Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

Rick posted:

It's a good video, I actually found that before posting, and I followed it exactly but it still doesn't appear. My theory is that SBS is pulling them from another location because it does poo poo like that.

Very possible, SBS is a bit of a mess in general. I dont know it that well so maybe try the tech discussion thread. I think i saw a Microsoft thead there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Supernorn posted:

It's pretty obnoxious, honestly. Which is fine if you didn't have to see it on every other post.

Use an ad-blocker to block it. :shrug:

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

The baby in the old picture is now old enough to post here.

That babby is that guy,

Tiggum posted:

Use an ad-blocker to block it. :shrug:

That is the real reason to use an Ad-Blocker: to block seizure inducing avatars. And other ones.

pupdive fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 20, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If I have a folder on my desktop computer and a copy of that folder on my laptop, is there a program I can use to periodically do the following?
  • Compare the contents of the two folders.
  • If a file exists on the desktop but not the laptop, copy it across.
  • If a file exists on the laptop but not the desktop, delete it.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Tiggum posted:

If I have a folder on my desktop computer and a copy of that folder on my laptop, is there a program I can use to periodically do the following?
  • Compare the contents of the two folders.
  • If a file exists on the desktop but not the laptop, copy it across.
  • If a file exists on the laptop but not the desktop, delete it.

SyncBackFree has been my go-to program for this. It can also check if a file has changed in one folder, and match the older one to the newer one.

I'm not sure if it can handle separate PCs, but it's worth a shot.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bvoid posted:

SyncBackFree has been my go-to program for this. It can also check if a file has changed in one folder, and match the older one to the newer one.

I'm not sure if it can handle separate PCs, but it's worth a shot.
It can handle network paths.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Can someone help me find an article I read a few years ago? It was about this small town where all the teens dressed like 1950s or 1960s teens, drove classic cars and hung out at a diner. I think it was located in the middle of nowhere USA (not sure about that last part; could have been Russia).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There was an article earlier this year about the Rockabilly culture, was that it?

http://www.wired.com/2014/01/throwback-thursday-living-modern-life-like-1955/?cid=co17136444

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I don't think so. I remember it mentioned an entire town of teens/young adults dressing in that style, not necessarily a subculture across America. Those pictures are neat though, so thank you.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do I need to tell my employer that I'm taking hydrocodone? I work manual pallet jacks, electric pallet jacks, and walking stackers at work. I have to move up to 1 ton of materials, stacked several feet high 5 nights a week.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have a math-type problem, and I don't even know how to phrase the question to ask Google. I have a set of bins in a 2-D histogram, as shown by the gray lines below. What I am trying to do is take shapes (always quadrilaterals) like the red and green ones shown and distribute them into the correct bins of the histogram. To do this I need to figure out the fraction of each colored quadrilateral that falls into each gray rectangle. Which means figuring out the overlap between the two layers. I cannot possibly be the first person to have this problem; surely it is solved somewhere with an algorithm or a subroutine. What do I search for to find it? (Edit: I know exactly the coordinates of the corners of the colored shapes, which means I have access to the equations for the line segments connecting them.)

Edit 2: stupid file attachment system doesn't work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 20, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

SlayVus posted:

Do I need to tell my employer that I'm taking hydrocodone? I work manual pallet jacks, electric pallet jacks, and walking stackers at work. I have to move up to 1 ton of materials, stacked several feet high 5 nights a week.

Don't have an answer but if you're acclimated to it and it doesn't affect your motor skills, I don't see why. However, if you had to file a worker's comp claim, it might still screw you on the drug test whether it's prescribed or not. Curious to hear a more knowledgeable person's answer.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hummingbirds posted:

Don't have an answer but if you're acclimated to it and it doesn't affect your motor skills, I don't see why. However, if you had to file a worker's comp claim, it might still screw you on the drug test whether it's prescribed or not. Curious to hear a more knowledgeable person's answer.

It makes me nauseous and drowsy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like the very definition of heavy machinery, which that stuff always advises against operating in the warnings.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

This is a question best answered by a lawyer or your state department of labor (assuming you live in the U.S.).

KoB
May 1, 2009

Doghouse posted:

2. My contacts are just a total mess. They are a bunch of google and google+ contacts, many with several entries for one name. Is there any kind of app or program I can use to help me clean these up?

Through a web browser on a desktop, google.com/contacts

Under "More" choose "Find and merge duplicates" which should eliminate a lot of them.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
I have lots...and lots of MicroSD cards. I have a couple of decent cases that keep them protected from damage and stuff, but I'm trying to figure out either a label that will work (probably won't due to the size constraints of MicroSD slots) or an alternative I could use to try to keep an idea of what's on what.

Thoughts/Ideas?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Milton posted:

I have lots...and lots of MicroSD cards. I have a couple of decent cases that keep them protected from damage and stuff, but I'm trying to figure out either a label that will work (probably won't due to the size constraints of MicroSD slots) or an alternative I could use to try to keep an idea of what's on what.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Colored nail polish with a txt document on your most used PC/flash drive with what each color drive contains.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Comrade Milton posted:

Thoughts/Ideas?

If the contents aren't changing, you could just write on them with an appropriate marker (probably should not use any sort of hard-point pen) with pigment that will show up against the black that most microSD cards are.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

SlayVus posted:

It's worth noting that you have described things in an unusual way. When you say you move up to 1 to material, you probably meant you move loads weighing up to 1 ton, and thus are operating heavy machinery.

I worked in a warehouse loading trucks with loads that weighed no more than 200 pounds at a time by hand and handtruck, but moved up to 80 tons of material a night. At no point was I operating heavy machinery, but over a night's work, I moved lots of tonnage by hand. Two and three man teams, loading 3-4 trucks with 60-80 ton loads, by hand.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Comrade Milton posted:

Thoughts/Ideas?

Paint markers are the way to go for writing on black, because they do not make thick layers and yet cover. Always let the paint dry at least over night or it will wander onto the contacts.

FOr a while I was going with a bunch of tiny USB adaptors I bought on eBay that housed the cards for both ID and reading purposes. I think I bought a batch of 20 of them for like $1.50 each, and they had lots of room to write on with paint markers. The only problem with them is they fall apart over time, when you are constantly loading and unloading them,

And they seem to have some hard to define size limitations.

SD cards (MicroSD) cards are supposed to have size problems at 2 GB, and at 32 GB, and from what little I can find out, this is supposedly based on the file system only (FAT16, FAT32, exFAT). But IME, the actual host device also jams things up too. I can use, but only really slowly, the 32 GB cards with the USB adaptors. The 8 GB and 2 GB I had no problems with. 64 GB just did not work, independent of the file system. Which makes no sense according to the internet, but there you go.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pupdive posted:

It's worth noting that you have described things in an unusual way. When you say you move up to 1 to material, you probably meant you move loads weighing up to 1 ton, and thus are operating heavy machinery.

I worked in a warehouse loading trucks with loads that weighed no more than 200 pounds at a time by hand and handtruck, but moved up to 80 tons of material a night. At no point was I operating heavy machinery, but over a night's work, I moved lots of tonnage by hand. Two and three man teams, loading 3-4 trucks with 60-80 ton loads, by hand.

I work at walmart as an overnight stocker. We sometimes get 700 lb pallets of watermelons, stacked three high. This means that there's 2,100 lbs of watermelon stacked up to almost 8' in the air(I pulled this with a hand jack). Pallets of water can be stacked 2 high with one pallet consisting of about 1,800 lbs of water(3,500 lbs double stacked).

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 20, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

pupdive posted:

SD cards (MicroSD) cards are supposed to have size problems at 2 GB, and at 32 GB, and from what little I can find out, this is supposedly based on the file system only (FAT16, FAT32, exFAT). But IME, the actual host device also jams things up too. I can use, but only really slowly, the 32 GB cards with the USB adaptors. The 8 GB and 2 GB I had no problems with. 64 GB just did not work, independent of the file system. Which makes no sense according to the internet, but there you go.
The different formats have a name: SD (=<2GB), SDHC (=<32GB) and SDXC (=<2TB).

If you buy something on the vague promise it wil read (Micro)SD cards, you can't count on it supporting cards over 2GB. Even though the card's shape is the same and readers are backwards compatible, the cards aren't. The long and short of it is that if you want to read a Micro SDHC card, you need an SDHC compatible card reader, simple as that.

Anyway, I'm no authority on this, but it isn't weird you're experiencing problems and it definitely isn't just based on the filesystem. The only weird thing is that you've got some things working halfassedly where they aren't expected to work at all.

Skim through the overview here if you want to know more about the differences between the standards.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a way to deny access to a router? Sometimes the extender I use just loses connection to the router, and to fix it requires rebooting the router. However there is sometimes an issue where a roomie is in the room with the router and gets all pissy cause you disconnect them by resetting it. So what I would do is reboot it through the router settings on my PC. But lately its like whenever that problem happens and I try to access the router settings it just never loads up. I can browse the internet just fine, but I just can't access the router. I've tried accessing it on 2 computers now and I can't get to it. I'm suspecting a roommate has figured out the router was being rebooted remotely and has made it so I can no longer access it remotely.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'd ask them if they did that thing.

Edit: and also tell them before I just dumped them off the internet.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Leal posted:

Is there a way to deny access to a router? Sometimes the extender I use just loses connection to the router, and to fix it requires rebooting the router. However there is sometimes an issue where a roomie is in the room with the router and gets all pissy cause you disconnect them by resetting it. So what I would do is reboot it through the router settings on my PC. But lately its like whenever that problem happens and I try to access the router settings it just never loads up. I can browse the internet just fine, but I just can't access the router. I've tried accessing it on 2 computers now and I can't get to it. I'm suspecting a roommate has figured out the router was being rebooted remotely and has made it so I can no longer access it remotely.

Depends on the router, it is usually trivially easy to block remote access if you have half a clue as to what you're doing. In most modern routers you can lock out access from non-specified IP addresses, then assign your computer that IP address so only you have remote access to the router. It is kind of a dick move though.

You might want to sit down and talk to your roommate and work out both your passive-aggressive tendencies.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 21, 2014

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Grundulum posted:

I have a math-type problem, and I don't even know how to phrase the question to ask Google. I have a set of bins in a 2-D histogram, as shown by the gray lines below. What I am trying to do is take shapes (always quadrilaterals) like the red and green ones shown and distribute them into the correct bins of the histogram. To do this I need to figure out the fraction of each colored quadrilateral that falls into each gray rectangle. Which means figuring out the overlap between the two layers. I cannot possibly be the first person to have this problem; surely it is solved somewhere with an algorithm or a subroutine. What do I search for to find it? (Edit: I know exactly the coordinates of the corners of the colored shapes, which means I have access to the equations for the line segments connecting them.)

Basically the quadrilateral and each bin is a polygon, so you want to calculate the intersection between two polygons and then find the area of the resulting polygon. Look for polygon clipping algorithms (2D graphics requires the ability to clip polygons to a viewport). Both the clipping and the area calculations are probably easier turned into lists of triangles since you just want to add up areas. The fact that your polygons are convex probably simplifies matters.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Grundulum posted:

Are you trying to write a computer program to do this for you? Unless it's for homework, I'd google "polygon intersection library," and see if you can find a library function that'll compute the union of two polygons. Because I'm lazy, and trying to get something done instead of being efficient, I'd calculate the union of the quadrangle and each bin in the (minX..maxX, minY..maxY) set. (Some of these will be zero.)

If you are doing this for homework, I kind of think that you'll just have to slog through it, and deal with each edge case separately. I'm not sure that there's a better option.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

You might want to sit down and talk to your roommate and work out both your passive-aggressive tendencies.

We are past passive aggressiveness, I'm just doing it remotely so I wont have to go out and deal with them. I have already forewarned people before I reset the router, I have brought up that I also pay my share of the internet, I told them that when this issue comes around everyone upstairs has to connect directly to the router which gives us the 56k experience. They don't care cause it inconveniences them. So instead of having to go out, tell them "Hey I'm having problems, I'm gonna reboot it. Dude, I pay my loving part of the internet bill, let me reboot. Its just going to be a drat minute, let me reboot it. I'm rebooting it, unless you're talking to your dying mother over skype its not that important" I do a remote reboot.

The only solution is to move out, but I'm currently bound by a lease. But till then I need to know if its possible that someone is intentionally stopping connections to the router so I can bring it up to the superintendent. And it seems to be true, I'm gonna go ask the other people upstairs to write down when the net goes out and pin this one person who I think is doing it cause these problems always come up when he comes home from work.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
I've got one more (thanks for the help earlier, guys!) about finding a product within the US.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291066461189

Anyone know of any place in the US that sells these? I'd rather not pay to import a chair from Japan, but I like the convertible nature of this chair thing and would like to grab one. Anybody?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you racist if you think a racist thought? If you're not racist and think that racist thought what should you do?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Although this is possible, it may also be a problem with the router. I had an ADSL modem/router that started having problems and would need to be rebooted every few days, and after a while it became impossible to access the router settings. In that case it definitely wasn't someone else on the network screwing with me, because I was the only one. Switching it off and on again continued to work fine, but I'd have been in trouble if I needed to change my internet password or anything.

Turtlicious posted:

Are you racist if you think a racist thought? If you're not racist and think that racist thought what should you do?
If you think a racist thing then you are racist, but don't let it worry you too much, pretty much everyone is. The fact that you realised it was racist means that you've identified the problem and can work on being less racist in the future.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Leal posted:

We are past passive aggressiveness, I'm just doing it remotely so I wont have to go out and deal with them. I have already forewarned people before I reset the router, I have brought up that I also pay my share of the internet, I told them that when this issue comes around everyone upstairs has to connect directly to the router which gives us the 56k experience. They don't care cause it inconveniences them. So instead of having to go out, tell them "Hey I'm having problems, I'm gonna reboot it. Dude, I pay my loving part of the internet bill, let me reboot. Its just going to be a drat minute, let me reboot it. I'm rebooting it, unless you're talking to your dying mother over skype its not that important" I do a remote reboot.

The only solution is to move out, but I'm currently bound by a lease. But till then I need to know if its possible that someone is intentionally stopping connections to the router so I can bring it up to the superintendent. And it seems to be true, I'm gonna go ask the other people upstairs to write down when the net goes out and pin this one person who I think is doing it cause these problems always come up when he comes home from work.

How many roommates and neighbors are sharing access off that router? Have you considered the possibility that one of your roommates with the router info locked both of you out? Again, I would suggest you just talk to your landlord, and stop with the passive aggressiveness and have a direct conversation. It seems like there is a distinct possibility that neither one of you set out to gently caress each other over.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

As someone who paid 20k to learn how to cook.

Call yourself a cook, call yourself a chef if you had a management position.

Thanks for the help, I did that and added a one-sentence description of my duties below.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tiggum posted:

If you think a racist thing then you are racist, but don't let it worry you too much, pretty much everyone is. The fact that you realised it was racist means that you've identified the problem and can work on being less racist in the future.

It would depend on what that thing was. That's a pretty surface-level take on it. Just because you think something doesn't mean you believe it or would ever act on those thoughts. People think terrible things all the time. It only matters if they still believe them in the cold light of day, or they do something about them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

No, racism necessarily involves harm (racism=prejudice+power). If you're alone on a desert island, thinking lovely thoughts about Jews, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

This is also the reason why minority people can't be racist. If you have no power to harm the majority group or member, then you can only be mean, not racist.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess this a dnd discussion, but that's a bunch of bullshit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I guess this a dnd discussion, but that's a bunch of bullshit.

Whatever. You're expressing the pretty typical conflict between a colloquial definition of racism and an analytically useful (and uncontroversial) one. If you want to call people who are being assholes by arbitrarily discriminating against people based on race, regardless of the harm they do or their power relationship, "racist", go right ahead. Everyone will understand you.

If you actually want to understand why racism is a bad thing and how it actually works in our society, "everyone's at least a little bit racist" is not a productive thought.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

tuyop posted:

No, racism necessarily involves harm (racism=prejudice+power). If you're alone on a desert island, thinking lovely thoughts about Jews, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

This is also the reason why minority people can't be racist. If you have no power to harm the majority group or member, then you can only be mean, not racist.

This is the dumbest thing I've read all day (granted, it's early). You can't redefine racism just so minorities conveniently can't be racist. Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior to another. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know tuyop, not everything a college professor tells you is the Truth.