Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Cops need to engage situations in groups so they can't use the excuse that they are afraid for their life so they had to they had to shoot everyone on the scene. I get it, their lives are in danger, and bullets are the best gamble in neutralizing a target. Anyone crazy enough to challenge a gun probably requires a gun. However, if they roll in groups, they can use non lethal force and take control of a situation more effectively and with less individual risk.

My biggest problem with the Mike Brown situation is that a single cop decided to confront some guys and had to resort to lethal means. Sure, if the conflict is 2 vs 1, a gun evens things up. But if he had back-up or some discretion, the situation could have turned out differently. In fact, I can't think a reason for a group of police officers to gun down an unarmed target outside of racism. Insert sarcastic remark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

Pohl posted:

American exceptionalism will never die! Rar.

Disregard my name and previous post history but I really don't understand why euro goons feel the need to talk about how Sven disarmed Sven by offering him some smoked haddock and a bottle of poo poo. And then go on and on about the police forces in small town America.

poo poo was hosed with the shooting of Michael Brown. If poo poo works out the officer gets tried and convicted for probably a max of 7 years.

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

Pohl posted:

You should engage with us, it isn't a bad thing. Most of us are nice.
I will, however, leave you with this: https://www.google.com/search?q=fir...fficial&spell=1
One of the first results for me was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHR1lH8N-eY

This guy is badass. Shoots himself and then goes on talking about "this is why you never play with guns".

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Chicago Death Rate posted:

Disregard my name and previous post history but I really don't understand why euro goons feel the need to talk about how Sven disarmed Sven by offering him some smoked haddock and a bottle of poo poo. And then go on and on about the police forces in small town America.

poo poo was hosed with the shooting of Michael Brown. If poo poo works out the officer gets tried and convicted for probably a max of 7 years.

Because in this country, retardation is not only accepted, but encouraged.

How many times do you need to be told that in absolute numbers and percentages, there are less deaths to bystanders, cops and perps.

Europe has big cities like NYC, too. Europe has farm towns, top. Europe has suburbs, too.

NYC is not special.

Tokyo police have a bigger city at their hand and do not feel the need to blast people with fifteen bullets toward center mass.
WHAT NOW

Also, what does my nationality matter?
For what it is worth, I live in South Carolina. My wife is an american ex-cop turned teacher who agrees with me.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 21, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Because in this country, retardation is not only accepted, but encouraged.

How many times do you need to be told that in absolute numbers and percentages, there are less deaths to bystanders, cops and perps.

Europe has big cities like NYC, too. Europe has farm towns, top. Europe has suburbs, too.

NYC is not special.

Tokyo police have a bigger city at their hand and do not feel the need to blast people with fifteen bullets toward center mass.
WHAT NOW

Europe does not have an incredibly over-armed and mostly under-trained populace.

WHAT NOW

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kalman posted:

Europe does not have an incredibly over-armed and mostly under-trained populace.

WHAT NOW

This sounds like an argument for gun control.

Also explain Switzerland.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Kalman posted:

WHAT NOW

That's fine. Isolating incidents where the perp is armed and hostile and comparing only those, it still shows that literally everybody in the situation is better off outside the US.

Caros
May 14, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

Which I assume most posters would agree with.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SinistralRifleman posted:

complying with whatever orders they give you. Even if an arrest is unlawful
Yea dude, just do what you are told. No questions asked. The nice guys in processing will make sure things are handled properly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think what Chicago was saying is that the cops will just kill more people and reign in terror if they are not allowed to lay suppressing fire on a newspaper delivery truck.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Caros posted:

Which I assume most posters would agree with.

I don't think you've read a gun control thread on SA recently, or ever.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Brace for SedanChair.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wadjamaloo posted:

Yea dude, just do what you are told. No questions asked. The nice guys in processing will make sure things are handled properly.

The alternative is getting tasered, maced, batoned or shot on the scene? This is pragmatic advice, not something I necessarily agree with,

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

FAUXTON posted:

I think what Chicago was saying is that the cops will just kill more people and reign in terror if they are not allowed to lay suppressing fire on a newspaper delivery truck.

I keep typing to a quote but I know by that time It is ready for post it is overwhelmed by bullshit regarding gun laws, homicide rates, and reigns of terror by the local PDs

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

You are bringing up Finland which I assume is your country which is almost half of what the population of NYC is. What is a mandated trigger pull for the NYPD? Can you not understand that whatever euro bullshit you project on a country of 300,000,000+ isn't the same as your poo poo?

Support rifles? They are called trunk guns and they aren't made for subduing people by shooting them in the limbs

That's why he was talking about per-capita instead of raw numbers you dumb poo poo.

But hey look at how mad you are about the idea of treating suspects like human beings instead of being Judge Dredd because of some vague "eurotrash" jingoism.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nimrod posted:

This guy is badass. Shoots himself and then goes on talking about "this is why you never play with guns".

See, if he had loaded the gun with blanks and did that on purpose that'd be badass. Granted he handled that about as well as anyone possibly could but he still shot himself during a lecture on gun safety.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

420DD Butts posted:

100% agreed!

And you'll note that I added "mostly under-trained." Unless I'm mistaken, Switzerland requires significant training to go along with their guns. (And also doesn't allow people to have ammo to go with the guns, which probably helps a lot.)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

420DD Butts posted:

Most people lock their guns up except going to the range, rather than open-carrying to Chipotle, also strict ammunition control.

Also probably not massive inequality and oppression.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Zeitgueist posted:

Most people lock their guns up except going to the range, rather than open-carrying to Chipotle, also strict ammunition control.

I'd say it's probably the latter moreso than the former. How often does anyone hear about criminals firing indiscriminately at the cops?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wadjamaloo posted:

Yea dude, just do what you are told.
The cop is already there, so your options are down to "Do what you're told" and "Get hosed up."

Unless you're Goku or something then I guess you could bust a sick Kamehameha Wave.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Pohl posted:

When police unload a full clip or even clips on a victim, where do the bullets go? You are worried about a missed shot at a limb, but you don't seem to care about the magnitude of missed bullets from a barrage of fire.

This is the craziest part of the Powell suicide by cop. He looks back to check the bystanders behind him and moves to change the angle so they won't be shot when he advances on the cops.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To the guy that said cops are trained to treat every situation with deadly force:

The law requires meeting like force with like force. Even for cops.

Physical force is any touching of another without consent...up to the point it becomes...

Deadly force is anything like to or capable of causing serious injury or death

Facing weapons is the most clear cut time when deadly force can be justified. Deadly force can be justified if one is facing a drastically physically superior opponent, superior numbers, or has already sustained injury that reduced the ability to defend with physical force or made them more susceptible to serious physical injury.

Shooting an unarmed person is the worst position to be in because to the average person off the street it's the least defendable. I only know of one civilian self defense shooting of an unarmed person in my state where it didn't go to trial because the whole thing was on video (notice a trend here?). Google officer Chrisman Phoenix if you want to see a cop that was convicted for killing an unarmed person.

~1500 people are killed with bare hands by unarmed people annually per the FBI uniform crime report. I want you to consider is it possible an unarmed person poses a potential deadly threat? Where does the line between physical and deadly force go? I do know when I put people without much training into scenarios they go to deadly force faster simply because they are scared and don't understand where that line is.

Why do police get treated differently when they screw up? Because unlike average citizens they were compelled by their office to actively engage in situations that the rest of us would best avoid. One thing I thought about this event was why not stay in the car and call for back up after the initial struggle? If I got punched I the face and the guy left...I'd call for help. But I'm also not a cop and I'm viewing it from a personal risk standpoint as a private citizen. Even if the shooting is totally unjustified, the circumstances drop it to manslaughter rather than murder.

SinistralRifleman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 21, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

If everybody in switzerland started carrying fully loaded rifles instead of leaving them at home, tomorrow would still be the same, though.

They would not make an underclass appear out of nowhere nor would they start fetishizing violence or dehumanizing criminals.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Nimrod posted:

Then he filed a lawsuit against the federal government. Go team.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SinistralRifleman posted:

The alternative is getting tasered, maced, batoned or shot on the scene? This is pragmatic advice, not something I necessarily agree with,
The alternative is getting tasered, maced, batoned, or worse in jail when you ask about your miranda rights or what you are charged with.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
Zeitgueist do you own any weapons?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

I don't give a poo poo about your name, your posts I won't just ignore, however.

Here, I made this post in the police thread a long time ago:

Pohl" posted:

The thing to understand is, as a cop, you are not going to die today. When you wake up, put on your uniform and gun, you are not going to die.
The statistics show that, what they don't show is the toll that cops experience day in and day out thinking they may die. Because they might. I mean, we all might, but cops have a job that puts them at a supposedly higher risk than everybody else. It doesn't matter if they are going to die, they all actually believe they might. That is how we train them, because we train them like soldiers. Never let your guard down, everyone is a scumbag.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

You do not get to ask that question. He made no authoritarian comments on the practical use or technique with firearms.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Yes my Hanzo katana.

vvv Also that

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

If those whips and flails he uses on black girls count, then yes he does.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I keep typing to a quote but I know by that time It is ready for post it is overwhelmed by bullshit regarding gun laws, homicide rates, and reigns of terror by the local PDs

Who cares, just do it. It is late and there aren't a lot of posts coming in.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Kaytwo posted:

If those whips and flails he uses on black girls count, then yes he does.

What about disarming wits and a killer smile?

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

Republicans posted:

See, if he had loaded the gun with blanks and did that on purpose that'd be badass. Granted he handled that about as well as anyone possibly could but he still shot himself during a lecture on gun safety.

Mostly I just meant that in reference to him going on with the lecture. Pretty sure all those students learned a pretty good lesson. Sorry though, I wasn't trying to glorify the guy. What he did was definitely stupid and dangerous.

Pohl posted:

Then he filed a lawsuit against the federal government. Go team.
I'm pretty sure that's the American Way of doing things. Avoid responsibility and get a nice check if you can.

VVV In america we don't need statistics or precedence. We have gut feelings.

Nimrod fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 21, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Vahakyla posted:

What about disarming wits and a killer smile?

What's fantastic is watching folks argue about policing techniques based on population when the way better argument was on different social structure in the US and Europe.

Also watching goons explain how training people to limb suspects and treat them like human beings is impossible despite it being entirely possible and currently done.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Zeitgueist posted:

What's fantastic is watching folks argue about policing techniques based on population when the way better argument was on different social structure in the US and Europe.

Also watching goons explain how training people to limb suspects and treat them like human beings is impossible despite it being entirely possible and currently done.

What's fantastic is your unwavering hypocrisy on everything from race to white flight continues to be unparalleled.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
This is a copy paste for Pohl after I realized i was too drunk to type anymore. IDK what you said

As terrible as it sounds, this is the way you have to feel about life. Everyone is a scumbag. Don't ever feel like they can't gun you down, or stab you in the loving neck. You live in a real chill world if you can't realize this poo poo happens on a daily basis with or without CNN and your god drat podcasts or tumblr feeds.

But on the flipside you cant be worried about that be happy and jovial to every waking moment. Love you Pohl.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Kaytwo posted:

What's fantastic is your unwavering hypocrisy on everything from race to white flight continues to be unparalleled.

If you want to call me out go over to the chat thread instead of making GBS threads up this one.

If you want to argue Mike Brown stuff, rock on.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is a copy paste for Pohl after I realized i was too drunk to type anymore. IDK what you said

As terrible as it sounds, this is the way you have to feel about life. Everyone is a scumbag. Don't ever feel like they can't gun you down, or stab you in the loving neck. You live in a real chill world if you can't realize this poo poo happens on a daily basis with or without CNN and your god drat podcasts or tumblr feeds.

But on the flipside you cant be worried about that be happy and jovial to every waking moment. Love you Pohl.

So shoot first, shoot the next seventeen times, ask why you're being persecuted for shooting a shoplifter.

Also it's great that you're drunkposting, it explains the angry-drunk way you feel cops are entitled to act. Surely, if a cop hassles you, you had it coming, right?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

FAUXTON posted:

So shoot first, shoot the next seventeen times, ask why you're being persecuted for shooting a shoplifter.

Listen kid, I don't live in your Tumblr world, in my world sometimes a guy has to be shot 20 times and there is literally no other way to do things.

drat naive little shits, I'm just telling you like it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zeitgueist posted:

.Also watching goons explain how training people to limb suspects and treat them like human beings is impossible despite it being entirely possible and currently done.

Shooting for limbs is irresponsible when effective less lethal and non lethal tools exist. If you don't want to kill people tase them or use OC spray.

• Locked thread