Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Who made that awful Manara rip-off? ... Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Technically that's where a head goes. Maybe from a different drawing, but it's geometrically in the right spot.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Chinaman7000 posted:

Technically that's where a head goes. Maybe from a different drawing, but it's geometrically in the right spot.

Doesn't look like a particularly great way to climb up onto a roof, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From Electra #5 by Mike Del Mundo.

He also did the X-Men Legacy covers which are some of the best covers I've ever seen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I actually like that she looks quite buglike and unsexy in this picture, but Manara just can't help himself.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That's really really really obviously a naked woman sketch that had superhero stuff drawn on after the fact.

How else could you draw her?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

People don't just look like they're naked but with different colours painted on regardless of how tight their clothing is supposed to be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Counterpoint: Starfire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Waterhaul posted:

People don't just look like they're naked but with different colours painted on regardless of how tight their clothing is supposed to be.

That may be the case, but I'm wondering if anybody else is seeing what I'm seeing. Of course that's not a real pose for a real woman, there's something creepy and Uno Morales-ish about it. It's just too freaky to find properly sexy, despite the lovingly rendered back muscles and prominent glutes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That may be the case, but I'm wondering if anybody else is seeing what I'm seeing. Of course that's not a real pose for a real woman, there's something creepy and Uno Morales-ish about it. It's just too freaky to find properly sexy, despite the lovingly rendered back muscles and prominent glutes.

I posted about this in the chat thread but it's literally a recolor of another Manara piece of a completely naked woman.

Well maybe not a recolor but you can see the similarities, nws obviously http://i.imgur.com/kxqZjxa.gif

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 21, 2014

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

zoux posted:

Counterpoint: Starfire.

She has Orange skin though, she's not in a skin tight Orange spandex outfit 24/7 (though if she did, with the stuff she normally wears, would actually make her fairly modest, superhero wise.)

The main off thing in the spiderwoman picture is that Butt cheek spread. Normal clothes, even skin tight stuff, will displace out at the apex of curves so it will not flow down into a sharp point like that. Considering when that's the first part you'll probably see when looking at the image, just from it being at the top of the image, to have that be that off is really unsettling. Her weird head position and seemingly lack of a left shoulder only make it worse when you scroll down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also protip: Don't GIS Milo Manara at work unless your work is cool with a drawing of a man fingering a woman's butthole.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

zoux posted:

From Electra #5 by Mike Del Mundo.

He also did the X-Men Legacy covers which are some of the best covers I've ever seen.

These are insane. Does he do full comics or just covers?

EDIT: D'oh, that top one isn't a cover. Answers my question!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

These are insane. Does he do full comics or just covers?

He does the interiors for Elektra but a different dude did the interiors for Spurrier's Legacy run (which is a fantastic book that follows Legion).

Afaik Elektra's his first Marvel interiors but he's done covers for Waid's Hulk run too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

(which is a fantastic book that follows Legion).

Who?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zoux posted:

I posted about this in the chat thread but it's literally a recolor of another Manara piece of a completely naked woman.

Well maybe not a recolor but you can see the similarities, nws obviously http://i.imgur.com/kxqZjxa.gif

Uh, that's not even close. It's clearly an original piece.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry, David Haller.

Uh, that's not even close. It's clearly an original piece.

Yeah I couldn't find the other one but it's got that same nude rear end spread thing going on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't see how they're remotely similar unless you're claiming that Milo Manara invented face down rear end up. I'm sure he'd be tickled at the implication, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The butt! The butt is similar!!! One lady is naked and one lady is ostensibly clothed but it's hard to get your butt to do that thing if you are clothed, even ostensibly so.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a stock pose. In fact, the modifications he's made to make her anatomy bizarre and spindly just reinforce my point; even with cheesecake Manara is better than the typical misbegotten comic book sex appeal artist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stupid sexy The Ant...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Sorry, David Haller.

I still do not know who you are talking about. Professor X never had a kid. (Read X-Men Legacy)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zoux posted:

Stupid sexy The Ant...

See what I mean? With an ostensibly creepier design and much worse grasp of anatomy, The Ant there looks like poo poo. Like a lot of Manara's compositions the sexuality is very obvious but it's not blatantly terrible art, like that crappy cover.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Can't believe Manara just traced that Ant cover. Shameful.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Spider-Woman is having a terrible week:

Lookit dat little leg nubbin!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Greg Land is a straight up deal breaker for me. Cannot, will not read books he draws.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

redbackground posted:

"Help me white Spider-Woman, I have no legs"

Dennis Hopeless & Greg Land - I hope that book lasts for years and these guys break the Bendis/Bagley record of working together. Just a nice little contamination zone title.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

redbackground posted:

So this is like some kind of weird fastball special right?

Spiders regrow their legs right?

zoux posted:

Greg Land is a straight up deal breaker for me. Cannot, will not read books he draws.

I used to be able to look past the art for the story, that's who I got through UXM and the first couple issues of the new Iron Man. But it's just so bad now that if I see his name, I won't even consider it, no matter how much I like the writer. There's too many other good books to pay for that poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Spiders regrow their legs right?

I used to be able to look past the art for the story, that's who I got through UXM and the first couple issues of the new Iron Man. But it's just so bad now that if I see his name, I won't even consider it, no matter how much I like the writer. There's too many other good books to pay for that poo poo.

I read my poo poo through Ultimate so it's only costing me time, that's how much I can't stand Land. I heard that the recent Mighty Avengers run is awesomely written but I'll never know because I'll never read it. There are other artists I hate but I'll read a Ramos book, say, if it's well written. Not Land.

RevKrule posted:

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Waterhaul posted:

This is how most comic books operate. Do you think you can see abs and biceps through clothing? I'm surprised you're just now noticing this.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

MY ABACUS! posted:

This is how most comic books operate. Do you think you can see abs and biceps through clothing? I'm surprised you're just now noticing this.

There are levels to it without being that erotic.

Though obviously it's Manara so y'know.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The thing is, it is highly erotic, and always has been. That's why they wear the underwear on the outside to begin with. Skintight Ken and Barbie stuff actually seems way creepier to me since they clearly aren't wearing any clothes and there is no attempt to depict "material". Spider Woman's costume is just straight up a painted nude. Not for nothing do they give Manara work, you get what you're asking for there. Why be coy, as long as we're doing this thing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Because superheroes and comics are still ostensibly for kids and not sexually maladjusted adults. There is literally no other reason to remain coy about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I admit I am biased because Manara is a skilled illustrator and there's nothing wrong with erotic art. It's definitely not comparable with the dross that looks like DC house style. The only other time I've found the character remotely appealing since being brought back was when Maleev drew her because he showed a little restraint and didn't give her F-cup breasts and made the costume look like a costume.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I admit I am biased because Manara is a skilled illustrator and there's nothing wrong with erotic art. It's definitely not comparable with the dross that looks like DC house style. The only other time I've found the character remotely appealing since being brought back was when Maleev drew her because he showed a little restraint and didn't give her F-cup breasts and made the costume look like a costume.

Maleev didn't really show that much restraint with some of the concept work stuff he did for the book. It has the same painted on costume but I think does a better job than Manara.

I think really the difference is more Marvel pushing this as a ~rare~ variant and the extra scrutiny around female solo books at the moment. It doesn't help to have that they have Land on interiors too which already set a precedent with the book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jess is one of the characters where artists are like, awww yeah I'm 12 years old again.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's really weird too, Spider-Woman has one of the least sexy and most visually unappealing costumes in comics and always has. I still have zero loving idea why no one at Marvel has commissioned a redesign in the last 10 years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think I'm probably way biased to Maleev too, plus his interiors are less indulgent and better suited to that Brubaker/Bendis/Rucka style.

mind the walrus posted:

It's really weird too, Spider-Woman has one of the least sexy and most visually unappealing costumes in comics and always has. I still have zero loving idea why no one at Marvel has commissioned a redesign in the last 10 years.

It's cause the character was brought back because she was one of Bendis' adolescent sexual fantasies. Her inexplicable allure was even a plot point.

Waterhaul posted:

I think really the difference is more Marvel pushing this as a ~rare~ variant and the extra scrutiny around female solo books at the moment. It doesn't help to have that they have Land on interiors too which already set a precedent with the book.

I get that, the cover is actually uncomfortable to look at but it's actually because it's gone the other way that you usually see defended in cheesecake. There's nothing winking about it at all, it's not sexy or teasing, it's just blatantly sexual.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

mind the walrus posted:

Because tits, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's cause the character was brought back because she was one of Bendis' adolescent sexual fantasies. Her inexplicable allure was even a plot point.

Was Bendis the one that invented the pheromones thing?