Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Coldforge posted:

My pups' been here almost a week and he's settling in nicely. He's had his first vet visit, has started to eat regularly from his bowl (though he still needs encouragement), and has a very healthy energy level for play time.

He's developing one bad (?) habit, though, which is chewing and sometimes swallowing bits of tan bark. Is this safe for him to do? He has plenty of chew toys available, and he uses them, but he'll sometimes just drop whatever he's doing (even playing fetch with his chuck it, or chewing on his toys) and grab a piece of wood to gnaw on instead.

If it's not safe, what's the best way to get him to stop?

Chewing on wood isn't great. I know of a few dogs who have choked on wood splinters and have heard a handful of stories of dogs who have died as a result. Your dog will probably be fine but honestly it's not worth the risk.

Approach it the way you would any other inappropriate chewing. Manage his environment so there's minimal temptation, interrupt, redirect to something more appropriate like another game or another chew toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

a life less posted:

Chewing on wood isn't great. I know of a few dogs who have choked on wood splinters and have heard a handful of stories of dogs who have died as a result. Your dog will probably be fine but honestly it's not worth the risk.

Approach it the way you would any other inappropriate chewing. Manage his environment so there's minimal temptation, interrupt, redirect to something more appropriate like another game or another chew toy.

I have been trying to get him back to playing with the toy, or switching to a different one that hasn't been seen as recently, but he's not cooperating. Most of my back yard is covered with the bark, so it's fairly hard to minimize his contact with it :(

Should I just play with him indoors until he learns to (hopefully) prefer the toys?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Sab0921 posted:

Does anyone here have recommendations for pet insurance? I have a dog that's getting older (10) -- and I'm headed out of town for a month (with a house sitter behind) so I wanted to ensure that he is covered in case anything crazy happens when we're gone.

A lot of people have a lot of strong opinions on health insurance, both pro and against, but I'm for it; especially after my puppy got a 1700 dollar obstruction that, had we just been paying 25 dollars a month, we would have been mostly reimbursed for. We have PetPlan(gopetplan.com) now, which is all of my researching through various insurance companies tends to have the best benefits, such as including hereditary issues at no extra charge and not stopping coverage for certain conditions once your pet reaches a certain age. Another one I've heard good things about is Trupanion. I would avoid VPI.

However, pet insurance for a dog that old is gonna be expensive no matter what plan you go with. Good luck!

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
A few weeks ago I got a little 10 month old mutt, he's an awesome dog and spends a good chunk of the day sleeping/just chilling on his chair. We've had a couple of issues though particularly with him kind of biting (mouthing?). It's never hurt or broken the skin but I'd still like to put a stop to it.

To that end I had a dog trainer come over today, he was highly recommended by the local animal shelter and is focused on positive training methods (encouraged me to carry on with the clicker training I've been doing). My dog really warmed up to him after a lot of initial barking.

Anyway my only concern was the way he told me to teach 'no' which basically involved calmly saying no and giving a somewhat forceful tug/jerk on the leash immediately after he'd done something wrong. It didn't seem to upset the dog but I really don't like doing it. Should I just suck it up or is there a better way of doing this? I guess I'm a little concerned he'll become afraid/resentful of me and or the leash.

Dong Swanson fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 14, 2014

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Most dogs can tolerate a bit of tugging and nagging with the leash without serious fallout. However, it's not really ideal, as you surmised. When I used to help teach classes I'd have clients come up to me and tell me that they were having trouble teaching their dog what "no" meant, and I used to think it was really funny. It seems like such a simple idea to us, but for dogs it's an abstract concept. "No" can mean for them to stop barking at the mailman, stop struggling during a bath, stop jumping on grandma, etc. I've had much more success training an alternative behaviour instead -- instead of jumping, try sitting to greet, etc.

I do use 'no' with my dogs every once in a blue moon, but I don't rely on it to control behaviour. If you feel like you're overusing it, you probably are -- it'd be wise to try something else instead.

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
Thanks for the advice, besides a hamster about fifteen years ago he's the only pet I've ever had and I'm pretty worried about screwing him up somehow.

Did try the suggestion in the OP, though honestly not very consistently - when I do leave the room just after it happens, beyond a rather confused look he doesn't seem to care that I'm gone. Sometimes he's pretty affectionate licking and following me around and he enjoys the clicker training and going out for walks but for the most part he just lounges around and seems quite happy for me to be doing stuff in another room.

Also tried the high pitched yelping but other than feeling like a bit of a twat it didn't have any effect. I suppose I never really gave the leaving the room thing a fair shot, hopefully if I'm more consistent with it he'll pick up what I want from him.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Dong Swanson posted:

Thanks for the advice, besides a hamster about fifteen years ago he's the only pet I've ever had and I'm pretty worried about screwing him up somehow.

Did try the suggestion in the OP, though honestly not very consistently - when I do leave the room just after it happens, beyond a rather confused look he doesn't seem to care that I'm gone. Sometimes he's pretty affectionate licking and following me around and he enjoys the clicker training and going out for walks but for the most part he just lounges around and seems quite happy for me to be doing stuff in another room.

Also tried the high pitched yelping but other than feeling like a bit of a twat it didn't have any effect. I suppose I never really gave the leaving the room thing a fair shot, hopefully if I'm more consistent with it he'll pick up what I want from him.

Sometimes trading him a toy, redirecting his biteyness toward and appropriate outlet, or leaving the room as you've been doing can work. You can also praise or reward him for different degrees of biteyness, like licking or gentle mouthing so that eventually he learns "hey mouthing with no teeth is okay!". Its a gradual process and its going to take a while.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014
Please god help me.

We've just gotten a 4 month old catahoula puppy from a lady who couldn't keep him anymore. She split from her ex and couldn't take care of him. Picked him up last Friday and holy loving poo poo, I feel like I'm in over my head.

She said that he never had any accidents, which is bullshit. I think he may have a bladder issue and I'm making an appointment for the vet tomorrow. I've lost count as to how many times he is peeing a day, both inside and outside the house. He knows to go to the door, but sometimes doesn't make it outside. I'm taking him out 3 times an hour or more some days. He always pees when he gets out there, sometimes 2 or 3 times in an outside session, but this has been going on for days.

Also, she loving fed him off the table. I know this not because she told me, but because I cannot make it through a meal without pushing him off of me or basically begging him to go lay down every two seconds until I lose my cool and yell at him. When he's not begging, he's nervously pacing the floor trying to eat pieces of absolutely nothing, debris or otherwise off of the floor to supplement the table food he isn't getting.

I think he has anxiety issues because the moment we put him in his big, puppy proof room to leave for work, he cries and howls so loud that you can hear him outside with all of the doors and windows closed. This goes on for an undetermined amount of time and he refuses to even go in that room unless picked up and put in there anymore, despite trying to make it a positive place by playing with him in there and going in there with him.

Additionally, even though I was told he is "wonderful" with cats and played with the previous owners cat all the time, he won't stop chasing my cat, pawing at him, following him around the house, etc. "Leave it" seems to work but when he decides he's going to do something, he just does it and doesn't care what you do, say or how loud you get. That's to be expected I guess, but holy gently caress they did not do ANY training with him whatsoever.

He gets walked twice a day plus we play with him inside, throw his Kong around, hide treats in it, play fetch, etc. He gets exercise, copious amounts of attention, fed and watered at normal intervals, etc, etc. but there's just so much loving broken about this puppy that I'm at my god drat wits end trying to fix it all. My wife too. Please tell me that this will get better. I've raised 6 or 7 dogs in my life and I've never struggled like this with one before. I'm starting to feel like a failure.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Has anyone ever experienced a shelter or foster try and pull a bait and switch? I called a foster regarding a dog I saw on petfinder. The foster gave me a quick horror story run down how another family had adopted it at one point but it kept jumping over their 4 foot fence (why is this shocking?) and explained the dog yearns for companionship and really only works well in a household with other dogs (which we don't have). I found this odd because there was no mention of this sort of behavior of dependency on the pet description on petfinder. He then immediately switched gears and started talking up another dog that is amazing and would be perfect for me, etc.
This is just a mixture of me being paranoid and disappointed right?

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
I think you're probably just being paranoid. I've seen a lot of Petfinder descriptions that are missing information, especially if it wasn't obvious when the dog came into the shelter (so in your case, they might not have realized the dog did better with other dogs until it had been in foster for a little while). The people who are working hands-on with the dogs often aren't the ones writing the Petfinder ads so it's easy for there to be a bit of a breakdown in communication.

Talking up another dog that would probably be a better fit is also pretty standard. I used to handle adoptions at the shelter I volunteer with and I wound up doing that to at least half the people I talked to because those descriptions just can't capture every aspect of a dog's personality and also people are really bad at picking dogs. The only goal is to have a successful placement.

If there are other red flags that are worrying you, then that might be a sign to move on since there are some sketchy rescues out there. I don't think either of those things you mention are red flags by themselves, though.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I would much rather someone tell me all about why a certain dog I'm interested in isn't a good fit and talk up one I hadn't considered who might be perfect than let me take one home without question and then have to return it later or spend thousands of dollars and years of work to treat its issues. You might be disappointed right now but it takes so much work to deal with a dog with separation anxiety or that escapes all the time, no matter how cute or sweet or awesome the dog seems to be on paper.

If you aren't feeling good about the organization though there's no reason you can't find somewhere else. Plenty of places to get dogs in the world.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I would much rather someone tell me all about why a certain dog I'm interested in isn't a good fit and talk up one I hadn't considered who might be perfect than let me take one home without question and then have to return it later or spend thousands of dollars and years of work to treat its issues. You might be disappointed right now but it takes so much work to deal with a dog with separation anxiety or that escapes all the time, no matter how cute or sweet or awesome the dog seems to be on paper.

If you aren't feeling good about the organization though there's no reason you can't find somewhere else. Plenty of places to get dogs in the world.

Speaking of separation anxiety, are there any great resources out there to help me learn how to treat it? I'm a behavior scientist so I have a pretty good idea about this stuff, but any tips would help. It's obviously a slow progression and I'm sure I'm loving up cause I just can't be home all the time, but I want to do the best I can. I'm aware that it may be impossible to treat unless I can find a way to never leave him alone during the next few months of incremental progress.

Over the past few weeks I've worked up to like 5 minutes of alone time before the wimpering and barking begin, which is good progress. My dog doesn't have severe anxiety, but once his food delivery runs out he will bark and scratch at the door and I know he's done it for hours in the worst case scenario. Most time when I come home though he is laying in bed sleeping, so I know he eventually adjusts.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, but any helpful resources would be great.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Jewce posted:

Speaking of separation anxiety, are there any great resources out there to help me learn how to treat it? I'm a behavior scientist so I have a pretty good idea about this stuff, but any tips would help. It's obviously a slow progression and I'm sure I'm loving up cause I just can't be home all the time, but I want to do the best I can. I'm aware that it may be impossible to treat unless I can find a way to never leave him alone during the next few months of incremental progress.

Over the past few weeks I've worked up to like 5 minutes of alone time before the wimpering and barking begin, which is good progress. My dog doesn't have severe anxiety, but once his food delivery runs out he will bark and scratch at the door and I know he's done it for hours in the worst case scenario. Most time when I come home though he is laying in bed sleeping, so I know he eventually adjusts.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, but any helpful resources would be great.

'I'll be home soon' by Patricia McConnell.

radlum
May 13, 2013
My dog has started humping legs, so far, only mine and my sister's. Should I make her stop or is it harmless to let her do it once in a while? I don't want her to do that in public or to other dogs, but she gets upset when we stop her so maybe once in a while could be good to make her relax. Any ideas?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Took the thread's advice and looked elsewhere, and thus we came home with Ian (who is now Meeko) from an adoption event.

The agency found him on the side of the road a few weeks ago. He is a border collie setter mix they think. He is around 7 months old, and is probably the best behaved dog I've ever encountered. At Petsmart for the adoption event, all the dogs for adoption would flip out when any other dog approached, while Meeko sat there calm and quiet. He was well behaved with the hour long drive home and has only had one accident in the house thus far which is pretty amazing. Crate training going well and already have sit established.

Quick question, should I have a blanket of some sort in the crate for him? I'm afraid of him chewing on it as the foster informed me he will be teething. I'd hate to leave him in the kennel with nothing to lay on, though.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

couldcareless posted:

The agency found him on the side of the road a few weeks ago. He is a border collie setter mix they think. He is around 7 months old, and is probably the best behaved dog I've ever encountered. At Petsmart for the adoption event, all the dogs for adoption would flip out when any other dog approached, while Meeko sat there calm and quiet. He was well behaved with the hour long drive home and has only had one accident in the house thus far which is pretty amazing. Crate training going well and already have sit established.

Quick question, should I have a blanket of some sort in the crate for him? I'm afraid of him chewing on it as the foster informed me he will be teething. I'd hate to leave him in the kennel with nothing to lay on, though.

I leave a crate pad (or fleece blanket) in unless there's a history of ripping up bedding.

Congratulations on your Border Collie (who doesn't look mixed to me). Don't be surprised if he starts getting pushy after he settles in.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
My 4 month old pup has no problems coming to me when I call her inside the house. But when I let her run free in my backyard, she won't come to me. She used to come running to me when I'd call her name even in the backyard, but I'm assuming she stopped because she associates me calling her name with bath time and having to come inside. She has a tendency to get caked in dirt and mud and I have to give her a quick water bath before she's allowed back in. What kind of things can I do to stop her from associating a name recall with a bath? I know the alternative is to always keep her on leash, but I'd prefer to let her run around and get all the running out of her system. I do give her treats after her bath, but she hates the bath so much that she's stopped coming.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Muttonchips posted:

My 4 month old pup has no problems coming to me when I call her inside the house. But when I let her run free in my backyard, she won't come to me. She used to come running to me when I'd call her name even in the backyard, but I'm assuming she stopped because she associates me calling her name with bath time and having to come inside. She has a tendency to get caked in dirt and mud and I have to give her a quick water bath before she's allowed back in. What kind of things can I do to stop her from associating a name recall with a bath? I know the alternative is to always keep her on leash, but I'd prefer to let her run around and get all the running out of her system. I do give her treats after her bath, but she hates the bath so much that she's stopped coming.

Spend time making recall for super happy fun time, and use a different cue. Instead of "come", which you poisoned with the whole bathing thing, use "let's go!" or something like that and when she comes over, give her a bunch of awesome treats and then send her on her way. Do this for a while, and then slowly add in some times where she doesn't get released to go back to play. Once you have a solid foundation of "when I go to my owner on cue X, I get great stuff AND I get to go back to playing", then add in the stuff she hates slowly. In the mean time, go get her, and try to work on making baths less stressful. (Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_uqzGbXscc)

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I'm having problems with inappropriate eating with my puppy. He's a black labrador of five months and whenever he's out on a walk, he is constantly looking for food. He eats things like ice cream, chewing gum, bags of cookies off the floor and it's difficult to stop him getting to them, even on the leash. I'm worried because he's gonna eat something he really shouldn't one day.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So our Lab/Retriever just decided she doesn't want to eat anymore. It's been 2 days and she's probably only eaten a cup of food and just barely that. Normally she does roughly 3 cups a day.

I've also noticed she's a bit hesitant when eating peanut butter now, which she used to love. She seems ok though. Yesterday she played the entire day with 2 other pups and today we went and played catch for 20 minutes with no problem.

I tried getting her a new bag of food (different flavor that she has eaten in the past) and she just sniffs it and walks away. The lady at the pet food store mentioned that sometimes dogs can go 1-2 days without eating. Says they can just lose their appetite. I'm not really ready to trust her word on it though.

Anyone else have a similar experience? She'll still eat treats (in fact I put some in her bowl and she ate around the food to get them).

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Sudden changes in behaviour and appetite warrant vet visits. I'd be concerned about an obstruction or illness. Is she drinking? How are her pottying habits? Any puking? Your vet will likely ask.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Gushing Granny posted:

I'm having problems with inappropriate eating with my puppy. He's a black labrador of five months and whenever he's out on a walk, he is constantly looking for food. He eats things like ice cream, chewing gum, bags of cookies off the floor and it's difficult to stop him getting to them, even on the leash. I'm worried because he's gonna eat something he really shouldn't one day.

You need to teach labs to Leave It (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA) and you're going to have to up your management game by not leaving bags of cookies on the floor.

m.hache posted:

So our Lab/Retriever just decided she doesn't want to eat anymore.

Healthy labs have healthy appetites, I'd take her to the vet. She might have eaten something she wasn't supposed to when you weren't looking and it's stuck in her guts or could have parasites.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ikantski posted:

You need to teach labs to Leave It (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA) and you're going to have to up your management game by not leaving bags of cookies on the floor.

Healthy labs have healthy appetites, I'd take her to the vet. She might have eaten something she wasn't supposed to when you weren't looking and it's stuck in her guts or could have parasites.

Well, she has a stool sample being looked at from her vet visit last week (just a yearly check up). She spit up a little bile yesterday when she skipped her breakfast. Last night she did eat like a cup of her food and left some in the bowl.

If it's parasites the stool sample would show something. If it's an obstructions wouldn't she be lethargic as well? She wants to play constantly still.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Good questions to ask your vet when you take your sick dog to go see her.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

Ikantski posted:

and you're going to have to up your management game by not leaving bags of cookies on the floor.

I meant outside.

I tried the training video you linked and it went well. Repeated sessions will hopefully help.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Gushing Granny posted:

I meant outside.

I tried the training video you linked and it went well. Repeated sessions will hopefully help.

If you're not able to keep him from eating random crap off the ground on a leash walk, get a basket muzzle until you fully proof the leave it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ikantski posted:

Good questions to ask your vet when you take your sick dog to go see her.

Gave the vet a quick call. She said sometimes dogs can have a delayed reaction to the vaccinations (she got her boosted last Thursday). They have some gastro food set aside for me which I'll pick up after work. If she doesn't eat that tonight they said to bring her in tomorrow.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

m.hache posted:

If it's parasites the stool sample would show something. If it's an obstructions wouldn't she be lethargic as well? She wants to play constantly still.

Depends on where the obstruction is. Intestinal obstruction more commonly has the lethargy signs, but stomach obstructions vary widely. Some dogs are really sick - those are the ones who swallow something that rams itself into the outflow tract and cuts off everything. However, dogs who eat things which only obstruct when the object is pressed against the outflow tract (but otherwise can't be shoved into the intestines) are only ill when that happens, and otherwise can feel fine; things like large balls or toys, certain articles of clothing, rocks...

Then you can have things which only partially cut off intestinal flow, which also can have a vague feeling of the sickness.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

HelloSailorSign posted:

Depends on where the obstruction is. Intestinal obstruction more commonly has the lethargy signs, but stomach obstructions vary widely. Some dogs are really sick - those are the ones who swallow something that rams itself into the outflow tract and cuts off everything. However, dogs who eat things which only obstruct when the object is pressed against the outflow tract (but otherwise can't be shoved into the intestines) are only ill when that happens, and otherwise can feel fine; things like large balls or toys, certain articles of clothing, rocks...

Then you can have things which only partially cut off intestinal flow, which also can have a vague feeling of the sickness.

That's good to know. I'll see how she is tonight. If she doesn't eat this gastro food it's a trip to the vet first thing in the AM.

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014
I got my corgi pup Tumbles on Tuesday, and for the most part things are going great - she's spunky and so affectionate and we're doing lots of socialization and joined puppy kindergarten to get started on training. The biggest issue so far is potty training, and I'm worried I'm going to gently caress things up since what I'm trying isn't really working, so here I am.

She's almost 10 weeks old. The breeder she came from litter box trained the pups. I can tell Tumbles kind of gets the litter box thing, but it's super inconsistent and feels like it's going downhill. On the 2+ hour ride home, I put her litter box in the back half of the crate. She peed and pooped in it twice each. The first overnight, she woke me up 5 or 6 times with whining, and I put her in the litterbox each time, and she went during some of those, but I worried I was also rewarding lonely whining by pulling her out. Since the first day/night, she's been good about pooping in the litter box, but pee has been really tough - it's usually on the floor (I clean with odor eliminator and she doesn't seem to go in the same place each time), and 2-3 times in her crate over the last few days, which I feel awful/guilty about, because I'm worried I'll ruin potty training AND the positive association I've started to form with her crate.

For the last ~3 days I've been doing 30 minutes in/30 minutes out of the crate all day (is this a reasonable puppy schedule?) and it is doing wonders for the crate but not for the bathroom stuff. I've been trying to stick her in the litter box and telling her to go right before I put her in, after I take her out, and during out-of-crate time if she looks like she's sniffing around. But 95% of the time she either hops right out because she's too excited or lays down in it and tries to sleep. When she does the former, sometimes she'll pee like 30 seconds later, as if she literally doesn't know she has to go until it's coming out. When she pees on the floor, I (calmly) scoop her up and put her in the box, and at this point she always stops peeing. The few times she does go in the box, I of course praise her like crazy and give her lots of treats. She only goes pee every 2 hours or less (I hope she's drinking enough water - I'm not sure what's normal), and it seems hard to predict or force.

The crate stuff worries me the most - I can't tell when her whining is wanting attention and when she has to pee, and I feel like if I pick the wrong one I'm messing one thing or another up. Will it mess up crate training if, every time she whines for more than a minute, I take her out, plop her in the litter box, and stick her back in the crate? And in general, any tips on getting her to pee slightly more "on command" or at least find her litter box when she realizes she has to?

Ack this is stressful, and I'm worried I'm stressing out Tumbles with what seems to be regressions.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

biggest platypus posted:

I got my corgi pup Tumbles on Tuesday, and for the most part things are going great - she's spunky and so affectionate and we're doing lots of socialization and joined puppy kindergarten to get started on training. The biggest issue so far is potty training, and I'm worried I'm going to gently caress things up since what I'm trying isn't really working, so here I am.

She's almost 10 weeks old. The breeder she came from litter box trained the pups. I can tell Tumbles kind of gets the litter box thing, but it's super inconsistent and feels like it's going downhill. On the 2+ hour ride home, I put her litter box in the back half of the crate. She peed and pooped in it twice each. The first overnight, she woke me up 5 or 6 times with whining, and I put her in the litterbox each time, and she went during some of those, but I worried I was also rewarding lonely whining by pulling her out. Since the first day/night, she's been good about pooping in the litter box, but pee has been really tough - it's usually on the floor (I clean with odor eliminator and she doesn't seem to go in the same place each time), and 2-3 times in her crate over the last few days, which I feel awful/guilty about, because I'm worried I'll ruin potty training AND the positive association I've started to form with her crate.

For the last ~3 days I've been doing 30 minutes in/30 minutes out of the crate all day (is this a reasonable puppy schedule?) and it is doing wonders for the crate but not for the bathroom stuff. I've been trying to stick her in the litter box and telling her to go right before I put her in, after I take her out, and during out-of-crate time if she looks like she's sniffing around. But 95% of the time she either hops right out because she's too excited or lays down in it and tries to sleep. When she does the former, sometimes she'll pee like 30 seconds later, as if she literally doesn't know she has to go until it's coming out. When she pees on the floor, I (calmly) scoop her up and put her in the box, and at this point she always stops peeing. The few times she does go in the box, I of course praise her like crazy and give her lots of treats. She only goes pee every 2 hours or less (I hope she's drinking enough water - I'm not sure what's normal), and it seems hard to predict or force.

The crate stuff worries me the most - I can't tell when her whining is wanting attention and when she has to pee, and I feel like if I pick the wrong one I'm messing one thing or another up. Will it mess up crate training if, every time she whines for more than a minute, I take her out, plop her in the litter box, and stick her back in the crate? And in general, any tips on getting her to pee slightly more "on command" or at least find her litter box when she realizes she has to?

Ack this is stressful, and I'm worried I'm stressing out Tumbles with what seems to be regressions.

Why are you using a litterbox? Take your dog outside to poo poo. It's a dog.

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014

Invalid Octopus posted:

Why are you using a litterbox? Take your dog outside to poo poo. It's a dog.

Ah sorry, I didn't explain that part. I live in a city half a block from a busy dog park, and I only have a paved back patio shared with neighbors who I don't know very well. I don't think they'd love dog pee/poop out in the back patio, and I don't feel comfortable letting her go out front until she's at least had her second round of shots, maybe third (will see what the vet thinks is appropriate).

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

biggest platypus posted:

Ah sorry, I didn't explain that part. I live in a city half a block from a busy dog park, and I only have a paved back patio shared with neighbors who I don't know very well. I don't think they'd love dog pee/poop out in the back patio, and I don't feel comfortable letting her go out front until she's at least had her second round of shots, maybe third (will see what the vet thinks is appropriate).

What about putting the litterbox on your back patio? Then your dog will learn to not do her business inside the house. You can also clean it up ASAP to be respectful of your neighbors.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing but with puppy pads in a corner of the patio and then just cleaning them up each time. Talking to your neighbours about it quickly and maybe buying them a giftcertificate or bottle of wine might help, but I'm sure they would be understanding.

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014

adventure in the sandbox posted:

What about putting the litterbox on your back patio? Then your dog will learn to not do her business inside the house. You can also clean it up ASAP to be respectful of your neighbors.

luscious posted:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but with puppy pads in a corner of the patio and then just cleaning them up each time. Talking to your neighbours about it quickly and maybe buying them a giftcertificate or bottle of wine might help, but I'm sure they would be understanding.

Alright, I'm a little worried about taking away the place she poops (moving it outside), but I trust that you all know more about this than I do! I suppose the theory is that once I stop rewarding her for going inside ever, it'll be more clear where she needs to go. I'll start going with the housebreaking doc linked in the original post here and see what happens. If anyone has advice for this transition or for how to deal with the crate accidents, I'm all ears. Thanks!

e: Welp. We went outside and stood on a pee pad for 10 minutes. Came back inside. She found the litter box I'd stashed in the hallway for the time being and peed in it almost immediately. :v: I guess I'll put that outside with the pee pad to help prompt her next time we go out. Could the fact it's inaccessible most of the time actually help prompt her to use it when she can? Are 2 month old pups that smart?

biggest platypus fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 24, 2014

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Muttonchips posted:

I had that problem when I got one of my dogs. He was an outside dog and his former owners only ever called him when he was in trouble, so he associated people calling his name with getting in trouble so he'd actually go farther away if you called him.

We fixed it real quick by doing some fun recall games, really simple stuff like calling him from a couple feet away then stuffing him full of cookies when he came over. The place I take him for training does a thing where they have an instructor hold the dog while you have a super fun toy/treats/whatever your dog goes nuts for halfway across the room and have you call the dog so they sprint for what you've got and associate you calling them with happy fun times.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Teach your dog to poo poo outside and learn how to read their cues for "I need to potty". If you live in an apartment, potty training (taking it out for a quick pee in a grassy area and providing chances to poop) a dog is entirely do-able. Plenty of other people have done it.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

biggest platypus posted:

Hey imma bout to blow your mind but maybe take your dog outside you inbred

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
As a puppy it will be hard, because they require more frequent trips outside. As the dog gets older (even just a few months, if you're diligent about taking them outside and training) you can get away with fewer trips (read the guide in the OP, about 1hr per month of age, but around maybe 6 months it can get longer faster. Aiko ((iirc) was holding it for many hours at like, 3 months, right Psychobabble?).

Once you have a good routine down, I imagine that a few long walks will be sufficient for potty purposes. Once in the morning until they pee/poop, once in the afternoon (maybe after work?) until they pee/poop, and then once again before bed for another pee/poop. Take out again as necessary for short trips. My recommendation is to teach a cue for the dog to let you know they need to go out for the bathroom. For both of our dogs we use bells on the door that they ring as an indicator.

Read: this is not to relieve puppy energy. You have a high energy dog. It will require deliberate and extensive play to wear them out. Don't wait until it's a problem to try to fix it. Get ahead of it now so that it doesn't become a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
bad decision getting a puppy in your situation imo