Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the feedback!

I made the following tweaks:

- Upped 2-Row to 9#
- Dropped the CaraRed

From the site I found that explains diastatic power, I found the following equation:

(Lintner for grain * weight) / (total mash weight) = batch Lintner, which should be > 30

They estimate 2-Row at 140 Lintner, which gives me (9*140) / 18.5 = 68.1, which should be plenty to convert all the starches, correct? None of the other mash ingredients seem to have any diastatic power so I've plugged in zero for their values.

e: also cut down the DME to try to maintain roughly the same estimated OG.

nullfunction fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ChiTownEddie posted:

Dang. AHA tweeted the recipe to an Oktoberfest. I really want to brew one but I'm not sure I want to dedicate my single fridge that doubles as a 1 vessel fermentation chamber/kegerator to 1 beer for 2 months of brew time.
Has anyone made something slightly resembling an oktoberfest in ale form? How'd it turn out?

I haven't, but I did just brew an Ofest with reasonably high gravity (1.067) that I'll be kegging in 2 days or so, grain to keg 14 days, expecting grain to glass in 21 days:

more falafel please posted:

If you're kegging, do the quick lager method and be drinking it by mid-September: http://brulosophy.com/lager-method/

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well hot drat.
I'm brewing an Oktoberfest.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

nullfunction posted:

Could I get your opinions on this recipe? My brew buddy and I are looking to do this labor day weekend.

-----

"Rye Me A River" RIPA

10 Gallon Batch, Partial Mash

5# 2-Row
5# Flaked Rye
3# CaraRed
3# Crystal 30L
1.5# Chocolate Rye Malt

Mash 60 minutes @152°F, mash out at 168°F.

9# Light DME in the boil (we only have so much mash space)

1oz each Amarillo and Chinook @ 60 minutes
1oz each Amarillo and Chinook @ 10 minutes
1oz each Amarillo and Chinook @ flame out
1oz each Amarillo and Chinook dry hop

A pretty big starter of WLP001

-----

We're both what I'd call intermediate homebrewers, have a keggle setup, and have been able to follow recipes we've found without trouble, as well as tweak to our liking. This is my second "from scratch" recipe (the first one, a vanilla bourbon sweet stout, turned out awesome), so I'm still a little shaky on percentages, especially never having brewed with rye before.

I've read varying opinions, some saying never go past 15% rye, others saying 20%+ really brings out the spice. Does anyone have experience with Chocolate Rye? I found that Sierra Nevada' Ruthless Rye (a favorite) includes chocolate malt. At any rate, we'll be using a fair amount of rice hulls to ensure the mash doesn't become stuck.

I plugged it all into Brewtoad, which estimates:

41 IBU
7.7% ABV
21 SRM

Any thoughts?

As was mentioned previously, you have WAY too much in the way of dark specialty malts. It's going to be too sweet, dark, and roasty. I wouldn't get rid of the CaraRed, just cut it by about half. I made a red once with about 5% CaraRed and it was really nice. Flaked Rye is probably not what you want since it has less rye flavor than rye malt, no diastatic power, and will give your beer a really thick consistency if you use that much. Switch that out in favor of regular Rye Malt, IMO.

As for the hop additions, 41 IBU is not going to be enough bitterness to balance out the malty sweetness of this sort of beer and make it taste anything like an IPA. Amarillo is wasted as a 60 minute addition and Chinook can be a little harsh for bittering. Move that 60 minute addition up to between 15 minutes and flameout and substitute 2oz of a good neutral bittering hop like Warrior, Magnum, or Columbus.

You could do something like:

9# DME
7# 2 row
5# Rye Malt
1.5# CaraRed
1# CaraRye (or crystal 60 if you can't find that)
0.5# Chocolate Rye

2oz Warrior @60 min
1 oz each Amarillo and Chinook @10 min
1 oz each Amarillo and Chinook @5 min
1 oz each Amarillo and Chinook @flameout
1 oz each Amarillo and Chinook dry hop

1.072 OG at 65% efficiency

14 SRM
66 IBU

1.014 FG and 7.5 ABV at 80% attenuation

(All estimates from Brewtoad)

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

nerds posted:

Ofest chatz

I'm tempted to finally brew an oktoberfest though I don't have great lagering availability - I'll assume Cal Common is an okay sub for that, yes?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Jacobey000 posted:

I'm tempted to finally brew an oktoberfest though I don't have great lagering availability - I'll assume Cal Common is an okay sub for that, yes?

Last "Oktoberfest" I did was with US05 at 60 degrees and turned out decently clean and quite tasty.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Jacobey000 posted:

I tried that a few times and was never happy with the results but I might have been expecting too much since I drink Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr by the gallon.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
This may seem like an odd request, but I need to track down an issue I have been having with my hoppy beers. I'm not sure if the issue is my recipe formulation or somewhere in my process, so I'd like to brew a kit that others have had good results from. And just so the "good results" can be baselined, I think I'll brew a kit that is intended as a clone of a beer I have had before or that I can get relatively easily.

SO... please recommend to me:
  • a beer kit
  • all-grain or extract
  • for a hoppy beer
  • that is a clone of a commercial beer
  • which I can get in SoCal
  • that you have brewed
  • that you thought was a decent approximation of the target beer.

If no other option presents itself, I may just decide to fall back to NB's Plinian Legacy:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/all-grain-kits/the-plinian-legacy-all-grain-recipe-kit.html

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
That recipe kit is worth the hops alone, pretty good deal.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've heard that Pliny clones are pretty easy to get right, so if you can easily get Pliny to compare against (jealous), that'd be my suggestion. Otherwise, SNPA or Stone Enjoy By would be good choices.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Jo3sh posted:

This may seem like an odd request, but I need to track down an issue I have been having with my hoppy beers. I'm not sure if the issue is my recipe formulation or somewhere in my process, so I'd like to brew a kit that others have had good results from. And just so the "good results" can be baselined, I think I'll brew a kit that is intended as a clone of a beer I have had before or that I can get relatively easily.

SO... please recommend to me:
  • a beer kit
  • all-grain or extract
  • for a hoppy beer
  • that is a clone of a commercial beer
  • which I can get in SoCal
  • that you have brewed
  • that you thought was a decent approximation of the target beer.

If no other option presents itself, I may just decide to fall back to NB's Plinian Legacy:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/all-grain-kits/the-plinian-legacy-all-grain-recipe-kit.html

What are you trying to narrow down? Minimal hop character in your beer or something?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

wildfire1 posted:

What are you trying to narrow down? Minimal hop character in your beer or something?

When I can get hops in my beer, it requires larger additions than I think it ought to, and they age out in weeks, not months. I had a nice IPA that I was drinking nicely in July. It wasn't world-class, or anything, but at least it was bitter. Then I went away for two weeks. Not it's significantly less bitter, and a lot of the hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma has turned into a sort of mushy mess that's wrapped up in this weird caramel flavor. It's really starting to piss me off.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Jo3sh posted:

When I can get hops in my beer, it requires larger additions than I think it ought to, and they age out in weeks, not months. I had a nice IPA that I was drinking nicely in July. It wasn't world-class, or anything, but at least it was bitter. Then I went away for two weeks. Not it's significantly less bitter, and a lot of the hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma has turned into a sort of mushy mess that's wrapped up in this weird caramel flavor. It's really starting to piss me off.

Flavour and aroma turning to caramel means oxidation, so it sounds like an oxygen uptake problem to me. You probably know that already though.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I agree it sounds like that, but I'm trying to eliminate variables here.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I have 10 gallons of a DIPA that was kegged about 4 weeks ago, it was awesome for 3.5 weeks and now the aroma/flavor is starting to fall off the cliff really fast. I feel your pain brother. I have resolved myself to just trying to choke it down as fast as I can so I can enjoy it while it's still very good.

I really don't know how some of the more commercial breweries get shelf lives so long in comparison.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

I agree it sounds like that, but I'm trying to eliminate variables here.

Have all your hops been coming from one source? Maybe they've been old or not sealed well.

I have yet to have that problem, though on the aroma front, I dry hop everything that I want to taste hoppy which would certainly help there.

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

edit: Claimed!

This is a longshot but if any fellow goon (or goon friend/family) around Eastern PA needs some all grain gear for free, I've got you covered. I have a converted Gott cooler and a large kettle with a propane burner I'm willing to part with if it can help someone get started with all grain. To complete the setup I do have an immersion chiller as well but I'd want to sell that as I still have partial use for it.

EnsignVix fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 22, 2014

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

rockcity posted:

Have all your hops been coming from one source? Maybe they've been old or not sealed well.

I buy pellets in bulk from Freshops. I leave them in their sealed pouches until I need to open them, and I reseal them in Foodsaver bags (vacuum and heatsealed). Last hoppy batch, though, I bought some of the hops from the FLHBS - whole leaf in sealed HopUnion bags.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Jo3sh posted:

I buy pellets in bulk from Freshops. I leave them in their sealed pouches until I need to open them, and I reseal them in Foodsaver bags (vacuum and heatsealed). Last hoppy batch, though, I bought some of the hops from the FLHBS - whole leaf in sealed HopUnion bags.

Do you store the hops in a freezer?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Yes, always frozen unless I am using them.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
So my toasted oat milk stout has been fermenting away in the primary on a blowoff tube at 64 degrees for 13 days now and I was ready to move it over to a secondary for a bit to settle out, do a cold crash and then keg. I sanitized my secondary and went to take a gravity reading beforehand just to check on it and clearly my starter wasn't big enough to handle the task as it's sitting at 1.030 right now, down from 1.068 OG. Brewtoad had it calculated to finish at 1.018 with the Wyeast Irish Ale yeast that I used. I've yet to not have a beer finish close to where it was supposed to and I'm not quite sure what I should do at this point. Do I raise the temp in my fermentation freezer to see if that can kickstart the yeast cake into doing some extra work? Do I pitch another smack pack to try to finish the job? I'm a bit worried that another smack pack would dry it out more than I'd like it too, but I have no experience in this so I'm really not sure.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

How much lactose did you use? My uninformed guess is that you actually are finished, but that Brewtoad goofed up the FG calculation, not taking the unfermentability of the lactose into account.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

How much lactose did you use? My uninformed guess is that you actually are finished, but that Brewtoad goofed up the FG calculation, not taking the unfermentability of the lactose into account.

1 lb. I wouldn't think 1 lb of it in 5.5 gallons or so would keep it that high though. I did move it over from a blowoff tube to an airlock and there does still seem to be some activity though. Maybe I just need to give it another week. If I give it more time, should I keep it at the 66 degrees or should I maybe bump it up a bit to try to get it to clean things up some more.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

That ought to bump your FG by about 5 or 6 points, meaning (if my assumption about BrewToad not accounting for it correctly) that you would not be expecting 1.018 but more like 1.024. So you're still a little higher than planned, but not way out of bounds or anything. Leaving it a few more days at your current ferment temp or maybe just a few degrees warmer before cold-crashing seems like a good bet; if it hasn't changed after that, I'd just package it as normal.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 22, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

That ought to bump your FG by about 5 or 6 points, meaning (if my assumption about BrewToad not accounting for it correctly) that you would not be expecting 1.018 but more like 1.024. So you're still a little higher than planned, but not way out of bounds or anything. Leaving it a few more days at your current ferment temp or maybe just a few degrees warmer before cold-crashing seems like a good bet; if it hasn't changed after that, I'd just package it as normal.

I have to imagine they'd know how to sort out unfermentables when calculating the FG, but I could be wrong. I did some digging around and other people who've been a bit shy did raise the temp a bit and gave the yeast a gentle stir, so I bumped it up to 72 degrees and used the back end of my long spoon to get down in there and gave it a few light swirls. I'll check it again on Monday to see if things moved at all.

Either way, it tasted pretty solid, just a touch sweeter than I was hoping for.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

rockcity posted:

I have to imagine they'd know how to sort out unfermentables when calculating the FG, but I could be wrong.

Actually, I just did a quick test. I threw together a dumb, basic recipe (10# 2-row, 1# dextrose, some hops, and some yeast). It showed a projected FG of 1.015. Then I swapped out the dextrose for lactose - FG 1.014.

So their calculator is busted.

If anyone cares:
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/testing-something

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

pugnax posted:

Yeah, that was the idea actually! Interesting to do it as a starter vs from the runnings though.

I've been sort of loosely planning my brew schedule for the rest of the year and have been trying to reuse yeasts. I was thinking about trying to do a handful of high gravity beers that would make good smallbeers using the same mash. Tripel -> Patersbier, RIS -> Mild, etc.

I managed to finally find some Yeast Bay strains in Australia, and they are retardedly fresh. Literally less than a month old. So I got myself a couple vials of Conan from Heady Topper, and I am gonna use each vial as individual strains. Freeze one, keep one live kind of thing, but one will be used in a session IPA and the other in a heady clone.

But seriously small beers fuckin own. The patersbier I had recently was just amazing. Light phenolic belgian yeast character, with some slight notes of saaz hops and a very subtle malt sweetness from Dingemans' Pilsner malt. But I want to try do a small session IPA much like the All Day IPA (founders??) one but less alcoholic.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

nullfunction posted:

Could I get your opinions on this recipe? My brew buddy and I are looking to do this labor day weekend.

-----

"Rye Me A River" RIPA

10 Gallon Batch, Partial Mash

5# 2-Row
5# Flaked Rye
3# CaraRed
3# Crystal 30L
1.5# Chocolate Rye Malt

Mash 60 minutes @152°F, mash out at 168°F.

9# Light DME in the boil (we only have so much mash space)

1oz each Amarillo and Chinook @ 60 minutes
1oz each Amarillo and Chinook @ 10 minutes
1oz each Amarillo and Chinook @ flame out
1oz each Amarillo and Chinook dry hop

A pretty big starter of WLP001

-----

We're both what I'd call intermediate homebrewers, have a keggle setup, and have been able to follow recipes we've found without trouble, as well as tweak to our liking. This is my second "from scratch" recipe (the first one, a vanilla bourbon sweet stout, turned out awesome), so I'm still a little shaky on percentages, especially never having brewed with rye before.

I've read varying opinions, some saying never go past 15% rye, others saying 20%+ really brings out the spice. Does anyone have experience with Chocolate Rye? I found that Sierra Nevada' Ruthless Rye (a favorite) includes chocolate malt. At any rate, we'll be using a fair amount of rice hulls to ensure the mash doesn't become stuck.

I plugged it all into Brewtoad, which estimates:

41 IBU
7.7% ABV
21 SRM

Any thoughts?

Dump the choc rye and switch to caramel rye. Sixpoint's Righteous uses a bit of it and it's not something I think suits a Rye IPA at all. Personal opinion:
68% Base
15% malted rye
6% flaked rye
11% crystal/caramel rye.
Hops - Ella if you can get them, a huge steep for 30 mins on about 50 IBU of a spicy hop. Personal preference in a rye beer is Ella (Aussie hop) which works fantastically well with Rye. Anything with a decent spice character will do, preferably leaf hops if possible.

That's my Rye IPA recipe anyway. Personal and friend's opinion is that anything under 20% total rye isn't a rye beer, and until that point you won't really taste a whole lot.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

McSpergin posted:

I managed to finally find some Yeast Bay strains in Australia

How did you manage that? There is a few strains I'd be interested in.

Flea Bargain fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 23, 2014

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

wildfire1 posted:

How did you manage that? There is a few strains I'd be interested in.

They're carried by a new online store http://www.barleyman.com.au/ I did a pale ale with AU cascade, nelson sauvin and galaxy using the Vermont Ale strain and it turned out awesome.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Does anyone have a favorite solution for a poppet that keeps clogging with hop bits that doesn't involve using a hop bag? I think I might just trim the diptube a tiny bit and/or get some steel wool to fit over the opening.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Anyone ever done a short-boil extract beer before? Yesterday for the hell of it I brewed a 15-minute boil hoppy pale ale with Pilsner LME and all Dr. Rudi hops. Should be interesting.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Glottis posted:

Anyone ever done a short-boil extract beer before? Yesterday for the hell of it I brewed a 15-minute boil hoppy pale ale with Pilsner LME and all Dr. Rudi hops. Should be interesting.

James Spencer with Basic Brewing Radio swears by 15 minute boils. If you're looking for confirmation there you go, and if you want recipes he has a couple on his site.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Glottis posted:

I've done a good number of those; it's a great way to churn out quick pales/IPAs.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

You get enough bitter character with that short of a boil? I thought the bittering magic only happened when hops are in there for at least 20min.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

pugnax posted:

You get enough bitter character with that short of a boil? I thought the bittering magic only happened when hops are in there for at least 20min.
I guess the idea is to use a shitload of hops to get bittering in 1/4-1/3 the normal time. Like 3-5 ounces per 5 gal. NB has a popular recipe kit.

I've been meaning to do a short boil but always forget about them when making recipes.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
The table here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

Suggests that you get about twice the bittering out of hops boiled for an hour compared to 15 minutes. So if you just double the amount of bittering hops you use you should be fine and dandy.

15 minutes is plenty of time to kill the bugs in the wort.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Buddies and I are taking our first foray into a tripel and the not quite finished results have been interesting. We're doing a partial mash and I'm too lazy to go get the brew book for all the ingredients, but the OG was a very hefty 1.098 with Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Abbey smack pack - the wort was easily the sweetest thing I have ever tasted (and I once ate a big heaping bowl of sugar.) We split the wort into two separate six gallon glass carboys to avoid excess blow-off and primary fermented at about 72-74 degrees.

Nothing happened in either carboy for two or three days and my initial concern was that the OG was too high for our yeast, but after that initial couple days I got good action in both the carboys. I just put into secondary fermentation tonight (about 10 days in primary), strong banana smell, semi-dark color, and a gravity of 1.013. So, that puts the ABV above 11% and AA of 86%.

Does anyone have experience with tripels/high OG beers to know if this is at all normal? The taste I had before putting it into secondary gave me some confidence, tasted like a tripel with an almost 'scotchy' taste...presumably from the high alcohol content. Is there anything else we can do in secondary to try and mitigate the really boozy taste? Should we be careful adding too much corn sugar during bottle conditioning?

Thanks goons.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

I've never done a Belgian that big, but previous barleywines I've let sit in primary for a good month or two and then secondary for another 8 months or so before bottling. Pretty sure the only thing that takes down the 'hot' boozy flavor is patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Depends on whether it's a harsh solventy booze flavour or not. If it is its not going away, and is probably because you massively underpitched. Otherwise time should let it mellow, but a tripel is supposed to have a touch of warming alcohol.

Flea Bargain fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 25, 2014