Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

NowonSA posted:

Indeed, that was me! I wanted him to fight one though, not date one!

They are a fine complement to one another though, stat wise, and I believe she's the only high luck character we've seen so far, which doesn't make too much sense when you have the bad luck to have an unbreakable curse.

As long as there's some Soul Recovery during the date I'll be happy. I don't think I can respect a guy who has a way to ease his date's curse and ignores it entirely to take her on a Ferris Wheel or something instead.

On the other hand, she was lucky enough to meet someone who could theoretically break her curse through sheer grinding. Luck's weird that way, in that you can never be too sure whether luck has any effect at all, other than a chain reaction of improbable events that work in your favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Maybe a high luck doesn't mean high GOOD Luck, just a heightened likelihood of improbable events occurring around you for better or worse. For every winning lottery ticket, you have that time you ran into Marcellus Wallace right when you got away clean.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
personally i'm hoping they go the Dark Souls route and the curse is an entity unto itself

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Silynt posted:

Maybe a high luck doesn't mean high GOOD Luck, just a heightened likelihood of improbable events occurring around you for better or worse. For every winning lottery ticket, you have that time you ran into Marcellus Wallace right when you got away clean.

To be fair, running into Marcellus Wallace worked out well for Butch in the end

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Silynt posted:

This kind of has to be the case othervise anyone with low luck would be lancer from any of the fate/stay night stories.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
New chapter!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I kind of like how he doesn't act like a total fool during the date.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That's kinda adorable :3

At least she wont think less of him since he's a massive gamer.

Or she might turn out to be That Person. You know the one. The first one to be Max level in an MMO.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
New skill is amazing, and is probably going to save Jee-Han's rear end more than once. Favourite part comes just a little before it though.

"The internet. The sea of knowledge."

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The date so far is totally :3:.

Well except the part with Detect Bloodlust. That part was hilarious.

Given she's probably been bedridden or at least house-bound for a long time, no wonder she surfs the internet. Hope she plays MMOs for ultimate gaming couple.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I hope when he breaks her curse, she has the powers of a munchkin. Someone who can see holes in a system and break it over their knee.

Too bad that would scale his power into super boring god mode too fast :v:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

I love that Jee-Han is constantly getting lost in thought and ignoring people after raising his intelligence.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

If the new skill continues to level up so quickly, it will be maxed in no time :v:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
He can do the ultimate grinding now: Go out a date with mana shield and gnome active, while wearing weighted clothes, holding hands with his date and doing constant soul recovery while her dad watches and levels his bloodthirst detection.

Very cute date so far. My favorite bit has to be when she obediently gives him her hand like a puppy for some healing. Bloodthirsty necromancer-dad is a close second.

I wonder if he'll get into trouble later for being so public and honest about his gamer ability? Not necessarily for telling his date about it, but he really hasn't kept it a secret with anyone so far, and with how varied abilities seem to be knowing the nature of someone's ability seems very useful.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
The most important issue obviously is what the sunglasses dad is standing on. I can see huge pillars wider than a person being a part of an Evil Lair's decor, but not downtown even if it's Korea. They're not visible in any of the other pictures of the town either! Clearly this is a hint to the secret of his ability.

Or I should repeat to myself it's just a comic and I should really just relax.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

SystemLogoff posted:

I hope when he breaks her curse, she has the powers of a munchkin. Someone who can see holes in a system and break it over their knee.

Too bad that would scale his power into super boring god mode too fast :v:

She could become his new mount.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm 100% sure him telling the girl about his ability is going to come back and bite him in the rear end later down the line.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Mikl posted:

I'm 100% sure him telling the girl about his ability is going to come back and bite him in the rear end later down the line.

Men tell things they shouldn't to women in the hopes of impressing them. News at 11.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mikl posted:

He's going to tell her. She's going to tell her father the specifics. Her father is going to kidnap him and force him to grind forever until it can cure his daughter.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

KittyEmpress posted:

He's going to tell her. She's going to tell her father the specifics. Her father is going to kidnap him and force him to grind forever until it can cure his daughter.

You know if that bought him protection from the actual dangerous people it might not be such a bad deal.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I feel like he's going to be grinding to a cure anyway though. Wouldn't it be more expedient for the father to just bribe Jee-han with teleport magics or otherwise convince him to make finding a cure his #1 and only short-term priority, rather than kidnap him? ^^^Also good point, bribe him with protection after the evil guys come after him and the dad manages to save him in the nick of time.

Also, keep in mind that we know the ins and outs of his ability, but so far only the martial arts clan knows the specifics. It could well be that the next page is him laying out all the details of how his ability works in proper Goon fashion, but I'd be surprised if it went that way. He'll probably tell her a bit about his ability, but not too much.

Like I said earlier, I fully expect the news of his ability to get out and for it to really screw him over, I just don't think it'll result from him telling his date.

At this point he's got 2 or 3 danger senses, he always stays calm, and he's farmed up a super forcefield, a summon, mana binding/arrows, etc. Unless he's taken completely by surprise (which seems like the most likely way he'd be captured) or is spontaneously exposed to a toxic or sleeping gas I feel like he can at least make his capture or defeat very difficult. I am itching to see him in a proper high-stakes pvp fight now though, with so many abilities and stats grinded it's time for some action!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
He's going to explain his ability, she'll turn out to be a hardcore mmo player who thinks he's awesome and everyone will be happy. Until she gets home and excitedly tells her father he spent the entire date grinding on her after promising it would cure her curse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Verizian posted:

He's going to explain his ability, she'll turn out to be a hardcore mmo player who thinks he's awesome and everyone will be happy. Until she gets home and excitedly tells her father he spent the entire date grinding on her after promising it would cure her curse.
Best scenario

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Verizian posted:

Unfortunately I don't think the wordplay would work in Korean.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I want Glasses Dad standing on the tallest thing in the area to be a thing. If they're on a farm, he's standing on a tractor. On a plain, a nearby rock. In a restaurant, he stands on a table.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I want Glasses Dad standing on the tallest thing in the area to be a thing. If they're on a farm, he's standing on a tractor. On a plain, a nearby rock. In a restaurant, he stands on a table.

I would be so happy to see that become a gag in this series.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Obviously the next instance of glasses dad will be when he accepts Jee-han is dating is daughter and goes to give his blessing right when Jee-han is in the middle of another date with another girl

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

So he's part meerkat? Sure.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This was a very good chapter and I laughed a lot. It's very good to see that the comic can be entertaining doing things other than exploring an interesting power set.

Also, this sick girl is very endearing. The internet. The sea of knowledge.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If she's so wise, why does she believe what she'd just read on the internet so wholeheartedly?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

DrSunshine posted:

If she's so wise, why does she believe what she'd just read on the internet so wholeheartedly?

Maybe it was properly researched and cited.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DrSunshine posted:

To be fair it's not wrong and given all the shady date advice the internet can dispense her actions show remarkable wisdom.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

What, he can't get up on top of one of these? (I'm thinking specifically of the Iowa/Oregon ones on the wiki page. But I guess those might not be Korean style ones. They probably aren't.)

DrSunshine posted:

Well her wisdom has gone down, since we last saw her stat window.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kgummy posted:

What, he can't get up on top of one of these? (I'm thinking specifically of the Iowa/Oregon ones on the wiki page. But I guess those might not be Korean style ones. They probably aren't.)

I imagine he can climb any object which allows him to loom ominously.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's really quite simple -- he was standing atop an extremely tall, white, cylindrical pole, that just so happened to be attached to the sidewalk somewhere in Korea.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

NowonSA posted:

Bloodthirsty necromancer-dad is a close second.

For just a second I thought she was the one who was bloodthirsty and angry with him.

When the reveal happened it was so much better than my expectation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I for one am glad he's not keeping his powers a secret from people he intends to be close to. It's an annoying cliche in these sorts of things where the protagonist has to hide everything from even his friends, for some reason. I mean, yeah, there are logical reasons if you're paranoid, or maybe you even have a reason to be paranoid, but it's still an annoying cliche I would like to avoid.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

I imagine he can climb any object which allows him to loom ominously.
Then you're saying he'd find a way to get a tractor on top of it?

(Since there's no way that a tractor would be taller than that.)

...The image of him getting a tractor up there, just because he noticed it after standing on said tractor is kind of hilarious, though.

As is him standing on the cash register in the shaved ice place. Alas, we don't see that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kgummy posted:

Then you're saying he'd find a way to get a tractor on top of it?

(Since there's no way that a tractor would be taller than that.)

...The image of him getting a tractor up there, just because he noticed it after standing on said tractor is kind of hilarious, though.

As is him standing on the cash register in the shaved ice place. Alas, we don't see that.

I actually didn't consider every single object that could be on a farm but I would also be quite happy with him stacking objects in order to stand that much higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

I actually didn't consider every single object that could be on a farm but I would also be quite happy with him stacking objects in order to stand that much higher

How has this never been a gag before? Especially because it is such a huge cliche.

The stacking occurs when he runs into a mysterious figure who does the same thing and in the ensuing stacking wars the protagonist slips away unnoticed.