Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Clearly government weather control is a thing, that's why liberal commie obama is making the west coast suffer massive droughts for being not liberal enough. :freep:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's another interesting thing - with conspiracy theories, big, shadowy corporations and big, shadowy governments seem pretty interchangeable. And the more involved or extreme the conspiracy theorist is, the more the line between left-wing and right-wing seems to fade.

I suppose a reason for that would be that the more paranoid you are, the more it looks like everyone is out to get you.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Munin posted:

My favourite *conspiracy connections* thing I saw recently was this one:

Simply because I have not a clue about what should spring to the eye at that point.

It is linked to this kind of conspiratorial thinking:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26566406/The-3-City-States
http://xi4.com/2012/08/04/the-hidde...wns-us-and-how/

Red and white colors and some lines, stars and a cross, don't you see how they're all linked? Silly sheep, the government got to you

duz posted:

With cigarettes, what else? Do you even pay attention to the surgeon general?

I honestly wonder if they would make up a conspiracy claiming cigarettes are healthy because the government says they're bad? Hell, I'm almost tempted to spend some time making one up just to troll
I can definitely see one based around the SG's warning being the reason people are swapping to E-cigs or something that are secret government CIA tools

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Tias posted:

Yo Chupe, we miss you in the psych ward thread! :allears:

I miss that thread too! I've been placed permanently in the "old and very very bonkers ward" have been tempted to necro the thread with a witty new tittle, I was thinking "dawn of the nearly dead"

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Seventh Arrow posted:

Out of amusement, I've been watching a show on Netflix called "Unsealed: Conspiracy Files" or something like that. I'm quite amazed (maybe I shouldn't be) that the conspiracy crowd thinks that government weather control is a thing. I mean, I'm no scientist, but it seems like if you wanted to engineer something like a tornado or a tsunami, it would take a crazy amount of energy.

But then again, I guess if you've taken a dive into the conspiracy pool you could just say that they've been harnessing the power of red mercury or something.

OH poo poo its on Netflix? I caught 1 or 2 episodes on the history channel back in the day and it was seriously the most bonkers, insane thing with its pacing. I think my favorite was Human Depopulation. I could never find it again, but now that I know where to look...

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Seventh Arrow posted:

Out of amusement, I've been watching a show on Netflix called "Unsealed: Conspiracy Files" or something like that. I'm quite amazed (maybe I shouldn't be) that the conspiracy crowd thinks that government weather control is a thing. I mean, I'm no scientist, but it seems like if you wanted to engineer something like a tornado or a tsunami, it would take a crazy amount of energy.
What do you think HAARP was for! :tinfoil:

Doesn't help for justification they point to weather modification - something real other governments actively do and ours considered once and is considering again. (Weather modification is just cloud seeding either to kick up or knock down clouds/storms)

Radar Anomalies is one of my favorite weather conspiracies. It takes random hiccups or actual radar phenomena (such as a hail spike, late returns, and double returns) as proof that radar is a microwave/high energy device to do...something.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Lightning Jim posted:

proof that radar is a microwave/high energy device to do...something.

Tell them it's secretly for tracking large objects.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
HAARP isn't even in operation anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49xDfGPYvVY

Obviously because they've now put its discoveries to use for other control machines :tinfoil:

The very unusual East Coast earthquake a couple of years ago had an epicenter near DC and Joe Biden was visiting China at the time. Clearly there is a secret arms race.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

While crazies will talk about things like HAARP controlling earthquakes, weather control is very real. It is an instrumental component of the chemtrail program. Probably the best example of it was cloud seeding prior to the Beijing Olympics to 1) ensure clear skies and 2) rain out as much of the pollution as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_Weather_Modification_Office

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shbobdb posted:

It is an instrumental component of the chemtrail program.

um

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Most attempt to debunk truthers' truthiness seemed useless. Why don't we try to explain to the truthers (especially hardcore ones) that the "big government/lizards are doing these stuff for the greater good of humanity, you just only need to put your faith on them!"
:colbert:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

I think the joke is that cloud seeding involves literal trails of chemicals.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SocketWrench posted:

I honestly wonder if they would make up a conspiracy claiming cigarettes are healthy because the government says they're bad? Hell, I'm almost tempted to spend some time making one up just to troll
I can definitely see one based around the SG's warning being the reason people are swapping to E-cigs or something that are secret government CIA tools

Maybe Obama's anti-smoking campaign should've been for him to just keep smoking. If Michelle encouraging people to drink more water turns into the right running stories about the danger of drinking water, imagine how much it would help curb smoking!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Sir Tonk posted:

Maybe Obama's anti-smoking campaign should've been for him to just keep smoking. If Michelle encouraging people to drink more water turns into the right running stories about the danger of drinking water, imagine how much it would help curb smoking!

Well tap water does have flouride in it in a lot of places, so that pretty much proves that Michelle is in cahoots with the Illuminati and/or Majestic 12. Hell, they're probably even putting gluten in the water these days just as a mind control one-two punch.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Begemot posted:

Fluoride is highly poisonous, but only in quantities vastly larger than are in water/toothpaste. But that is why you're not supposed to swallow your toothpaste.

If it's poisonous in high quantities, will it gently caress me up somehow in lower doses? I feel like I should be too smart to worry about this stuff, but I have chronic gum sores and worry it will mess with me.

Fake edit: I really don't know why flouride would be bad for me, I blame my parents generation sperging over stuff that didn't matter.

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

I miss that thread too! I've been placed permanently in the "old and very very bonkers ward" have been tempted to necro the thread with a witty new tittle, I was thinking "dawn of the nearly dead"

You should!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Tias posted:

If it's poisonous in high quantities, will it gently caress me up somehow in lower doses? I feel like I should be too smart to worry about this stuff, but I have chronic gum sores and worry it will mess with me.

That depends. Do black helicopters converge on your location whenever you consume it?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tias posted:

Fake edit: I really don't know why flouride would be bad for me, I blame my parents generation sperging over stuff that didn't matter.

Nah. There are a lot of things that you need to have in your diet to live that are poisonous in high quantities. I mean, a fatal dose of fluoride is 5-10 grams depending on body weight. There are 2.433 milligrams of fluoride for every 3 liters of tap water. You would probably die of water poisoning before you died of fluoride poisoning.

The symptoms of fluoride poisoning are leg pain and stomach irritation. Gum sores are something else, ask your dentist and/or dermetologist about it!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tias posted:

Fluoride is highly reactive to say the least, so if it gets into places it shouldn't in you body it can attach itself to all sorts of things that it shouldn't and gently caress things up. Hell, oxygen is also crazy reactive and pure oxygen is nasty, dangerous stuff, breathing pure CO2 is also ill advised unless you want a painful death, but a bit of it in the air is fine and absolutely necessary if you want to see plants stay around. Look at it like this, your body needs iron right? But would you swallow a pound of iron filings? No, you wouldn't. And there are lots of things like that, sugars are fine in moderation, but eat tons of them and you get diabetes, fluoride is no different.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
e: ^^^^ Some types of liver (bear?) can make you sick due to high concentrations of things like iron.

You can die from drinking too much water. IIRC it does something like gently caress with your system and basically makes it short circuit, but you'd have to drink gallons of water in a fairly short period for it to happen. The floride people are on the same level of :fuckoff: as anti-vaxxers.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 25, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's because the fluoride people likely are anti-vaxxers. There's a lot of overlap between those and all of the other conspiracy theories. Most conspiracy theorists are just predisposed to believing this stuff

Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories

Michael Shermer at Scientific American posted:

On Wednesday, May 16, I spent several hours on a hot bus in a neon desert called Las Vegas with a merry band of British conspiracists during their journey around the Southwest in search of UFOs, aliens, Area 51 and government cover-ups, all for a BBC documentary. One woman regaled me with a tale about orange balls of energy hovering around her car on Interstate 405 in California, which were subsequently chased away by black ops helicopters. A man challenged me to explain the source of a green laser beam that followed him around the English countryside one evening.

Conspiracies are a perennial favorite for television producers because there is always a receptive audience. A recent Canadian Broadcasting Corporation documentary that I participated in called Conspiracy Rising, for example, featured theories behind the deaths of JFK and Princess Diana, UFOs, Area 51 and 9/11, as if there were a common thread running throughout. According to radio host and conspiracy monger Alex Jones, also appearing in the film, “The military-industrial complex killed John F. Kennedy” and “I can prove that there's a private banking cartel setting up a world government because they admit they are” and “No matter how you look at 9/11 there was no Islamic terrorist connection—the hijackers were clearly U.S. government assets who were set up as patsies like Lee Harvey Oswald.”

Such examples, along with others in my years on the conspiracy beat, are emblematic of a trend I have detected that people who believe in one such theory tend to believe in many other equally improbable and often contradictory cabals. This observation has recently been confirmed empirically by University of Kent psychologists Michael J. Wood, Karen M. Douglas and Robbie M. Sutton in a paper entitled “Dead and Alive: Beliefs in Contradictory Conspiracy Theories,” published in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science this past January. The authors begin by defining a conspiracy theory as “a proposed plot by powerful people or organizations working together in secret to accomplish some (usually sinister) goal” that is “notoriously resistant to falsification … with new layers of conspiracy being added to rationalize each new piece of disconfirming evidence.” Once you believe that “one massive, sinister conspiracy could be successfully executed in near-perfect secrecy, [it] suggests that many such plots are possible.” With this cabalistic paradigm in place, conspiracies can become “the default explanation for any given event—a unitary, closed-off worldview in which beliefs come together in a mutually supportive network known as a monological belief system.”

This monological belief system explains the significant correlations between different conspiracy theories in the study. For example, “a belief that a rogue cell of MI6 was responsible for [Princess] Diana's death was correlated with belief in theories that HIV was created in a laboratory … that the moon landing was a hoax … and that governments are covering up the existence of aliens.” The effect continues even when the conspiracies contradict one another: the more participants believed that Diana faked her own death, the more they believed that she was murdered.

The authors suggest there is a higher-order process at work that they call global coherence that overrules local contradictions: “Someone who believes in a significant number of conspiracy theories would naturally begin to see authorities as fundamentally deceptive, and new conspiracy theories would seem more plausible in light of that belief.” Moreover, “conspiracy advocates' distrust of official narratives may be so strong that many alternative theories are simultaneously endorsed in spite of any contradictions between them.” Thus, they assert, “the more that participants believe that a person at the centre of a death-related conspiracy theory, such as Princess Diana or Osama [bin] Laden, is still alive, the more they also tend to believe that the same person was killed, so long as the alleged manner of death involves deception by officialdom.

As Alex Jones proclaimed in Conspiracy Rising: “No one is safe, do you understand that? Pure evil is running wild everywhere at the highest levels.”

On his Infowars.com Web site, Jones headlines his page with “Because There Is a War on for Your Mind.” True enough, which is why science and reason must always prevail over fear and irrationality, and conspiracy mongering traffics in the latter at the expense of the former.

Conspiracy theorists most often believe in the same things as other conspiracy theorists, and they'll even believe in contradictory theories.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Seventh Arrow posted:

But then again, I guess if you've taken a dive into the conspiracy pool you could just say that they've been harnessing the power of red mercury or something.

I'm quoting this because I'm a few episodes in and it's really bananas. It just blasts barely connected factoids and flashing images with crazy talking head speakers (some over webcam or with a webcam effect). What makes it so different from other sorts of shows like this (that I've seen) is that it seems to have zero interest in pretending at verification; it's literally "the Montauk Monster is a government experiment from this nearby island. Did you know that this island is similar in shape to another island some Nazi doctor the US brought over post-WW2 liked? Well he also liked ticks, so this place may be from where lyme disease came from. Remember Tuskeegee? What happens when some new killer disease gets loose?" The episodes seem to bleed into each other because at some point it decided to talk about mind control but I could swear that was at the beginning of the disease episode where they connect mad cow disease to creating, literally, an "army of zombies". And I could swear it mentioned HAARP before talking about how Nostradamus predicted that James Cameron (Avatar) funding asteroid mining would result in a man-made cataclysm.

Here's the link for US viewers! Also inside: lovely effects!

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80001420?trkid=13462100

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shbobdb posted:

It is an instrumental component of the chemtrail program.

The poop is touching the thread.
Sorry, I meant: Move along, civilian, operation C.U.N.T.F.L.A.P. will proceed whether you have found us out or not :tinfoil:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Allright, I won't worry about toothpaste, then. Thanks for putting up with me!

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: ^^^^ Some types of liver (bear?) can make you sick due to high concentrations of things like iron.

Bear liver contain potentially lethal amounts of Vitamin E, or something like that. There was an SA forums article about it, Retarded Customer Questions, where someone who worked at a pharmacist would get people calling in and asking retarded poo poo.

Fake e: Here it is:

quote:

There was once a customer at my store who would constantly ask if we were going to order a special item for her. It usually went like this:

Old lady: "So I heard that bear livers have a high amount of vitamin E in them, is that true?"

Store: "Yes, a toxic amount."

Old lady: "Well I need lots of vitamin E, could I just eat a little bit of the liver?"

Store: "No, you will die."

Old lady: "I'll be careful, can you order it for me?"

Store: "We won't sell you bear liver."

We had a hundred other ways of getting her the proper amount of vitamin E but she wanted bear liver for some reason.

:ughh:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Vitamin A, actually. And it's not bear liver in general, it's polar bear liver specifically. And some seals and arctic foxes and the like. Carnivorous arctic mammals, basically. Liver from other bears (black, brown, panda, etc) is generally fine.

e: not that I'd recommend it, mind. Just, you know, if you had to

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 26, 2014

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Vitamin A, actually. And it's not bear liver in general, it's polar bear liver specifically. And some seals and arctic foxes and the like. Carnivorous arctic mammals, basically. Liver from other bears (black, brown, panda, etc) is generally fine.

e: not that I'd recommend it, mind. Just, you know, if you had to

Husky liver too. I read about some guys dyin' because they said "Hey let's eat our sled dogs, dog liver's OK right?".

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

babies havin rabies posted:

Husky liver too. I read about some guys dyin' because they said "Hey let's eat our sled dogs, dog liver's OK right?".

That was the Australasian Antarctic Expedition

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-most-terrible-polar-exploration-ever-douglas-mawsons-antarctic-journey-82192685/

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Now I'm wondering about Inuit liver. I mean, I'm not a biologist and don't know the mechanism involved, but they tick all the boxes. Arctic, mammal, carnivore.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ReidRansom posted:

Now I'm wondering about Inuit liver. I mean, I'm not a biologist and don't know the mechanism involved, but they tick all the boxes. Arctic, mammal, carnivore.

If you decide to test this remember to pair it with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Inuit liver might be pretty cirrhotic, to be honest. I remember a documentary about life in Nunavut, and how it's actually cheaper to import booze up there than stuff like milk or whatever :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Sorry to interrupt liver chat, which I had no idea was a thing, but the crisis actor people are back

http://blackbag.gawker.com/james-foleys-sister-was-not-a-crisis-actor-probably-1628482593

Are we at the point where it's now just an internet competition to come up with faces that look alike for every news story? It doesn't even seem like a conspiracy thing anymore.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Conspiracy theorists basically believe that the more people there are who try to disprove their their theories, the more merit it has because "shills" are being more aggressive or something.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
As interesting as all this big-ticket conspiracy theory stuff is, I've actually been more interested lately in the small-scale conspiracy stuff.

What's the motivation behind the conspiracy theorists latching on like a pitbull to stuff like the the Zoe Quinn thing? I've even literally seen people (in an otherwise sane forum) calling it "Quinnspiracy" and ticking off all of the conspiracy theorist insanity - poorly sourced images, completely nonsensical arguments based on pages and pages of meandering and pointless documents, etc. and so on.

It's not the first time I've seen this sort of behaviour though. A lot more people seem willing to jump on these "small-scale" conspiracies that would be averse to coming out in favour of the big stuff. Is it just because saying the big stuff would make them seem crazy, but they think that this sort of conspiracy theorist behaviour is more socially acceptable at an individual level, but they WOULD latch on to the larger ones if it was equally acceptable?

Or is it just that otherwise non-conspiracy-minded individuals will hop on the bandwagon when its against something that threatens their preconceived notions?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think it's elaborate as you think. Nerds in particular are threatened by girls who move in on their space. Guy who might have known her posts "proof" shes a total slut and they use it as ammo against her. I mean he knew her personally what else could you need to question her character?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think it's elaborate as you think. Nerds in particular are threatened by girls who move in on their space. Guy who might have known her posts "proof" shes a total slut and they use it as ammo against her. I mean he knew her personally what else could you need to question her character?
Oh, no, I understand that.

It's that people are seriously using terms like "black flag attacks", "conspiracies", they are busting out the screen shots and scribbling all over them with red mouse pointer, it's just so weird to see all this stereotypical conspiracy behaviour focused on something so... mundane, I guess?

Although I suppose it's not all that different from the weird celebrity conspiracy stuff.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
It's a fandom thing, I think. I've seen similar behavior amount Supernatural fans who believe the two male leads in the show are lovers but the evil network is keeping them in the closet. Elaborate theories about how is he wears one color and the other guy wears a matching color they're totes together, etc. before Supernatural there similar theories about the main actors in the Harry Potter series and before that Lord of the Rings. Elaborate charts and photos and horrible bashing of opposing fan groups and the actual significant others of the actors. The LotR conspiracy theorists got called the Tinhatters for a reason.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

platedlizard posted:

It's a fandom thing, I think. I've seen similar behavior amount Supernatural fans who believe the two male leads in the show are lovers but the evil network is keeping them in the closet. Elaborate theories about how is he wears one color and the other guy wears a matching color they're totes together, etc. before Supernatural there similar theories about the main actors in the Harry Potter series and before that Lord of the Rings. Elaborate charts and photos and horrible bashing of opposing fan groups and the actual significant others of the actors. The LotR conspiracy theorists got called the Tinhatters for a reason.

I have actually never been exposed to this sort of thing. That's pretty crazy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've seen very similar things posted about Anita Sarkeesean, badly pixelated screenshots written over in MS Paint to show that she faked the twitter death treats sent to her, and schizo-typal videos using "evidence" like her boyfriend's public Flickr account to argue that she's a front for his radical political program and he brainwashed her. Just absolutely batshit stuff from people who you'd just expect to be ractionary shitbags.

I think it's just a case of people adjusting their beliefs to conform to what they're most eager to believe. Like, maybe they wouldn't listen if this poo poo was about that crashed Malaysia Air flight or the Newtown shooting, but because they really want to hate this woman talking about video games, they just run with all the bullshit.

I saw a very similar thing happen with an acquaintance on facebook who went apeshit posting anti-vaccine garbage around the time the Affordable Care Act was about to pass. It turns out he is extremely conservative and was really afraid of Obamacare, so he just descended into any avenue of the internet that gave him a reason to disagree with it. A few months later he started posting links to Evidence-Based Medicine and the CDC, maybe to make up for the crazy poo poo he posted earlier.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
So I guess FYAD is the equivalent of the Illuminati in the Zoe Quinn thing

http://pastebin.com/rFX1pTfX

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So they saw Karl Rove's people destroy Dan Rather over Bush's Vietnam record and they though, "Man, I need to get me some of that!"

watho posted:

Conspiracy theorists basically believe that the more people there are who try to disprove their their theories, the more merit it has because "shills" are being more aggressive or something.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

platedlizard posted:

So I guess FYAD is the equivalent of the Illuminati in the Zoe Quinn thing

http://pastebin.com/rFX1pTfX

LF, much like :ussr:, can never die. Also FYAD has officially ascended to Internet Illumnati.

• Locked thread