Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a totally generic vampires + fighting + fanservice thing. Still better than Twilight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a totally generic vampires + fighting + fanservice thing. Still better than Twilight though.

Yup. Its Index, vampire flavor.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Almost anything with not-ugly vampires is "basically an X version of Twilight" as far as most 14-year-olds are concerned.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Thanks for the Level E encouragement! First two episodes were okay. Let's see where else this crazy train goes.

Now, I have a couple of questions, but first, I think I need to make a confession: Ever since my niece started living with me, she's been getting along with all the kids her age in the apartment complex and she... well, thanks to them, she's been getting into Twilight.

I mean, I understand: She's 14 and sort of into literary fiction, so of course she was going to run into Twilight sooner than later. Apparently, one of her friends who's just as much of an anime enthusiast as she is told her that Strike the Blood is basically a Japanese version of Twilight. Now, I have yet to see / read anything about this series, but because I find myself having a somewhat morbid fascination with what a Japanese version of Twilight might contain, I ask you: Is this true? Is Strike the Blood seriously a :japan:-flavored version of Twilight?

And the more important question: Am I a failure as a guardian for allowing this to happen? :negative:

orange marmalade is manwha twilight so get her to read that

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I probably liked Orange Marmalade more than I should have. :negative:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds surprisingly bearable, I suppose. Guess I would give it a whirl down the road.

glomkettle posted:

Almost anything with not-ugly vampires is "basically an X version of Twilight" as far as most 14-year-olds are concerned.

Teenagers are silly like that, I suppose.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Thanks for the Level E encouragement! First two episodes were okay. Let's see where else this crazy train goes.

Level E doesn't really get good until post episode 3.

But god drat does it get good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

Level E doesn't really get good until post episode 3.

But god drat does it get good.

Episode 3 was great though, I will fight you. :colbert:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a totally generic vampires + fighting + fanservice thing.

Rosario + Vampire, is that you? It's been so long.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Episode 3 was great though, I will fight you. :colbert:

I will settle for "episode 3 was much better than episodes 1 and 2"

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Thanks

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give any of the following a look; Gurren Lagaan, Redline, FLCL, Trigun, or Dead Leaves.

I enjoyed Gurren Lagaan more than I thought I would, though the last few episodes seemed to drag on a bit. Still looking for something similar to Toradora though, that's my recently established all-time favorite.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

Still looking for something similar to Toradora though, that's my recently established all-time favorite.

Did you watch Lovely Complex? Watch that.

Edit: no dub though, if that matters. Watch it anyway.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 19, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

NOTinuyasha posted:

I enjoyed Gurren Lagaan more than I thought I would, though the last few episodes seemed to drag on a bit. Still looking for something similar to Toradora though, that's my recently established all-time favorite.

Hmm, I'm tempted to recommend Kannagi, even though it's been ages since I've watched it. I want to say it hits some of the same notes as Toradora though.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm looking for an anime with a lot of random rules and mind fuckery. Something that has high production values within a limited amount of episodes. I'm watching Kaiji right now but it's a little off to me (10 eps in). Recommendations appreciated.

I guess I'm looking for more of a certain feeling than any specific genre.

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot
I hadn't really watched anime until recently. I really, really am enjoying Lain, what else would be in this vein? I like the oppressive atmosphere, the thoughtful themes, the deliberate pace of it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Texhnolyze

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

inexpensive meal posted:

I hadn't really watched anime until recently. I really, really am enjoying Lain, what else would be in this vein? I like the oppressive atmosphere, the thoughtful themes, the deliberate pace of it.

This is going to be kind of an uncommon recommendation, but if it's thoughtfulness and deliberation you're after, have you considered Legend of Galactic Heroes?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

inexpensive meal posted:

Boogiepop Phantom definitely and maybe Now and Then, Here and There, though that tells a much more straightforward (if depressing) story.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

inexpensive meal posted:

The tone is a bit different, but Kino's Journey has those qualities. Boogiepop is definitely a good suggestion, but with the caveat that it's a sequel and doesn't do much of anything to catch a new viewer up on the world.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

This is going to be kind of an uncommon recommendation, but if it's thoughtfulness and deliberation you're after, have you considered Legend of Galactic Heroes?

Yes, Legend of Galactic Heroes, a highly uncommon recommendation in the "Recommending Anime Thread Mark II - Seriously, Legend of Galactic Heroes".

(It is a good rec though.)

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot
Thanks!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Thoren posted:

I'm looking for an anime with a lot of random rules and mind fuckery. Something that has high production values within a limited amount of episodes. I'm watching Kaiji right now but it's a little off to me (10 eps in). Recommendations appreciated.

I guess I'm looking for more of a certain feeling than any specific genre.

Paranoia Agent sounds right up your alley.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

Paranoia Agent sounds right up your alley.

Seconding this. And adding Kaiba.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Recently finished Bodacious Space Pirates. I had a few nitpicks with it but eh who cares, it was a lot of fun. Are there any other good sci fi (or fantasy) comics/series prominently featuring gay characters? I've already read Qualia the Purple.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Alright I have a bit of tough one for you guys but I have faith you guys will kill it.

So I just read 20th century boys and when I started it I was convinced it was a masterpiece, however after each time skip I became less and less interested in it. I figured out that what I actually wanted was a fairly grounded piece set in post war Japan. I am looking for anything set in 50s 60s or 70s Japan that includes at least minor cultural or historical aspects.

Although barring that I will take anything set in Japan during those time periods.

EDIT: In return let me leave this recommendation of exactly the kind of thing I might be looking for and a wonderful manga in it's own right. A Drifting Life is a auto-biographical story of Yoshihiro Tatsumi's life as a mangaka from 1945 to 1960. It's quite excellent.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 21, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Your way works too posted:

Alright I have a bit of tough one for you guys but I have faith you guys will kill it.

So I just read 20th century boys and when I started it I was convinced it was a masterpiece, however after each time skip I became less and less interested in it. I figured out that what I actually wanted was a fairly grounded piece set in post war Japan. I am looking for anything set in 50s 60s or 70s Japan that includes at least minor cultural or historical aspects.

Although barring that I will take anything set in Japan during those time periods.

EDIT: In return let me leave this recommendation of exactly the kind of thing I might be looking for and a wonderful manga in it's own right. A Drifting Life is a auto-biographical story of Yoshihiro Tatsumi's life as a mangaka from 1945 to 1960. It's quite excellent.
IIRC Rainbow was set in that period, and was a serious prison story.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

DisDisDis posted:

Recently finished Bodacious Space Pirates. I had a few nitpicks with it but eh who cares, it was a lot of fun. Are there any other good sci fi (or fantasy) comics/series prominently featuring gay characters? I've already read Qualia the Purple.

Uhhh hmmm. Things to come to mind are Rinne no Lagrange (and that's more lesbian subtext, no one is actually outright a lesbian in that), and Kannazuki no Miko, which is uh, something. I enjoyed it, mind you, but I was aware I was watching something pretty dumb throughout. There was another thing with androgynous (like, born genderless but effeminate and they choose their gender at some point) girls piloting weird magic planes, but I forget its name. It was interesting, but really drat slow.

Only other thing I can think of is Blue Drop, which I wouldn't really recommend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kids on the Slope. Though it's mostly about jazz music in the 60s in Japan, it is really good.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Blhue posted:

There was another thing with androgynous (like, born genderless but effeminate and they choose their gender at some point) girls piloting weird magic planes, but I forget its name. It was interesting, but really drat slow.

Simoun. The magic planes were powered by lesbianism if I remember right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DisDisDis posted:

The main things that immediately spring to mind are a couple of Moto Haigo manga from the 80's: Marginal, which is set in a post-apocalyptic world where there are no women apart from a brood mother who gives birth to the rest of the population and A, A' which is a collection of romance stories with an SF twist, one of which is same-sex.

I'll probably think of some others later.

As an aside I find it quite amusing that Bodacious Space Pirates does having a gay couple better than 99% of anime just by treating it as perfectly normal.

Edit: I guess Utena is technically fantasy, watch that.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 21, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tetsuwan girl. its about womens baseball in post war japan

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Blhue posted:

There was another thing with androgynous (like, born genderless but effeminate and they choose their gender at some point) girls piloting weird magic planes, but I forget its name. It was interesting, but really drat slow.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Simoun. The magic planes were powered by lesbianism if I remember right.

Simoun was pretty good, even if there was more of a focus on the character drama than on the progress of the war.

It is definitely a case where everyone is born female, but I think it still qualifies.

wielder fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 21, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you don't mind the old art/animation, Ashita no Joe is a boxing anime/manga written during and set in the postwar period.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

If you don't mind the old art/animation, Ashita no Joe is a boxing anime/manga written during and set in the postwar period.

I love old art/animation. I have a question about Ashita no Joe though. Crunchyroll has Ashita no Joe 2 but not 1. Is that just a mislabeling situation or is there something I should be seeking out before I dive into it?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

I love old art/animation. I have a question about Ashita no Joe though. Crunchyroll has Ashita no Joe 2 but not 1. Is that just a mislabeling situation or is there something I should be seeking out before I dive into it?

Ashita no Joe is not licensed, so you'll have to find a way to watch that. Crunchyroll only has the second half of the show (which was made a decade later).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Seconding Kids on the Slope, both the anime and manga are great, but the anime has wonderful music and great production values so go with whichever you prefer.

You should also read Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms it starts in Hiroshima in 1955 and ends in 2004. It is only one volume long so hopefully you won't have the same problem with flagging interest due to the time skips.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Every time someone mentions Kids on the Slope I get it confused with Ghost Slide and wonder why the fake anime joke from 2006 still exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

wielder posted:

Simoun was pretty good, even if there was more of a focus on the character drama than on the progress of the war.

It is definitely a case where everyone is born female, but I think it still qualifies.

I thought there was plenty of focus on the war myself. Probably the best handling of war in an anime that I've seen too, given (mega-spoilers, do not read) it correctly doesn't dwell on the result of the war, but rather the reasons behind it and the consequences it brings, and shows every side as varying degrees of sympathetic without trying to make you cheer against the protagonists.

• Locked thread