Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My god, Linkara actually acknowledged Sentai in his latest History part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Pretty much everyone on both sides of this dumb Depression Quest creator drama are being horrible people and I really wish they'd all have their social media privileges revoked so I'm not distracted from more mature and erudite discussions, like I/P or Ferguson.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Here here Gyges. Here here.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

Pretty much everyone on both sides of this dumb Depression Quest creator drama are being horrible people and I really wish they'd all have their social media privileges revoked so I'm not distracted from more mature and erudite discussions, like I/P or Ferguson.

There is no winning side. just sadness and cheep cream soda to the "winner".

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cyron posted:

Cream soda? hot diggety drat!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cyron posted:

Yea I mean, there's no person involved in this who isn't either shady and gross or a crazy misogynist or just generally really really stupid. No one comes out of this in a good way except people who like to laugh at dumb poo poo.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Christ, I go away for two days and this topic derails again.

Shut the gently caress up about lynchings. They have little to do with Internet Critics. Jontron is a idiot for posting dumb poo poo. We GET this.

I'm going to post a new rule about Twitter drama, since all it does is lead to bad derails.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Violet_Sky posted:

Christ, I go away for two days and this topic derails again.

Shut the gently caress up about lynchings. They have little to do with Internet Critics. Jontron is a idiot for posting dumb poo poo. We GET this.

I'm going to post a new rule about Twitter drama, since all it does is lead to bad derails.

You sure do get pissed off when people talk about things that arise from Internet Critics. Perhaps you could add a rule in the OP about that.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
:aaa:: "Oh wow, a bunch of posts in the Internet Critic Discussion Thread! I wonder what's going--oh. :sigh:"

Not quite new, but here's a recent review of Moon of the Wolf from Lupa! Nice day-for-night gag here, too. How any director thought this was a good idea I'll never know.

Y'know, I live in an area somewhat similar to where the movie's set, and about the the only thing that's really changed are the cars and maybe some of the hairstyles.

Edit: Old Coke commercial! :neckbeard:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ghostpilot posted:

:aaa:: "Oh wow, a bunch of posts in the Internet Critic Discussion Thread! I wonder what's going--oh. :sigh:"

Internet Critic Discussion?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Tae posted:

My god, Linkara actually acknowledged Sentai in his latest History part.

I liked the little shoutout to RPM he did. Still can't wait for that one.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I watched the Resident Evil episodes of Half in the Bag. They were pretty good, but what's with the fat guy with the super annoying laugh? He made that stuff a bit hard to watch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I watched the Resident Evil episodes of Half in the Bag. They were pretty good, but what's with the fat guy with the super annoying laugh? He made that stuff a bit hard to watch.
How dare you insult the great Rich Evans

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Rich Evans is great.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Rich Evans is a gift to humanity and his laugh is the best. I need to watch Best of the Worst more.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

mind the walrus posted:

Here here Gyges. Here here.

Did you mean "hear, hear"?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PassTheRemote posted:

Rich Evans is great.

Zeether posted:

Rich Evans is a gift to humanity and his laugh is the best. I need to watch Best of the Worst more.

These guys know what's up. :colbert:

Speaking of:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Who could hate Rich? He invented the Wheel of the Worst, according to the most recent episode:

Jack: Who came up with the Wheel of the Worst?
Mike: That was that fffffucker Rich Evans!
(camera swings around to a fleeing Rich)
Mike: GET OUTTA HERE YOU FFFFFFFUCKER!

I hope we get more moments of Rich being shooed off set :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

Who could hate Rich? He invented the Wheel of the Worst, according to the most recent episode:

Jack: Who came up with the Wheel of the Worst?
Mike: That was that fffffucker Rich Evans!
(camera swings around to a fleeing Rich)
Mike: GET OUTTA HERE YOU FFFFFFFUCKER!

I hope we get more moments of Rich being shooed off set :allears:

That was only outdone by Jack breaking the wheel and then running away gleefully shouting "Ha hah! I HAVE NO REGRETS! :haw:"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Every time Rich Evans laughs an angel gets its wings. It's the stuff of sunshine and rainbows.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Maybe he's an acquired taste.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Maybe he's an acquired taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku2JQsxNwDI

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

I guess it's just not for me. No worries!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally got around to watching that new Previously Recorded. I do love all the little stupid poo poo Jack throws in there to add humor to things. Like when Rich dismissing the handheld version and a picture of it falls and gets swatted away or when Jack pantomimes the guitar and he adds on in. That poo poo always makes me laugh.

They should try out Crash Team Racing, the best kart racer around. Their handling of rubberbanding with the AI is perfect as well.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I don't know if any of you watch HedonisticActor. He's a Finnish guy who does a show on Manic Expression discussing Finnish films and old Oscar winners. (I'd watch it more often if Manic Expression wasn't such an unreliable site.) Anywho, he's joined me on Cheapskate Live! to watch the famous short, "The Red Balloon."

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Spoony reviews new edition D&D (5th). I'll admit I like Counter Monkey (early episodes mainly) but this... :catstare: Part one is pretty straight up review of the new system with a few nitpicks and some reasonable criticisms. Part two....boy, what can I say? Early on he flips out and does "You guys are pussies! Bunch of whiners." Then he goes on to bitch about his Pathfinder group (the one that was livestreamed). I felt kind of uncomfortable watching that. I expected 2hrs of rambling, page-riffling complaining but... part two gets kind of weird.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/counter-monkey/counter-monkey-dd-5th-edition-review-part-2/

:negative:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So a typical Spoony review?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When it comes to D&D stuff, Spoony is one of those "old guard" types who thinks the broken rear end junk he grew up with is better than the broken rear end junk kids today use. It's pretty typical among board game nerds. In 10 years people who grew up with 3rd edition will be doing the same thing with whatever edition comes out then.

I did read that at the back of the book they consulted a few real pieces of work during the creative process. But that's all I know of about 5th edition.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As someone on the outside looking in it does seem like the amount of time you have to invest to really learn and play any RPG rule-set would cause a massive sunk-cost fallacy in the brain and create such weird allegiance to different editions.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man all I know is that DND edition wars are THE most boring part of discussions about TRPG. Quickest way to suck all the fun out of anything they get involved with,

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I have an awful admission: I also get super annoyed at Rich's laugh. It's like hearing a pig squeal, no offense to the dude but it has the same effect on me.

Not bad enough that I don't love the poo poo he's in of course

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I would love to hear someone talk about playing a D&D campaign with Spoony. He sounds like the worst DM of all time.

e: his point in the second video where he goes on a long rant seems to be 'I prefer rules and descriptions to be simple.' Which is fine, but he makes that simple point in the most longwinded, condescending way possible.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 24, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
So the Nostalgia Critic did the Ice Bucket Challenge: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/44468-nostalgia-critic-does-ice-bucket-challenge

While the bit seems drawn out, I actually got a good laugh at the end especially at the people he sent the challenge to at the end of the video.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Spoony reviews new edition D&D (5th). I'll admit I like Counter Monkey (early episodes mainly) but this... :catstare: Part one is pretty straight up review of the new system with a few nitpicks and some reasonable criticisms. Part two....boy, what can I say? Early on he flips out and does "You guys are pussies! Bunch of whiners." Then he goes on to bitch about his Pathfinder group (the one that was livestreamed). I felt kind of uncomfortable watching that. I expected 2hrs of rambling, page-riffling complaining but... part two gets kind of weird.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/counter-monkey/counter-monkey-dd-5th-edition-review-part-2/

:negative:

The funny thing is he goes on about how D&D5 seems to be loved by everybody, while this is clearly not the case.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I pegged him as an AVGN knockoff and never got into him, but I'm checking out Pat the NES Punk's stuff and it's pretty great. His main videos are good, his podcast clips are interesting but the real good stuff are his flea market videos. It's like a gamer's Antique's Roadshow in a way. Plus he seems like a really chill guy who loving loves collecting games. Dude owns one of the rarest games in existence too, I'm curious how much that alone would go for if he ever sold it.

Edit: Holy poo poo

wikipedia posted:

On 25 January 2014 a third copy of the game appeared on eBay with the first bid at $4,999, and a final bid of $20,200.[24] A fourth copy was offered on eBay later in January 2014, a rarer gold cartridge this time. Again, it had a starting bid of $4,999 and eventually reached $100,088.[25] If this sale is finalized, it will top the old record-selling price for an NES game, which was for the sale of a sealed copy of Stadium Events (NTSC version) at $75,000.[26]
:stare:

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 24, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jimbot posted:

When it comes to D&D stuff, Spoony is one of those "old guard" types who thinks the broken rear end junk he grew up with is better than the broken rear end junk kids today use. It's pretty typical among board game nerds. In 10 years people who grew up with 3rd edition will be doing the same thing with whatever edition comes out then.

I did read that at the back of the book they consulted a few real pieces of work during the creative process. But that's all I know of about 5th edition.

Are there people who still play older editions of D&D?

Also, what do you mean by 'real pieces of work?' Who did they consult?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Aside from art preference the majority of complaints in his first part was the inclusion of cantrips, free spells. Which is weird cause looking up a few sites wizards in his book have that, along with a lot of utility spells that straight up break difficulty like make water in a desert or detect poison from an assassin.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Max Wilco posted:

My gaming group plays 3.5. I'm sure it's not that hard to get a group together to play 1st or 2nd edition D&D; place an ad on craigslist and/or at your FLGS. And that is the point. I understand not liking some editions due to the rules they have, but the new editions do not invalidate the previous editions. Play whatever edition you want.

Slate Action posted:

I would love to hear someone talk about playing a D&D campaign with Spoony. He sounds like the worst DM of all time.

To me, he seems like someone who still DM's like they did way back in the day, where it was players vs. DM, and if the DM does not cause misery to the PC's the DM lost that session. I do not agree with that philosophy; I feel that if the players are not having fun, why are they playing a TRPG?

Personally, Noah sounds like a person I would not want to play with, he is one of those "Stop having fun guys", and if I was in a campaign with someone like that, I would want to punch them in the nose.

Slate Action posted:

e: his point in the second video where he goes on a long rant seems to be 'I prefer rules and descriptions to be simple.' Which is fine, but he makes that simple point in the most longwinded, condescending way possible.

I think he cannot make a vlog in any other way now.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I pegged him as an AVGN knockoff and never got into him, but I'm checking out Pat the NES Punk's stuff and it's pretty great. His main videos are good, his podcast clips are interesting but the real good stuff are his flea market videos. It's like a gamer's Antique's Roadshow in a way. Plus he seems like a really chill guy who loving loves collecting games. Dude owns one of the rarest games in existence too, I'm curious how much that alone would go for if he ever sold it.

Edit: Holy poo poo
:stare:

Pat always seems very chill indeed, yeah - I love the Flea Market stuff too, I much prefer this sort of raw video w/ commentary to, say, what The Game Chasers do. Reminds me of the good ol' days of boot sale hunting. Of course, if you like that - Lazy Game Reviews is most certainly someone you should be checking out anyway if you've got any interest in Youtube game vids, but his "Thrifts" series is fantastic.

This may have been mentioned before, but it's a lil' under the radar - I've been watching quite a bit of Generation-16, Greg Sewart's Mega Drive chrongaming project. Latest video came out yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v5EHqO153E

The only thing I'd say about these vids is that there's a bit less opinion on how the game actually plays than I'd want? But this is more than made up for by the amount of info Greg provides about the games, the system and the time. Just endless neat little bits of info I had no idea about...I'm not sure if there's anything he doesn't know, and there's probably nothing he wouldn't research and find out who to ask if he didn't know. Chrongaming videos are great though, it's the sort of thing I put on when I go to sleep. Kinda helps that they all have very chill voices, makes it kinda like ASMR at points...I'd still love to try my hand at one of my own, but where to go?

---

While I'm here, I actually do have a little something that might just interest people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooJALG-3Zwg

Basically I'm making a video about the good old days of emulation, and I want folks to make lil' 30 sec/1 minute vids with some of their thoughts on the subject, particularly about the first time they came across emulation and the like. Thought it'd be something cool to add, and I've never done anything like it before. Anyhoo, the actual details are in there if anyone's interested in making lil' contributions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Max Wilco posted:

My friends and I played The March of the Modrons just last year. :)

Slate Action posted:

e: his point in the second video where he goes on a long rant seems to be 'I prefer rules and descriptions to be simple.'

This is loving precious.

I can tell you, right now, that anyone you meet who tells you that 2nd ed was great, is not remembering the game. They are remembering their experiences with the game. 2nd ed is one of the most convoluted, over-complicated D&D editions in existance. It is a mess. Thing is, you can have a lovely game with the worst rules ever and still have fun with it, people play WFRP for example. Hell the goddam Megaversal system is still used today!

PassTheRemote posted:

To me, he seems like someone who still DM's like they did way back in the day, where it was players vs. DM, and if the DM does not cause misery to the PC's the DM lost that session. I do not agree with that philosophy; I feel that if the players are not having fun, why are they playing a TRPG?

For the benefit of folks who aren't losers who spend days indoors playing with funny-shaped dice - Player vs. DM was a real thing that the game was designed around - not a thing that power-mad DMs became because they owned all the rulebooks.

The design of D&D was literally - "Look at these war games. Wouldn't it be fun if, rather than controlling an army, I only controlled one person." From that it because a team of 4-6 vs. a DM who controlled orks and trolls and put traps everywhere. Player deaths were supposed to happen fast and often (hence the holdover of Random stat rolling - it had nothing to do with "realism" or the bell curve or whatever other crap people use to defend one of the most stupid character-creations options out there - it was everything to do with making the process of character creations as fast as possiable because you'd be doing it 3 or 4 times a session.) Regardless, people did get attached to their 'characters' and started bringing customised minis to the table and started developing personalities and vola! Roleplaying was born.

I don't doubt he and his players had fun 'back in the day'. It's easy to have fun with a lovely game and a lovely DM. (especially if you're, I dunno, a kid and probably arn't following all the rules, almost certainty sacrificing complexities for fun and just making poo poo up as you go).

quote:

Personally, Noah sounds like a person I would not want to play with, he is one of those "Stop having fun guys", and if I was in a campaign with someone like that, I would want to punch them in the nose.

Lemme tell you about how deadly bees are, I don't think you're taking them seriously....

KayTee fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 24, 2014

• Locked thread