Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

Wayne Reynolds never drew Liliana, though? :confused:

He did the art for the sorcerer class in Pathfinder and her outfit is hilarious. She's got shin pants and a stripper robe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Heavy Lobster posted:

Wayne Reynolds never drew Liliana, though? :confused:

He made the pathfinder iconic sorceress

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If Raymond Swanland drew Liliana she'd be covered in spikes.

I remember reading somewhere that Swanland looks out his window for inspiration and just outside is a fir tree. It explains so much.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Angry Grimace posted:

A grand? On MTGO? I'm not even sure what in that deck would cost a grand online. I mean, you can get away with not having Flooded Strand.

The Strands are rather expensive, definitely a significant chunk of it. The total was about 850 when I actually added it all up, I have basically nothing and have to acquire every card for the deck. It just adds up.... Entreat is 20 bucks, I need Scalding Tarns that are almost 40 (I only have sets of Misty Rainforest and Verdant Catacombs right now), Jaces are 20 each, 60 apiece for Flooded Strand. Even Counterbalance is 12 bucks a pop.

It's not godawful, but it's more than I can be spending at the moment, and when you don't have part of the deck already having half the deck be $20+ per card really adds up fast.

Anyway, Elves is fun as hell so far. Turn 2 Progenitus is pretty satisfying. There's a reason Green Sun's Zenith is banned in Modern.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Chill la Chill posted:

For those that don't know what she looks like: http://paizo.com/image/product/secondary/Pathfinder/Pathfinder2_Sorceress03.jpg

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Chill la Chill posted:

Ah, right, I misunderstood what you were saying. I find his Pathfinder art really uninspiring compared to his 4e stuff, but then again Pathfinder in general is incredibly uninspiring.

Yeah, Wayne Reynolds definitely has a weird obsession with this pose. Honestly, I unironically love him for his armor designs and color palette, but his actual composition could use some work and he doesn't really get out of his comfort zone, ever. Goldmeadow Stalwart is one of my favorite cards as well as one of my favorite pieces of Magic art, but you can spot a Reynolds card the moment it's on the table.

e: If we wanna talk about modern MtG art we like, I really hope Willian Murai gets work in Khans and onward. Battlewise Hoplite is probably my favorite-looking card in Theros, Anax and Cymede are also gorgeous, and I feel like Aeronaut Tinkerer is directly referencing/inspired by Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog, which is one of my favorite irl-paintings, so more by him is always welcome to me.

If we're on real-world art references, are there any cards in particular that look like Klimt's Athena? That's another one of my favorite paintings and I feel like there must be a lot of stuff way back in older Magic that sort of attempts to evoke the style.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 22, 2014

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Oraculum Animi posted:

Literally my favorite card art of all time is Terese's Swords to Plowshares.

That one is fantastic, though Rebecca Guay's Path to Exile promo gives it some serious competition. Either way the lesson is that the best one mana removal is white because they gets the best art.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Oraculum Animi posted:

Literally my favorite card art of all time is Terese's Swords to Plowshares.

I had pulled one of these in a Conspiracy draft and had to do a double-take because I was only familiar with the old A-4 and the really bizarre-perspective Foglio art. Terese Nielsen's more abstract, flowing, painterly stuff is so loving good.

UberJew posted:

That one is fantastic, though Rebecca Guay's Path to Exile promo gives it some serious competition. Either way the lesson is that the best one mana removal is white because they gets the best art.

I forgot about this one, talk about :eyepop:

Sep 13, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

I had pulled one of these in a Conspiracy draft and had to do a double-take because I was only familiar with the old A-4 and the really bizarre-perspective Foglio art. Terese Nielsen's more abstract, flowing, painterly stuff is so loving good.

I forgot about this one, talk about :eyepop:

I know Terese uses actual traditional media, goauche, colored pencil, and oil paint. I'm assuming Rebecca does as well considering it has the feel of traditional media. I think that's a big reason why they stand out, their art looks different, it's got a physical feel to it. Oh god I'm so sorry my art education is coming through.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm gonna go get a pair of Terese Nielsen Liliana Vess and then actually get some Thoughtseizes.

Maybe I'll build a Black deck in the new Standard too. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Oraculum Animi posted:

I know Terese uses actual traditional media, goauche, colored pencil, and oil paint. I'm assuming Rebecca does as well considering it has the feel of traditional media. I think that's a big reason why they stand out, their art looks different, it's got a physical feel to it. Oh god I'm so sorry my art education is coming through.

Please don't be sorry, art-educated posts are good :)

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Oraculum Animi posted:

No, no, that's actually really cool! As much as I'm a fan of more "obviously" digital art, seeing elaborate traditional media stuff alongside it is really fascinating. I'm a strong believer that they can really reach the same end goal, but the processes involved in creating with either are different enough that knowing which is which really does explain why certain decisions are the way they are - like you said, it's more of a "physical" feel.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Heavy Lobster posted:

If we're on real-world art references, are there any cards in particular that look like Klimt's Athena? That's another one of my favorite paintings and I feel like there must be a lot of stuff way back in older Magic that sort of attempts to evoke the style.

Not Athena, not old and not even original MTG art but I can't think of Klimt in the context of MTG without feeling compelled to bring up the greatest card alter yet made.

Sep 13, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

I think Rebecca Guay is close. She doesn't have the patterning in the background that Klimt has but the figures both have a similar texture. I'm not very familiar with a lot of older card artist so there may be one that stands out more since digital art wasn't always a thing.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

UberJew posted:

I have both this and a Nielson Swords to Plowshares in one of my EDH decks. I prefer to blow away particularly annoying creatures in style. :kamina:

I wish they'd print a nonfoil version with this art, though. Because A) I'm not big on foils and B) they'd be cheap enough that I could buy more to replace the Conflux/MM ones in my other decks.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 22, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Can someone explain this art to me?

Remember the butt train.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zonekeeper posted:

I have both this and a Nielson Swords to Plowshares in one of my EDH decks. I prefer to blow away particularly annoying creatures in style. :kamina:

I wish they'd print a nonfoil version with this art, though. Because A) I'm not big on foils and B) they'd be cheap enough that I could buy more to replace the Conflux/MM ones in my other decks.

I have a couple Guay PtE proxies in a Modern deck because I'm too lazy to pull real (non-Guay) PtEs out of my EDH decks. Plus I think that if you're printing proxies, you should also print the coolest/rarest form of the card in question :v:

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
I put up a thread for a Vintage Rotisserie Draft if anyone's interested.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Niton posted:

One of my favorite MTGO price quirks is that 4 JTMS cost less than 4 Force of Wills (which, in turn, cost slightly less than a single Liliana of the Veil). Lili's secondary market value is insane.

When I won a bunch of ISD block constructed playing Newspaper Sorin Werewolf Tokens I bought 9 LOTV for the heck of it. :stonklol:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

rabidsquid posted:

When I won a bunch of ISD block constructed playing Newspaper Sorin Werewolf Tokens I bought 9 LOTV for the heck of it. :stonklol:
Didja make bank off of it? How was ISD Block anyways?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

neetengie posted:

Didja make bank off of it? How was ISD Block anyways?

I bought Modern Pod and still have 5 LOTV left. As for how ISD Block was, it was probably my favorite block format in years. The major archetypes changed with every single release in the block. There was a fun BUG Garruk/LOTV/Snapcaster/Manor Garogyle deck as well as a Boros aggro with just ISD, then when Sorin came around the B/W/R tokens decks were ridiculously good, and full set brought about Miracles (which wasn't that great in spite of winning that PT) as well as a pretty fun Gisella control deck and a really strong Naya deck.

The mana was atrocious and Blasphemous Act was the only viable wrath for a long time. The meta changed a lot though which kept it fresh, unlike recent block constructed formats.

Seriously rip block constructed, I really truly did love you :(

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Man did I love the four color Splinterfright decks from ISD block constructed. Gnaw to the Bone gives you 40+ life for both castings, Kessig Cagebreakers making a zillion wolves, and near infinate spiders.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

rabidsquid posted:

I bought Modern Pod and still have 5 LOTV left. As for how ISD Block was, it was probably my favorite block format in years. The major archetypes changed with every single release in the block. There was a fun BUG Garruk/LOTV/Snapcaster/Manor Garogyle deck as well as a Boros aggro with just ISD, then when Sorin came around the B/W/R tokens decks were ridiculously good, and full set brought about Miracles (which wasn't that great in spite of winning that PT) as well as a pretty fun Gisella control deck and a really strong Naya deck.

The mana was atrocious and Blasphemous Act was the only viable wrath for a long time. The meta changed a lot though which kept it fresh, unlike recent block constructed formats.

Seriously rip block constructed, I really truly did love you :(
That sounds like a lot of fun, as usual I missed out on it. :sigh:
Hopefully Khans block constructed is gr8. Should be.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

Man did I love the four color Splinterfright decks from ISD block constructed. Gnaw to the Bone gives you 40+ life for both castings, Kessig Cagebreakers making a zillion wolves, and near infinate spiders.

Yeah that Horned Turtle that milled was amazing, the meta early on was basically just that Gnaw to the Bone deck and Boros Aggro. Don't forget Tree of Redemption keeping you alive with Gnaw to the Bone. It was really surprising that Burning Vengeance was more of a draft archetype than constructed, although there were a few Desolate Lighthouse Burning Vengeance decks hanging around the fringes.

Kind of funny that Delver wasn't much of a thing during block too.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

MaRo's tumblr posted:

quote:

meteorchestra said:

Can you give us a few topics that your article for Monday isn't about?

The role of hats in world building

The difference between rats and squirrels

Who would win in a free-for-all cooking contest among members of the Pit

Alternate ideas for how my podcast might have worked

Interrupts - Where are they now?

Zones that we don’t reference

The Great Designer Search 3
:v:

That last one's some information, at least.

I just realized this is probably actually some nothing article that he's hyping up so that we'll all talk about it when it ends up being something stupid.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I bet he'd have fun writing about "Zones that we don't reference."

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

is there a zone now that isn't referenced by some card?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

LaTex Fetish posted:

The friend zone

:cool:

e: Oh lord I really hope Unset 3 is released in a timely enough manner to have a card that takes the piss out of MRAs.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

The friend zone

:cool:

e: Oh lord I really hope Unset 3 is released in a timely enough manner to have a card that takes the piss out of MRAs.

haha they dont want to alienate their target market

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

LaTex Fetish posted:

haha they dont want to alienate their target market

Hey, they already did one for one of their pro players!

:rimshot:

e: But also, having a fedora-like card wouldn't really be without precedent.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 22, 2014

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

LaTex Fetish posted:

Ante, and with very rare exceptions, the stack.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Kind of funny that Delver wasn't much of a thing during block too.

Eh, Delver isn't that good unless you have a lot of library manipulation and a lot of instants/sorceries in your deck while simultaneously being at least moderately aggressive. That's a fairly hard set of requirements to fulfill in a format as small as block, especially in modern blocks.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
Rules question: if I use the new Jaces' ultimate when he is at 8 loyalty so that he dies, does he also shuffle back into the library?

I pulled one in draft last night and while that situation didn't happen, I was curious about how that would work.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DarkRider09 posted:

Rules question: if I use the new Jaces' ultimate when he is at 8 loyalty so that he dies, does he also shuffle back into the library?

Yes.

Here's what happens: You -8 Jace, his ability goes on the stack. SBEs are checked, sending your planeswalker with 0 loyalty to the graveyard. Then, assuming no one else has something to play, Jace's ability resolves.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DarkRider09 posted:

I pulled one in draft last night and while that situation didn't happen, I was curious about how that would work.

Yes.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Sliver hive into hive lord? Endless hornets? Idgi.

He can chord of calling into Sliver Hivelord, Hornet Nest (for a big attacker this is hilarious), or a Hornet Queen in a long game. That's pack one

e: Hivelord, not queen!!

Death Bot fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 22, 2014

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Elyv posted:

Yes.

Here's what happens: You -8 Jace, his ability goes on the stack. SBEs are checked, sending your planeswalker with 0 loyalty to the graveyard. Then, assuming no one else has something to play, Jace's ability resolves.

Thanks.

That's what I thought it was, but I wasn't sure.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
New KTK spoiler via the September FNM poster:

Dragon Throne of Tarkir - 4

Legendary Artifact - Equipment

Equipped creature has defender and "2, T: Other creatures you control gain trample and get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is this creature's power."

Equip 3

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

New KTK spoiler via the September FNM poster:

Dragon Throne of Tarkir - 4

Legendary Artifact - Equipment

Equipped creature has defender and "2, T: Other creatures you control gain trample and get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is this creature's power."

Equip 3

Oh my god that's so flavorful :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm imagining a giant fat ogre or something getting its butt wedged in the throne, so it's stuck on him as he waddles around barking orders to his subjects.

• Locked thread