you are facing 90 degrees away. If you don't drop the weapon right away the officer is taking a risk that you will not shoot him. If my finger is on the trigger it takes 0.25 seconds to fire if I make the decision to. It also takes as long to stop shooting. Reaction cannot beat action, at least not easily without distance and movement. If I am holstered and I am good it will take me 1.5-1.75 to get the gun out and fire the first shot. In the same amount of time an opponent with an edged weapon can cover 21 feet. Most people because they do not practice will take 2-2.5 seconds which increases this distance to 25-35 feet.

Thank you.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Been gone for 5 hours. Did I miss anything?

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Niedar posted:

Yes I explained the basis, so you might understand why things are the way they are. It's up to you to disprove the basis or come up with alternative methodologies that mitigate risk to officers and the public.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

7thBatallion posted:

Been gone for 5 hours. Did I miss anything?

Relatively quiet night due to storms/people needing to go back to their jobs. But apparently the PMC Asymmetric Solutions was hired to add some of their ex-special forces goons to the security detail of an unnamed individual visiting St. Louis this week.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

Vahakyla posted:

Certain often being a medical doctor, or in case of massive trauma, severed parts of body, secondary indications of death or similar, any first responder can "assume death" and does not have to provide treatment, cpr or otherwise regard as living.

So we are agreeing?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

You can't view every American law enforcement agency as the same. Some are great on training, others are not. NYPD is the worst example in recent years for shooting innocent bystanders. They have a culture adverse to firearms, they have sought out equipment solutions to training problems that make using firearms harder, and officers qualify as little as every 18 months to 3 years. There is no one in a position of authority to tell them what they are doing is wrong because the police are treated as defacto experts on firearms.

Where I live I compete with a number of officers that are trainers and decision makers in their departments. I also compete with several attorney's prosecutors and defense. These people are at the top 1% for firearms proficiency and understanding and I trust them to make better decides with regards to training and equipment selection than people that fire 50 rounds every 18 months.

I'm honestly not very familiar with how foreign police use firearms. I do know England uses long guns more often when firearms are called for, and this makes sense when training is Minimal shoulder fired weapons are easier to shoot well with less training. For how good many American cops are with their pistols I'd rather see them using semi auto Mp5s or M4s because their hit ratios would be better.

In Finland, to facilitate better limb shot success, police cars have an MP5. Limb shots with pistol are still practiced in case of no access to the support weapon.

Other countries have similar concepts of support weapons.
A great portion of american police do have access to patrol rifles.

I do agree that with the mandated trigger pull of the NYPD managing a limb shots would be hard in a fast situation. This is not an argument against using deadly force in a mitigated way, but an argument against retardation.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

zeal posted:

Relatively quiet night due to storms/people needing to go back to their jobs. But apparently the PMC Asymmetric Solutions was hired to add some of their ex-special forces goons to the security detail of an unnamed individual visiting St. Louis this week.

Huh. Any ideas who the high profile visitor is

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

So we are agreeing?

Yeah, sorry for confusion. It was meant as defence to the action of putting cuffs on.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

You should engage with us, it isn't a bad thing. Most of us are nice.
I will, however, leave you with this: https://www.google.com/search?q=fir...fficial&spell=1

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 21, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

7thBatallion posted:

Huh. Any ideas who the high profile visitor is

Holder? Maybe?

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
I know it's not a popular sentiment around here but I also want to put it out there that most cops - and by that I mean a big majority - aren't thrilled about killing people. These are people who suffer sever post traumatic stresa disorder and I've met people who have had severe life changing scars from their encounters with death. Terrible shootings absolutely happen, Mike Brown is a prime example, but unless Wilson is insane he has to be carrying that poo poo with him. He deserves to be locked up for a long time.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Holder should have has his feds protecting him. Not some goons.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

I know it's not a popular sentiment around here but I also want to put it out there that most cops - and by that I mean a big majority - aren't thrilled about killing people. These are people who suffer sever post traumatic stresa disorder and I've met people who have had severe life changing scars from their encounters with death. Terrible shootings absolutely happen, Mike Brown is a prime example, but unless Wilson is insane he has to be carrying that poo poo with him. He deserves to be locked up for a long time.

Why, it's almost as though training police to respond to any threatening situation with deadly force can only lead to bad consequences!

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

zeal posted:

Why, it's almost as though training police to respond to any threatening situation with deadly force can only lead to bad consequences!

They aren't trained this way though.

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
Phone posting double post.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

Vahakyla posted:

In Finland, to facilitate better limb shot success, police cars have an MP5. Limb shots with pistol are still practiced in case of no access to the support weapon.

Other countries have similar concepts of support weapons.
A great portion of american police do have access to patrol rifles.

I do agree that with the mandated trigger pull of the NYPD managing a limb shots would be hard in a fast situation. This is not an argument against using deadly force in a mitigated way, but an argument against retardation.

You are bringing up Finland which I assume is your country which is almost half of what the population of NYC is. What is a mandated trigger pull for the NYPD? Can you not understand that whatever euro bullshit you project on a country of 300,000,000+ isn't the same as your poo poo?

Support rifles? They are called trunk guns and they aren't made for subduing people by shooting them in the limbs

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

They aren't trained this way though.
Not teaching enough alternatives nor enforcing discipline can lead to the same practical effect where deadly force becomes too accepted.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

You are bringing up Finland which I assume is your country which is almost half of what the population of NYC is. What is a mandated trigger pull for the NYPD? Can you not understand that whatever euro bullshit you project on a country of 300,000,000+ isn't the same as your poo poo?

Support rifles? They are called trunk guns and they aren't made for subduing people by shooting them in the limbs

American exceptionalism will never die! Rar.

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Yeah.

This sort of risk averse analysis is one of the biggest problems with policing in the US. If you go into the 99% of situations where you aren't entering a duel with Doc Holiday with this mentality, then it seems to me like you almost need a more acute decision making ability than if you were more complacent about your safety. The fact that the vast majority of the time this calculus will end up with a citizen in danger, rather than yourself, might work out if you are police. I don't think for a second it makes the situation in itself any safer, though.

itsgotmetoo fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 21, 2014

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pohl posted:

American exceptionalism will never die! Rar.

America is so exceptional that it must be bad at everything, because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The European Union has 505 million people.

Still less combined dicharges than Major american cities.

This does not take into account the asian lethality-averse tactics.
Also, the patrol support weapons are not used for subduing. They are discharged when lethal force is justified. They just do not aim to kilm but to disable.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread