Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Thinking about picking up one of the Nobunaga's Ambition games on PSN. Which one is better, Rise to Power or Iron Triangle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Japanese voice DLC will be tomorrow for PC.

khorma
Jun 23, 2011
Looks like the Japanese voice DLC is available for free on Steam. I wonder if it's better than the unofficial patch!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the japanese voices have voiced lines for everything right? including all the stuff that is now silent like camp talk and map talk? cause i don't care about japanese voices per se but i would like the game to be less eerily silent at times

khorma
Jun 23, 2011
The unofficial patch had pretty much everything. Voiced in camps, and in between battles, etc. Lip sync was there too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What exactly do I have to do to use the (official) Japanese language pack? It says an option in the sound menu should be there but it isn't.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
I don't think you can use it unless Steam downloads it, which it won't do if it's not listed under right click properties-DLC, which I don't think it is for anyone, because I dunno some jank way Koei or Steam dealt with the free everyone-gets-it DLC.

Bought Special Costume Pack 1, turns out Thunderpeal Blade is just an extremely weak 5 star weapon for Cao Pi and not an actual new weapon. Boycotting Tecmo Koei, it said Complete Edition, what's up with all this DLC, filing complaint with consumer protection org, grrr grrr etc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ExMortis posted:

I don't think you can use it unless Steam downloads it, which it won't do if it's not listed under right click properties-DLC, which I don't think it is for anyone, because I dunno some jank way Koei or Steam dealt with the free everyone-gets-it DLC.
Any idea how I fix that? The green button by that DLC just says "play game".

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I figured out what each pack is, for anyone who wants to know.

Hopefully this makes deciding which pack to get easier since they don't really show what the costumes are on Steam, but those links do. Each pack supposedly carries all of the individual packs listed in the links (Instead of just 1 kingdom, the Steam packs have all of them).

PureRok fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 21, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

The school themed costumes own.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hahaha, the only DLC I really cared about, the one that added the revolver crossbow, is loving fourteen dollars. That this game has two hundred dollars of DLC is completely insane- at least it's a totally complete game without any of it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up really turning off a lot of casual buyers who look at the game during a sale, see $100 of DLC even when it's discounted, and presume that the game is DLC-whoring piecemeal trash.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
There are already posts on the Steam forum from people asking where their DLC is since they bought the "Complete" edition and can't find the DLC in-game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Any idea how I fix that? The green button by that DLC just says "play game".

The Japanese voice DLC appears broken for a lot of people according to the steam forums. For one, it's an entire 0 bytes.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 21, 2014

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Why is there no Chinese Voice Pack DLC? :argh:

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Enallyniv posted:

Why is there no Chinese Voice Pack DLC? :argh:

Something something, choose one:
  • Availability of bilingual actors
  • Cost efficiency
  • Grolious Nippon
  • Not enough native demand
  • Not enough proficient applicants

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wait doesn't China actually get localized versions of Dynasty Warriors with Chinese voice acting? I swear that used to be a thing at some point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I know they mostly get pc versions because of the old console restrictions.

But I've always found the demand for Japanese voices funny with the main DW due to that. Its understandable for the anime and samurai warriors games but ROTK characters speaking Japanese is as goofy as them speaking English. I suppose the Japanese dub does have its own endearing camp though.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 21, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

None of the recent ones have had a Chinese dub. I think DW3 had one, and so did one of the later RoTKs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Policenaut posted:

Wait doesn't China actually get localized versions of Dynasty Warriors with Chinese voice acting? I swear that used to be a thing at some point.

The Chinese version of Orochi Z I played had translated text and menus but Japanese VA.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mokinokaro posted:

The Japanese voice DLC appears broken for a lot of people according to the steam forums. For one, it's an entire 0 bytes.

Yeah, doesn't even start downloading for me.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
There seems to be an impressive number of people getting really gamers.txty about how the DW8XL Complete Edition is called "complete" but doesn't include DLC.

It would have been nice for it to all be packaged up together but I feel there is perhaps not much merit in demanding refunds and threatening legal action for this grave crime.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Enallyniv posted:

There seems to be an impressive number of people getting really gamers.txty about how the DW8XL Complete Edition is called "complete" but doesn't include DLC.

It would have been nice for it to all be packaged up together but I feel there is perhaps not much merit in demanding refunds and threatening legal action for this grave crime.

Well if it doesnt have all the stuff it should, then its not really complete now loving is it? The backlash makes perfect sense to me.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not gonna demand a refund, but I'm sure as gently caress not buying any of the DLC. Don't call it Complete if it has so much DLC it costs ~4x the price of the game. Also, the Japanese VA demands is mainly weeaboos who will crow about how "superior" the Japanese VA work is while not understanding a word of it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Well if it doesnt have all the stuff it should, then its not really complete now loving is it? The backlash makes perfect sense to me.

"Includes all of the DLC" isn't written anywhere on the store page.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

straight jerkers posted:

"Includes all of the DLC" isn't written anywhere on the store page.

Do you understand how the concept of "implied meaning" works? Implying that it has all DLC through the name and then not including it isn't illegal, but legal isn't equivalent to moral or good business ethics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Complete" means it includes Xtreme Legends and the original game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I believe pretty much every 'complete edition' has included all previous DLCs and such, with the weirdness that is Europa Universalis 3(Where the 'Complete edition was released before more stuff came out, so the 'complete edition' isn't the one you're after if you want EVERYTHING), and the issues with UMVC3(The DLC's been withdrawn outright, so even if you have the physical game somehow, you can't get the DLC) being notable recent exceptions.

On the other hand, we also recieved DLC that was 'pre-order only' in the East in the Puccho stuff and the Divine Fox.

It's difficult to blame people for being annoyed at this, especially given the pricing.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

I believe pretty much every 'complete edition' has included all previous DLCs and such, with the weirdness that is Europa Universalis 3(Where the 'Complete edition was released before more stuff came out, so the 'complete edition' isn't the one you're after), and the issues with UMVC3(The DLC's been withdrawn outright, so even if you have the physical game, you can't get the DLC) being notable recent exceptions.

Both Mass Effect and Borderlands had those sorts of collections which didn't include all DLC.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's an egregious amount of DLC and I won't buy any of it, but "I bought (x) edition, that means I get everything" isn't actually backed up as something you should reasonably expect, especially if they're releasing DLC after the release.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 21, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

"Complete" means it includes Xtreme Legends and the original game.

com·plete adjective \kəm-ˈplēt\
: having all necessary parts : not lacking anything

: not limited in any way

: not requiring more work : entirely done or completed

Koei uses it to mean one thing, but the connotation of the word is that of having EVERYTHING.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

com·plete adjective \kəm-ˈplēt\
: having all necessary parts : not lacking anything

: not limited in any way

: not requiring more work : entirely done or completed

Koei uses it to mean one thing, but the connotation of the word is that of having EVERYTHING.

"The dictionary said (X)" has absolutely no bearing on anything when it comes to the titles of games and trying to act like it does is incredibly childish. Was it stated anywhere, at any point? Was it even implied in any way but "the title say complete?"

It is called the Complete Edition because it contains both DW8 and DW8:XL. This information was plainly available with even five seconds research, as was the fact that DLC was coming down the line. It's fine to be disappointed that the DLC is so ridiculously pried but if you honestly thought 'complete edition' means "I get all DLC free forever, even if it's released after the game comes out," I'm not sure what to say. This isn't a surprise or unexpected.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 21, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Well it did have everything that was available at the time it was released. :v:

We can argue semantics all day but the weird thing is the pricing. I got all this DLC for the PS3 when it came out and it was all way cheaper.

Also some sorry soul is going to pay $15 for the bladebow and that's just terrible.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The title says Complete is a perfectly valid reason because the vast majority of customers are not going to see "Complete Edition" and look up whether or not "Complete Edition" actually means complete or just kind of complete, because they shouldn't have to. No one should have to assume that the words in a game's title that describe what content is in it are being used to mean something other than what they're commonly understood to mean. Just because Koei CAN do that, doesn't mean they SHOULD do that.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's a loving stupid naming scheme but the fact that "complete editions" often come out before some DLC even exists should tip people off, unless they assume it's a season pass kinda dealio.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Wasn't the DLC out for the 360/PS3 versions before the PC Complete Edition? I don't have any consoles besides a PS2 and an FC Twin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The title says Complete is a perfectly valid reason because the vast majority of customers are not going to see "Complete Edition" and look up whether or not "Complete Edition" actually means complete or just kind of complete, because they shouldn't have to. No one should have to assume that the words in a game's title that describe what content is in it are being used to mean something other than what they're commonly understood to mean. Just because Koei CAN do that, doesn't mean they SHOULD do that.

Again, this is not a case where it is anything but what advertised. This is not the first nor last time that a collection has not contained all DLC content.

Mass Effect Trilogy was billed as "the Definitive Mass Effect Experience" and didn't contain all the DLC. Nobody bought Game of the Year editions and went "wait, this isn't actually Game of the Year! I've been lied to!"

If they had said "this contains all the DLC" or whatever, sure, that would be a completely legitimate reason to feel ripped off, but I don't think that was ever said or implied. Don't believe advertising without forethought.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 21, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The console version of the complete edition came out way before all the DLC, not that you'd know without looking it up.

Be a savvy consumer. Google poo poo.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

quakster posted:

The console version of the complete edition came out way before all the DLC, not that you'd know without looking it up.

Be a savvy consumer. Google poo poo.

To add to this. The current DW games have had a crap load of DLC, all ridiculously priced on consoles. There's precedent. Granted, PC gamers aren't used to the way Koei prices and releases their DLC so I can understand the frustration.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Bloodly posted:

Does that also have 'healing injured ally officers by running near them and pressing something'? That's what they've gone with, from what little I've seen-ally captains don't fully die and disappear(presuming they're not mission-critical), but they'll be a non-factor till you go to them and seemingly press something to heal them.

That's new in Reborn, and there's no button. You just get in range after they cry about being near death and they get the boost. There's even a character skill to increase the healing amount, but I have no idea why you'd ever take it, since there's almost never mission critical mobile suits, and it won't help Archangel in that one Ultimate scenario (that was honestly not particularly hard anyway, but still).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's not just Koei. This has become the norm for Japanese publishers. Their gaming and anime industry is now catering heavily to the whales.

Edit: \/ it's been escalating for the last decade or so though. The industry in general is in a slow decline and they seem to think milking the whales more and more will save it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

It's not just Koei. This has become the norm for Japanese publishers. Their gaming and anime industry is now catering heavily to the whales.
If by "now" you mean since its inception, then yes.