Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

so that I've got money for other real-world things. v:shobon:v

An Elektron Rytm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dan Hollis posted:

An Elektron Rytm?

Don't be silly, he's buying a Buchla, of course.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
My next purchase will be a time machine, so I can go back to 1980 and become the king of cheesy synth pop.

https://soundcloud.com/deathray-charles/double-jam

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm grabbing an RM1x though because I've been eying them forever and I finally found one that's actually cheap, and I still want at least one groovebox-y thing to jam with my friend with. But yeah, part of the reason I've been posting here less on the whole actually synth thing is I'm busy learning music theory and selling synths I have so that I've got money for other real-world things. v:shobon:v

I approve of this. If you're buying it locally, it's probably my old one. In which case 1: do not remove the "drum machines have no bad habits" sticker, 2: his name is Incitatus.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Not local, sorry.

I'm gonna need that sticker though.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So those with the OP-1, how well do they play with other synths and overall would you recommend them for a more techno/industrial sound? I know they're built rather well but the sound of it is still a mystery to me.

e: After some quick research they don't play with anyone ever but they're still cool and that screen is fantastic.

net work error fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 21, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not local, sorry.

I'm gonna need that sticker though.

You're also almost definitely going to need to replace the tact switches.

edit

Yannes Mannes

Sizone fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 21, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

net work error posted:

So those with the OP-1, how well do they play with other synths and overall would you recommend them for a more techno/industrial sound? I know they're built rather well but the sound of it is still a mystery to me.

e: After some quick research they don't play with anyone ever but they're still cool and that screen is fantastic.

My jamming buddy has one, they seem super super cool but there's a reason it stays in a box when the rest of our hardware is out for jam time.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
bmp is 143

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ou22uaxp82zi9cu/rid_backturned_stems.rar

Turn your back to the future!

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/back-turned-to-the-future-prototype

Sizone fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 21, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

net work error posted:

For hooking it up without a computer you'll need to get the OpLab accessory which is like $300 but gives a ton of I/O (including cv). I've been hooking my Op1 up to my laptop via USB and routing the output to my hardware via a MIDI interface. Works pretty fantastic, it's a great portable controller imho among other things

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
You can use any standalone host<->midi bridge, iconnect or kenton, etc. None of them are cheap but they are cheaper than the oplab. You'd miss out on CVs, obv.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Got one of them Target sale iPad minis. What audio/midi interface do I want? Please don't make me go to the ios thread.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
So couple of pages back I posted saying something about my friend and I jamming on our TR8 and Microbrute.
Fast forward to today, my friend purchased a Zoom G3 and the Volca series and we are already scouting out a JX-3P on ebay. I'm kind of scared I am going to find him homeless clutching his synthesizers. I should note that we've been doing this for about a month or so.
Anyway I'm blaming you guys because I mostly put these ideas in his head and I didn't make them up out of thin air!!!!!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Firaga posted:

So couple of pages back I posted saying something about my friend and I jamming on our TR8 and Microbrute.
Fast forward to today, my friend purchased a Zoom G3 and the Volca series and we are already scouting out a JX-3P on ebay. I'm kind of scared I am going to find him homeless clutching his synthesizers. I should note that we've been doing this for about a month or so.
Anyway I'm blaming you guys because I mostly put these ideas in his head and I didn't make them up out of thin air!!!!!
It's you, you are the synth pusher.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

minidracula posted:

It's you, you are the synth pusher.

Robot fart pusher

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Pusher-bot fart-thousand.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't trust the pusher bot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Don't trust the pusher bot.

You are mistaken. Pushing is the answer.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Sizone posted:

Got one of them Target sale iPad minis. What audio/midi interface do I want? Please don't make me go to the ios thread.

I've got the Behringer UCA202 audio interface, which is powered by the iPad (you need the USB adapter) and very portable. For MIDI I just use a cheap USB-MIDI cable. If you want to do "bigger things", here's a list of other audio interfaces: http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So the Lexicon MPX500 has a flanger that can push itself into feedback internally by cranking one of the resonance parameters past 50%/-50%. It sounds great to have a gnarly feedback panning around in stereo space.

I wonder though: is it likely to be safe for the hardware? The OVR indicator comes on without the input being driven, so that's worrying.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Bury the needle.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sub 37 makes warm fat noise and growling fat noise. It's good.

So weird going from the mini brutes vague rear end pots and the blofelds stepping to something so minute and beautiful.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Hey guys!, thanks to Krustic, I just took delivery of an Arturia Microbrute, my third synth in two months oh god what is happening to meeeee???... :psyduck: :smith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

minidracula posted:

Hey guys!, thanks to Krustic, I just took delivery of an Arturia Microbrute, my third synth in two months oh god what is happening to meeeee???... :psyduck: :smith:

One of us... One of us...

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I just spent an evening with this:

Seriously proper emulation of a Prophet 5. Next time I have some cash to spare I'm getting this.
VA or not, this is amazingly fun to use and it sounds great.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

minidracula posted:

I believe it's called "The Becoming".

I've been diving into the VFX-SD lately. For some reason when I first got it it seemed noisy as hell, but it's dead quiet now. Anyway, just a bunch of detuned saw waves and a little delay/reverb, it sounds so nice. The factory patches are all terribly overdone.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Firaga posted:

Just so you know: I don't think the TR-8 is capable of the trigger out to drive the JX-3P sequencer, if that was your intention. It might be able to on the assignable outs I see on the back. I remember hoping I could do it with some transient from a DAW, but it wouldn't work. They may have made it so you can, but I don't want you to get the 3P (good synth) and be disappointed with that. Look into it to make sure, but I would sort of be surprised if they did considering the small amount of gear that has that feature.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
A simulated trigger signal needs to be absolutely loud as gently caress. Take a rimshot sample pitch it up and boost it until its maximum level and assign it to an individual output.
I have done this on a MPC loads of time, so it should work in a DAW as well.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I really really hate everyone who bids against me on eBay when I'm resigned to buying something. gently caress those people.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I really really hate everyone who bids against me on eBay. gently caress those people.

Universal rule of ebay.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I really really hate everyone who bids against me on eBay when I'm resigned to buying something. gently caress those people.

If you aren't using esnipe you're not really ebaying.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I got sniped with 3secs left last time I lost. gently caress that fucker.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
After my Waldorf Microwave debacle, I've resigned myself to not buying synths on eBay anymore.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Startyde posted:

Bury the needle.

The answer to every synthesis drug question.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
Any OP-1 owners here own the Oplab?

I'd like to make drum machines out of old metal toys (in the same manner as shown below with kitchen objects):

Imagine a Voltron kit...

Dan Hollis fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 24, 2014

piss bucket 420
Aug 20, 2014

by Ralp
I don't think I need to spend $300 to hook up random bullshit to a midi-cv rig that would cost like $50 at most to build. Also everyone who pays $50 for a pretty piezo deserves everything they get.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Pretty sure it's capacitive, and don't synth shame. No one gives a gently caress and it's better to reserve the sentiments of dumbness for really dumb, wasteful stuff, like buying a tb-303 or blowing 300$ on an ASR-X then another 300+ on ram, a cf drive and bogus software to do something that could be done in, like, 20 minutes with Reaktor.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sizone posted:

it's better to reserve the sentiments of dumbness for really dumb, wasteful stuff, like buying a tb-303

Everybody needs a 303.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

loljk just got a bass station rack and I'm tripping balls :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Everybody needs a 303.

Everybody needs a monophonic bass synth with a screechy resonant filter and a grid sequencer. In essence, everybody needs an Rm1x or an RS7000.