Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

So I just finished reading this http://www.oneyearwithaferrari.com/

About one dude's year with a F355. He did it as an experiment to see how expensive it would be. He includes some things in his costs like a couple of track days and a weekend trip with the Ferrari club that I would not fold into cost of the car. It did need half of its valves replaced and some new sensors in the exhaust (and a clutch job that he DIYed).

Total cost: $13.77 per mile

God drat. You can lease a new ferrari for 5 bucks a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

This is nothing new and I don't know why people are so buttmad about it. Anyone else remember the old "Stupid Newbie" default avatars?
I was quite happy with the old "Stupid Newbie" image. I've consistently failed to think of anything better - but if they're going to mess them around constantly, I may get a proper avatar just so it's consistent.

So I guess it's achieving exactly what they intended.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The best part is that you only got "Stupid Newbie" if you registered and then posted before a certain time had elapsed. I didn't have it when I first started posting, because I lurked for like two weeks.

It always kinda changes, like when I signed up I was able to have some text (but no picture) but if you left it blank you'd get that avatar, now I think you dont get theopportunity to put in text,but I don't register everyday soo

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

CharlesM posted:

It always kinda changes, like when I signed up I was able to have some text (but no picture) but if you left it blank you'd get that avatar, now I think you dont get theopportunity to put in text,but I don't register everyday soo

I guess that makes sense why I don't have an avatar. I had my brother buy my account for me(lacking a credit card at the time), so I ended up with random text that has always confused me. Then I got the burnouts tag since I spent too much time in TCC.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

Bring back "I post [img-timeline]"

I was wondering why people were so annoyed over the "STUPID POST" image, too. Now, I know. Back to 'turn off avatars' if I ever get bored and browse when in public.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Everyone on mazdaroadster is an unsalvageable moron. I pulled the dash out of the junk NB2 to specifically sell it to some moron who wants to do a totally SICK NASTY half dash.

quote:

Ehh I dont think Im gunna do it. If I do Ill be doing a complete custom dash at this point. THanks though.

GONNA BE SICKKKKKKKKKK. I thank him for wasting my time.

quote:

Oh, I figured you had it lying around or were taking it off anyways for some other job. Why dont you need it? Is it coming from a project car? I just dont understand why you took it off just for me and not for something else? What are you doing to your car that it doesnt need a dash?

Hey Comrade Questions, stop asking questions you don't want to know the answer to.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

I was quite happy with the old "Stupid Newbie" image. I've consistently failed to think of anything better - but if they're going to mess them around constantly, I may get a proper avatar just so it's consistent.

So I guess it's achieving exactly what they intended.

It's now Toiletlord? :D

Suits this site really well

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I wasn't "bothered" by Robin Williams' suicide, but I do enjoy a tribute, and I love anything melodysheep does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2e_M06YDyY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Smashed the gently caress out of my thumb today at work moving particle board shelves around. I was on the very last piece of the job and it slipped out of my grip and slammed across my hand. Thank god this happened in midair. If my had had been resting on something I would have no doubt broken some bones. Anyways, big ol' contusion under the nail, large visible blood patch beneath the nail and a throbbing that got worse as time passed. I finally couldn't handle it, watched a few Youtube videos and prepped myself for surgery.

I grabbed a small drill bit, rubbing alcohol, peroxide and a lighter and went to work. Heated and sterilized the bit and slowly turned it into the nail at the center of the dark blotch, applying pressure as I went. Took a little bit as I was scared of going to far too fast but well, this was the result

:nws:[url]http://i.imgur.com/wziP3Cwl.jpg:nws:[/url] WHAT THE gently caress DUDE

Edit: About half an hour later it throbbed a little again so I gave it another go and spun right through and tapped the soft tissue slightly. Drained a ton more that time. Will probably have to hit it one more time tonight.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 21, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What kind of person goes "hey maybe these people on the internet would enjoy this picture of a loving hole I drilled through my fingernail bleeding everywhere yeah that sounds like a good idea"

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm loving eating gently caress you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Extra posted:

What kind of person goes "hey maybe these people on the internet would enjoy this picture of a loving hole I drilled through my fingernail bleeding everywhere yeah that sounds like a good idea"

I enjoyed it!

:bigtran:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The solvent bath in my friend's garage killed the wart on my finger, I am pleased

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If I'd hurt myself working on the car you guys would be eating this poo poo up.

rscott posted:

The solvent bath in my friend's garage killed the wart on my finger, I am pleased

We require before and after pics

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wanted to install a buzzer in the beetle to let me know that I've left my lights on, but I went full retard for about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to cleanly sneak in a SPDT relay in there along with the piezo buzzer. Then I had a dopeslap moment and remembered that piezoelectric buzzers act like diodes, and just threw the anode on the light circuit and the cathode on the ignition switch circuit. Lights on ignition on, no buzz (12v both circuits). Lights on ignition off it buzzes, as it grounds through the ignition switch/housing/fuel gauge/whatever. Ignition on lights off it does nothing because it acts like a diode.

Why it took me 20 full, frantic planning minutes to remember I don't know.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

If I'd hurt myself working on the car you guys would be eating this poo poo up.

Sinestro posted:

I'm loving eating gently caress you.

Seriously, NWS/link/spoiler that poo poo.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Eh, didn't phase me. But to each their own :) Looks like a hell of an fun injury man, hope it heals well. Soak your thumb in warm salt water every couple of hours for the next few days, helps kill bacteria and promotes healing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry guys, I'm hopped up on pain killers and adrenaline so I'm honestly not thinking straight at all as I just decided that squeezing my thumb was a good idea.

It's in my eyes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It's in my eyes.

It's in all of our eyes. :gonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's in all of our eyes. :gonk:

I sorry!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Sorry guys, I'm hopped up on pain killers and adrenaline so I'm honestly not thinking straight at all as I just decided that squeezing my thumb was a good idea.

It's in my eyes.

Something something exwife on her monthly joke.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5N9bumg-Z8

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Blood for the blood god

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

:nws:[url]http://i.imgur.com/wziP3Cwl.jpg:nws:[/url] WHAT THE gently caress DUDE

Would.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Geirskogul posted:

Wanted to install a buzzer in the beetle to let me know that I've left my lights on, but I went full retard for about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to cleanly sneak in a SPDT relay in there along with the piezo buzzer. Then I had a dopeslap moment and remembered that piezoelectric buzzers act like diodes, and just threw the anode on the light circuit and the cathode on the ignition switch circuit. Lights on ignition on, no buzz (12v both circuits). Lights on ignition off it buzzes, as it grounds through the ignition switch/housing/fuel gauge/whatever. Ignition on lights off it does nothing because it acts like a diode.

Why it took me 20 full, frantic planning minutes to remember I don't know.

Less annoying than a buzzer is just put a relay on the light circuit and then wire the light switch off the accessory position on the ignition instead of the battery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaintVagrant posted:

Blood for the blood god

I just changed the bandage and put a tiny bit of pressure along the back of the nail and it started oozing blood from the entire nail bed. Looks like I'll be losing the nail pretty quick.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Rhyno posted:

I just changed the bandage and put a tiny bit of pressure along the back of the nail and it started oozing blood from the entire nail bed. Looks like I'll be losing the nail pretty quick.

What exactly is the motivation for the drilling of the nail? Every finger or toe I've crushed has painlessly sorted itself after a good year or so of ugly.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Holy poo poo what does it take for people to turn their lights on? I was in a thunderstorm on a six lane highway tonight and a black Ford Edge was almost complete invisible with their lights off. I flashed my brights at them from behind and when that didnt work, got in front of them and turned my tail lights on and off. This was the kind of rain where your windshield wipers are on full blast.

They pulled alongside me and I opened my window in the pouring rain and pointed at my headlights to the person in the passenger seat while flashing my brights. This just enraged them and they spent the next 5km or so behind me flashing their brights at me angrily. I got to my exit and just called the provincial police in frustration as they instantly disappeared into the darkness.

Car manufacturers should get a gigantic government safety dick in their rear end for having gauges that illuminate when the lights are off.

8ender fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 21, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terminus Est posted:

What exactly is the motivation for the drilling of the nail? Every finger or toe I've crushed has painlessly sorted itself after a good year or so of ugly.

When at the doctor is only hurt a but. Two or so hours later it hurt so bad the pain was shooting up my arm. The common relief for a nail injury is to relieve the pressure. Hell they offered to do it at the doctor but I didn't think it was needed at the time. It's only a little sore now compared to earlier.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, USAA's online banking has something that lets you figure out the easiest way to get out of debt, based on your debt, interest, payments, etc.

It's depressing when you realize your total debt is nearly $16k. That's just student loans and my car loan, though my student loans are in economic hardship deferment for the next year (and the deferment can be renewed twice). And the debt tool basically said :lol: once I entered everything. :sigh:

At least the worst of my debt was charged off years ago (and is legally uncollectable at this point in my state; anything over 4 years means all they can do is call me or send the occasional letter in my state... most of it is around 6-7 years old, and I've had the worst removed from my credit history through disputes).

Oddest thing - I got a check in the mail from my doctor the other day. Written on it was "Refund for <date of last visit in June>", no other explanation. Looked it up on my insurer's website; they filed the claim 2 weeks ago, while the hospital I was at a few weeks ago filed all of their claims within 4 days (5 claims total, one was filed the same day). I knew I'd maxed out my out of pocket for the year while there, but I didn't realize my doctor's office was so slow to file claims.

And yes, I've got applications in all over the place. And I've limited my availability at the Hut significantly to help in a job search (oddly, I'm averaging more per hour with the limited availability I've given them; averaging about the same as I was when I worked full time). I do plan a real 2 week notice, but I need to get a Real Job asap. We're losing people in droves, including management, and I have no plans to stick around long enough to see the dust settle. Asst mgr got demoted to shift mgr and kicked to another store (after being demoted from GM); 2 of 3 shift managers put in their 2 week notice; 2 cooks put in their 2 weeks notice (and another just quit showing up after he got another job), we've lost so many drivers that nearly 1/3 of our deliveries are handled by managers now (even our bartender is delivering occasionally, along with waitstaff), and a good chunk of our orders are 1 1/2 to 2 hours old when they get delivered - and our main closer got locked up on felony gun charges, on top of felony warrants and convictions that didn't show up on our lovely background check.

At least now the GM is realizing just how much drugs are loving this place over. But with at least half the staff dealing various substances (mostly lovely coke, plenty of crappy weed, and heroin shows up now and then) and about -50 applications rolling in per month... (the GM does his share of drugs too; I've smoked my share of pot with him and gotten drunk with him after close plenty; but he's finally admitting that he has no business doing drugs if he's a GM, at least not at work).

tl;dr this place is loving toxic for everyone involved, including the customers. We have a very well deserved 1 star rating on Yelp. Area manager refuses to let me transfer to another store, so..

Rhyno posted:

When at the doctor is only hurt a but. Two or so hours later it hurt so bad the pain was shooting up my arm. The common relief for a nail injury is to relieve the pressure. Hell they offered to do it at the doctor but I didn't think it was needed at the time. It's only a little sore now compared to earlier.

Jesus Tittyfucking Christ I would have had the doctor do it, at least then I'M NOT DRILLING INTO MY OWN loving FINGER gently caress THAT poo poo I'D RATHER CIRCUMCISE MYSELF (well, if my parents hadn't made that decision for me 36 years ago). And they might have at least been able to numb it a bit first.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 21, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Would it be patronising to put

quote:

By removing and inserting the terminals one at a time the risk of wiring the connector backwards is reduced.

on a guide being sent to dealers telling them how to swap a connector over?
It's not supposed to be

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

Would it be patronising to put

on a guide being sent to dealers telling them how to swap a connector over?
It's not supposed to be
Patronising is when they get it wrong all the same, and you resend it printed as one of those baby books with chewable pages.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You are all pansies and drilling a nail doesn't hurt at all. It is just dead keratin, this is like children freaking out the first time their fingernails or hair gets cut.

The only reason to do it is to drain pressure out from under it, which feels a lot better afterwards. It would of course hurt like hell if you did it on a healthy nail. So, uh, don't?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

You are all pansies and drilling a nail doesn't hurt at all. It is just dead keratin, this is like children freaking out the first time their fingernails or hair gets cut.

The only reason to do it is to drain pressure out from under it, which feels a lot better afterwards. It would of course hurt like hell if you did it on a healthy nail. So, uh, don't?

* Right before he shoves a drill bit through his thumb.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Measly Twerp posted:

* Right before he shoves a drill bit through his thumb.

You obviously don't use a drill press or *shudder* hand drill for this, that would be insane.

Drill it by hand, slowly. Or poke a heated needle through.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Never liked the heated needle, it works but i always seem to have much gentler results with using the corner of a brand new safety blade or xacto tip and just spin it around till it gets through. Or skip the process and just remove the nail entirely with a jagged chunk of rusty steel like that one dude in the mech failures thread did.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

some texas redneck posted:

Welp, USAA's online banking has something that lets you figure out the easiest way to get out of debt, based on your debt, interest, payments, etc.

I have had nothing but good experiences with USAA when using any of their services/tools. They are by far the best bank/insurance company I have used. Also they are not paying the government 16 billion to settle unsavory practices so there's that as well (BoA sucks).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
USAA is the poo poo. Their app is really good too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

some texas redneck posted:

It's depressing when you realize your total debt is nearly $16k.

Wait till you own a home or other bullshit. Then the 16k looks like a drop in the bucket. (Kastiens house is excluded)

:sigh: debt sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Wait till you own a home or other bullshit. Then the 16k looks like a drop in the bucket. (Kastiens house is excluded)

:sigh: debt sucks.

Does having a house worth of student loans count. After 3 years and 60k I'm almost at the original loan amounts. :suicide:

• Locked thread