Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

panascope posted:

largest war machines piloted by a guy in a bathtub.

It's actually full of nutrient broth and pee-poo.
Septic warriors, attack!
:goonsay:

panascope posted:

Hail Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

panascope posted:

Hail Satan.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hail the great hivemind.

Or hail Chaos. It just kinda depends on my mood.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

Also where this army of space fascists fight another army of space fascists

But not THOSE fascists. gently caress those guys.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

I'm playing Nids in an escalation league kicking off next month. It's starting at 750pts, Battleforged lists only, with no flyers allowed (they come in at 1,000pts). Whatever I build into my list needs to be used for the rest of the campaign.

I was going to run:

Tyrant w/ 2x BLDevs
3 x Hive Guard
3 x Warriors w/ Deathspitters and Barbed Strangler
5 x Genestealers
Exocrine
Biovore

This is pretty shooty should do okay-ish, right?

Having said that, I'm toying with going for a full assault MC army. It might be pointless but it should be hard to stop:

Swarmlord
5 x Genestealers
5 x Genestealers
Malanthrope
Carnifex w/ 2x ST
Carnifex w/ 2x ST

I would probably expand this with the goal of getting the Manufactorum Genestealers formation and the Subterranean Swarm one as well.

Just how stupid is going all assault?

Ran these lists in a pair of warmup games last night.

The Assault list actually did okay, but I was playing Blood Angels. Wrecked a drop podding Furioso after it munched my Stealers, managed to catch a Razorback and wipe some Death Company with the Swarmlord but then lost the Malathrope and Fexes to some lucky Assault Cannon shots and a Psychic Shriek (dear jeebus do I hate psychic shriek). Lost 7-4 on VPs but it was close until that one turn.

The Shooty list was nearly tabled in turn two by IG with a Inquisitor throwing Prescience on 3 Lascannon teams, and an Executioner tank commander getting Monster Hunter.

Back to the drawing board...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

But not THOSE fascists. gently caress those guys.

And THAT army of fascists are really bad, dont use those.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Half the armies in 40k are fascists though, I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more descriptive.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HiveCommander posted:

Half the armies in 40k are fascists though, I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more descriptive.

The ones with the super colorful armor.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The ones with the super colorful armor.

I think he's talking about the ones with chainsaw swords.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

As long as they aren't those drat space commies, we're fine and dandy :clint:

I'm reading through the Grey Knight rumors thread over on dakka. Their ":supaburn: OMG SKY IS FALLING WHY YOU HIT ME WITH NERFBAT GW :supaburn:" never fails to entertain.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hi thanks for coming in to games workshop today, we've got some really cool kits out *pulls back curtain revealing space dog sled* that'll be a hundred dollars

Oh that doesn't do it for you okay what about these *gestures to 20 year old Eldar jetbike kit* games workshop has high quality kits that fit every taste!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

Just had a problem. It left a rather noticeable "white film". I'm currently reading about how to correct this. From isopropyl alcohol to a second coat of non-krylon. :argh:

Like a murky translucent finish?

Testors (probably any brand, really) gloss will eliminate it, don't understand why at ALL. Wait for it to dry then top with matte.

Also, don't spraypaint in freezing cold temperatures or when the humidity is super high.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
So let me see if I get it: GK no longer have Inquisitors, Assassins or henchmen. Inquisition will get their own book that will be battle brothers with GK, while Assassins will get their own dataslate and become available to all imperials.

On the bright side, the weapons seem good, GK will be the undisputed masters of Sanctic with hefty warp charges (hello, army-wide +2 Strength on at all times!) and great dispelling, and they lost the whole Psychic Pilot shenanigans. And Draigo finally gets a decent weapon so he can do more than scratch terminator armor.

I can see quite a few good armies here, with the big ceveat that anti-tank is now tricky for GK without cheap, troop-slot melta henchmen galore. But they are not the GK armies 80% of the people out there have. I'm glad I got back to my senses right before ordering Draigo, 2 boxes of GK termis and a strike squad back at Maelstrom, thinking "Hey, I can have a second army quite cheap after all!".

Warhammer 40k: It's _never_ cheap.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wait, if Wolves on Fenris are actually mutated space marines, does that mean the space sled is being pulled by a bunch of mutated men wearing chains and dog collars?

Because if it is, then its definitely not a Slaanesh cult

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

Wait, if Wolves on Fenris are actually mutated space marines, does that mean the space sled is being pulled by a bunch of mutated men wearing chains and dog collars?

Because if it is, then its definitely not a Slaanesh cult

No no, it's mutated men wearing chains and dog collars in a good way, duh. :shepface:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

I'm reading through the Grey Knight rumors thread over on dakka. Their ":supaburn: OMG SKY IS FALLING WHY YOU HIT ME WITH NERFBAT GW :supaburn:" never fails to entertain.

lol

youre an idiot

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sephyr posted:

So let me see if I get it: GK no longer have Inquisitors, Assassins or henchmen. Inquisition will get their own book that will be battle brothers with GK, while Assassins will get their own dataslate and become available to all imperials.

Close, the Inquisitors is already out and are Battle Brothers with all Imperials.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

lol

youre an idiot

I thought you got banned.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

As long as they aren't those drat space commies, we're fine and dandy :clint:

I have a friend who is doing this right now. I am pretty sure he is simply bitter than he can no longer stuff Psycannons into the back of Chimeras, and slowly grind up the board, murdering poo poo - he has to put them in the back of Rhinos, and worry about Salvo!!! He's been making comparisons to the 5th edition Tyranid book, and also posted a variant of the "First they came for the..." poem focused on GW and nerfing.

I don't think he was kidding with the poem.

That's not to say GK didn't each some nerfs, and some aspects of the book are really rough compared to other 7th Edition drops - the Warlord table, specifically, has some real stinkers - but it's not really a surprise, either. Quite a few things got buffed (Purifiers balance out Salvo by being ML2, Librarians are hella cheap for ML3 and Terminator Armor, Dreadknights are cheaper, etc,) and a lot of it is likely just the "oh no a new book this is awful!" phase everyone seems to go through with an update.

The real problem is that GW is pushing Unbound by removing Force Org altering characters in favor of Formations. This is cool if you are playing in events that allow Unbound or with some friends, but it does take those players with Draigo + Paladin armies (and I know of at least three in my area, alone) and cuts them out. Saw it some with the Orks, too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
GW would have still been very playable if they'd either given them a new gun that was range 48 strength 8 or kept Psybolt ammo just for vehicles.

As it is, they need to get to 24 inches to shoot anything worth a drat, and against Skimmers like Wave Serpents, you just wont get close enough to do enough hull point damage.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug

Shadeoses posted:

40K lore: The Decree of Passivity states that no member of the Ecclesiarchy can have a standing (male) army, so they are mostly protected by the Sisters of Battle and random zealots who are pointed at the enemy. This makes sense for temple guards and bodyguards. What happens when a high-ranking Cardinal owns an entire planet, like a Shrine World? Wouldn't they need a PDF, SDF, that sort of thing?

Hey, sorry to drag this up from before, but as for the lore question, the Ecclesiarchy used to have the Frateris Templar, which was their official standing army, and the one now forbidden under the Decree of Passivity.

They get around that now by calling up Frateris Militia, which is still basically a PDF standing army of zealots and other soldiers.

Though some particular Shrine worlds also have IG regiments attached, though not under the Ecclesiarchies' control, such as the Maccabian Janissaries from the Only War RPG series.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

GW would have still been very playable if they'd either given them a new gun that was range 48 strength 8 or kept Psybolt ammo just for vehicles.

As it is, they need to get to 24 inches to shoot anything worth a drat, and against Skimmers like Wave Serpents, you just wont get close enough to do enough hull point damage.
Don't get me wrong, it's looking fairly clear that the army is less able to compete with the top tier lists. At the same time, a lot of people seem to be thinking GK are just utter garbage now, when they'll do perfectly fine - and potentially, very well, depending on how they shake out - against more mellow armies.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

I thought you got banned.

Even in death I still post.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Can someone recommend me a good company where I can buy some shipping containers? Preferably ones that can stack as my club needs more LOS blockers.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

BeigeJacket posted:

Can someone recommend me a good company where I can buy some shipping containers? Preferably ones that can stack as my club needs more LOS blockers.

I'm just going to pretend you mean full-size shipping containers, and that your club has issues with people staring at each other.

I find this amusing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I don't know why you're all so upset about Grey Knights. If you want to run a Paladins list, just go unbound. If you're concerned about long-range fire support, just run Tau as allies. It's so easy

hail satan

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

If you paint gloss varnish over this it will sort this issue out. Its caused by the varnish trapping water molecules as it dries which bubble out and leave tiny pits which dont reflect light in the same way as the varnish around them. The gloss fills those pits and you can then matte it down afterwards.

I'm guessing it was the humidity last night. I hit a few pieces inside and didn't have the same results.

Already hit it with another coat of Ardcoat and it looks tons better, so now to wait for a non-humid day or just spray it while inside.

Thank you and everyone else. I was afraid I would have to start over from scratch.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 21, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't know why you're all so upset about Grey Knights. If you want to run a Paladins list, just go unbound. If you're concerned about long-range fire support, just run Tau as allies. It's so easy

hail satan

They're still 'perfectly fine' and might do 'potentially, very well' against certain armies so stop complaining ok?

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

TheChirurgeon posted:

hail satan

Not to mention you can still add in Inquisitors and Assassins, and now every Imperial player can too.

Heck, if you want to go old school Codex: Daemonhunters, you can use Militarum Tempestus and add Stormtroopers.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Moola posted:

They're still 'perfectly fine' and might do 'potentially, very well' against certain armies so stop complaining ok?
Dark Angels can only have their day in the sun once every other book is a smoldering ruin.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Von Humboldt posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's looking fairly clear that the army is less able to compete with the top tier lists. At the same time, a lot of people seem to be thinking GK are just utter garbage now, when they'll do perfectly fine - and potentially, very well, depending on how they shake out - against more mellow armies.
"They're not utter garbage! They're for playing against casual armies, I don't know why you're all so upset."

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Von Humboldt posted:

Dark Angels can only have their day in the sun once every other book is a smoldering ruin.

At which point they'll promptly end up being folded into Codex: Space Marines.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
To my surprise I ended up getting a freebie Space Wolves badge with an order I placed last week. I'm pretty sure GW giving something away for free is a sign of the apocalypse. It was nice knowing you all :ohdear:.

Is this a new thing? I don't usually order direct from them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Not to mention you can still add in Inquisitors and Assassins, and now every Imperial player can too.

Heck, if you want to go old school Codex: Daemonhunters, you can use Militarum Tempestus and add Stormtroopers.

And this only costs like $1000 in books alone so tbh you should happy GW is giving you this opportunity to own more books.

It's fine.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Karl Rove posted:

"They're not utter garbage! They're for playing against casual armies, I don't know why you're all so upset."
"First they came for the Tyranids, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Tyranid.
Then they came for the Orks, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Orks.
Then they came for me — and there was no one left to speak for me."

Changing the GK Codex, literally the Holocaust to some.

edit:

ChrisAsmadi posted:

At which point they'll promptly end up being folded into Codex: Space Marines.
I'm all for buffing Dark Angels.

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 21, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I am literally shaking.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BeigeJacket posted:

If you're willing to wait a month or two Reaper will be releasing bonesium shipping containers on the cheap. If not they're nut terrible to make with plasticard.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Moola posted:

I am literally shaking.

My penis inside the GW store, gtg I think they're calling the fuzz!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Moola posted:

I am literally shaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sykic posted:

To my surprise I ended up getting a freebie Space Wolves badge with an order I placed last week. I'm pretty sure GW giving something away for free is a sign of the apocalypse. It was nice knowing you all :ohdear:.

Is this a new thing? I don't usually order direct from them.
When they opened the new webstore you got a free captain for spending $100. You also got a voucher to buy a second, different one for $30 so I guess what I'm trying to say is that GW giveth and GW taketh away.

• Locked thread