Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

commish posted:

Pretty much. It's because of that explosion that everyone can (and should) wait on a QB. There's very little chance I take one of the top 10 QBs this year.

Would you still do this in a 6 pptd passing league with bonuses for 275, 350, and 400 yards? Along with 40+ yard completions/TDs? I feel like Manning could possibly be worth taking at my 6th overall pick, but I won with streaming Andy Dalton (who somehow finished 4th overall QB in my league) and Alex Smith, so I'll probably just stick to my usual strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RCarr posted:

Is there anything wrong with drafting 3 RB's and 3 WR's (or even 4+ of each) before taking a QB and TE? For some reason I get nervous in mocks when everyone has their starting roster filled and I don't have a QB or TE yet. Then again, I've been getting Cutler/Romo and Reed/Ertz as examples in later rounds, so with my solidified RB/WR corps, I shouldn't be worried right?

My league is a 10 team standard scoring, non-ppr.
QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-WR-FLX-TE-D/ST-K-IDP-IDP (I don't draft defenses, kickers, or IDP's)

Also, when waiting on QB's and TE's (round 10 or later?), should I be looking to get a backup of each and use a committee approach?

It depends on who is available.

Last year, you could get someone like Kaepernick or WIlson in Rnd. 6/7 in most standard drafts, so I would typically go RB, RB, WR, WR, RB, QB, TE, WR... or something like that. It would end up with me getting two 20+ point RBs, an average QB that peaked at the end when you needed, a promising backup RB that I ended up using for trade bait when other people had no RBs, an ok TE, and two ok WRs.

You have three WRs, so that changes things a little.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I take a qb right before defense and kicker, maybe a round or 2 earlier if someone I like slips.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.

jabro posted:

I don't see Charles regressing much this season. 12 TDs isn't that much for a #1 RB on a team where he is the main offensive weapon. I don't think it will happen but wouldn't be surprised to see more TDs. Now after this season that is another story.

Charles had 19 touchdowns overall last year (rushing and receiving). For comparison that is up from 8, 8, and 6 in his previous non injury shortened seasons. Which isn't to say he will definitely regress but that is a pretty huge jump.

e: just realized this was from 2 pages ago, oops

Psmith fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 21, 2014

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
This is kinda positive:

quote:

Le'Veon Bell paid his own way to Philadelphia and has joined his teammates for Thursday night's preseason game.

That's pretty admirable. Some guys would have just sulked at home. Please let this be a coming of age story with a happy ending where Tomlin drop-kicks Blount into the Allegheny river.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Would you still do this in a 6 pptd passing league with bonuses for 275, 350, and 400 yards? Along with 40+ yard completions/TDs? I feel like Manning could possibly be worth taking at my 6th overall pick, but I won with streaming Andy Dalton (who somehow finished 4th overall QB in my league) and Alex Smith, so I'll probably just stick to my usual strategy.

I'd still take the RB at the sixth position. I'd rather have Lacy + Romo than Manning + Knowshon.

That said, don't ignore value when a top QB slides. Though it'd have to be round 3 or 4 before I pull the trigger on Manning.

Psmith posted:

Charles had 19 touchdowns overall last year (rushing and receiving). For comparison that is up from 8, 8, and 6 in his previous non injury shortened seasons. Which isn't to say he will definitely regress but that is a pretty huge jump.

Can't ignore the other changes though. That's a totally new team with the new coach and QB. But the old fantasy football saying is, "don't chase touchdowns". Maybe not 19, but he doesn't need 19 in order to be a top 3 fantasy back.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Do y'all like Bradford or Tannehill as a backup/future QB in Dynasty. There is a 300 yard game bonus. I haven't been able to draft a decent rookie in years. I guess Jake Locker is out there too.

I also have Eli, but I've already decided I'm dropping him.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Psmith posted:

Charles had 19 touchdowns overall last year (rushing and receiving). For comparison that is up from 8, 8, and 6 in his previous non injury shortened seasons.

Under a completely new head coach and offense. He received 38 more targets than his previous max of 66 and had 35 more receptions than his previous max of 45, both in 2010.

Edit: drat your edit, commish!

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 21, 2014

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

District Selectman posted:

I wouldn't pay $50 for Peyton, but I would pay $30 for Brown. The catch 22 is that I value Brown more, but I know that elite QB's are over priced in my league. Is Peyton a "value" if I pay $15, he's worth $30, but will would sell for $50 on the market? Or Brown, who I'm only guessing will go for $30, but is probably worth $35?

It's a perceived worth vs. real worth vs. keeper value problem.

The difference in projected cost makes Manning way more valuable. If for nothing else, trade bait.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why aren't we favoring QB's more with the passing explosion we'll see with the illegal contact rules being enforced

It doesn't actually favor a specific quarterback, just the position as a whole. The differences between elite quarterbacks and average fantasy starters will likely remain the same.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
I definitely agree with the points about it being a new offense and team. He probably won't get 19 total TDs this year but it will likely be higher than his previous high of 8.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

headcase posted:

Do y'all like Bradford or Tannehill as a backup/future QB in Dynasty. There is a 300 yard game bonus. I haven't been able to draft a decent rookie in years. I guess Jake Locker is out there too.

They are both fine for spot starts this year. I believe Bradford was on pace for qb12 last year before his injury, or just short by a very small margin.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

headcase posted:

Tannehill has better athleticism and touch but is behind a considerably-worse o-line but with better receivers. The Rams have done the superior job of at least giving Bradford all the creature comforts a QB would need to excel. He has a superior blocking o-line, an established ground game, and a physical TE (Jared Cook) that I am surprised they can't get open more often (WRs to blame, perhaps).

I like Bradford as a short-term & seasonal backup but Tannehill is the better dynasty prospect.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aredna posted:

I made a thing based off of your scoring system and stealing Yahoo's projections. It's open to edit for anyone with link so hopefully no one screws it up for ya.

It can be worth grabbing a few of the top LBs a few rounds earlier, but if you miss out on them just stream as others have said.

I absentmindedly changed a couple values out of curiosity so the thing might be messed up for a couple minutes while I try to fix it :downs:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thanks for the sheets again! Looks like in 1 PPR, this has McCoy taking a pretty big hit, falling below Forte even.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey guys, if you could give me a hand by filling out this survey of league styles it would be really helpful so I can find out which sheets are the most common.

Done.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

So I'm already looking at trades in the preseason. I have Murray, LeVeon, Ellington and Gerhart for my RBs, another guy has Lynch, Gore, TRich and LawFirm. Non PPR. Would I be overpaying by offering LeVeon and Gerhart for Lynch?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey guys, if you could give me a hand by filling out this survey of league styles it would be really helpful so I can find out which sheets are the most common.

Would be cool if you could fill this out and have it spit out a beer sheet. The sheets are helpful but so much scrolling

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Kloaked00 posted:

So I'm already looking at trades in the preseason. I have Murray, LeVeon, Ellington and Gerhart for my RBs, another guy has Lynch, Gore, TRich and LawFirm. Non PPR. Would I be overpaying by offering LeVeon and Gerhart for Lynch?

I think that trade sucks for both of you and you'll get more value by holding on to those RBs.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Done :) Thanks for all you do man

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

disheveled posted:

I think that trade sucks for both of you and you'll get more value by holding on to those RBs.

IMO that deal favors the Lynch owner with what we know now. Bell will still be good, and Gerhart will get plenty of chances. One thing I notices about Bell was that RapeBurger loved using him as a safety valve. Most of his bigger yard plays came from a dump pass. QB trust is key to RBs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

In a PPR league with otherwise normal settings, which of these terrible options would you chose as your last keeper? No cost, we always keep four players (My others are Peyton, Decker, and Antonio Brown).

Toby Gerhart
Darren Sproles
Trent Richardson
Anquan Boldin

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

That's too much for Lynch. I think his touches take a hit this year, and I've said elsewhere that I am higher than most on Bell (Though, who knows after last night).

commish
Sep 17, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

In a PPR league with otherwise normal settings, which of these terrible options would you chose as your last keeper? No cost, we always keep four players (My others are Peyton, Decker, and Antonio Brown).

Toby Gerhart
Darren Sproles
Trent Richardson
Anquan Boldin

I would keep Gerhart, Antonio, and Peyton for sure.

Out of the rest... eh.... um..... probably TRich. I wouldn't touch Decker with a 90 foot pole, to be honest. If Vick was starting, maybe. If Geno, ugh. I think Decker finishes with something like 850 yards and 5 tds, which is waiver wire material.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

16 team keeper league, 0.5ppr, 6pt passing tds.
I can keep up to 3 players this year for the P price of the 15th, 31st, and 47th picks respectively (my first three rounds)

LeSean McCoy for the 15th pick is a given, my options for the other two spots are:
LeVeon Bell
Zac Stacy
Arian Foster
Doug Martin
Andrew Luck
Keenan Allen

Currently I'm leaning Bell and Stacy, then picking up a couple WRs with picks 63 and 66, then aim for someone in the Wilson, Cutler, Romo range with my next pick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pmchem posted:

heh, ok. Beer, where do you collect your projections from?

Footballguys, 4For4, CBS, ESPN, Gridiron Experts, Numberfire, FFToday, Fantasy Sharks, and probably one or two others that I don't remember because I am phone posting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Would be cool if you could fill this out and have it spit out a beer sheet. The sheets are helpful but so much scrolling

Got a book on MySQL and dynamic web stuff so I can figure that out during the offseason.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

16 team keeper league, 0.5ppr, 6pt passing tds.
I can keep up to 3 players this year for the P price of the 15th, 31st, and 47th picks respectively (my first three rounds)

LeSean McCoy for the 15th pick is a given, my options for the other two spots are:
LeVeon Bell
Zac Stacy
Arian Foster
Doug Martin
Andrew Luck
Keenan Allen

Currently I'm leaning Bell and Stacy, then picking up a couple WRs with picks 63 and 66, then aim for someone in the Wilson, Cutler, Romo range with my next pick.

Yeah I do think you go Bell/Stacy there.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm fretting over 6th out of 12th pick and my draft strategy in prep for my draft tonight. If CJ falls to 6th I basically have to take him, and at 18th I'm stuck drafting a RB like marshawn lynch or Gio if I'm lucky. If those guys are gone I'm really hoping for Antonio Brown, who I am super high on, especially with return yards. But then I have, what, zac Stacy and Toby gerhart at 3rd/4th rounds if I'm REALLY lucky? Is that a solid 4 round strategy for targeting or no?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Combo posted:

Yeah I do think you go Bell/Stacy there.

Can we talk about why Doug Martin is ranked below Bell for a second? Like, just a discussion, no dumb polemics.

I'm not sure why their rankings are so different, given Martin is the undisputed three-down bellcow, and Bell is in some unknown variant of a lovely timeshare. If anything, the TB offense will be even more run-heavy than PIT this year, no?

I get that Martin had a bad year last year, but still, I'm finding it hard not to view Martin as a value pick.

ShaneB posted:

I'm fretting over 6th out of 12th pick and my draft strategy in prep for my draft tonight. If CJ falls to 6th I basically have to take him, and at 18th I'm stuck drafting a RB like marshawn lynch or Gio if I'm lucky. If those guys are gone I'm really hoping for Antonio Brown, who I am super high on, especially with return yards. But then I have, what, zac Stacy and Toby gerhart at 3rd/4th rounds if I'm REALLY lucky? Is that a solid 4 round strategy for targeting or no?

Sixth is a horrible place to pick this year, in my opinion. The RBs in that stretch are underwhelming, and if you just go WR first you end up with an RB tire fire by the third/fourth round.

If you do go WR/RB, pick the RB who is low risk. Stacy or Martin or something like that, avoid Ellington et al. You need reliable production, even if the upside is a bit lower, because you are going to be rostering Tate or some other injury time bomb as your RB2.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 21, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Franks Happy Place posted:

Can we talk about why Doug Martin is ranked below Bell for a second? Like, just a discussion, no dumb polemics.

I'm not sure why their rankings are so different, given Martin is the undisputed three-down bellcow, and Bell is in some unknown variant of a lovely timeshare. If anything, the TB offense will be even more run-heavy than PIT this year, no?

I get that Martin had a bad year last year, but still, I'm finding it hard not to view Martin as a value pick.

His ADP is 3.03 in PPR ATM. I'd take him there and if he falls to 3.06 I'm most assuredly taking him.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

I'm definitely not adverse to taking him this year. I'm a little less worried now that it seems like his backups keep getting injured.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'll gladly take Martin as an RB2, but that obviously only happens in a scenario wherein he falls to the late 3rd/early 4th after I've already taken one of Charles/McCoy/Lacy/Forte/Peterson/Gio/Ellington/Lynch/Bell and at least one of CJ/DT/Dez/Julio/Marshall/Brown/Allen/Jeffery/Graham

I've yet to see that happen, but when it does, I'll enjoy my money.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

ShaneB posted:

I just had a draft on Yahoo last night going 6 out of 12. Check the rate my draft thread. I went Calvin, then the best RB available was Ellington so I took him. Cobb with my 3rd pick, Rashad Jennings with my 4th. It wasn't exactly pretty but I felt like I did the best I could with what was there.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
wrong thread

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Apparently Bell is the only one getting charged in Bluntgate, Blount was not even arrested and was allowed to leave the scene more or less right away.

Ugh.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Varg posted:

I just had a draft on Yahoo last night going 6 out of 12. Check the rate my draft thread. I went Calvin, then the best RB available was Ellington so I took him. Cobb with my 3rd pick, Rashad Jennings with my 4th. It wasn't exactly pretty but I felt like I did the best I could with what was there.

Time to do a few mocks I guess.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Varg posted:

Depending on what the board looked like, I might've taken a different WR than Cobb at 3, or waited until Rd. 3 for the first RB if there was a second stud WR available, but that's pretty much exactly how you handle that scenario

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Depending on what the board looked like, I might've taken a different WR than Cobb at 3, or waited until Rd. 3 for the first RB if there was a second stud WR available, but that's pretty much exactly how you handle that scenario

Is Cobb ranked that high? I have him as a possible keeper on the team I listed a few posts ago.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Toby Gerhart
Darren Sproles
Trent Richardson
Anquan Boldin

Gerhart

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Is Cobb ranked that high? I have him as a possible keeper on the team I listed a few posts ago.

Cobb is a tier 2 WR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

If I was picking 6th and you can play a tight end in the flex I'd really consider going graham -> Gronk -> best rb

• Locked thread