Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Chitin posted:

This is called a "wet room." It's super common in many of the more crowded Asian countries and in ridiculously contemporary designer bathrooms that show up in architecture magazines.

If you thought beer showerin' was good stuff, wait till you try beer shower deucing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

boo_radley posted:

If you thought beer showerin' was good stuff, wait till you try beer shower deucing.

Throw a couple eye bolts in the ceiling for my sex swing and you can have this here blank check.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Chitin posted:

This is called a "wet room." It's super common in many of the more crowded Asian countries and in ridiculously contemporary designer bathrooms that show up in architecture magazines.

In my in-laws apartment, the squat toilet is basically the drain for the shower.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A wet room is the ideal go-to solution for elderly people who can't get safely over the step into a shower stall (much less a leg over a tub wall) and can afford a final bathroom remodel. My grandma loves hers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where are shower stall lips so high that they give people trouble?!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
My brother lived in a studio while he was teaching English in Korea that had a wet room. Was novel as gently caress until you realize everything in the bathroom gets wet every time you shower, including the toilet (hope you took that poo poo before you showered), so you can't leave anything out.

Furthermore now go back into the bathroom to brush your teeth or do whatever. Its like when it rains when you're camping, no matter what you do you will be getting a little wet.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Where are shower stall lips so high that they give people trouble?!

My grandfather can barely do the ~4 inch steps up his front porch, and that's when he's completely dry and wearing shoes with good traction. It doesn't have to be particularly big to give people like him trouble.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

My brother lived in a studio while he was teaching English in Korea that had a wet room. Was novel as gently caress until you realize everything in the bathroom gets wet every time you shower, including the toilet (hope you took that poo poo before you showered), so you can't leave anything out.

Furthermore now go back into the bathroom to brush your teeth or do whatever. Its like when it rains when you're camping, no matter what you do you will be getting a little wet.

I was wondering about just this. You'd really need a good sized area or one with a heck of a slope and a long curtain to have dry space by the sink and toilet.

I'd still love a bathroom like a wet room, but with a small lip for the shower area.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Finding whoever last showerd's pubes in your toothbrush must be a real loving joy.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

c0ldfuse posted:

Brush your teeth while taking your shower dump. You also shouldn't have anything on your bathroom sink that would be ruined by getting wet.

The only issue is you'd need to keep your toilet paper in a bread box or something but I mean you already have some kind of rig to hold your beer while you shampoo so it shouldn't be too complicated to set up.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Finding whoever last showerd's pubes in your toothbrush must be a real loving joy.

You can brush and floss at the same time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's possible that room was converted for my grandfather to use, I guess, although it's been like that for as long as I can remember (20+ years). I guess he would have been in his 60s when I was born though, so it's still possible.

cobalt impurity posted:

The only issue is you'd need to keep your toilet paper in a bread box or something but I mean you already have some kind of rig to hold your beer while you shampoo so it shouldn't be too complicated to set up.

Who needs toilet paper? Just make the showerhead one of those handheld ones that can clip to the wall, and it can double as a bidet!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
At least in Japan, the wet room often has a tub and maybe some other stuff to be used while showering/bathing. The toilet is off in its own little room and may or may not be connected to the sink area that is usually connected to the wet room and doubles as a changing room and often/sometimes contains the washer as well.

It is pretty awesome and if I ever build a house, I am definitely doing my bathrooms this way.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
A wet room seems like an absolute nightmare, unless you're living in that one weirdo's conceptual FUTURE CITY where everything is perfectly waterproof and automatic steam cleaning systems deploy while you're at work.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

One time I got put into a handicap accessible room at a hotel because the entire fuckin little league world series or something crazy like that was staying there. The bathroom was one of these "wet room" deals and it was super convenient because the showerhead was too "high flow" for the slope of the floor, meaning that water flowed out of the bathroom under the door and soaked the entire carpet in the room. Also if you want to bring a towel into the bathroom with you for when you get out of the shower, it's already soaked by the time you're done showering... Needless to say I got a room change ASAP

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Slanderer posted:

A wet room seems like an absolute nightmare, unless you're living in that one weirdo's conceptual FUTURE CITY where everything is perfectly waterproof and automatic steam cleaning systems deploy while you're at work.

That weirdo was Buckminster Fuller and the people who actually used the bathroom in that house said it was a "delight" :colbert:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

That weirdo was Buckminster Fuller and the people who actually used the bathroom in that house said it was a "delight" :colbert:

Nah, it was from some lone dude's conception for the perfect future city, based on 1950's tech, that he preached for decades or something. I only remember details, such as STEAM CLEAN EVERYTHING!, and (somehow) prevent food waste or something by only allowing people to eat at predefined times in giant cafeterias, or something.

Really wish I could remember the name...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

c0ldfuse posted:

Last year my wife and I stayed for a month in Vietnam and we had a wet room. Yes, everything gets wet, especially when the exhaust fan is broken. Usually they have a plastic cover over the toilet paper or place the dispenser around a corner from the shower head, but if the paper gets wet, you can always use the sink sprayer next to the toilet for your own bidet... They're... different, plus they use cold water.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Slanderer posted:

Nah, it was from some lone dude's conception for the perfect future city, based on 1950's tech, that he preached for decades or something. I only remember details, such as STEAM CLEAN EVERYTHING!, and (somehow) prevent food waste or something by only allowing people to eat at predefined times in giant cafeterias, or something.

Really wish I could remember the name...

I think I remember what you were talking about- the whole thing was to be built out of metal, the furniture was bolted down and you weren't allowed to move it, the workers who built it would be paid in shares of the finished project so that they couldn't strike while building?

But I can't remember the name of it and half an hour googling utopias and megastructures has gotten me nowhere.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You mean you still stand to shower? :wotwot:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Two toggle bolts, in drywall. :downsbravo:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sweet screensaver.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I bet that made a noise.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

I think I remember what you were talking about- the whole thing was to be built out of metal, the furniture was bolted down and you weren't allowed to move it, the workers who built it would be paid in shares of the finished project so that they couldn't strike while building?

But I can't remember the name of it and half an hour googling utopias and megastructures has gotten me nowhere.

It took me a while to find it, but it was called VICTORY CITY! It was truly a brilliant idea--a 102 story, 3 square mile reinforced concrete wonderland! I just wrote up a big post in the failed thread I made in PYF for the purpose of collecting interesting poo poo like this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657842&pagenumber=1#post433854717

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

MisterOblivious posted:

I like the tearing pattern on the wall. It looks like it has a finely trimmed goatee. Colonel Backerboard, at your service, ma'am.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

I bet this guy based this on the weight rating of the bolts. No accounting for leverage or the forces involved.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

c0ldfuse posted:

Wait what? My grandma's rig has this amazing new invention called a "shower curtain" that divides the shower area off from the rest of the room, getting the toilet and sink and so on no more damp than they would be if a normal stall shower shared the room with them.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

ppphfft who needs stud finders, such a racket

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I rather like the looks of this - is that actual human-size, or a varmint child/pet bath?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I assume that if the drain got stuck closed on one of these, then the water pressure would prevent grandma from ever opening the door, trapping her in her last bath...

that's pretty hardcore

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slanderer posted:

I assume that if the drain got stuck closed on one of these, then the water pressure would prevent grandma from ever opening the door, trapping her in her last bath...

that's pretty hardcore

somebody gonna open that door and find grandma cosplaying as a lobster. :stonk:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've heard those cheaper walk-in tubs can fail amazingly when the sealant on the door goes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I rather like the looks of this - is that actual human-size, or a varmint child/pet bath?

They are full-sized. It isn't obvious in that photo, but there is usually a seat on one side of tub so you are sitting down in your bath. They are usually pitched to people with mobility issues who would struggle to get in and out of a regular bath, but may also not be able to stand in a shower.

My grandmother (not the one with the wet room, the other one) got one installed because is pretty wobbly.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
It looks like a big tub. Do you get in and then wait 20 minutes while it fills? I guess old people don't have much to do?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Ashcans posted:

They are full-sized. It isn't obvious in that photo, but there is usually a seat on one side of tub so you are sitting down in your bath. They are usually pitched to people with mobility issues who would struggle to get in and out of a regular bath, but may also not be able to stand in a shower.

My grandmother (not the one with the wet room, the other one) got one installed because is pretty wobbly.

I'm thinking it should be pitched to people who drink a lot and maybe have an extra TV they can mount in the bathroom. It's not a full hot-tub/jacuzzi type thing, right?

Not that *I* could use it. Second-floor apartment, 45+ year old building, and... something along the lines of a five-gallon electric water heater wedged under the kitchen counter. :(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Those sitting tubs are a miracle invention for people with mobility issues who would like to remain independent.

edit: and the answer to the toggle bolt TV mount is clearly "add more toggle bolts"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Gounads posted:

It looks like a big tub. Do you get in and then wait 20 minutes while it fills? I guess old people don't have much to do?

And then sit in it for 20 minutes while it drains and you get pneumonia.

The ones that are just a plastic stool in a shower cubicle seem more practical. Or less prone to disaster anyway.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Gounads posted:

It's not, really. The displacement of the seat and short length means they're generally actually smaller than an average tub, so you're generally waiting less than 5 minutes for it to fill, 10 if you get a big one and have a poor flow rate. Waiting for it to drain so you can get out and dry off is generally unpleasant part.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

It's not a full hot-tub/jacuzzi type thing, right?

The jacuzzi versions are probably more common than plain soaker tubs.

Slanderer posted:

that's pretty hardcore

Pretty much. Some of the tubs have two drains, though (mostly for draining faster).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MisterOblivious posted:

I liked the exchange on Reddit for that the other day:

"That looks awesome. What channel is that 'jellyfish getting electrocuted' show on?"
"Every channel."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Was doing some electrical in a house today and came across this gem of a repair under the basement stairs. Yes that is a cracked stringer. Yes that is pipe strapping and a ton of self sealing sheet metal screws.