Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Look at a pannier that'll fit whatever bag you use now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fknlo posted:

I just bought a bicycle and I'm looking for a bag to carry a camera and some bicycle things with me. Would the Lowepro Hatchback be decent for that? Anything else I should be looking at?

Bicycling with a backpack gets really old fast.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

fknlo posted:

I just bought a bicycle and I'm looking for a bag to carry a camera and some bicycle things with me. Would the Lowepro Hatchback be decent for that? Anything else I should be looking at?

I put my camera gear in a crumpler very busy man, then put that in an ortlieb waterproof pannier bag which works really well. The crumpler keeps the camera padded, and the pannier keeps it rainproof. I've tried using the crumpler as intended in messenger bag form, but it swings about a lot and obv. isn't as waterproof. You can hold a lot in that kind of bag- I usually carry a d5100, 35mm 1.8, 18-55 kit, 55-300, macbook pro 13", chargers for both the laptop and the camera, and anything I need for work. I commute 10km like that almost daily and I've had no problems come rain or shine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

I don't know about bicycling with it but I've had this in the 22L size for hiking and have loved it. Upper pocket is surprisingly roomy and can hold a rolled up windbreaker without a problem. You will want to spray it with waterproofer though, or be ready to get that rain cover out. On its own, it's only okay at best in a light to steady rain. Didn't soak the interior pocket but enough to make me worry a bit about the camera and backup phone battery I kept inside.

The tablet pockets are huge. I can get a 12.2" tablet inside (but without its case) and I'd imagine some very thin laptops might fit.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

fknlo posted:

Whatever you go with, get the smallest size you can get away with and pack only what you really, really need. Weight adds up stupidly fast when you're on a bike, especially if you're carrying it on your back.

I've got a Timbuk2 Snoop. I have the small, but it's still big enough that it can fit my 7D, 24-70, 70-200, and a flash. That's a loving ridiculous amount of weight to carry in a messenger bag on a bike; so while I technically have room to fit a decent amount of gear, I usually have to force myself to pack much, much lighter than if I was using my normal backpack.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!
Just impulse bought the SpiderPro. Hope it is worth it, anyone here have any experience with it?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Howdy there cowboy.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Just impulse bought the SpiderPro. Hope it is worth it, anyone here have any experience with it?

I've worked with several people who use them and they seem to put strain on your back and make you look like a huge loving dork. Use a shoulder strap like a normal person.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

make you look like a huge loving dork.

as if having a DSLR itself doesn't do that already these days :v:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I've worked with several people who use them and they seem to put strain on your back and make you look like a huge loving dork. Use a shoulder strap like a normal person.

Thank you.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Looking for a soft bag that will carry the following (assume caps and hood for all lenses):

- Pentax K-30 w/ 18-55mm kit lens
- Vivitar Series 1 70-200mm lens
- 50mm prime lens (eventually)
- 200mm prime lens (eventually)
- compact tripod

Lowepro suggests the Photo Traveler 150, but does anyone have other suggestions? General use for the bag will be walkabout photography, maybe some hiking.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I just got a nice 135mm manual focus lens for my Sony, and I'm finding more and more that I need some sort of hand/palm rest for my left hand when manual focusing. Ideally I'd like something screw-in so I can mount it under the body or under the adapter I'm using for the lens, so I have somewhere to put my palm while adjusting the focus ring. Does anyone know of anything like this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hope it comes with a fanny pack because it really should.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of getting a Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW pack. It seems like this might fit sideways under an airline seat? Anyone tried this? Any comments on the bag?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW pack. It seems like this might fit sideways under an airline seat? Anyone tried this? Any comments on the bag?

20x16x9 are the dimensions of a bag that will fit under the seat on any US carrier, so it should, yes:

quote:

Exterior Dimensions 10.6 x 6.7 x 19.3" (27 x 17 x 49cm)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Great! Now if I can only get my duffle under 50lbs this might actually work.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I found a WP-DC90 waterproof case for a Canon A610/A620 at a Goodwill store! And I coincidentally have probably that camera! (Now I hump a D7000 around, the Powershot is from when I was poor and had the newspaper-issue DSLR most of the time.)

Unfortunately, I have an A630, which looks identical but is just enough bigger that it doesn't fit. Should I sell the case and make $50 profit, or sell the A630 (it's starting to get flaky, the lens cover needs help opening sometimes) and buy an A620? I've never done any underwater photography, but I could.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

conspicuous-consumption.jpg

Antique tan neck/shoulder strap from Tap & Dye and a small convex pink ivory soft release from Artisan Obscura. Would've preferred a closer color match, but the pink ivory ended up being a lot redder than the ones shown on the website. Still love the actual pattern, though--it's got an almost pearlescent sheen as the light reflects off the texture of the wood.

The Black Rapid strap on my D7000 is utilitarian and awesome, but the X100S just begs for some classy accessories.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

404notfound posted:

Antique tan neck/shoulder strap from Tap & Dye and a small convex pink ivory soft release from Artisan Obscura. Would've preferred a closer color match, but the pink ivory ended up being a lot redder than the ones shown on the website. Still love the actual pattern, though--it's got an almost pearlescent sheen as the light reflects off the texture of the wood.

The Black Rapid strap on my D7000 is utilitarian and awesome, but the X100S just begs for some classy accessories.

Whelp, looks like I'll be replacing my plain boring rear end Abrahamsson soft release with some of those baller wood ones

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
lol

Artisan Obscura posted:

We worked with the chemists at 3M to find a super sticky, super durable, adhesive that will withstand the test of time and keep up with daily intensive use without altering, damaging, or leaving any permanent residue on the camera.

Translation: We bought some 3M VHB tape, probably from Amazon.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Looking to get a smaller bag for street photography during a vacation coming up & beyond. I like how slings seem easy to put on and off (Looking at the Lowepro Transit Sling). Any reason to not get them over a standard backpack? I'm probably only going to carry a DSLR and max 2 lenses.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

404notfound posted:

Do soft releases actually do anything? see them on X100s' and other cameras with the 'mechanical' style shutter releases.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Theoretically, adding a bump on top of your shutter release makes it so your finger doesn't have to press down as far and/or makes it so you can "squeeze" instead of press, so you can hold the camera steadier. But I just see it as camera bling.

There are super cheap, if rather plain looking, options all over eBay (less than $5 with shipping), but they're usually coming from China so they can take weeks to arrive. I just decided to splurge with a silly wooden one.

The one thing you actually do need to watch out for is that different cameras seem to have different threading sizes. A small release that fits the X100(S) and Leicas won't even screw into something with a larger hole, and the large ones will fit into smaller holes but will stick out by an extra millimeter or two.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I find that soft releases let me hold the camera in a more comfortable way and trigger the shutter with a larger part of my finger than just the tip. Which let's me have a firmer grip on the actual camera body. Examples:

Grip with a softie:

Without:

I won't use a camera that has a threaded release without one anymore. The super cheap chinese ones are generally thin and uncomfortable, I would skip most of them unless the photos clearly show it in profile. A decent one is $15 or $20 just buy one and if you don't like it not like you are out a ton of money.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Slowhanded posted:

Looking to get a smaller bag for street photography during a vacation coming up & beyond. I like how slings seem easy to put on and off (Looking at the Lowepro Transit Sling). Any reason to not get them over a standard backpack? I'm probably only going to carry a DSLR and max 2 lenses.

If that's all you're carrying, try a shoulder bag like the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home. It'll allow the fastest access to your gear and it's easier to maneuver through crowds with.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

HPL posted:

If that's all you're carrying, try a shoulder bag like the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home. It'll allow the fastest access to your gear and it's easier to maneuver through crowds with.

Agree. Any of the small Domke bags work, also. Shoulder bags are much better than slings, for me.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I have a really small Domke waxed canvas bag that's just big enough for a mirrorless and two lenses + miscellaneous. A smaller DSLR + two lenses would fit! but more likely it would be a big DSLR + one lens. They make other sizes too.

Mine is an older version of this guy I think http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-51S

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Shoulder bags are much better than slings, for me.

Why's that? I'm curious because I currently use a small Sony shoulder bag with a relatively tiny amount of weight in it (a7r + lens), but after a full day out and about I start to get a dull ache in my shoulder. I love the quick access and small size though, so I've recently bought a small sling that I'm hoping will be more comfy which I'm waiting for in the mail.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well keep in mind the sling bag is still only hanging on one shoulder (typically your left, but some can be reversed), so you'll still have it to deal with. That said, most do have very well-padded straps, so it might be less of an issue.

I like sling bags because the one I have holds very close to my back and doesn't shift around at all when I'm hiking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slowhanded posted:

I really love the poo poo out of my Kata 3N1-33. That is way too big for you, but they make a much smaller version, which might be fine if you need to carry things that aren't camera related.
What I like is that I can use it as a backpack for longer distances and a sling bag for times when you want quick access. Get a used one as apparently Kata (now manfrotto) bag quality has dropped.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jimlad posted:

Why's that? I'm curious because I currently use a small Sony shoulder bag with a relatively tiny amount of weight in it (a7r + lens), but after a full day out and about I start to get a dull ache in my shoulder. I love the quick access and small size though, so I've recently bought a small sling that I'm hoping will be more comfy which I'm waiting for in the mail.

When I'm actively using the bag, that is, camera in and out, I carry it on one shoulder, but swap it around. When carrying for long term, not removing frequently, it can go over neck like a purse held against snatching. No real strain. Had my retrospective 10 with gripped 5Diii and 70-200 2.8 with me at Denver zoo today for four hours, no problem.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

nm posted:

I really love the poo poo out of my Kata 3N1-33. That is way too big for you, but they make a much smaller version, which might be fine if you need to carry things that aren't camera related.
What I like is that I can use it as a backpack for longer distances and a sling bag for times when you want quick access. Get a used one as apparently Kata (now manfrotto) bag quality has dropped.

Kata's are awesome I had one years ago and I just picked up a new Bumblebee 210 on ebay a couple months ago. I use it as my "I need to carry non photography stuff along with my DSLR bag". It holds my camera and a couple lenses and has room up top for other stuff. I use it for when I have to travel long distances on foot (don't need every piece of gear I have) or if I'm flying somewhere and don't plan on heavy shooting.

Other than that I use my Think Tank Retrospective 20 which holds most of my gear and is comfortable to carry around for a couple hours at a time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What would you guys recommend for a bag that can fit both a 13.3" rMBP and a X-E1 with a 35mm lens. Ideally the camera would be quick-access. I'd like to stay away from backpacks.

My biggest issue with not taking photos is that my XE-1 ends up getting buried at the bottom of my lovely eBay messenger bag under cables, books, and papers and I never really take it out.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Atticus_1354 posted:

Does anyone use a lowepro sport 200 AW and have any thoughts on it? I am about to buy one with my REI refund and discount if no one has anything bad to say. I will mostly be using it for day hikes around the ranch I work on so the lack of extra space is not an issue. I am open to other options from REI.

I have one and like it. Hiked in it and it did not bother me, plenty of room for my 50D, 10-22mm and 40mm pancake.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got a 200 AW last month, and really liked it. Good fit, easy access to things, nice straps and external pockets, seemed pretty tough for the 3 weeks I was using it.

Only problem for me was it was a shade too small for me (storage wise). Had to take the grip off my 6D for sure. Even then, a 6D + 70-300L and a 17-40L was a tight squeeze in the lower gear section. I was using a blackrapid strap and you could only zip up the bottom pocket if the strap was folded exactly right.

Anyone have recommendations for something like the 200 AW but just a couple of inches wider? I really like the combo of 50:50 camera bag/day pack plus the hydration pouch.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Ordered a Tamron 150-600 today. Does anyone have one these or another 600mm lens that could recommend a backpack that can accommodate a lens that size?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

neckbeard posted:

Ordered a Tamron 150-600 today. Does anyone have one these or another 600mm lens that could recommend a backpack that can accommodate a lens that size?

Just now seeing this but I know LowePro makes a few backpacks designed for long lenses like that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Amazon's got Pelican cases as their deal today.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Amazon's got Pelican cases as their deal today.

holy poo poo yes :slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

neckbeard posted:

I ended up buying a Think Tank Streetwalker for it, though I didn't do much research beforehand. It's a solid bag, and I can stuff the 150-600, 70-200 f/4 and 17-50 along with a 70D, plus an RX100M3 and chargers/batteries for both. It's a comfortable backpack, but kind of annoying to access if you're used to shoulder bags.

• Locked thread