Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Threatening with a focus attack is often more effective than actually trying to land one. Focus attack is a natural deterrent to sticking out big heavy-strength normals, which some characters want to do more often than others. Think through it. Keep a notepad beside you while you play. When you get hit by a focus attack put a tally mark on the notepad, then after the match go back and write down what character you were playing and what you did to get hit by it. Do this a few times and you'll probably notice some trends. The normals that get you hit by focus attacks are capital-B Bad Habits, and you should stop doing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone have any advice on using focus effectively against stuff that aren't fireballs?
I get wrecked by focus abusers constantly and I feel like I need to learn to use it as well.

Briefly focusing, then forward dashing is an effective way to cover ground at mid range. If you absorb a defensive poke, you'll often have frame advantage coming in, and seeing a focus charge will often interrupt a player's attention.

Standing at the edge of your focus and charging level 2 focuses can be effective if your opponent doesn't have good answers for it, although it's very easy to punish hard. If you eat a poke, you obviously get a crumple, but even blocked you get in with usually some frame advantage which lets you do some kind of offensive series. For some characters with really good focus attacks, this is pretty strong: characters like fei long, seth, dudley, or rolento make very good use of this.

Defensively, focus backdash is just a really useful thing to do, especially to fill gaps with characters who are defensively limited. Combined with a good backdash, focus backdash will get you out of a lot of bad stuff - on wake-up, as a response to jump-ins if you want to be really safe and don't feel confident in an anti-air, if you don't like your positioning and just want to reset to neutral.

It's really easy to overuse focus, especially when playing other people that aren't good at responding to them. There are so many ways to punish focus attacks - simply jumping forward when you see them, buffering ultras or supers if your opponent is being really bold with them, focus backdashing to try and cause a whiff, peppering in safe focus breakers like ex fireballs or 2-hit normals.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Periodiko posted:

Briefly focusing, then forward dashing is an effective way to cover ground at mid range. If you absorb a defensive poke, you'll often have frame advantage coming in, and seeing a focus charge will often interrupt a player's attention.

Standing at the edge of your focus and charging level 2 focuses can be effective if your opponent doesn't have good answers for it, although it's very easy to punish hard. If you eat a poke, you obviously get a crumple, but even blocked you get in with usually some frame advantage which lets you do some kind of offensive series. For some characters with really good focus attacks, this is pretty strong: characters like fei long, seth, dudley, or rolento make very good use of this.

Defensively, focus backdash is just a really useful thing to do, especially to fill gaps with characters who are defensively limited. Combined with a good backdash, focus backdash will get you out of a lot of bad stuff - on wake-up, as a response to jump-ins if you want to be really safe and don't feel confident in an anti-air, if you don't like your positioning and just want to reset to neutral.

It's really easy to overuse focus, especially when playing other people that aren't good at responding to them. There are so many ways to punish focus attacks - simply jumping forward when you see them, buffering ultras or supers if your opponent is being really bold with them, focus backdashing to try and cause a whiff, peppering in safe focus breakers like ex fireballs or 2-hit normals.

Some characters focus attacks can also shrink the hitbox from neutral like Bison & Chun allowing an easier backdash to create space after absorption of something or to make a move whiff from max range. As with focus in general it's really easy to get punished for this but it can be really powerful if used sparingly.

Don't focus after a knockdown unless you are trying to bait a reversal by backdashing, as any (non-projectile) reversal is armor breaking. It's only useful against verticle reversal attacks like dragon punches and such but is never a good idea against things like Rose or Honda with spiral and ex headbutt.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Also make sure you know your character's armor-breaking moves and bust those out on people who overuse focus. They'll either learn to stop doing it or they'll lose.

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
Shoutout to KingShiro for bodying me repeatedly. I snuck a few in but drat, I got worked. If anyone wants to play with me on the PC beta hit me up. Hugo and T. Hawk are my two mains squeezes right now but I am just trying to learn the game more importantly.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thebigspicy should be my profile.

e: i guess i should clarify im in the NA region

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I have an inherent fear of grapplers, but it's a good test of execution and practicing keep away.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I've never been more disheartened from playing a video game than playing this game online. I can't get past rank D. Out of 20 matches I've won 2, both were against people with worse records than me.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
:siren: BP/PP and your online ranking mean loving nothing :siren:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
20 games is nothing, 20 games is like a fart in space.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

systran posted:

:siren: BP/PP and your online ranking mean loving nothing :siren:

I can almost guarantee that anyone over 1000 points or whatever will defeat me handily.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Verisimilidude posted:

I can almost guarantee that anyone over 1000 points or whatever will defeat me handily.

From how it sounds anyone with 0 points will whoop your rear end, stop loving caring about that.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
They still mean nothing. You are new so basically anyone will defeat you handily, welcome to games with high skill ceilings.

The way matchmaking works on this is nothing like on a MOBA or Starcraft...it doesn't do ELO and there is no reliable way to only get matched with people within your ranking since not too many people are ever on and looking for a match at once. Further, you choose your own opponent, so the ranking system is only a few steps above random numbers.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Do you have a lot of experience with fighting games in general or SF4 in particular? It's not the easiest genre to pick up so you're going to be pretty bad and get bodied a lot at first. SF4 is 6 years old at this point too, so even your average awful online player has a lot of experience/knowledge that you might not.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
As long as there's no sharking going on (which goes on pretty regularly) it's a good gauge of how long someones been playing the game, but because of the sharking I wouldn't be too discouraged. poo poo happens. If you're very green to street fighter and fighting games in general it'd be extremely helpful to review a "basics" youtube vid and do some matches where you're not focused on winning, but blocking high/low correctly, hitting back after you block correctly, play without jumping and making sure you can consistently pull off your special moves.

There's a real learning curve to the game if you want to climb the ladder, and losing a lot is a part of it for everyone. The best way to improve is to learn from your losses, watch your losing replays and if you wonder "how come I keep getting hosed up when X happens?" ask here.

If you're playing actual newbies like yourself just understanding blocking and punishing jumps will go a looooooooong way.

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
^guy above me from weedthread. tell me you play PC so we can chill and smoke and beat each other up

Verisimilidude posted:

I've never been more disheartened from playing a video game than playing this game online. I can't get past rank D. Out of 20 matches I've won 2, both were against people with worse records than me.

If you care enough about the game to get upset you should care enough to put the time into it to get good. If you play on PC I could try grinding out games with you, if you'd like. I am relatively new to fighting games so maybe I could help you figure some stuff out without it being a massive beatdown.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Team Stab posted:

^guy above me from weedthread. tell me you play PC so we can chill and smoke and beat each other up

If you care enough about the game to get upset you should care enough to put the time into it to get good. If you play on PC I could try grinding out games with you, if you'd like. I am relatively new to fighting games so maybe I could help you figure some stuff out without it being a massive beatdown.

Yeah, I'm on PC. That would be good. I'm on Steam at Verisimilidude.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You shouldn't be disheartened when you're losing to people better than you. Save the anger for when you lose to people "worse" than you.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Dias posted:

You shouldn't be disheartened when you're losing to people better than you. Save the anger for when you lose to people "worse" than you.

Last week I went to a local 16 man tournament and lost to an online flowchart Ken because I was trying to do footsies and got cocky and decided to use Cammy and try to rush him down instead of just using Balrog who I have more experience with and just turtling.

Hell, if I just stood there and did DPs all day with Cammy I still probably would have won.

I'm really not to happy with myself for that one.

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck

Gammatron 64 posted:

Last week I went to a local 16 man tournament and lost to an online flowchart Ken because I was trying to do footsies and got cocky and decided to use Cammy and try to rush him down instead of just using Balrog who I have more experience with and just turtling.

Hell, if I just stood there and did DPs all day with Cammy I still probably would have won.

I'm really not to happy with myself for that one.

The friend I play with the most is a flowchart Ken. I know the feeling.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Dias posted:

If you lost then they're better than you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, don't get mad when you lose, just focus on what you did wrong and why you lost. Iunno, it's not like anyone's got a gun to anybody's head. Losing on online SF literally means jack poo poo. I can understand being mad if you get caught out by some random poo poo at a tournament, since there's some money to be won there, but what do you get when you win a random match online besides meaningless points?

Just relax, have fun, and focus on improving.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Verisimilidude posted:

Offering a newbie perspective: I went over fifty matches before my first win and a friendly pubbie on Steam messaged me and said that his first win was after about seventy matches.

(Semi-related: I wish I could lose against people instead of losing against myself and the controls due to my stupid dumb nerdhands. :smith:)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Randler posted:

(Semi-related: I wish I could lose against people instead of losing against myself and the controls due to my stupid dumb nerdhands. :smith:)

This is a muscle memory thing that just comes with time. I have a stick that I used a lot to play Marvel and then shelved until this came out and I thought the thing was loving broken from how much stuff I was dropping.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Well, I've been playing on and off for years and I have never got past B rank. I hover in the 1,000-1,700 PP range and every time I reach 5,000 BP I inevitably lose it all :(

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Doing steam games and skype calls here in a few. Steam name: manseriessa

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am really bad at connecting my st.LK from cl st.HP > LK Shunpu > cr. HP > LK Shunpu > st.LK > HP Shouken, do I have to hold forward while I do it or is the timing tight.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
It's a 2f link so if you're too far, walking forward for 1 frame isn't going to make any difference. It just doesn't connect on some characters.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah, gotcha.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Continued Rolento trip report:

He's... fun. Like very fun, but I doubt he's got much mileage at all as a character we're going to see win majors. It sounds sorta weird, and more than a little stupid, but I think the character he's most like is Fuerte.

Hear me out.

They're both based on movement gimmicks and guessing games. If they land a hit can do pretty decent (although not amazing) damage, and set the other player up for a really obnoxious guessing game that will end either immediately when the other player guesses right on what you're going to do, or ends when they die if they don't manage.

His full punish combo (st.hk, cr.mk 1x fp rekka, fadc, st.hk, cr.mk, 3x fp rekka) works on about 75% of the cast, but on the rest you're better off just doing st.hk, cr.mk, 3x fp rekka and going for some kind of bullshit, or sadly just sweeping and attempting bullshit hijinks from a hard knockdown instead of soft.

His baton pogo is basically worthless, except as a hijinks move, because pretty much the entire cast can blast his rear end in a top hat out with a punish whenever you use it if they aren't brain dead.

PPP back roll is good against fast fireballs, but against slow ones they still hit him. PPP+P is good for positioning, but can very very very easily be punished unless, again, the opponent gets confused.

You can do some vaguely vortex-like stuff with dagger, but Rolento's crossup game is extremely weak, and very easy to read. Again, unless the opponent is brain dead.

Wakeup is essentially impossible to manage unless you can backroll away, block your way out, or... yep that's about it. In certain cases you can wakeup super, but that's probably going to work exactly once.

His ultras are... well okay you can combo into u1 very easily with anything > 1x rekka > fadc > ultra for respectable damage, but he already gets good damage when he gets a hit in. U2 can punish any fireball from almost full screen, and can punish a whole host of things on wakeup, but yeah it's pretty much a punish super. Also it's very funny and does massive damage.

On the bright side, he destroys people who FA too much since like half his moves are multihit. He can punish basically any mistake with a full damage combo, and even though they're easy to ruin once you know his tricks, he's got a LOT of movement bullshit he can pull.

I sound like I'm down on him, or I think he's terrible, but I'm not sure. I think the sheer amount of bullshit he can sling is enough to keep even good players guessing. I think he's got decent pokes, or at least decent enough to work. I do think his AA is terrible, and his wakeup game is among the worst in the roster. Also, I'm not sure he even HAS a workable blockstring except lp x infinity.

I'm interested to see what better players than me can come up with, but I'm not entirely sure anyone will even bother. In a game with 44 loving characters, I doubt a bullshit-based movement character like this one will ever get a real following, or offer enough for the big-time players to bother puzzling out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rolento's EX wall dive works on wakeup but yeah that's a bar and dependent on whether or not they're braindead.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

Doing steam games and skype calls here in a few. Steam name: manseriessa

Trip report: Hosted, rehosted, hosted again, switched hosts, yes I opened the ports, yes we were on the beta, game is unplayable laggy mess

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Elephunk posted:

Trip report: Hosted, rehosted, hosted again, switched hosts, yes I opened the ports, yes we were on the beta, game is unplayable laggy mess

If you're playing Endless with all the slots set to private then the bug that causes lag shouldn't affect you.

Unless you're just expressing your dissatisfaction with SF4's netcode in general.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Sarchasm posted:

If you're playing Endless with all the slots set to private then the bug that causes lag shouldn't affect you.

Unless you're just expressing your dissatisfaction with SF4's netcode in general.

Yeah this should work. Everyone needs to have restarted the game and never touched endless or ranked matchmaking as well, or they're opening themselves up to the network flooding.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Yeah that online stuff is a broken goddamn mess, and that's the first time I've seen it poo poo the bed that bad.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
post that video of the "bad" ryu beating the "good" rufus at dreamhack i think? Both players were actually bad, but the ryu was actually making reads. The rufus was auto pilot aggression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEVcZ3anG0

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 22, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fauxtool posted:

post that video of the "bad" ryu beating the "good" rufus at dreamhack i think? Both players were actually bad

That match is hilarious, and also illustrates the quotation marks I put around worse. Sometimes you get wrecked by someone doing "bad" things like random moves or jump-ins, and you get super mad because how is this guy beating me he doesn't know how to play uuuugh. Except you're the one at fault, because you should've noticed his bad habits and punished them if you're that good, you dumb gently caress. When I lose to a "good" player, I'm fine because hey, he outplayed me. When I lose to a "bad" player I hate myself because I think I shouldn't have lost but I did lose and it's all my fault because I'm awful and got hit by, I dunno, empty jump SPD xN. That leads to more mistakes on my part, which leads to more losses.

Ranked worked better here tonight on the beta branch, by the way. I got a reversal input eaten by lag one match, but it's better than it was before for me. I also played a friend that lives about 300km away on endless and the first three matches were awful, but then it got pretty good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Fauxtool posted:

post that video of the "bad" ryu beating the "good" rufus at dreamhack i think? Both players were actually bad

This has been my favorite match ever since I first saw it. It was also great to see him get destroyed by people who knew what they were doing.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Platypus Farm posted:

Continued Rolento trip report:

He's... fun. Like very fun, but I doubt he's got much mileage at all as a character we're going to see win majors. It sounds sorta weird, and more than a little stupid, but I think the character he's most like is Fuerte.

I disagree, I think he's most similar to turtley charge characters, like Bison or Vega or Blanka. Crouching light punch is an incredibly safe way to control the ground, peppered in with his more damaging pokes. I think you basically just play really lame and look for small openings like an air-to-air reset, and then convert your meter to mix-ups using stuff like EX stinger or FADC's.

I don't think he's a very good character to take risks with, or be pro-active with.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rolento is the character you have fun with, not the one you win with.

That being said I loving love playing him and wish I could play him better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Fauxtool posted:

post that video of the "bad" ryu beating the "good" rufus at dreamhack i think? Both players were actually bad, but the ryu was actually making reads. The rufus was auto pilot aggression

Ghandi does a lot of things in this video, but makings reads is absolutely not one of them.

• Locked thread