Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is it worth buying Diagaea 4 for my Vita when I'm still in the middle of D2? I've got 55 hours in and lv 400 characters, so there is plenty to do, but I'd still love to lay in my bed playing my vita.

Also how for the veterans of the series, how come you can keep coming back again and again? I've basically plyed every game starting from La Pucelle Tactics and clocked 30-100 hours on every game, so even though I still love it and enjoy having new quirks to the system, it almost feels like a waste buy a new Disgaea game when you could have only one and in theory play it indefinetly. I don't think I've ever gotten over 2000 lv characters, so that kinda underlines it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is it worth buying Diagaea 4 for my Vita when I'm still in the middle of D2? I've got 55 hours in and lv 400 characters, so there is plenty to do, but I'd still love to lay in my bed playing my vita.

Also how for the veterans of the series, how come you can keep coming back again and again? I've basically plyed every game starting from La Pucelle Tactics and clocked 30-100 hours on every game, so even though I still love it and enjoy having new quirks to the system, it almost feels like a waste buy a new Disgaea game when you could have only one and in theory play it indefinetly. I don't think I've ever gotten over 2000 lv characters, so that kinda underlines it.

Personally? I don't bother attempting to 100% the game, that's a fool's errand. Generally speaking I'll do what grinding is necessary to defeat the regular optional bosses, then I'll think about some of the really hardcore lategame stuff like the Land of Carnage (and proceed to not bother.)

While breaking the game over my knee is entertaining enough, I primarily play the games for the story content, and that starts to dry up fast once you beat the game. Stopping where I do feels satisfying and leaves enough time between entries for me to feel good about picking up the next one.

That said I did stop before beating DD2. One day I will return to it, but that day is not today.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ManOfTheYear posted:

Asked myself this the other day and honestly have no idea.

I like the gameplay enough that I want to see all the new little improvements and whatnot each one brings as well as all the goofy over the top attacks. There's also something oddly satisfying about hitting that specific moment where you've "officially" broken the game that I always enjoy. I'll get stupid high stats but will never 100% one of these things but it's always fun seeing how much damage you can pile on. The moment you see the letters show up in your damage tally is alawys refreshing to.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

With the exception of Afternoon of Darkness with its bugged innocents, I usually peter out midway through the post game. Most recently with D3Vita, I got through all the bosses except Baal, got to the land of Carnage, got Beryl to 9999, started duping equipment, tried Baal, saw I would need a lot more duping and leveling, and decided nope, good enough for me. It's just always such a series of jarring difficulty increases at the end. Just endless plateaus in the sky.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

ManOfTheYear posted:

To answer this from a different perspective, I'm actually someone who more or less dropped the franchise after 4. I really did love Disgaea 1 and played a shitload of it, but there were enough mechanical problems with it I felt could be improved upon that I kept looking forward to new installments. I also felt the main storylines' gameplay was worth the price of admission alone, generally speaking. However, I eventually grew sated with what the franchise had to offer and didn't feel the need to pick up D2 when it came out. I'm hoping news about 5 can rekindle my interest in this franchise, because I know I'm not likely to replay any of them at this point.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
So I was wondering about the feature of Disgaea 4 where you can meet pirates/senators from other players if you're online. Are those drawn from anyone who ever uploaded theirs in the region or is this feature limited to people on your friends list?

Also I recall people disliking D4 Chara World for some reason, were the reasons for the dislike improved in Vita release?

Malek Deneith fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 21, 2014

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Malek Deneith posted:

So I was wondering about the feature of Disgaea 4 where you can meet pirates/senators from other players if you're online. Are those drawn from anyone who ever uploaded theirs in the region or is this feature limited to people on your friends list?

Also I recall people disliking D4 Chara World for some reason, were the reasons for the dislike improved in Vita release?

I remember in the PS3 version you could set it to only draw from your friends list, or to pull in randomly from everyone with regards to pirates.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got a Disgaea itch to scratch, and I've just about given up on Dark Hero Days now that I'm expected to go through the Item World a billion loving times for felonies. I'm considering picking up one of the Vita games, is there a difference between the two besides the Cheat Shop and that D4 comes after D3? I think I heard something about D3 having a better story, and D4 having better gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

God no. D3 has the worst story in the series and I say this as someone who kind of likes it. It's basically one gag (demons consider doing evil acts to be 'good' and good acts to be 'evil', so that a student who is always on time and is super polite is considered a rebellious badass, while a slacker who plays games and reads comics all day is a model student) repeated 1000 times, while famed anime voiceman Vic Mignogna goes 'muahahaha' over and over.

The best characters have barely any screentime, too. D4 is way better both gameplay and plot-wise, and improves a lot on D3. Go for it.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Pollyanna posted:

I've got a Disgaea itch to scratch, and I've just about given up on Dark Hero Days now that I'm expected to go through the Item World a billion loving times for felonies. I'm considering picking up one of the Vita games, is there a difference between the two besides the Cheat Shop and that D4 comes after D3? I think I heard something about D3 having a better story, and D4 having better gameplay.

D4 also looks way better because they redrew all the sprites.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly if I had to recommend either D3V or D4V on story I would say go with D3. However since gameplay is more important than story in these games and DD2V hasn't been released yet I have to say go with D4V. However something to note about D4's story is that while the first 2/3's of the games story is enjoyable the last third falls apart and the story devolves into a generic humans are irredeemably evil tract, it is also not helped that the reasons they say humans are evil comes across as hypocritical and self-righteous. Also aside from one character none of the characters in D4 ever actually grew or developed, especially one character that really is just one note over and over.

But I've found both enjoyable, although I enjoyed D3V a bit more since it honestly felt like it had more new content then D4V. If you can I would recommend renting them or watching both games stories and make your decision from there but if you just have to buy one I would recommend D4V even with the horrible last third of the story.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

D4 also looks way better because they redrew all the sprites.

Except for a certain character.

For real though, get D4V. The cheat shop streamlines things so much. Like, I'm on chapter 5 and have the equivalent of 50 statisticians on everybody and can freely change enemy strength using a meter rather than going through the tedium of passing bills. Also, you can enter the senate much more quickly since they don't make you load a separate screen.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 22, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

megamariox posted:

Also aside from one character none of the characters in D4 ever actually grew or developed, especially one character that really is just one note over and over.

Fuka (Emizel?) and Val respectively?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

projecthalaxy posted:

Fuka (Emizel?) and Val respectively?

I'd say Fuka probably developed the least, but that's also probably just my distaste with her dream schtick talking. I loving hate that.

E: Though really I'd say they're all pretty good characters.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 22, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Endorph posted:

God no. D3 has the worst story in the series and I say this as someone who kind of likes it. It's basically one gag (demons consider doing evil acts to be 'good' and good acts to be 'evil', so that a student who is always on time and is super polite is considered a rebellious badass, while a slacker who plays games and reads comics all day is a model student) repeated 1000 times, while famed anime voiceman Vic Mignogna goes 'muahahaha' over and over.

The best characters have barely any screentime, too. D4 is way better both gameplay and plot-wise, and improves a lot on D3. Go for it.

I endorse everything going on in this post.

edit: further, I'd have to say, if you burn through everything in D4 and just feel hungry for something next, go for D3 then. Just be prepared to compromise on a couple mechanical things, like no cheat shop and some steps backward on a couple weapon skills.

5er fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 22, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Dumb question: do you ever get to increase the max allocatable points in the cheat shop? I keep getting CP from my foreign affairs minister but don't see anywhere to "spend" them. Do you just need to lower HL or whatever to increase your xp gain forever?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Emron posted:

Dumb question: do you ever get to increase the max allocatable points in the cheat shop? I keep getting CP from my foreign affairs minister but don't see anywhere to "spend" them. Do you just need to lower HL or whatever to increase your xp gain forever?

Progress through the game. Your maximum/minimums are very strict early on, and even in the midgame. Once you get into the postgame you get a lot more leeway.

I haven't beat all of the optional bosses yet, and I can increase the three parameters up to 350%, for example.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Playing the D4V demo right now, and I think I might just get the full game. Thanks for the rec! The Cheat Shop looks especially kickass.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Emron posted:

CP are spent at the level editor and possibly the pirate shop, I forget. They're spent on components for custom levels and a I think one or two other things related to online activities. They don't have anything to do with the cheat shop, there's nothing to buy there, it just gives you more as go through the chapters of the main and postgame.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

D4 kinda seems like it doesn't want me to make a small, focused core team of 10 and instead make enough to fill out the entire campaign board. Does that make sense? Or can I still do my old small team approach?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I thought the standard approach was to have one high-level damage dealer, and a half-dozen lower level support/heal/Espoir characters.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Small team will still work fine. I'm pretty sure I did the campaign and most of the post game with about 6 units. As much as I want to try all the different classes and characters, it just takes way too long to keep a large group evenly leveled and equipped so that they are all still useful. Nothing wrong with taking just the most useful ones and letting them plow through everything themselves.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I tried to have a big varied team, but thanks to the way 5-2 works, I ended up leaning heavily on Gig and Desco fusing or alone and my Galaxy Skull.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been considering just having my old small team around, and reincarnating them when I want a different kind of character. Or should I make one of each character type instead? Cause then I'd have to bring everyone up to level 999999999999 again and gently caress that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I've been considering just having my old small team around, and reincarnating them when I want a different kind of character. Or should I make one of each character type instead? Cause then I'd have to bring everyone up to level 999999999999 again and gently caress that.

I like to keep just a few human generics around and reincarnate them as desired. That way when you, say, want a Thief, you can take your Skull, reincarnate him as a Thief while putting all his bonus points in INT, and have a Thief who can still be a fairly effective blasty mage. This is also useful for dipping everyone through Healer to make all your big tough guys combat medics, etc. I recognize it is not the most optimized technique, but it works for me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

Genuine advice: Pick a class you think you can work with and like the design of then roll with it. You're bonkers if your planning on using every class.

Most run throughs will involve you using Valvatorez and the story cast along with generics to cover it up, then replacing the generics with unique characters (hypothetical Fenrich replacing a fist fighter) due to being naturally better.

Even if you don't do that just go with whatcha like, you don't need a completely huge armada and a lot of classes are just for fun in general like the necromancer or beastmaster.

Edit: That aside post game question for D4

Seeing as everything seems to up and changed I'm actually lost on what I should be doing for once. I just power leveled through the postlude: Part 1 (Asagi) but what I should do now is apparently a lot different if I have any hopes of getting stronger?

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: That aside post game question for D4

Seeing as everything seems to up and changed I'm actually lost on what I should be doing for once. I just power leveled through the postlude: Part 1 (Asagi) but what I should do now is apparently a lot different if I have any hopes of getting stronger?

Hmm... if you are at that point my advice to you would be to get a puppy paw stick, a statician, make a battle suit and then start duping. One of the best improvements that they made in this version of the game was that Battle Suits have a class skill that turns them neutral allowing you to dupe off of them. Also start preparing for the land of carnage, and start leveling a thief you'll need one to steal the best equipment, also don't forget that you can steal a legendary yoshitsuna off of Zetta that will give you a kick start in getting the best equipment, oh and you can also just use the retry instead of going to the title screen if Zetta doesn't have a legendary yoshitsuna. You should also select the characters you are going to perfect and start doing character world runs for them, I would recommend just doing two, playing this game shattered my nostalgia goggles concerning charaworld and reminded me of just how much of a slog it is to max out apptitudes.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

megamariox posted:

Hmm... if you are at that point my advice to you would be to get a puppy paw stick, a statician, make a battle suit and then start duping. One of the best improvements that they made in this version of the game was that Battle Suits have a class skill that turns them neutral allowing you to dupe off of them. Also start preparing for the land of carnage, and start leveling a thief you'll need one to steal the best equipment, also don't forget that you can steal a legendary yoshitsuna off of Zetta that will give you a kick start in getting the best equipment, oh and you can also just use the retry instead of going to the title screen if Zetta doesn't have a legendary yoshitsuna. You should also select the characters you are going to perfect and start doing character world runs for them, I would recommend just doing two, playing this game shattered my nostalgia goggles concerning charaworld and reminded me of just how much of a slog it is to max out apptitudes.

Is the puppy paw stick still the best way of duping? I remember there was a bug in the ps3 version that got patched out that made duping a matter of just exploiting some menus, but people a ton of people used it specifically because the puppy paw stick's steal rate had been reduced from D3.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain McStabbin posted:

Is the puppy paw stick still the best way of duping? I remember there was a bug in the ps3 version that got patched out that made duping a matter of just exploiting some menus, but people a ton of people used it specifically because the puppy paw stick's steal rate had been reduced from D3.

Nah, they wouldn't keep it in the vita version. Also main reason people hate it is become you'd have to get chara world clones to show up which itself is like a 5-10% chance per entire run, then you only have a 10% chance at duping what you want and just thank god it's different now.

Just need to find a nekomata then I guess, and I forgot what are the new Meowkin pirate floors they show up at?

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nah, they wouldn't keep it in the vita version. Also main reason people hate it is become you'd have to get chara world clones to show up which itself is like a 5-10% chance per entire run, then you only have a 10% chance at duping what you want and just thank god it's different now.

Just need to find a nekomata then I guess, and I forgot what are the new Meowkin pirate floors they show up at?

From what I remember hearing they are supposed to show up starting at floor 21+ now.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the Meowkin are easier to get to show up, but I think you can get the Stick from any level 1000+ Nekomata.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man the game is suddenly loving up hardcore. Got 30 floors into a item world and the entire game just crashed with a file report popping up. Managed to keep going though (even got and killed the meowkin pirates :buddy:) but the item council and general campign now freezes up for 20-30 seconds at a time. Started up chara world and did a few runs and surprise it crashed again.

Gettin real tired of this.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man the game is suddenly loving up hardcore. Got 30 floors into a item world and the entire game just crashed with a file report popping up. Managed to keep going though (even got and killed the meowkin pirates :buddy:) but the item council and general campign now freezes up for 20-30 seconds at a time. Started up chara world and did a few runs and surprise it crashed again.

Gettin real tired of this.

drat, sounds like it needs some major patching. I was just getting a bit of slowdown on the 10th floors but nothing like that.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Reading the NISA forums, it looks the crash is related to the English voices. Baciel monsters in particular are linked to it somehow. Apparently if you switch to Japanese voice acting you're fine, so just do that before Item World dives I guess. Another NISA game with a crash bug in it. Wonder if they'll patch this one or just let it sit like Witch and the Hundred Knight?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Well gently caress, I was hoping the cheat shop would let me ignore Statisticians. Guess I better do some Item World dives soon...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is the first weapon in a character's weapon list always their favored weapon? Fuka starts with a bat for example and has a bat in her drat artwork, but it seems like she's better off with swords?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Jack Van Burace posted:

Reading the NISA forums, it looks the crash is related to the English voices. Baciel monsters in particular are linked to it somehow. Apparently if you switch to Japanese voice acting you're fine, so just do that before Item World dives I guess. Another NISA game with a crash bug in it. Wonder if they'll patch this one or just let it sit like Witch and the Hundred Knight?

How does this stuff keep happening in the recent years? Before Disgaea D2, I've never heard of any NIS developed game as having a crash bug, but since then, it seems like all of them do. What's going on?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

How does this stuff keep happening in the recent years? Before Disgaea D2, I've never heard of any NIS developed game as having a crash bug, but since then, it seems like all of them do. What's going on?
Ar Tonelico 2 cursed them (the best crash bug).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Eh, NISA games have always had some random, really awful bugs. However...
I believe this might be possibly linked to the NIS scandal way back in June->October 2013? In which a lot of employees, from the local and the main branch, walked out due to being denied bonuses/raises I think. Something along the lines of each new project counting as a new job/position which only gives a starting level salary?
The rumor went like this:

quote:

Mr.Y (Masahiro Yamamoto) who was in charge of D (Disgaea) and KP (KamiPara), along with almost all the development staff including the main programmer have resigned. The Executive Mr.K and the North American Corporate Head Mr.A, along with their subordinates have also left the company. The above mentioned are making something similar for Company I (Idea Factory).

Mr.K who worked on the D (Disgaea) spinoff D2 has also left the company with a subordinate who was working on the recently announced project A (Arcadias). They have joined Company M.

About half of the development team currently developing a game for the eternal next game protagonist A (Asagi) have also left the company. The project is at a stand still.
I suspect Mr. A is Haru Akenaga, former NISA president, who ended up as the president of the newly created International IF branch in October 2013. And Masahiro Yamamoto really is working for IF now on something called Makai Trillion(probably the "something similar" that was mentioned) so maybe this whole thing is true. At the very least the time frame seems to correspond with the increase in crashes.

HGH fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Just started playing D4Vita and I am kind of at a loss of what to do with the Cam-pain Map and Ministers and how to set them up effectively and junk. Too many things to keep track of and it is kinda overwhelming considering the last time I played a Disgaea was the first one at release

• Locked thread