Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

axleblaze posted:

I saw an article on IGN wishing that Splatoon was a platformer, because if there's anything Nintendo needs it's more platformers!

It did say a Mario 64/Banjo Kazooie, which admittedly is a genre that is lacking games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
WB puts out like three N64 platformers a year.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

axleblaze posted:

I saw an article on IGN wishing that Splatoon was a platformer, because if there's anything Nintendo needs it's more platformers!

I mean I do agree that Nintendo needs more platformers because platformers are the best type of game genre and Nintendo typically knocks it out of the park when it comes to them BUT Splatoon is fine with what it is

edit: worst genre is rts

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wanna know why people are going apeshit over Spaghetti-O cans just because they have Nintendo characters on them. People are hoarding them thinking they'll be worth something in years to come(well outside of the obvious lets eat a 20 year old can of spaghetti to see what happens)

Hey look you just answered your own question

And besides, they won't be worth anything. How much would you pay for an ancient can of Spaghetti-Os promoting Super Mario World?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gay skull posted:

How much would you pay for an ancient can of Spaghetti-Os promoting Super Mario World?

That'd be a better thing to spend my club nintendo coins on than the poo poo they're offering now.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Are people going to lose their poo poo over Bayonetta then? I mean hell they're funding 2.

Well, people definitely got upset over Bayonetta 2 being funded by Nintendo, but I think those reasons were entirely different....

In any case, for anyone who was actually interested in it, Cubemen 2 finally has a release date (Sept. 4, 2014), so that's been added to the OP. In addition, Disney Infinity will be free to download on the eShop, starting today. You'll still need a figure and base to play of course, but at least now you only have to pay for the horrifically overpriced figures instead of both the horrifically overpriced figures and game.

edit: Also, for the first time (I think), we've got a third party including level sharing via Miiverse on the Wii U, so that's really neat to see someone other than Nintendo taking advantage of that!

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 21, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

It did say a Mario 64/Banjo Kazooie, which admittedly is a genre that is lacking games.

But that's not what they were giong for. I never understand this kind of criticism. "I wish it was *insert something COMPLETELY different*".

Like, if you watch Chopped on the Food Network, when it gets to the dessert round and Amanda Freitag is a a judge, she always says something like "I was hoping for chocolate," when the person made, let's say, a passionfruit creme-brulee. It's like "I made a loving passionfruit creme-brulee, I had no plan at any point to use chocolate, why are you faulting me for not using chocolate?"

I can guarantee that that game came into being because they wanted to make a fun online competitive shooter. That's the starting point and the rest of the game comes from it. It's not a legitimate criticism to say "I wish it was a platformer," when they only reason the game exists in the first place was because they had the idea to make an online competitive shooter.

That's a really cool car you made, Ferrari, but I wish it was a vaccuum.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Fremry posted:

That's a really cool car you made, Ferrari, but I wish it was a vaccuum.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there anything else out there similar to the Zelda minigame in Nintendo Land? Neither my mom nor my girlfriend ever play games but they both loving love chopping up pigs in that minigame, and it's kind of a bummer to reach the last level. With the Wii remote style of motion controls having fizzled out I doubt a full sequel game or any similar kind of swordy game will be coming out. I would seriously buy DLC levels for that thing.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Ultigonio posted:

In addition, Disney Infinity will be free to download on the eShop, starting today. You'll still need a figure and base to play of course, but at least now you only have to pay for the horrifically overpriced figures instead of both the horrifically overpriced figures and game.

poo poo, really? I've kinda always wanted to get in on this because my fiancee and I both love Disney, but it's way more expensive than most video game hobbying.

I guess the question here is can you even get the base separately? I've never seen it separate from the game.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Tender Bender posted:

Is there anything else out there similar to the Zelda minigame in Nintendo Land? Neither my mom nor my girlfriend ever play games but they both loving love chopping up pigs in that minigame, and it's kind of a bummer to reach the last level. With the Wii remote style of motion controls having fizzled out I doubt a full sequel game or any similar kind of swordy game will be coming out. I would seriously buy DLC levels for that thing.

Skyward Sword and (I think) Wii Sports Resort use the same type of controls for their swordplay, but other than that, I'm not sure what game combines that control scheme with an on-rails type of action.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Wild Knight posted:

poo poo, really? I've kinda always wanted to get in on this because my fiancee and I both love Disney, but it's way more expensive than most video game hobbying.

I guess the question here is can you even get the base separately? I've never seen it separate from the game.

No... as mentioned above this is likely a way to encourage people to buy 2.0 on Wii U.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ultigonio posted:

Skyward Sword and (I think) Wii Sports Resort use the same type of controls for their swordplay, but other than that, I'm not sure what game combines that control scheme with an on-rails type of action.

Red Steel 2's probably close enough.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

zenintrude posted:

No... as mentioned above this is likely a way to encourage people to buy 2.0 on Wii U.

Blergh. That makes sense, but still, blergh.

Well, we were probably going to grab 2.0 eventually because of the Avengers, so I guess that kinda works out except there probably isn't even any reason to go back to 1.0 after 2.0 so :confused:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Wild Knight posted:

there probably isn't even any reason to go back to 1.0 after 2.0 so :confused:

There are like 6 worlds (Pirates, Monsters, Incredibles, Cars, Toy Story, and Lone Ranger) that are exclusive to 1.0, so if you have any interest in playing those areas then this gives you the option.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Wild Knight posted:

Actually, I'm pretty darn sure you can get the base separately.

That said, it does look like the 1.0 and 2.0 bases will have slightly different functionalities, but a rep claimed that there will be a retail solution for those with the 1.0 base.

edit: Not to mention that I'd imagine they'll start making 2.0 bases available separately soon enough.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly, no nerds on the internet, not even IGN, should be worried about Splatoon.

Nintendo's M.O. on Wii U games that they announce SUPER early is to make passable trailers that are underwhelming as all hell in comparison to how decent the games are when they come out. It happened with 3D World. It happened with Tropical Freeze. It didn't happen with Mario Kart 8, but who cares. It should be obvious that a game we've seen gameplay of one level in one mode of will probably be full of alot more content closer to release.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Crawfish posted:

It didn't happen with Mario Kart 8, but who cares.
I don't know about you, but I straight-up did not care about MK8 when it was announced, and then I actually saw it in person and got really excited.

Also, they didn't announce 3D World "super early," they announced it less than half a year before release.
edit: actually, TF was technically announced the same time as 3D World and was MEANT to be released at the same time, though it ended up coming 2-3 months later. Still significantly less than a year between announcement and release.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 21, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Wait so you can't use the Wii U Gamepad to scan Disney Infinity figures?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

PoshAlligator posted:

Wait so you can't use the Wii U Gamepad to scan Disney Infinity figures?

No... but in this case it makes (somewhat) sense because you hot-swap out discs and characters as needed, and if you had to do that with the NFC on the controller it would be annoying.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

I don't know about you, but I straight-up did not care about MK8 when it was announced, and then I actually saw it in person and got really excited.

Also, they didn't announce 3D World "super early," they announced it less than half a year before release.
edit: actually, TF was technically announced the same time as 3D World and was MEANT to be released at the same time, though it ended up coming 2-3 months later. Still significantly less than a year between announcement and release.
Almost all of the response I saw to Mario Kart 8 after it's announcement was "poo poo that looks GOOD. And anti-gravity could even be a not terrible gimmick".

And while Tropical Freeze and 3D World weren't hugely early, they were both to most people fairly boring trailers that didn't sell many on the games at that point.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
eShop update:

Joystiq posted:

Wii U

•Disney Infinity (Disney Interactive, up to 4 players, free download)
•Mega Man VI (Capcom, 1 player, $5)
•Life Force (Konami, 2 players simultaneous, $5)
•Midtown Crazy Race (Jose Varela, 1 player, $5)

3DS

•XtremeSports (WayForward, 1 player, $5)
•Blazblue Clone Phantasma (Arc System Works, 1 player, $6)
•Demon King Box (Circle Ent, 1 player, $4)

Also, an eShop sale:

businesswire.com posted:

- Abyss is 25 percent off (reduced from $1.99 to $1.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 10 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

- Chasing Aurora is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

- Nano Assault Neo is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

- Boulder Dash-XL 3D is 66 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $1.69) until 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 27 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- European Conqueror 3D is 30 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $2.79) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 4 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Aeternoblade is reduced from $14.99 to $9.99 until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 7 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Nano Assault Ex is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Quell Reflect is 30 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $2.79) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Aqua Moto Racing is 25 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $5.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 18 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Edit: Made more readable.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 21, 2014

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Trent posted:

That'd be a better thing to spend my club nintendo coins on than the poo poo they're offering now.

Hahahahaha true. In 1997, Taco Bell had a kids meal promoting the N64, I'd rather get a nasty-rear end rotten bag of Taco Bell food that's been sitting in someone's backyard for seventeen years with one of those toys than the dollar store stuff or roms they're offering now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I still think a Wario game in the style of Mario Sunshine would be really rad. You wouldn't have the game breaking jetpack but you'd have all the Wario Land moves and being lit on fire or turning into a zombie, etc. And use those powers to traverse to collect stars.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
While I don't have it listed under the recommended games because I don't think it should be, I feel it's worth noting that Abyss is a pretty decent buy if you're into arcade-y games based around precise, careful movement like Lunar Lander.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I still think a Wario game in the style of Mario Sunshine would be really rad. You wouldn't have the game breaking jetpack but you'd have all the Wario Land moves and being lit on fire or turning into a zombie, etc. And use those powers to traverse to collect stars.
I'm guessing another qualification would be "Not being bad like Wario World"?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Naturally! I'm saying literally build a Mario 64/Sunshine-type game by Nintendo EAD but design it around Wario and his Wario Land moveset and enemies.

You can even have stars, but instead of collecting them to save the world, Wario is hoarding them in his vault or flipping them on the black market for some quick cash. So instead of requiring 20 stars to unlock a level in the hub area, you just bribe someone to look the other way and let you in.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be cool but they could make that same game, replace Wario with Mario and it'd sell triple the amount of copies

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

zenintrude posted:

No... but in this case it makes (somewhat) sense because you hot-swap out discs and characters as needed, and if you had to do that with the NFC on the controller it would be annoying.

Swapping out discs and characters? Sounds like me trying to install a game I got free with a PC magazine on floppy discs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

It'd be cool but they could make that same game, replace Wario with Mario and it'd sell triple the amount of copies
They could do that but the last several Mario games have all been Run To The Flagpole games and it's possible that that's the future for Mario games.

I feel like if we get another Mario game for Wii U it will be Mario 3D World 2.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Help Im Alive posted:

"Triple" would be an understatement.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I feel like if we get another Mario game for Wii U it will be Mario 3D World 2.
That's very likely not going to be the case. Besides that, what on earth makes you think that they'd aim for non-linear level design for Wario if they wouldn't do it for Mario? Did you play the last few Wario games?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well it's not like I expect games that I come up with in my head to be made, so let's refocus here. I'm just saying it would be cool.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Sure, I can agree with that. In general, I'd like Nintendo to allow one of their external devs to approach 3D platforming again. I guess they just don't wanna' 'cause the genre's considered "niche" nowadays if your box doesn't have Mario or Sonic on it, and it requires a pretty decent amount of time and money to make a good-sized 3D platformer that isn't filled to the brim with padding while also controlling well and so on and so forth.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

That's very likely not going to be the case. Besides that, what on earth makes you think that they'd aim for non-linear level design for Wario if they wouldn't do it for Mario? Did you play the last few Wario games?

When did they say this?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wonder if I can snag some Club Nintendo coins for downloading Disney Infinity even though I don't have any figures

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

When did they say this?
No explicit statement, but there's this and also my hope that their Tokyo division wouldn't be horrifyingly unoriginal enough to do a sequel to a sequel for a 3D Mario.
edit: If someone points out captain toad then you are dumb because that form of gameplay did not appear in 3D Land

Astro7x posted:

Wonder if I can snag some Club Nintendo coins for downloading Disney Infinity even though I don't have any figures
I'd bet you could, plenty of free downloads get you at least 5 or 10 coins.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 21, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

No explicit statement, but there's this and also my hope that their Tokyo division wouldn't be horrifyingly unoriginal enough to do a sequel to a sequel for a 3D Mario.
That quote doesn't sound convincing to me:

quote:

"Now that's not to say that we may not make more games in the vein of Super Mario Galaxy in the future. I'd certainly like to consider that possibility. But our goal right now is to expose as many people as possible to this type of gameplay in a 3D World. And I think what we've come up with here is the most balanced system in which to do this."

It sounds more like "Yeah we COULD do more Galaxy-type games, but we like this type of Mario more right now".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fremry posted:

- Abyss is 25 percent off (reduced from $1.99 to $1.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 10 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

- Chasing Aurora is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

- Nano Assault Neo is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

- Boulder Dash-XL 3D is 66 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $1.69) until 9 a.m. PT on Aug. 27 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- European Conqueror 3D is 30 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $2.79) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 4 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Aeternoblade is reduced from $14.99 to $9.99 until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 7 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Nano Assault Ex is 25 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $7.49) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Quell Reflect is 30 percent off (reduced from $3.99 to $2.79) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 11 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

- Aqua Moto Racing is 25 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $5.99) until 9 a.m. PT on Sept. 18 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Thanks for the post.

Does anyone know if any of these are any good?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Trent posted:

Does anyone know if any of these are any good?

Abyss:

Ultigonio posted:

While I don't have it listed under the recommended games because I don't think it should be, I feel it's worth noting that Abyss is a pretty decent buy if you're into arcade-y games based around precise, careful movement like Lunar Lander.

And also Nano Assault Neo.

Do not buy Aeterno Blade.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
We were talking about Pikmin 3 towards the end of the old thread. Just thought I'd pop in and let you all know I started a Pikmin 3 LP this morning. We're going in pretty blind, and we'll be playing through the entire story over the next few months. If you're on the fence about that game, go ahead and give it a watch.

Besides some of the ground textures, that game is just... pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Just got my WiiU back from Nintendo with a big fat stupid letter saying it was diagnosed as No Fault Found, despite it still not reading any discs. Goddamnit! All the guy on the phone could say was that it probably worked with the discs they used, which makes no sense to me since all my discs stopped working at exactly the same time and they were all fairly varied in terms of publisher and stuff so what the gently caress?

It feels like I've been bullshitted, but at the same time why would they do that, and how would the processes allow that? But on the other hand, how is it possible that a fairly unambiguous problem of every disc coming up as invalid not be reproducible? This time I've sent one of my games with it, but that still feels pointless.

I just want to play some sweet Nintendo games :(

• Locked thread