Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Snipee posted:

It is very telling about the demographics here for posters to mention the Nazis and ignore the Japanese war crimes from the same war. If we really want to talk about murder, rape, and plunder, then I am surprised by the lack of credit for the Mongols in a thread about the Middle East. But I mean, please let's continue the Western dick measuring contest.

Because the argument literally is "this group that has existed as a singular entity and for some reason isn't Britain which we're pretending doesn't exist, that still exists, has the highest kill count, regardless of how long it has been around, and that is why America is v bad."

It is not a coincidence these posters are completely absent in foreign concerned D&D threads that the American military is not currently making headlines in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > poo poo happened in The Middle East but let's talk about how America is basically Hitler

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

But it's important to keep in mind who is the most evil.

Why?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Why are people attempting to have a serious debate with BrownBlitzkrieg? You do know that's not how he works, right?

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

New Division posted:

The mismatch between the way Obama is talking about ISIS as a threat and what the admistration is stating they will do to fight them is jarring as hell. THEY ARE AN EXISTENTIAL THREAT so we're going to undertake a very small limited operation.

Iran, Hezbollah, Kurds that are on America's terrorist list, and Iraqi shia death squads that showed the sunni terrorists a new level of shame during the Iraq civil war are doing most of the work.

The only people doing this for no gain in territory are the shia. They are the good guys against the supreme evil of the sunni IS threat around the world. Even so, the Shia are blamed for trivial things by the world powers while Israel Jacks off that their new sunni allies (the gcc) fund the genocide of religious minorities and whole sale massacre of the only people who embarrassed Israel twice.

There is no secret that Saudi Arabia and Israel are allies and there is no secret that Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the USA supported IS so that Syria would be weakened in a permanent state of war so Israel could keep the Golan Heights forever and Saudi Arabia could export wahhabism and salifism to other countries with their billions of dollars.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

GuyinCognito posted:

There is no secret that Saudi Arabia and Israel are allies and there is no secret that Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the USA supported IS so that Syria would be weakened in a permanent state of war so Israel could keep the Golan Heights forever and Saudi Arabia could export wahhabism and salifism to other countries with their billions of dollars.

America supported IS? Do go on. :allears:

It's not like Assad was making ominous overtones towards the Israelis and the Golan just before March 2011. In fact, you could probably say that he, much like any other dictator in the region, would prefer to keep that issue festering as a way to distract the population from his own government's doings.

Edit: see also every Arab pronouncement regarding the "Palestinian cause" despite treating them like a fifth column in their own countries, keeping them confined to refugee camps, etc.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Considering that the figures for things like Vietnam and Iraq include the total casualties for both wars regardless of how directly involved the United States was in actually killing all the people listed then the United States is easily beaten by applying the same standards to various other entities including Nazi Germany, the major European empires and, if you want to go way back, stuff like the Mongols or Romans.

Also, its probably worth keeping in mind that Saddam's Iraq was not the worlds largest economy and third most populous nation on the planet, but at over a million people killed he did pretty well with what he had to work with!

None of those organisations still exist. None of them are related to this conversation. I highly doubt Saddam killed a million people. And there would have been a thousand times less deaths in Vietnam if the USA had simply not started that war.

Because somebody said Saddam Hussein was worse than America, and they were god drat wrong.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 22, 2014

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I keep mistaking knee-jerk leftism as evidence of critical thought. On one hand, I prefer that over cheerleading capitalism and whitewashing racist imperialism. On the other hand, it's often hilariously Eurocentric and reflexively downplays the fact that the underdogs might be oppressive pieces of poo poo themselves. I cannot help but suspect that a significant amount of anti-Americanism and anti-Western sentiment is just childish first world rebellion against the norm. Can we agree that we can all be assholes given the opportunity? I want to hear more about the airstrikes that killed three Hamas commanders. What can we say about Israeli intelligence capabilities?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

None of those organisations still exist.

Britain still exists seriously what is your deal

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Best Friends posted:

Britain still exists seriously what is your deal

The British Empire is dead, its relevance consigned to the mere pages of history books. It plays about as much role in modern day warmongering as Australia does - little brother to America, world bully. Yes, the BE was worse than the US. Do you want a loving prize?

e: I'm not posting anything else about this derail. I just wanted that one guy to explain himself wrt Hussein vs. America.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

So 2014 America is accountable for Custer but 2014 Britain is not accountable for the entirety of British history even though your criterion this entire time has been "organization that still exists."

Why it's almost as if you have the beliefs of a cartoon character / literal child

Almost

quote:

e: I'm not posting anything else about this derail. I just wanted that one guy to explain himself wrt Hussein vs. America.

"I cannot believe people are seriously engaging me"

That's fair.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The British Empire is dead, its relevance consigned to the mere pages of history books. It plays about as much role in modern day warmongering as Australia does - little brother to America, world bully. Yes, the BE was worse than the US. Do you want a loving prize?

Until the last English gentleman lies garroted by his own entrails in the burning ruins of London we will have no peace.

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

suboptimal posted:

America supported IS? Do go on. :allears:

It's not like Assad was making ominous overtones towards the Israelis and the Golan just before March 2011. In fact, you could probably say that he, much like any other dictator in the region, would prefer to keep that issue festering as a way to distract the population from his own government's doings.

Edit: see also every Arab pronouncement regarding the "Palestinian cause" despite treating them like a fifth column in their own countries, keeping them confined to refugee camps, etc.

Syria and Israel where hashing out a peace deal which would entail stealing more water from the west bank and giving the Golan back to Syria in exchange for a peace agreement. Syria walked away because of livni's election day massacre of Palestinians. This is all in the Palestinian Papers which you must have never looked at. That was before 2011 so, as usual, you don't know poo poo.

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp
Speaking of the British, the most vile nation in history, during the holocaust they deliberately starved 3 million Indians to death. They, during WW2, are just as bad as the axis powers.

They are also a colonial power since they control the Malvinas and parts of Ireland.

Also, Tony Blair.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There is no such thing as the Malvinas, the Falklands properly belong to the French by right of first permanent settlement.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah I don't know why America and British imperialism would be at odds with each other since if anything they seemed to have flowed to some extent into each other after ww2.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

None of those organisations still exist.

This is both wrong (unless you think that the British empire and modern day Britain have nothing to do with each other) and irrelevant to what I was responding to, which is that:

IAMKOREA posted:

The US military is the greatest force of evil this world has ever known
Whether or not Nazi Germany or the Mongols are still around is irrelevant to the argument that they were worse than the U.S.

quote:

None of them are related to this conversation. I highly doubt Saddam killed a million people.
I'm simply applying the same standards that are being used to argue that the United States killed more than three million people in South-East Asia. Since the Iran-Iraq war was the result of Saddam's naked expansionism then I would as easily book up too 800,000 dead at his feet, while the AL-Anfal campaign and gulf war round up the numbers.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 22, 2014

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

Nintendo Kid posted:

There is no such thing as the Malvinas, the Falklands properly belong to the French by right of first permanent settlement.

Only in your fantasies does the Malvianas not belong to continental south America for the Natives of South America. Just as North America belongs to North Americans. It shows that you have a double standard against Latinos if you think that British can just claim parts of Argentina to extract the natural resources of that nation.

You have always been on the wrong side of history in the middle east and now in Latin America.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GuyinCognito posted:

Only in your fantasies does the Malvianas not belong to continental south America for the Natives of South America. Just as North America belongs to North Americans. It shows that you have a double standard against Latinos if you think that British can just claim parts of Argentina to extract the natural resources of that nation.

You have always been on the wrong side of history in the middle east and now in Latin America.

Eh that is dumb, there weren't any people on those Islands. So the Brits/french are the natives. To send them to other countries is basically imperialism for a different power.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Why are you people responding to someone named IAMKOREA who called the korean war the us war aggression against korea

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

GuyinCognito posted:

Only in your fantasies does the Malvianas not belong to continental south America for the Natives of South America.

Uh, you know that excludes most of the Argentinian population don't you?

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp
latinos, like arabs, are a monolitch group in the eyes of the white english speaking world. South America includes the malivnas and it's European powers with deadly weapons that have stolen land and settled their own racist people on latino lands. Just like how the USA still occupies Cuba. At the barrel of a gun.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GuyinCognito posted:

There are no natives of the Falklands prior to European settlement. Quite simply, they were terrible places to live and annoying to get to, so the natives of South America would rarely ever show up to them.

The French unambiguously hold first claim to the islands and it was only Spanish perfidy that led to them taking control of the islands for a time. The only claim Argentina ever held was a descendant of Spanish power in the area, Spanish power that only held them due to armed conquest - and when the English won armed conquest back they gained rightful title.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

GuyinCognito posted:

latinos, like arabs, are a monolitch group in the eyes of the white english speaking world. South America includes the malivnas and it's European powers with deadly weapons that have stolen land and settled their own racist people on latino lands. Just like how the USA still occupies Cuba. At the barrel of a gun.

The first people to inhabit the Falklands were Europeans. I'm sorry, but no natives were massacred in the taking of them. Argentina's primary claim to them is that they're kinda close.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
This thread got real weird real fast.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Adventure Pigeon posted:

The first people to inhabit the Falklands were Europeans. I'm sorry, but no natives were massacred in the taking of them. Argentina's primary claim to them is that they're kinda close.

Nah, their primary claim was that the Spanish owned them, and Argentina of course split off from the Spanish Empire and claimed all nearby Spanish possessions and Spanish possessions that had recently been won by other countries.

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

Nintendo Kid posted:

so the natives of South America would rarely ever show up to them.

So you admit that you where wrong that it was uninhabited. Saying that the British never killed an entire population to steal their land is quite gullible of you. Anyways, please stop derailing the thread with you apologism for modern day colonialism.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It would be more contentious though if there wasn't a population there that wanted to stay with the UK though. Frankly, Argentina is facing far more important issues of modern-day colonialism than those islands like the onerous debt they are being squeezed into being paid back.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah, their primary claim was that the Spanish owned them, and Argentina of course split off from the Spanish Empire and claimed all nearby Spanish possessions and Spanish possessions that had recently been won by other countries.

They weren't exactly calling the Philippines theirs. That the Falklands are sorta close is about the best reason they have. Either way, it's sorta silly. The sad thing was that Britain was gradually working to gradually integrate the Falklands into Argentina until Argentina decided to invade to distract the populace from the problems of the Junta.

Edit: And no GuyInCognito, there's minimal evidence that natives ever reached the Falklands before the Europeans. Europeans are, in fact, the natives. No indigenous people were killed when the Europeans arrived, and now Europeans are the indigenous people.

Adventure Pigeon fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 22, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GuyinCognito posted:

So you admit that you where wrong that it was uninhabited.

Nope. They were uninhabited.

Similarly, highway rest area bathrooms are not inhabited, even though some people may show up from time to time to go into them. I know you can't handle these facts, though.

GuyinCognito posted:

Saying that the British never killed an entire population to steal their land is quite gullible of you.

They absolutely did not do this on the Falklands, they killed Argentinians who tried to steal land, and they killed a few Spaniards and French several hundred years ago.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Can we talk about the Middle East instead, instead of this dumb as poo poo multi-page derail full of armchair general nerds who haven't got the foggiest idea what the feck they are talking about.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The clear solution is to give the Falklands to ISIS.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Can we talk about the Middle East instead, instead of this dumb as poo poo multi-page derail full of armchair general nerds who haven't got the foggiest idea what the feck they are talking about.

First we have to earnestly debate the guy who thinks the use of Agent Orange in Vietnam is the worst crime in the history of mankind.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

GuyinCognito posted:

Syria and Israel where hashing out a peace deal which would entail stealing more water from the west bank and giving the Golan back to Syria in exchange for a peace agreement. Syria walked away because of livni's election day massacre of Palestinians. This is all in the Palestinian Papers which you must have never looked at. That was before 2011 so, as usual, you don't know poo poo.

I knew about those negotiations. I was referring to the government's public stances on this as presented to the populace as a distraction from their own internal issues, not the state's private diplomatic dealings.

And also, I'd still love to hear about the US supporting IS.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

New Division posted:

Give the Shia militia some credit here. They've been forcing the Sunnis out of Baghdad for years!

That's interesting. Do you have any source for Sunnis being pushed out of Baghdad in general?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Re: Stealth helicopters, I'd bet money that it was a HALO jump, and people on the ground just thought they came from helicopters, and helicopters came not long later for support and extraction. To silently get enough SFOD-D guys on the ground to overrun a prison? That's the way it normally goes when you have to fly over enemy territory and could be spotted anywhere, giving people a heads up Drop em from so high no one has any idea.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Oh my loving God if you think the British empire is irrelevant in THE MIDDLE EAST THREAD then I don't even know what to say. Surely this exposes you as blatantly trolling at this point.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

Torka posted:

So you guys, I heard there was some poo poo going down in the middle east right now.

I've heard rumours of this as well.

In an attempt to get back on topic, here's VICE News latest dispatch from Iraq, interviewing Peshmerga-fighters near the Mosul Dam:
http://youtu.be/ntOAW9DLBTE

Apparently, ISIS also suffered heavy casualties trying to take the last stronghold of the Assad regime in the Raqqa-region, the Tabaqa airfield, looks like the regime is holding out so far. Can't believe it's come to the point where I'm rooting for the regime, when up against ISIS.

Also, Iran has offered to step up their help fighting ISIS if nuclear sanctions are lifted. Here's the source:
http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-offers-help-with-isis-if-us-lifts-nuclear-sanctions-2014-8

Rooting for the regime in Raqqa and watching Iran and the US become de-facto allies. What a mess :(

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Goon logic: America is responsible for death and destruction. ISIS is responsible for death and destruction. Conclusion: America = ISIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Human Rights Watch's video on the August 21st attacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilanR5_YeEo

• Locked thread