Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Thanks to PS Plus, got this three days ago. I'm having such fun on trophy mopup on my playthrough to Save D6 this go-around; time to play all the balalaikas and guitars and accordions and pianos whee. Getting all the diary entries is going to be a bitch, though.

Only thing I wish I could change would be the knife mechanics. I smash R3 only to have the swift-moving aliens dodge the attack %80 of the time. Thank goodness you don't rely on the knife for anything unless you refuse to restart a chapter after you run out of bullets in the church area. Heheh.

Edit: I think it'd be helpful to note that the "kill no one but the flamethrower at the end" is just a rumour. Get enough karma and you can slaughter most of the people in this game. Just give bullets to a couple beggars, play the first two instruments, save the two villains, don't kill all the watchmen, see the entire show, give the teddybear back, and pass up the people who surrender. You're golden past all that. You can kill everyone in Chase, Red Square, and D6, the devs have stated those chapters are clear for you to mass-murder without karmic reprisal. http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Moral_Points

Does taking the air filters from the corpses count as negative moral points and/or a kill? I've seen someone talk about that but I have no idea why it would count against you. You need air to breathe, dammit.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
If you knockout someone, then steal their gasmask in a gaseous zone, I think it does count as a kill. Though I am not positive since I have yet to actually complete a no kill/good run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think you accumulate negative moral points for killing people- you get positive points for no-killing certain sections of the game (like the Reich sections near the start of the game), but I'm fairly sure it doesn't matter if you kill one person, or everyone in those sections- you just don't get the no-kill point.

e) there are certain characters which give you negative points for killing, but they're usually sort of obvious- like the Reich soldier who's hiding in the meat locker after getting bullied.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought the karma system and how it ties into what ending you get was kinda wonky in general. I mean, I can understand why doing things like murdering a dude that's surrendered would make the Dark Ones pissy at you, but why is getting a strip tease considered a Bad Thing that would make the Dark Ones consider leaving you to blow yourself up? I mean, seriously. Are the Dark Ones puritans or something?

I think it would've worked better if what you did while the baby Dark One was with you would count towards whether you got the good ending or not. It'd be much easier to game, but it makes more sense for him to tell his buddies at D6 either that Artyom and the Rangers are cool dudes that should be spared or that they're all irredeemable assholes that should get blown up based on how you act around him. It's cliche, but it would work better than getting spared because you listened into thugs talking at Venice and went into lots of secret areas.

SynchronizedCocks
Aug 22, 2004

If a zombie has wooden flooring... does they put it down themselves, or pay someone else to do it?

closeted republican posted:

, but why is getting a strip tease considered a Bad Thing that would make the Dark Ones consider leaving you to blow yourself up? I mean, seriously. Are the Dark Ones puritans or something?

Maybe it's for wasting time and money, when you should be following Pavel? Anyway, the only time I remember definitely losing moral points was when I stole some money from a guy sleeping on a boat in Venice, and I got the darkened screen effect, opposite to the flash of light you get when you gain a point. That was the only time I saw it, I seem to remember only seeing it a couple of times in 2033 as well. Once just for lingering too long while eavesdropping on a conversation in Exhibition. The other I think because I shot a ghost or a corpse or something.
It's weird that you don't see the negative effect often, but I like the system overall, it's a bit unpredictable, I didn't notice it at first when I played 2033, it just sort of lurks in the background leaving it up to you how you play the game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The new prices for the Metro Redux versions seem a little absurd even with the discounts.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gently caress it, if it's really 2033 with Last Light weapons and combat, I'd pay $25 for that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

gently caress it, if it's really 2033 with Last Light weapons and combat, I'd pay $25 for that.

Paying $12.50 for small changes for Last Light Redux is what I was talking about, it honestly seems like more of a patch for me than anything else.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Bumping this because I recently bought both games on the Steam sale, not knowing anything about them. I've beaten 2033 but not Last Light yet (location spoiler)--I just got the car from Hammersmith-- and I haven't really read the thread after the OP for fear of spoilers, so sorry if there's a lot here I'm about to repeat.

But holy poo poo.

2033 was fun and atmospheric, but hampered by some really awful stealth mechanics. A quicksave feature would've helped severely, since after the ninth or tenth time my knives bounced off armor and I got aim-botted through walls, I started making this face:

And starting the game on Ranger Easy didn't help any, either.

But that said: Last Light is one of the best, if not the best, game I've ever played. Great characters, great set-pieces, great themes. The mechanics are much much better than 2033, almost Thief-esque in the stealth department, and the combat is a blast. Serious early-game spoiler here regarding a supporting character: When Pavel betrayed me I was seriously bummed. Probably the worst a game has made me feel in a long time. I mean, I liked that guy. And we went through so much poo poo together. Escaped from the Nazis. Had an acid trip in an airplane. Fought those loving armored spider bug things I'm terrified of. Watched the ladies dance at the theater. Then he had to up and gently caress me over. Now I'm on my way to find him, and while I don't know what the game has planned for me, I still can't decide if I want to kill him or not when we do finally meet up. If that's an option.

But anyway. Yeah. I haven't been this engrossed in a game, staying up well into the AM to play, since Half-Life 2. And the news that they're updating the graphics and mechanics of 2033 to LL really made my day.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 29, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Update re: above character spoiler:

This loving game. Killing him, okay, that I might maybe have done. But I couldn't leave him in that tunnel of the dead or whatever creepy-as-gently caress thing that was. Disingenuous dickhead or not, he's a great great character.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, I thought he'd end up betraying me, after knowing what the reds were like in the first game, but he's a pretty good character. I killed him too, leaving someone to rot like that doesn't sit right with me

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I rather liked the 2033 stealth. Mostly because (with two exceptions) you weren't really expected to stealth your way through an entire section - just take down a few dudes before a firefight. It also didn't have s standardized rules that work even under ludicrous circumstances, and the enemies were fairly active and curious.

By comparison, LL stealth is incredibly simplistic and piss easy stealth (don't watch this 3Romeo). I spent like half the game just drifting from one guy to another, knocking them out without even bothering with distractions or lights.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's a bump, but there's no other place to ask this: how do you beat the tank in the Reich faction mission? I shoot it up and shoot it up and shoot it up, but at some point it'll fire a rocket and bang, that's it. Am I supposed to be using the grenade launcher instead of the minigun?

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
I can't remember exactly but I believe that that tank suffers from red glowing parts and you should have the railgun/volt gun thing to shoot them with.

Anyone else getting really excited to replay 2033 with the LL engine? Being able to explore the world without having to fight the mechanics of the game as well as the enemies sounds like fun.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can't wait to play Frontline with all the tricks from Last Light :getin:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Should I go ahead and buy Metro Redux if I have only gotten a short way into Metro:2033? I started playing the original Metro 2033 earlier this year, got as far as the big underground bridge, then stopped in order to play some different games.

I'll probably just play Metro:2033 one time through, so if Metro Redux offered a better version of 2033 than the original then I considered perhaps I should start over with Metro Redux. I watched a short youtube video of a guy comparing some differences in the original 2033 and the Redux version, such as having ice cover some levels and some differences in some of the mutant encounters. But I don't know if his video was comprehensive, as it just covered two outdoor building areas.

Here's the short video I watched with the comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3DEee3mdw

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

nnnotime posted:

Should I go ahead and buy Metro Redux if I have only gotten a short way into Metro:2033? I started playing the original Metro 2033 earlier this year, got as far as the big underground bridge, then stopped in order to play some different games.

I'll probably just play Metro:2033 one time through, so if Metro Redux offered a better version of 2033 than the original then I considered perhaps I should start over with Metro Redux. I watched a short youtube video of a guy comparing some differences in the original 2033 and the Redux version, such as having ice cover some levels and some differences in some of the mutant encounters. But I don't know if his video was comprehensive, as it just covered two outdoor building areas.

Here's the short video I watched with the comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3DEee3mdw

I would absolutely get redux and play that. I mean, it's not out yet, but it promises to be 2033 with the gameplay improvements (especially stealth etc)from Last Light, which sounds really truly excellent.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
From what I've seen, it looks like 2033:R has:

code:
+    all weapons/attachments from M:LL
+    updated character models
+    global illumination tech
-    far fewer instances of volumetric fog and lights
+    better textures
+    terrain tessellation
+/-  gameplay mechanics from M:LL
+/-  first person cinematics
+/-  cheaper DoF implementation
If you're on PC and you already own 2033, you can grab 2033:R for only $12.50 on Steam. I'd say unless you're a purist, you'd probably be well suited with 2033:R.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The lady in the Developer Pack DLC. :stare:

I didn't know that 2033 Redux will get all the LL weapons.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, 2033 isn't bad but its very rough around the edges but when you consider it was 4A Games first game and all the poo poo they had to put up with being from the ukraine its a wonder they we're able to produce such an amazing game. But Last Light's mechanics are quite a bit better so I would recommend Redux for 2033 at least, but probably not Last Light because the improvements are a bit less noticable unless you don't have the original game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/15/4a-games-working-conditions/

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So Last Light is 4.99 on steam right now. Ranger DLC is also on sale. I can't really see too much of what I missing if I get Last Light regular version rather than the Redux. Seems like it is just some graphical upgrades and bonus DLC. Am I basically right?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

So Last Light is 4.99 on steam right now. Ranger DLC is also on sale. I can't really see too much of what I missing if I get Last Light regular version rather than the Redux. Seems like it is just some graphical upgrades and bonus DLC. Am I basically right?

Not even that. There is a new game mode that is more survival horror and full body animations.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Leb posted:

From what I've seen, it looks like 2033:R has:

code:
+    all weapons/attachments from M:LL
+    updated character models
+    global illumination tech
-    far fewer instances of volumetric fog and lights
+    better textures
+    terrain tessellation
+/-  gameplay mechanics from M:LL
+/-  first person cinematics
+/-  cheaper DoF implementation
If you're on PC and you already own 2033, you can grab 2033:R for only $12.50 on Steam. I'd say unless you're a purist, you'd probably be well suited with 2033:R.

Sphrin posted:

Yeah, 2033 isn't bad but its very rough around the edges but when you consider it was 4A Games first game and all the poo poo they had to put up with being from the ukraine its a wonder they we're able to produce such an amazing game. But Last Light's mechanics are quite a bit better so I would recommend Redux for 2033 at least, but probably not Last Light because the improvements are a bit less noticable unless you don't have the original game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/15/4a-games-working-conditions/
Ok, you both convinced me to buy Redux, thanks for the info. I'm not that much of a purist but I do prefer a more polished (stated with extra :wotwot::wotwot::wotwot:) gameplay experience , much like how mod-makers added gameplay value to the STALKER series (e.g., STALKER Complete).

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Yeah, very minor differences between LL and its Redux version basically just a few new animations, ability to check watch and ammo, and 2 new modes to add extra difficulty. If not for the sale I would say go for redux but $5 is hard to beat.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Sphrin posted:

Yeah, very minor differences between LL and its Redux version basically just a few new animations, ability to check watch and ammo, and 2 new modes to add extra difficulty. If not for the sale I would say go for redux but $5 is hard to beat.

I will mention that if you're playing on Ranger mode in M:LL, the inability to check your currently selected consumable, the number of filters you have and the amount of ammunition you have is really annoying and I'm approximately 1-2% annoyed that they're charging you $12.50 for that functionality in LL:R. :unsmith:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Leb posted:

I will mention that if you're playing on Ranger mode in M:LL, the inability to check your currently selected consumable, the number of filters you have and the amount of ammunition you have is really annoying and I'm approximately 1-2% annoyed that they're charging you $12.50 for that functionality in LL:R. :unsmith:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume until I see otherwise that "check watch and ammo" doesn't even include filter numbers/consumable selection.

(In retrospect, I feel that LL's ranger mode was a bit anemic, especially as paid DLC.)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

While the improvements are certainly minor (like having all the stuff in the campaign), I liked these games enough that I just see M:LL Redux as an excuse to give them more money. Since they are also moving from Ukraine to Malta due to obvious reasons, that's even more of a reason for me.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Azran posted:

Since they are also moving from Ukraine to Malta due to obvious reasons, that's even more of a reason for me.

Woah, that makes sense, but I hadn't known that it was actually a thing.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I hope they didnt add in the LL voice actors for Artyom and Khan, because they were damned terrible. In fact all the LL voice acting was a step dwon from 2033, which wasn't winning any awards in that category to begin with.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Uhlman's was terrible. Are the voices in Russian better?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Azran posted:

Uhlman's was terrible. Are the voices in Russian better?

They seem to be, but then I don't know the language so hard to tell how good the acting quality is.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wouldn't it be smart to pick up last light on that sale? If you do want the Redux edition, you can pay an extra 12 bucks but if you buy Redux by itself, it's 25 bucks.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Only a real metro citizen would play with Russian audio, w or w/o subs.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Russian voices in Metro are generally really good (I speak Russian so it's not just a "sounds good" thing)

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
In Redux, apparently if you play in Survival mode you get the original Metro 2033 watch, while if you play in Spartan you get the Last Light watch. Cool touch.

Anyone know if they've made changes to Metro 2033's Ranger mode? I didn't play Last Light in Ranger because they gave it a two-weapon limit instead of a three-weapon limit. I'm hoping they haven't put that two-weapon limit into Metro 2033's ranger mode.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There's a bit of a preload on steam for redux, but only 150 megs at the moment.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It would be nice to play 2033 again with Last Light's gameplay quality of life improvements, but on the other hand some of Last Light's shaders are a little janky on my computer. I'll at least consider Redux, I guess.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So, I just noticed I never, ever used MGR as actual ammo during either of my Metro playthroughs. How effective are they in comparison to normal rounds? I'm watching Komodo Saurian's "kill everything run" and he's one shotting bandits in 2033 with MGR in Ranger mode :stare:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Azran posted:

So, I just noticed I never, ever used MGR as actual ammo during either of my Metro playthroughs. How effective are they in comparison to normal rounds? I'm watching Komodo Saurian's "kill everything run" and he's one shotting bandits in 2033 with MGR in Ranger mode :stare:

Everything does more damage and has less health on Ranger mode, enemies included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
On ranger mode you really only use them for boss stuff, if even then. It's been a while since I played 2033 but I remember using them in the part with the... thing in the reactor. Also because I had nothing left to buy at that point. For human targets you are better served with good marksmanship.

• Locked thread