Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I like the story of Raidou 1 better overall, especially the tail end of it. But other than that, Raidou 2 is just much, much better in general. Much better combat, much better fleshed out soundtrack (thank god). It does feel really recycled though, and the writing is pretty awful in a lot of places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It does feel really recycled though
They recycled the same demon 3d models in SMT3, DDS1&2, P3&4, DS1&2, and that MMO thing also used them, I think. You learn to embrace recycling in Megaten.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SelenicMartian posted:

They recycled the same demon 3d models in SMT3, DDS1&2, P3&4, DS1&2, and that MMO thing also used them, I think. You learn to embrace recycling in Megaten.

The difference with Raidou 2 is that it recycles nearly every dungeon from Raidou 1 (a lot of them are used for sidequests though, so don't worry), then it palette swaps major boss fights and dungeons over and over and over.

It also suffers from P4 syndrome, where it forces the player to sit down and listen to a recap of the investigation so far.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Man, Shin Megami Tensei II's a strange game.

It seems to be built around wasting your time. Like the Center's terminal being down, having to take the passage to Holytown way too many times and having to climb a 13 floor dungeon twice.

The game's plot is more interesting than I's overall when it pops it up, but halfway through it got sidetracked with looking for pillars and resurrecting dead deities which causes you to backtrack all over the map finding shrines and body parts and phew.

Game's still easy enough where I can auto battle everything, but man it's a slog at times. I'm in the Abyss for the second time and really hoping I'm getting near the end so things will start will getting interesting.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 20, 2014

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Man, Shin Megami Tensei II's a strange game.

It seems to be built around wasting your time. Like the Center's terminal being down, having to take the passage to Holytown way too many times and having to climb a 13 floor dungeon twice.

The game's plot is more interesting than I's overall when it pops it up, but halfway through it got sidetracked with looking for pillars and resurrecting dead deities which causes you to backtrack all over the map finding shrines and body parts and phew.

Game's still easy enough where I can auto battle everything, but man it's a slog at times. I'm in the Abyss for the second time and really hoping I'm getting near the end so things will start will getting interesting.

Abyss is the last third of the game or so, you can go through it fairly quickly..it's just a few dungeons and towns. In my opinion though it's the worst part of the game since it's pretty much just a bunch of generic stone cave dungeons/bosses with almost no depth, story or justification for their existence. One of the dungeons for example is this goofy boss rush of 12 palette swapped bosses which all die in 1-2 turns except the one that's immune to physical attacks.

The music is cool though, and the Abyss in SMT2 is also the first appearance (I believe) of a certain fan favorite demon in the series.
The last area of the game is boss though

edit: hellyeah I'm also a toiletlord apparently, like that one other smt2 boss

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just gave up on Raidou 1 halfway through (specifically after being dumped into a dungeon to cure the admiral's curse). I love everything about that game except for the actual game part which is clunky and terrible. I know all about the quality of life improvement in Abbadon, but seem unable to find a full synopsis for Soulless Army's plot online. Does anyone have a short list of things I need to know before playing 2?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I managed to gently caress myself in SMT1 by selling my Hero's sword after weapon shops stop selling melee weapons :saddowns:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rodyle posted:

I just gave up on Raidou 1 halfway through (specifically after being dumped into a dungeon to cure the admiral's curse). I love everything about that game except for the actual game part which is clunky and terrible. I know all about the quality of life improvement in Abbadon, but seem unable to find a full synopsis for Soulless Army's plot online. Does anyone have a short list of things I need to know before playing 2?
You don't really have to know much of anything. Some characters and references are made to 1 but they are just bonuses, 2 is its own game. I never played 1 and I was fine.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 21, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

First fight of the game and I can't BELIEVE how much better Raidou 2 feels.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

You don't really have to know much of anything. Some characters and references are made to 1 but they are just bonuses, 2 is its own game. I never played 1 and I was fine.

Pretty much this. Plus trust me when I say that summarizing the second half of Raidou 1's plot would only confuse you.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

It's not really a synopsis, but Luisfe's LP is pretty easy to skim through.

Raidou 2's best sidequest does involve a parallel world version of Raidou who's introduced in Raidou 1, though it's more for flavor than anything I call necessary.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Pretty much this. Plus trust me when I say that summarizing the second half of Raidou 1's plot would only confuse you.

I do know that the 2nd half of Raidou 1 involves going to space and fighting the Raidou from SMT 2 (Though that I only know because of the TBFP Podcast) attacking to prevent the nuclear apocalypse How any of this fits together is, I admit, a mystery.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I do know that the 2nd half of Raidou 1 involves going to space and fighting the Raidou from SMT 2 (Though that I only know because of the TBFP Podcast) attacking to prevent the nuclear apocalypse How any of this fits together is, I admit, a mystery.

You don't go to space. The cat does. :toot:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I will say that one thing Raidou 2 can't hope to match Raidou 1 for is box art, but that's because Raidou 1 has the best box art of any game except maybe The Mystery of the Druids.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rodyle posted:

I will say that one thing Raidou 2 can't hope to match Raidou 1 for is box art, but that's because Raidou 1 has the best box art of any game except maybe The Mystery of the Druids.
Is that the one where you knock out a beggar with pure alcohol to steal his money?

Is there a compilation of Raidou's scenes in Nocturne anywhere? Does he appear in the same areas as Dante?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there a compilation of Raidou's scenes in Nocturne anywhere? Does he appear in the same areas as Dante?

The best I know of are these three translations, but they're incomplete and only cover the text. He replaces every instance of Dante in the game, though Gouto is the one who does all the talking.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SelenicMartian posted:

Is that the one where you knock out a beggar with pure alcohol to steal his money?

And it still uses the same music for all his scenes and battles, which is a little odd.

Speaking of music, I noticed that the music for Kichijoji from SMT1 is very similar to the Puzzle Boy music from Nocturne. I love these little details.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Which game do people think has the best story? I've played Persona 3 and 4 and while I loved them I wouldn't say the story was the greatest.

I've been hearing really good things about 2's story though, and Nocturne's.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Of the SMT games?

Persona 4, although I couldn't get into 2's gameplay at all so I never beat that.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Innocent Sin has the best plot of any JRPG and I'll fight you if you disagree. I enjoyed the gameplay too but some people can't get into it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you could condense P3's story and maybe delete Fuuka's entire subplot it's pretty good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I want to say cheekily Nocturne, just because they managed to create a story where (SMT:N True Demon spoilers) "good lord, you're all assholes, gently caress this whole thing, let's just kickstart armageddon" ends up as the most logical and understandable choice.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mine is probably a threeway tie between SMT I (it's the first I played, so it's nostalgia there), Persona 3, and Nocturne.

Or the comedy option, Jack Bros.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Walker posted:

Innocent Sin has the best plot of any JRPG and I'll fight you if you disagree. I enjoyed the gameplay too but some people can't get into it.

I preferred Eternal Punishment, but the two form one big story together and function better when taken as a whole.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
I really liked Digital Devil Saga 1&2. They have a more dark and gritty storyline compared to most RPGs and your characters eating their enemies to survive storywise and incorporate that into gameplay is a nice twist. And I'm a sucker for mythology/religions with multiple deities, so the connections with Hinduism/Buddhism and the storyline's interpretation and symbolism (such as the Sea of Milk) of those religions were interesting to me.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
With regards to story, I like Persona 2 the best, and it was really interesting to see a similar situation being looked at from a juvenile and adult perspective. They also get a lot of great development through the optional dialogue in the locations around the city, so you can see little snippets of their personal lives as well as comments about the current plot points, etc.

Now when it comes to art direction, Nocturne and DDS1&2 have some of the most interesting aesthetics for environments and characters of the SMT series.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never been very impressed with the plot in SMT games. I'd probably go with DDS just because it was really interesting to me at the time without having the big alignment split (at least, I don't remember there being one), which is the point in an SMT game where the plot becomes really stupid. DDS2 gets kinda weird though. Alternatively there's Persona 4, where I was invested in the characters but the plot is just terrible. Raidou's pretty cool as well.

Atlus seems better at writing characters than they are at stories. They have interesting ideas but often poor execution.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Which game do people think has the best story? I've played Persona 3 and 4 and while I loved them I wouldn't say the story was the greatest.

The Persona 2 duology, followed closely by Persona 1 and the first Devil Survivor. Soul Hackers is also up there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Devil Survivor 1 hands down for me. They just absolutely nailed the desperate survival tone and it's absolutely amazing and makes the story of the sequel all that more disappointing that it wasn't nearly as good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

theblackw0lf posted:

The two Persona 2 games. I don't even think anything else in the MegaTen catalogue comes close even as a runner-up; most of the games are so minimalistic with their plots that it's usually just used as window dressing to give some excuse for why things happen. P4 has a great cast but the actual murder mystery plot is again just sort of there by necessity rather than be what draws people to the game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Well, I'm in dungeon Grus in Strange Journey and woha boy has this game ever been SNES SMT 1/2 as gently caress. But I'm pretty much ready for the ride to be over. The game is tons of fun, and its probably my favorite so far of the SMT main-lines games, and easily in the top 5 Megaten games. It does keep offering more dungeons to dive through which is great, but after the abuse of some of the teleporter dungeons I'm more than ready to be let off. I really hope the last sector isn't as big and gently caress offy as I suspect it will be.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

hubris.height posted:

Well, I'm in dungeon Grus in Strange Journey and woha boy has this game ever been SNES SMT 1/2 as gently caress. But I'm pretty much ready for the ride to be over. The game is tons of fun, and its probably my favorite so far of the SMT main-lines games, and easily in the top 5 Megaten games. It does keep offering more dungeons to dive through which is great, but after the abuse of some of the teleporter dungeons I'm more than ready to be let off. I really hope the last sector isn't as big and gently caress offy as I suspect it will be.
Grus isn't the last dungeon, and the last one is probably the size of 2 dungeons.

I really loved Strange Journey for a big chunk of it, it just went on for too long. By the end I was more than ready to be done with it, but when I think back on the game that's the part I remember. The dungeon design got way too sadistic for me, especially because I was thrashing the normal battles but would have to fight so many navigating the weird bits.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crosspost from the P4U thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZV5iUIGaE

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Was that Velvet Room remix in the original game?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
You are a slave. Want emancipation?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If P4A2 leaks anything like Persona Q did, we'll probably start getting story spoilers by Monday

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

theodore fans getting blown the gently caress out

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Captain Walker posted:

I managed to gently caress myself in SMT1 by selling my Hero's sword after weapon shops stop selling melee weapons :saddowns:

If I recall SMT1 properly, you're probably not hosed because past a certain point a gun loaded with Charm bullets will carry you through 90% of the game. Also the best and stupidly overpowered sword is one you find and then fuse IIRC, so don't fret. You may wish to double check my info though since it has been a while.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

If I recall SMT1 properly, you're probably not hosed because past a certain point a gun loaded with Charm bullets will carry you through 90% of the game. Also the best and stupidly overpowered sword is one you find and then fuse IIRC, so don't fret. You may wish to double check my info though since it has been a while.

I scraped past the Police Station AI which is immune to Gun, I don't know how I would have beaten the bosses in Ikebukuro. I got lucky though and my last save was right before Roppongi.

True story: SMT games have taught me more about the geographic make-up of Tokyo than about world mythologies.

E: SMT2 iOS says no English release now or ever. Is this true? Did SMT1 sell that poorly? :sigh:

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Walker posted:

I scraped past the Police Station AI which is immune to Gun, I don't know how I would have beaten the bosses in Ikebukuro. I got lucky though and my last save was right before Roppongi.

True story: SMT games have taught me more about the geographic make-up of Tokyo than about world mythologies.

E: SMT2 iOS says no English release now or ever. Is this true? Did SMT1 sell that poorly? :sigh:

That description was there before SMT1 got translated on iOS. SMT1 had the same line in its description too, but then it got translated out of nowhere.