Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I've seen JourneyMap recommended a lot here recently but it seems to make the game practically unplayable for me.

I'm on latest Java 8 and running the game with a 4gb memory limit, and in casual play Minecraft is sitting steady at about 2.5gb-3gb used. As soon as I add JourneyMap, it starts leaking memory like crazy unless I'm standing perfectly still, triggering full garbage collection and making the game stutter.

The thing that confuses me the most here is that it does the exact same thing in a quickly thrown together 1.7.10 modpack and when added to (a trimmed down) 1.6.4 Yogcast Complete, on two different PCs, and yet no one else seems to be complaining about it.

Is there some magic Java switch / memory setting that makes the problem go away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

How do you search for an entire mods items in 1.7 NEI again? I'm sure I saw someone post about it in the thread a while back.

You have to do it a little differently now.
@mod.thermal expansion
@mod.applied energistics 2

Etc.

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

Gerdalti posted:

You have to do it a little differently now.
@mod.thermal expansion
@mod.applied energistics 2

Etc.

Does anybody know why in the hell he decided to change this? Was searching for poo poo affecting some kind of game balance I'm not aware of?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
The @mod. stuff has been around for a while now (I remember seeing direwolf use it in 1.4.7 packs), but wasn't really needed because it'd search tooltips too. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was something else in the base game (or forge) fundamentally changed which suddenly altered the behavior of NEI.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Decided to try and use a Technomancy Essentia Dynamo to dispose of a bunch of excess metallum essentia; piped a single jar of 64 into it and 2 hours later it's produced 24 million RF and shows no sign of stopping. Is this just infinite power or bugged or what?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Here's some stuff.

Minetweaker recipes for AE2 processors and fluix, these bypass the inscriber entirely, making finding a meteor before starting AE not necessary. They're more expensive than inscriber recipes though, so there's still an incentive to use it if you're strapped for materials. You'll still need skystone for when you get a controller though.

http://pastebin.com/jHHK0KT9

Some various QoL recipes. Enderium/signalum recipes that don't require dusts (same material cost), a servo recipe that uses lead instead of iron, blaze rod recipe (for botania users), blue slime recipe (for those with slime islands disabled). And of course, zombie flesh to leather.

http://pastebin.com/fKhbHfEF

COFH worldgen files. This does copper, tin, silver, lead, ferrous, certus quartz(makes charged spawn with uncharged in clusters, much like silver/lead clusters), ender ore, yellorium, and has a full config for proper deep dark spawning of all of these ores(and emeralds). Also does vanilla stuff of course. Naturally you will need to change the configs of any mods that use the above ores to avoid duplicates and overspawning, but I'll leave that for you to figure out yourself.

http://pastebin.com/paTmeCQg
http://pastebin.com/10NgcPqH
http://pastebin.com/hGGEwNDL
http://pastebin.com/8FtneJSx

A 1.7.10 compiled John Smith texture pack, including the awesome new artifice stuff. Right now it's just the mods from Progress, but that's pretty decent coverage of 1.7.10.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11556897/hobosmith%201.7.10%20-%200.2.0.zip

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Was thinking about Minetweaker and Thaumcraft 4.2, while i dont know what im doing, i'd like some more thoughts from anyone else who finds certain parts of thaumcraft 4 irritating:

1) A "Iron/Wood Wand to Gold/Greatwood" shapeless recipe. Because Iron/Wood can harm nodes regardless of research and Gold/Greatwood is cheap to make. Problem i could see with this is if the resulting Gold/Greatwood wand has 50 vis, someone might complain. Combine with an ingot of gold and two blocks of greatwood in a shapeless craft? gently caress Balance? :shrug:

2) Salis Mundus combined with 2-4 mana beans gives back 2-3 Salis Mundus. Because Why was that removed, Mana beans were already hard to grow! :argh:

3) Shapeless baseline shard transmutation. Fire > Earth > Air > Water > Order > Entropy > Fire. Not really sure how badly this is needed, would make it the Crystal Clusters so that nothing goes wonky.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Just saw a tweet that CraftBukkit is no more... after which I thought, wait, CraftBukkit was still around? I thought Forge displaced it ages ago.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Bukkit itself is no more. Sort of. Mojang claims they own it now, which is funny since the guy who was working on it wasn't getting paid...

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Bukkit is reporting they're shutting down while Jeb is saying they cannot. Dinnerbone chimed in as well.

Edit: Grum has tweeted that they've taken control of the github project as well.

Edit2: EvilSeph confirms that Mojang does own Bukkit.

Cerevisiae fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 21, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, I was going to say, if anyone has any say on Bukkit its Dinnerbone, who started it and claims to have written like 90% of it, followed by Grum. Also, loving laughing at Jeb piping in that Mojang actually bought Bukkit (never heard that, but I assumed as such when Dinnerbone, Grum and EvilSeph were hired by Mojang).

Edit:

Ahahaha, md_5 (spigot/cauldron) is being a sensational little poo poo:

"So from what I gather Mojang has secretly owned Bukkit for years? Sounds like we're going to need lawyers."

"So here is the big question: Why are we only finding out that Mojang --owned-- Bukkit now?"

"Can I just point out that hiring / acquiring a team is NOT the same as acquiring a project."

Yes, md_5, hiring a team doesn't usually mean acquiring a project unless if purchasing of that project is included in the hiring contracts. :allears:

Jeb posted:

Warren over at bukkit seems to have forgotten that the project was bought by Mojang over two years ago, and isn't his to discontinue.

This is not a joke, we dug up the receipt to be sure.

EvilSeph/Warren posted:

Yes, Mojang does own Bukkit. Them acquiring us was a condition to being hired. If Mojang want to continue Bukkit, I'm all for it :)

Honestly, I am really curious about Warren's relationship with Mojang is right now. He was let go/quite Mojang right before Searge and Mog were hired on. And his massive "I'm shutting it down" post he presented to the public threw Mojang under the buss blaming them for Bukkit being shut down because of EULA agreements when he knew for a fact that would never be an issue. What a bitch. :psyduck:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 21, 2014

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
It seems like his role in Bukkit was similar to a volunteer moderator of a forum. Just because they want to leave doesn't mean they get the right to shut down the forum. He could have left and let it stagnate if nobody else wanted to pick up from where he left off, but he instead tried to shut down the whole project.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cerevisiae posted:

It seems like his role in Bukkit was similar to a volunteer moderator of a forum. Just because they want to leave doesn't mean they get the right to shut down the forum. He could have left and let it stagnate if nobody else wanted to pick up from where he left off, but he instead tried to shut down the whole project.

What's the fun of being in Minecraft mods if you can't take your ball and go home when you decide you don't want to play any more?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Cerevisiae posted:

gently caress, he could have just sent a private email off to Dinnerbone or Grum stating that he wanted to retire and then made a nice little post saying goodbye to the community and announce that Dinnerbone and Grum would be returning to make sure Bukkit was updated to 1.8. The way it was pulled off is full of spite.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 21, 2014

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm fairly certain that the thought process- on both ends- is that the "change file to accept EULA" changes go out in 1.8, and 1.8 Bukkit is basically a necessary component in making the new EULA mean a drat thing. Seph didn't want it to go through and Mojang does. I kind of expect Bukkit to be completely dumpstered in favor of a half-assed API in 1.9, and now they don't even have to make a play for feature-parity, because the alternative is gone. In the meantime, though, 1.8 has to get made.

MD5's point is that Mojang intentionally kept the purchase secret. Everyone except EvilSeph was under the impression that they were performing a necessary service for the community rather than providing free labor to Mojang, and that's really hosed up, both for Mojang and for Seph. We also don't know what decisions Mojang has handed down over the past couple years. When Bukkit ripped out most of the decompiled Mojang code, was that actually Seph's decision to improve maintainability? Or was it Mojang covering their rear end for when people realize that they've actually been LGPLing their own code. I mean if that change hadn't happened, the EULA change would have been literally impossible, because when everyone found out that Bukkit's copy of the server code was legal, someone could have just forked & removed the EULA. The lack of transparency means we have no idea to what extent the "community project" was actually being directed by Mojang and that's totally hosed.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I'm fairly certain that the thought process- on both ends- is that the "change file to accept EULA" changes go out in 1.8, and 1.8 Bukkit is basically a necessary component in making the new EULA mean a drat thing. Seph didn't want it to go through and Mojang does. I kind of expect Bukkit to be completely dumpstered in favor of a half-assed API in 1.9, and now they don't even have to make a play for feature-parity, because the alternative is gone. In the meantime, though, 1.8 has to get made.

MD5's point is that Mojang intentionally kept the purchase secret. Everyone except EvilSeph was under the impression that they were performing a necessary service for the community rather than providing free labor to Mojang, and that's really hosed up, both for Mojang and for Seph. We also don't know what decisions Mojang has handed down over the past couple years. When Bukkit ripped out most of the decompiled Mojang code, was that actually Seph's decision to improve maintainability? Or was it Mojang covering their rear end for when people realize that they've actually been LGPLing their own code. I mean if that change hadn't happened, the EULA change would have been literally impossible, because when everyone found out that Bukkit's copy of the server code was legal, someone could have just forked & removed the EULA. The lack of transparency means we have no idea to what extent the "community project" was actually being directed by Mojang and that's totally hosed.

Wait, I thought the change file was in 1.7.10, did they move it back?

Either way the whole EULA update is silly because the EULA isn't being updated, they are keeping the old EULA that states that you can't monetize at all and they have pushed the monetization exceptions into the Mojang Brand Guidelines: https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/1590522-minecraft-commercial-use-guidelines

Basically allowing them to have a pretty tight lip EULA and then slip in necessary exceptions into the Brand Guidelines without causing loopholes.

Also, how do you know EvilSeph wasn't aware of this? He was hired alongside Grum and Dinnerbone and decided to quite on his own terms like a year ago. You have him right here admitting that he knew Mojang acquired Bukkit as part of the terms of him being hired: https://twitter.com/EvilSeph/status/502384952944885760

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Enzer posted:

Wait, I thought the change file was in 1.7.10, did they move it back?

Either way the whole EULA update is silly because the EULA isn't being updated, they are keeping the old EULA that states that you can't monetize at all and they have pushed the monetization exceptions into the Mojang Brand Guidelines: https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/1590522-minecraft-commercial-use-guidelines

Basically allowing them to have a pretty tight lip EULA and then slip in necessary exceptions into the Brand Guidelines without causing loopholes.

Also, how do you know EvilSeph wasn't aware of this? He was hired alongside Grum and Dinnerbone and decided to quite on his own terms like a year ago. You have him right here admitting that he knew Mojang acquired Bukkit as part of the terms of him being hired: https://twitter.com/EvilSeph/status/502384952944885760

I said EvilSeph WAS aware of this. I said nobody else was. And requiring server owners to agree to the EULA is kind of legally important regardless of what it says.

EDIT: Also the change might have gone out in 1.7.10, but 1.7.9 is the most recent bukkit version, and spigot already has the capability for a 1.7.9 server to report as 1.7.10, so there's no reason for anyone to upgrade if Mojang made a 1.7.10 bukkit.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 21, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I said EvilSeph WAS aware of this. I said nobody else was. And requiring server owners to agree to the EULA is kind of legally important regardless of what it says.

For shame on a company requiring people to acknowledge their EULA to use their product because a bunch of little shits trying to abuse Mojang's user base is trying to find loopholes to continue abuse people? Because you know its not like the majority of software out there has you re-verify you agree to a ToS or EULA whenever you update said software.

I still don't understand the whole "free labor" issue though. Since Mojang is, despite owning Bukkit, under no requirement to actually update it at all and for all intents and purpose, from what I can tell, Mojang acquired Bukkit in order to solve this issue that Seph claims:

"From the get go we were plagued with issues and obstacles we needed to overcome, one of which we were sadly unable to tackle despite our best efforts: the legal barrier of licensing and permission. When starting the Bukkit project and even getting involved with hMod before that, we all knew that our work - no matter how well-intentioned - fell into a dangerous legal grey area. As such, my first priority at the start was to do things right: contact Mojang to try and get permission to continue on with the project and discuss our licensing. Unfortunately, while we did get into contact with Mojang and managed to have a chat with Notch and Jeb themselves (who have said that they don't like our methods but understand that there isn't any alternative and are thus fine with what we were and are doing)"

This was solved by Mojang acquiring Bukkit as a property and if cleaning up of the code to fix the LGL issue makes perfect sense to do and shouldn't be taken as some kind of crazy conspiracy. This is all internal Mojang affairs and had no business being a public issue.

So unless you can prove that Dinnerbone and Grum will be doing billable hours in updating Bukkit to 1.8, this argument falls flat.

Basically I'm just going to quote Jeb on this because people on twitter are going into crazy conspiracy theories about Mojang praying on people for free labor:

Jeb posted:

That means bukkit always had a special relationship in regards to things such as the EULA, and if Warren is bored, we need to do something.

VVVV

Never! :argh:

No, really, I don't care as much as I come off, I'm just admittedly argumentative over anything I discuss and long winded as hell. I assumed people knew not to take me seriously by now on most of what I rant about. :P

Enzer fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 21, 2014

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Please try to care less about Minecraft, Enzer.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Thyrork posted:

Was thinking about Minetweaker and Thaumcraft 4.2...

You got my hopes up that 4.2 was officially released. :saddowns:
But then I checked the MCF thread and I guess Azanor has deemed the current beta the final one before release because it's taken so long, so that's nice.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Enzer posted:

For shame on a company requiring people to acknowledge their EULA to use their product because a bunch of little shits trying to abuse Mojang's user base is trying to find loopholes to continue abuse people? Because you know its not like the majority of software out there has you re-verify you agree to a ToS or EULA whenever you update said software.

"No, that's not the reason! And maybe it is the reason, but so what!" I'm just telling you what the reason is. This is the reason.

quote:

I still don't understand the whole "free labor" issue though. Since Mojang is, despite owning Bukkit, under no requirement to actually update it at all and for all intents and purpose, from what I can tell, Mojang acquired Bukkit in order to solve this issue that Seph claims:

"From the get go we were plagued with issues and obstacles we needed to overcome, one of which we were sadly unable to tackle despite our best efforts: the legal barrier of licensing and permission. When starting the Bukkit project and even getting involved with hMod before that, we all knew that our work - no matter how well-intentioned - fell into a dangerous legal grey area. As such, my first priority at the start was to do things right: contact Mojang to try and get permission to continue on with the project and discuss our licensing. Unfortunately, while we did get into contact with Mojang and managed to have a chat with Notch and Jeb themselves (who have said that they don't like our methods but understand that there isn't any alternative and are thus fine with what we were and are doing)"

This was solved by Mojang acquiring Bukkit as a property and if cleaning up of the code to fix the LGL issue makes perfect sense to do and shouldn't be taken as some kind of crazy conspiracy. This is all internal Mojang affairs and had no business being a public issue.

So unless you can prove that Dinnerbone and Grum will be doing billable hours in updating Bukkit to 1.8, this argument falls flat.

Basically I'm just going to quote Jeb on this because people on twitter are going into crazy conspiracy theories about Mojang praying on people for free labor:

You're making a lot of excuses for why a company would conceal that they owned the rights and labor of the Bukkit team. There are a lot of good reasons for Mojang to own Bukkit. You haven't named any of them, because a license would have solved the same problems, but there are a lot of good reasons. For instance, many users interact with Minecraft via Bukkit, so being able to control those user experiences by controlling the project is a good reason to buy Bukkit. Another good reason is to prevent collaboration with technologies that you don't approve of, such as Forge. For instance, there were talks of Bukkit and Forge collaborating and producing a single product a couple years ago- this would have really benefited users. That instantly dried up when EvilSeph took over Forge. Was this Seph being a jerk? Maybe. He is one. Was it Mojang getting their money's worth? Maybe.

But regardless of how many great reasons there are for Mojang to buy Bukkit, there is no good reason for Mojang to conceal that they bought Bukkit. The only even excuse of why it MIGHT be a good idea that I've heard from apologists like you is that Mojang wanted to be hands-off on the project. Hey, guess what, just because they didn't tell anyone that they owned the project doesn't mean they were hands-off. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it's a lot easier to be hands-on if nobody is interrogating changes you make under the auspices of your ownership. And there's no reason to believe they've been hands-off, they sure as hell haven't claimed they have been.

But anyway, all of your arguments essentially come down to, "How can you say when Mojang's doing anything wrong? They're so nontransparent that nobody could possibly prove that!" That's not much to recommend them. Moreover, grum has said in the past that all the new features in minecraft are developed in the team's spare time. Any time worth mentioning (and Searge has posted that the 1.8 change will be SUBSTANTIAL) is going to be costing Mojang something. It's also ridiculous to claim that Dinnerbone and Grum have all this free time lying about but have been spending it on their noncompete-forbidden personal projects or drinking or something. I don't like those guys, but they do spend a lot of time working on minecraft. Something's gotta give.

But the great part is that Bukkit is open source. Maybe dinnerbone will develop like an rear end in a top hat and go dark for 3 weeks before checking a monster, but if not, I will PM you every time he does a checkin during ordinary work hours just so you can know what freaking rube you are.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

"No, that's not the reason! And maybe it is the reason, but so what!" I'm just telling you what the reason is. This is the reason.

You're making a lot of excuses for why a company would conceal that they owned the rights and labor of the Bukkit team. There are a lot of good reasons for Mojang to own Bukkit. You haven't named any of them, because a license would have solved the same problems, but there are a lot of good reasons. For instance, many users interact with Minecraft via Bukkit, so being able to control those user experiences by controlling the project is a good reason to buy Bukkit. Another good reason is to prevent collaboration with technologies that you don't approve of, such as Forge. For instance, there were talks of Bukkit and Forge collaborating and producing a single product a couple years ago- this would have really benefited users. That instantly dried up when EvilSeph took over Forge. Was this Seph being a jerk? Maybe. He is one. Was it Mojang getting their money's worth? Maybe.

But regardless of how many great reasons there are for Mojang to buy Bukkit, there is no good reason for Mojang to conceal that they bought Bukkit. The only even excuse of why it MIGHT be a good idea that I've heard from apologists like you is that Mojang wanted to be hands-off on the project. Hey, guess what, just because they didn't tell anyone that they owned the project doesn't mean they were hands-off. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it's a lot easier to be hands-on if nobody is interrogating changes you make under the auspices of your ownership. And there's no reason to believe they've been hands-off, they sure as hell haven't claimed they have been.

But anyway, all of your arguments essentially come down to, "How can you say when Mojang's doing anything wrong? They're so nontransparent that nobody could possibly prove that!" That's not much to recommend them. Moreover, grum has said in the past that all the new features in minecraft are developed in the team's spare time. Any time worth mentioning (and Searge has posted that the 1.8 change will be SUBSTANTIAL) is going to be costing Mojang something. It's also ridiculous to claim that Dinnerbone and Grum have all this free time lying about but have been spending it on their noncompete-forbidden personal projects or drinking or something. I don't like those guys, but they do spend a lot of time working on minecraft. Something's gotta give.

But the great part is that Bukkit is open source. Maybe dinnerbone will develop like an rear end in a top hat and go dark for 3 weeks before checking a monster, but if not, I will PM you every time he does a checkin during ordinary work hours just so you can know what freaking rube you are.

Holly poo poo dude, chill out. :eyepop:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Enzer posted:

Holly poo poo dude, chill out. :eyepop:

I apologize if that was too much, but I'm pretty pissed off when multi-million dollar companies steal labor from people, and that's what this is. Even if Mojang somehow guaranteed that not a moment of Minecraft development is exchanged for Bukkit development in the coming weeks (as that's the only way they're not essentially willing to fund development when the volunteers leave), people were contributing to Mojang's assets without their knowledge, because Mojang chose to lie to everyone. I am certain that there are many people who would have done things differently if they'd known what was up.

EDIT: I mean look at this- https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukkit-ownership.121303/

Everyone thought it was a grass roots thing, including the staff member.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 21, 2014

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
It doesn't seem like it was part of the announcement from Mojang or Bukkit (FAQ by Dinnerbone). So it's pretty easy to see why everybody's confused and didn't know. They make it sound like they were just hiring the development team and nothing about Bukkit changing ownership to Mojang. If anybody were in the know about it though that would have included EvilSeph. Also I don't see how EvilSeph could just kill Bukkit without involvement from the other founding members of the team.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
I'm curious, what does bukkit do, exactly? All the mods on the forums these days are Forge mods, and Forge includes a server jar, so where does bukkit come in?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cerevisiae posted:

It doesn't seem like it was part of the announcement from Mojang or Bukkit (FAQ by Dinnerbone). So it's pretty easy to see why everybody's confused and didn't know. They make it sound like they were just hiring the development team and nothing about Bukkit changing ownership to Mojang. If anybody were in the know about it though that would have included EvilSeph. Also I don't see how EvilSeph could just kill Bukkit without involvement from the other founding members of the team.

It's not really possible to truly kill an open source project at all. Someone can always pick it back up and update it. That usually doesn't happen when all the devs and staff quit at the same time, though. I'd be really surprised if bukkit was actually "alive" at this point, rather than just being updated to 1.8, but it's possible they find someone to take over the role that EvilSeph played or Mojang puts someone on it full-time.

EDIT:

Goncyn posted:

I'm curious, what does bukkit do, exactly? All the mods on the forums these days are Forge mods, and Forge includes a server jar, so where does bukkit come in?

Bukkit is a server-side modding system. The reason why it's still a thing are four:

1) Some of the really important events that server owners need access to to control player behavior on servers aren't implemented in Forge, or aren't implemented in a way that makes it really easy to develop tools and mods that use them, like it is for Bukkit.
2) There are a HUGE ASSLOAD of really useful plugins implemented in Bukkit, and a lot of developers that aren't real interested in moving over to forge, so if you want access to that massive quantity of work, you need to use bukkit or a bukkit bridge to forge like MCPC+.
3) It's really easy to connect to pure-bukkit servers, since you can connect with a vanilla client, so they're really, really popular, and there's a lot of great things you can do with them. I prefer forge because obviously there's more great things you can do with forge, but the amount of stuff you can do with a modified server and a vanilla client is really surprising if you've never stepped into that world, and the lack of required client-side mods means you have a massive potential audience.
4) Also Spigot is a bukkit-based vanilla server that is REALLY good and REALLY fast. I think MCPC+ includes many of its optimizations, though? I could be wrong about that. But the point is that if you want to use pure spigot, bukkit plugins are your best bet.

Also, as a corollary to 3, Bukkit has a lot of tools for doing some fuckery on the client to make it recognize server-side changes, and Forge doesn't have these tools because there's an assumption that if you want to modify the client, you'll just modify the client. So making a Forge-based vanilla server with server-side mods as plugins isn't actually possible.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 21, 2014

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Goncyn posted:

Bukkit is similar to Forge but for mods run entirely on the server. They can't modify anything on the client like adding new blocks, but they can affect the world and include new commands and features. Almost any vanilla server other than people just hosting them for friends is likely running Bukkit for features like block logging, world edit, etc.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Very informative, thanks dudes. The bukkit "about us" page should just say that instead of all the verbage about how it will change your life.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

How does Cauldron fit into all of this? The Yogscast Complete/Resonant Rise pack I'm using just upgraded to Cauldron, which used to be MCPC+. How does that fit in with all of this? As I understand it, it kind of marries the two, correct? I can run Bukkit plugins and all the Forge mods...

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Hitch posted:

How does Cauldron fit into all of this? The Yogscast Complete/Resonant Rise pack I'm using just upgraded to Cauldron, which used to be MCPC+. How does that fit in with all of this? As I understand it, it kind of marries the two, correct? I can run Bukkit plugins and all the Forge mods...

That's about it. MCPC+/Cauldron is a special merger of Bukkit and Forge because on their own they aren't compatible.

30.5 Days posted:

It's not really possible to truly kill an open source project at all. Someone can always pick it back up and update it. That usually doesn't happen when all the devs and staff quit at the same time, though. I'd be really surprised if bukkit was actually "alive" at this point, rather than just being updated to 1.8, but it's possible they find someone to take over the role that EvilSeph played or Mojang puts someone on it full-time.
What was his intent then with the "Bukkit is closing" post then if not to kill it?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cerevisiae posted:

That's about it. MCPC+/Cauldron is a special merger of Bukkit and Forge because on their own they aren't compatible.

What was his intent then with the "Bukkit is closing" post then if not to kill it?

To kill it as much as is actually reasonble in an open source project? I mean I guess you can't kill it, but they can die, and you can help.

EDIT: I don't think he expected DB & grum to jump onto it like that, you gotta imagine they're pretty drat busy.

ALSO EDIT: My point in my earlier post was not that Seph wasn't trying to kill the project, my point was that literally any human being on the planet has the same rights to the code itself as DB & Grum do, so he was no doubt expecting that the other former bukkit members weren't any more likely to pick up the project than, say, KingLemming.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 21, 2014

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
The guy who did Soul Shards Reborn, is now doing Project E, which is EE2 for 1.7.

We're playing around with it on Modderation, but so far it hasn't killed anything yet; there may be unimplemented features but nothing I've tried has been unsuccessful.

It doesn't seem like he has a thread up or anything, but https://github.com/MozeIntel/ProjectE

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mechaet posted:

The guy who did Soul Shards Reborn, is now doing Project E, which is EE2 for 1.7.

We're playing around with it on Modderation, but so far it hasn't killed anything yet; there may be unimplemented features but nothing I've tried has been unsuccessful.

It doesn't seem like he has a thread up or anything, but https://github.com/MozeIntel/ProjectE

Took long enough for someone to do that. I guess Pahimar is finally going to kick it into high gear and finish EE3 now that he has some competition.....:laugh:

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Heh ok. I think I'll end up cheating in the AA. My general rule for this kind of stuff is to cheat something in if I feel compelled to try to put a weight on a key or a mouse button to simulate a button press.

The method I use for "manual" sifting nowadays is to turn off autopause(F3+p) so the game doesn't go to the menu when it loses focus, then I temporarily switch right click to something on the keyboard(I use comma). Hold down the button then alt-tab to another window. Minecraft will detect the button is held down but not that it was released and then spam right click until you alt-tab back.

The advantage of this over mouse keys is that you can do something else while minecraft chugs its way through 10 stacks of gravel or whatever. Effectively the same thing as cheating in a couple AAs but it makes me feel more clever.

Also, EE2 was an awesome/completely broken/completely awesome because it was completely broken mod. Hopefully this reboot doesn't nerf stuff in the name of balance like EE3 seemed like it was doing.

edgeman83 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 21, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So I've been playing FTB Monster since it has the most mods, but it still seems to be missing some that are in Direwolf20, plus I'm sure a bunch of other cool mods. What mod pack has even more?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I apologize if that was too much, but I'm pretty pissed off when multi-million dollar companies steal labor from people, and that's what this is. Even if Mojang somehow guaranteed that not a moment of Minecraft development is exchanged for Bukkit development in the coming weeks (as that's the only way they're not essentially willing to fund development when the volunteers leave), people were contributing to Mojang's assets without their knowledge, because Mojang chose to lie to everyone. I am certain that there are many people who would have done things differently if they'd known what was up.

EDIT: I mean look at this- https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukkit-ownership.121303/

Everyone thought it was a grass roots thing, including the staff member.

No, its cool, I'll admit I was being a bit of a dickhead myself and wasn't articulating my point very well (I was getting ready to run out the door, hence why its taken me so long to get back to this). I wasn't taking your original posts very seriously because it fell in line with a lot of stuff I see posted on reddit that falls under what I'd consider conspiracy.txt. While in your last post I can see your point of view pretty clearly now and while I can agree that it is a very good possibility, in my own opinion I am more likely to disagree, but again that is my own opinion.

I'm more inclined to think that Mojang bought Bukkit instead of doing some kind of license because Mojang has proven to be really stupid when it comes to business ventures and contracts and maybe because they didn't want to set a precedent of licensing usage of their code (for example if they made a license for Bukkit, but refused a license for Spigot or Forge for whatever reason could cause a lot drama). That said I will agree that having control of such a major part of their community probably did get considered when they wrote up the contract for it, if anything by at least Mojang's lawyers if only because I am less inclined to give Notch or Jeb the credit of having that much forethought into this.

My other issue is that even way after they were hired Dinnerbone, Grum and EvilSeph where still making contributions, though less as important, and that Grum still did a lot of work maintaining the tools that Bukkit uses as he wrote them. So I wonder why people didn't make any connections or assumptions that those three were being paid by Mojang to keep Bukkit maintained after Mojang hired him especially since all anyone talked about then was if Bukkit would be adapted as Minecraft's API (I almost want to say that I remember Dinnerbone mentioning that Bukkit was now part of Mojang, but I could admittedly be misremembering). I mean, the only reason that I know of that Dinnerbone and Grum stopped making contributions to the project was because EvilSeph quit to become the full head of Bukkit, which would allow Dinnerbone and Grum to focus on the game they were being paid to work on.

My last issue is more me trying to have some kind of faith that Mojang was more concerned with the impact of just letting Bukkit die would have on the community. I'd like to think that the Devs acknowledge that things like Bukkit and Forge are important to the community until an actual API is produced and that letting it die would be a major issue so it would be in Mojang's and the community's best interest for the founders of the project to step back up and keep it going for as long as needed. I can see that Jeb pushing the fact that Mojang actually owns Bukkit only because people were discussing if Mojang legally could take the project over. My biggest concern is how EvilSeph attempted to shut down the project, claiming it was because the EULA forced him to shut it down when he directly knew that wasn't the case. There is a second narrative there that I think has to do with his sudden departure from Mojang more than anything and that the wording was used to build up ire towards Mojang as the EULA is a hot topic right now. If what you said is true, I think saying he was shutting down the project because of bad dealings with Mojang and free labor would have been a larger bomb to drop on the public. But who really knows.

Again, these are just my own personal musing and I can totally see where you are coming from. There are a few narratives not being told in this story, I agree on that, but until more information comes out I am more inclined to just assume that Mojang is just incompetent and not malicious. Sorry for being so argumentative. :shobon:

30.5 Days posted:

4) Also Spigot is a bukkit-based vanilla server that is REALLY good and REALLY fast. I think MCPC+ includes many of its optimizations, though? I could be wrong about that. But the point is that if you want to use pure spigot, bukkit plugins are your best bet.

You got the right of this, MCPC+/Cauldron, while not developed by md_5 is built upon Spigot instead of Forge. Blood or whatever his name is that works on Cauldron supposedly works closely with md_5. As much as an rear end Blood makes out of himself in irc, Cauldron is a fairly good system, we use it on the WilsonSMP server.

MogMinner has an interesting take on this whole situation.

MogMiner posted:

Mojang "took over" two and a half years ago when EvilSeph, Dinnerbone, Grum and Tahg were hired, in the form of buying Bukkit (the name and the code) from Curse for a token amount. People seem to be forgetting that Mojang left Bukkit well alone to do its own thing until Warren attempting to discontinue it and pin the blame on us forced our hand.

So apparently they bought it from Curse? I remember reading in one of Dinnerbone's personal blogs somewhere that they had to marry themselves to Curse at one point or be forced to shut down because of expenses, if that was the case Bukkit had been owned from a point much further back.

Fake edit:
Found it

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 21, 2014

Heffer
May 1, 2003

You can compare and contrast the mod's included here: http://ftbwiki.org/Feed_The_Beast_1.6_Modpacks and the only other big ones I know is: http://www.atlauncher.com/pack/YogscastCompletePack/ and I guess http://www.atlauncher.com/pack/ResonantRise/

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Jon Joe posted:

So I've been playing FTB Monster since it has the most mods, but it still seems to be missing some that are in Direwolf20, plus I'm sure a bunch of other cool mods. What mod pack has even more?

Hi. Have a look at NST Maxx.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/nstmaxx.398172

We also have a PGS thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647713

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Maybe I'm just internet-dumb, but I've tried to find Yogscast Complete server for download, and failed miserably. Can some kind soul point out the proper place to pick up this server pack? tyia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

yegods posted:

Maybe I'm just internet-dumb, but I've tried to find Yogscast Complete server for download, and failed miserably. Can some kind soul point out the proper place to pick up this server pack? tyia.

You can download the server from the AT Launcher. It will download it into the AT Launcher folder and then you can move it wherever your server is hosted.

• Locked thread