Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Health insurance can kind of suck:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SiGmA_X posted:

Yep. You're surprised that you're getting exactly what you signed up for why? I hope you're at least using your HSA.

Eh, I signed up for it because I race motorcycles and I wanted to make sure I'd be covered in the case that I leave a track in a chopper. I forgot which plan I'd signed up for because there was a huge clusterfuck of needing coverage in the span of two weeks. My mistake, time to actually READ ABOUT THIS poo poo and make an informed decision.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 8, 2014

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm moving in a few weeks, leaving my car at my parents, and going to start taking the bus. Currently have basic car insurance through Geico but was wondering if I could pay less for insurance if I'm only planning on driving the car a few thousand miles a year (If even).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Busy Bee posted:

I'm moving in a few weeks, leaving my car at my parents, and going to start taking the bus. Currently have basic car insurance through Geico but was wondering if I could pay less for insurance if I'm only planning on driving the car a few thousand miles a year (If even).

Depends on where you are, really. Its usually a good idea to keep SOME kind of insurance, even if you're barely driving. I'd even look at a named non-owners if your car is being left far away. I'd talk to a local agent or even GEICO to see what they can offer.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

The effect low amounts of driving have on your insurance is, in my experience, very little.

I think it discounted mine $20-$30 every six months.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
This past Friday I was doored while on my bicycle. The end result is that I broke my collarbone and my month old bike is a variety of hosed (somewhere between "partially" and "completely").

Thankfully I have health insurance and the driver has car insurance. There is a police report of the accident, although the driver was not issued a citation. I ended up with the whole shebang - ambulance ride to the ER, everything.

I've already called my health insurance company to let them know that another party is at fault, but they said they couldn't do anything until the driver filed a claim on their auto insurance. It's entirely possible that I did no visible or structural damage to the car. Is not contacting the other party's insurance in a situation like this standard procedure? From what I know about insurance companies it seems like they'd want to recoup the cost of treatment from another party if possible.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

This past Friday I was doored while on my bicycle. The end result is that I broke my collarbone and my month old bike is a variety of hosed (somewhere between "partially" and "completely").

Thankfully I have health insurance and the driver has car insurance. There is a police report of the accident, although the driver was not issued a citation. I ended up with the whole shebang - ambulance ride to the ER, everything.

I've already called my health insurance company to let them know that another party is at fault, but they said they couldn't do anything until the driver filed a claim on their auto insurance. It's entirely possible that I did no visible or structural damage to the car. Is not contacting the other party's insurance in a situation like this standard procedure? From what I know about insurance companies it seems like they'd want to recoup the cost of treatment from another party if possible.

You should contact their auto insurance ASAP. Be proactive about it and it will be nbd.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SiGmA_X posted:

You should contact their auto insurance ASAP. Be proactive about it and it will be nbd.

And document everything like you have been.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Do you have any auto insurance with medical coverage? Because the other guy's insurance carrier will unlikely pay for any of your medical bills during treatment. They will review all records/bills and settle directly with you when you are ready. If you have med pay/pip on an auto policy, that coverage pays as you treat.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Do you have any auto insurance with medical coverage? Because the other guy's insurance carrier will unlikely pay for any of your medical bills during treatment. They will review all records/bills and settle directly with you when you are ready. If you have med pay/pip on an auto policy, that coverage pays as you treat.

I was a bit unwary going down this road yet. If you have PiP/Medical on YOUR Policy, yes it'll cover. But you're going to want to make the other guys insurance pay if you can help it. It'll save you from having a Medical claim on YOUR coverage. Don't go to your company for payment unless you absolutely have to.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Jastiger posted:

I was a bit unwary going down this road yet. If you have PiP/Medical on YOUR Policy, yes it'll cover. But you're going to want to make the other guys insurance pay if you can help it. It'll save you from having a Medical claim on YOUR coverage. Don't go to your company for payment unless you absolutely have to.

Wouldn't involving his insurance company make him whole and then his insurance goes after the driver's insurance for reimbursement?

Or is it different for a bicycle+car accident than a car+car accident?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wickerman posted:

Wouldn't involving his insurance company make him whole and then his insurance goes after the driver's insurance for reimbursement?

Or is it different for a bicycle+car accident than a car+car accident?

Medical its a bit more up in the air. The other coverages are liability, which will pay out only if someone else is liable, and thus assignable damages in court. Its money that can be recouped through that process.

PIP/Medical is often regardless of fault, a payout that is going to happen no matter who is at fault, so its just a claim that is paid out. If someone else is LIABLE for causing medical injury, then you're better off going after that liable party instead of just taking the payout from the insurance company. They'll make him whole, but it'll count as a claim for him whereas going after their insurance will have them making a payout with no flat payout.

I'm sure in some instances a company COULD go after the other party for a medical payout, but...they'd just assign that under liability and the medical amounts are generally small enough a company is just gonna pay out and forget about it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm shopping around for new homeowners insurance I have a question on how much my dwelling coverage should be.

Bought a home in 2011 for $400k. Dwelling coverage was $365k, land was worth about $70. House today is worth no more than $550k now. We'll probably be in this house for another decade at least.

I got a quote from one company who want to insure the dwelling at $621k which seems a little high since land is still worth at least $80k which means they're valuing the house at $700k. Can I bring that number down some? Where should I be targeting my dwelling coverage at?

EDIT: I understand now that coverage is based on rebuilt cost and not house value but that just makes it seem even higher than it needs to be.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 12, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FCKGW posted:

I'm shopping around for new homeowners insurance I have a question on how much my dwelling coverage should be.

Bought a home in 2011 for $400k. Dwelling coverage was $365k, land was worth about $70. House today is worth no more than $550k now. We'll probably be in this house for another decade at least.

I got a quote from one company who want to insure the dwelling at $621k which seems a little high since land is still worth at least $80k which means they're valuing the house at $700k. Can I bring that number down some? Where should I be targeting my dwelling coverage at?

EDIT: I understand now that coverage is based on rebuilt cost and not house value but that just makes it seem even higher than it needs to be.

Re-read the part in the OP ab out co-insurance and trying to go under what the company says its worth.

Rebuild is almost always going to be more than the resale value of the house because you have to take into consideration that there is debris removal, the house isn't on a nice flat piece of land to build on anymore, material cost, labor costs always go up, and any changes to construction methods.

That honestly sounds about right for what you're telling me, unfortunate it may be.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Re-read the part in the OP ab out co-insurance and trying to go under what the company says its worth.

Rebuild is almost always going to be more than the resale value of the house because you have to take into consideration that there is debris removal, the house isn't on a nice flat piece of land to build on anymore, material cost, labor costs always go up, and any changes to construction methods.

That honestly sounds about right for what you're telling me, unfortunate it may be.

Thanks for your help. It's only about $200/yr to bump up to that level of coverage so I'm not too worried about it. I'd rather be at the right level of coverage than under insured. If I'm combining my Auto I'll end up saving money regardless.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

Yeah, I'll agree with this. I just know from daily experience that people don't realize the other guy's insurance is not going to pay up front, unless they are trying to weasel out of paying more in the future. They also aren't required to pay the medical providers 100% of what they charge the injured party or anything really. So if the injured party has to pay a ton out of pocket, there's no guarantee the liable insurance company will reimburse that fully.

And depending on the state, some forbid insurance carriers from going after the other carrier for medical payments.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Odd question: what are the best insurance-related songs? Preferably classic rock-ish, SFW.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
Accident question.
Five way intersection, wife was 90% through intersection, car at other stop sign proceeds to go and turn in front of her. Collision happens, police show up, issue citation to other driver for failure to yield. No citation to wife, other drivers insurance is refusing to pay anything over %50 of damages. Car in question is a 2004 cavalier, adjuster said $3200 in damages(car is a loss), there insurance is offering 50% of that. Is it worth fighting this? This is in Ohio.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Csixtyfour posted:

Accident question.
Five way intersection, wife was 90% through intersection, car at other stop sign proceeds to go and turn in front of her. Collision happens, police show up, issue citation to other driver for failure to yield. No citation to wife, other drivers insurance is refusing to pay anything over %50 of damages. Car in question is a 2004 cavalier, adjuster said $3200 in damages(car is a loss), there insurance is offering 50% of that. Is it worth fighting this? This is in Ohio.

Have they explained why they're assigning your wife liability? You're probably going to want to at least talk to a lawyer. And your insurance.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Csixtyfour posted:

Accident question.

With just what you've posted that liability sounds like horseshit. Ask for a full explanation and make sure they've seen the police report. If you have collision on your own policy use that; let you carrier fight it in arbitration. Better to be out your deductible than 50%.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Have they explained why they're assigning your wife liability? You're probably going to want to at least talk to a lawyer. And your insurance.
They said "With out a witness, we can not determine liability on a police report and pictures alone". Our insurance agent per my wife "Let out a long sigh, upon telling him who insured the other driver"

LongDarkNight posted:

With just what you've posted that liability sounds like horseshit. Ask for a full explanation and make sure they've seen the police report. If you have collision on your own policy use that; let you carrier fight it in arbitration. Better to be out your deductible than 50%.
See above, just had liability on the car. Our insurance agent is being very nice, but being very quiet about what we should do.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Csixtyfour posted:

See above, just had liability on the car. Our insurance agent is being very nice, but being very quiet about what we should do.

Sorry, I missed that.

quote:

They said "With out a witness, we can not determine liability on a police report and pictures alone". Our insurance agent per my wife "Let out a long sigh, upon telling him who insured the other driver"

Which is crap because they were able to determine liability 50/50. Out of professional curiosity did they use the phrase "word versus word"? As far as options go, unless your wife is making a bodily injury claim an attorney probably won't take your case, no money in property damage that small. Your other option is to make a Department of Insurance complaint about their claim handling and investigations.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

Sorry, I missed that.

Which is crap because they were able to determine liability 50/50. Out of professional curiosity did they use the phrase "word versus word"? As far as options go, unless your wife is making a bodily injury claim an attorney probably won't take your case, no money in property damage that small. Your other option is to make a Department of Insurance complaint about their claim handling and investigations.

That's what kills me, we are not head hunting, just want fair value on the car. Wife is a little sore, but hell 20mph to 0mph, that happens. Lawyer friend of a friend of mine:

Ohio law 4511.36 Rules for turns at intersections.

(2) At any intersection where traffic is permitted to move in both directions on each roadway entering the intersection, an approach for a left turn shall be made in that portion of the right half of the roadway nearest the center line thereof and by passing to the right of such center line where it enters the intersection and after entering the intersection the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection to the right of the center line of the roadway being entered. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be made in that portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the intersection.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Csixtyfour posted:

That's what kills me, we are not head hunting, just want fair value on the car. Wife is a little sore, but hell 20mph to 0mph, that happens. Lawyer friend of a friend of mine:

Ohio law 4511.36 Rules for turns at intersections.

(2) At any intersection where traffic is permitted to move in both directions on each roadway entering the intersection, an approach for a left turn shall be made in that portion of the right half of the roadway nearest the center line thereof and by passing to the right of such center line where it enters the intersection and after entering the intersection the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection to the right of the center line of the roadway being entered. Whenever practicable the left turn shall be made in that portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the intersection.

Lol how is that 50% liability if he's over the center line, effectively in her lane if he's car #2? That is some bullshit.

Why did your wife not go to the hospital? I'd make a claim against their bodily liability at this point or at least threaten to. It sounds like they are just trying to weasel their way out of this as discount insurance is wont to do.

There really isn't much you can do other than threaten further litigation and threaten to file a complain with the DoI. Your insurance company does NOT cover your own car since you voluntarily chose to drive without collision/comprehensive insurance coverage. You are entirely at the mercy of their insurance company. (Get full coverage if you can afford it always)

If you go to small claims court, you have a knock out case though, and they have to know they will lose such a case. I can't see them holding out much more than that, especially if you have a police report.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If you have collision coverage just have your insurance fix it and they'll fight it out with the other company. Chances are both companies are members of intercompany arbitration and they'll each present their case and the arbitrators will make a binding decision.

I used to work in claims and have my own list of sigh inducing companies. Which one are you fighting with?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

My guess is that they know you only have liability coverage so you are stuck. Either get 50% back or get nothing. Its not exactly word vs word because there's a police report. While a police report does not determine liability on an insurance claim, you can't just ignore it either. I wonder what their driver is telling them.

I think you're kinda hosed because your insurance carrier can't do anything since you had no collision coverage. Even if you could get an attorney, it probably won't matter.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

My guess is that they know you only have liability coverage so you are stuck. Either get 50% back or get nothing. Its not exactly word vs word because there's a police report. While a police report does not determine liability on an insurance claim, you can't just ignore it either. I wonder what their driver is telling them.

I think you're kinda hosed because your insurance carrier can't do anything since you had no collision coverage. Even if you could get an attorney, it probably won't matter.
Even if the OP is not willing to put a lot of work into this, he could possibly do better than 50%.

You're allowed to negotiate this kind of thing. You're also allowed to file small claims suits, or file complaints with the state insurance commissioner. It largely comes down to how much of your time is a chance at more money worth?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have to ask, why did you NOT have Comp/Collision on a 2004 car? Which company do YOU have and which company do THEY have?

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

Even if the OP is not willing to put a lot of work into this, he could possibly do better than 50%.

You're allowed to negotiate this kind of thing. You're also allowed to file small claims suits, or file complaints with the state insurance commissioner. It largely comes down to how much of your time is a chance at more money worth?

Oh, I'm not saying he has no options. But he's got almost no leverage. If he files suit, I'm thinking he can't accept anything from the other carrier, right? Otherwise, he has agreed to the liability. The claim drags out. Meanwhile he has a junked vehicle and got paid nothing.

I think the complaint to the dept of insurance is the best option or at least a threat of it. Insurance carriers hate that. He still may get nothing but maybe the threat of a complaint might get them to accept more liability.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Oh, I'm not saying he has no options. But he's got almost no leverage. If he files suit, I'm thinking he can't accept anything from the other carrier, right? Otherwise, he has agreed to the liability. The claim drags out. Meanwhile he has a junked vehicle and got paid nothing.

I think the complaint to the dept of insurance is the best option or at least a threat of it. Insurance carriers hate that. He still may get nothing but maybe the threat of a complaint might get them to accept more liability.

Some states entitle you to damage multipliers in cases where insurance companies aren't paying out as much as they're supposed to. A few states even actually use them.

IANAL, or an insurance agent, but if they're offering 50% to start, my inclination would be to say it's unlikely to go down any lower than that. Who knows, though? Ohio may have really lovely insurance laws.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Jastiger posted:

I have to ask, why did you NOT have Comp/Collision on a 2004 car? Which company do YOU have and which company do THEY have?

I am guessing you have never been to state where it snows and use salt on the road? 10 years of salt on a budget GM car tend to eat rockers,fenders, and doors. Car was on its way off to never never land after this winter. More of the normal thinking in Ohio, why put collision on $1500 car. We should find out Monday what there finally offer is. Promise I am not lazy, just more of a time vs money, we have all ready wasted hours on the phone and hours with the adjuster over a beater car. If it was a new car, it would be easy, lawyer up and court we shall go.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Csixtyfour posted:

I am guessing you have never been to state where it snows and use salt on the road? 10 years of salt on a budget GM car tend to eat rockers,fenders, and doors. Car was on its way off to never never land after this winter. More of the normal thinking in Ohio, why put collision on $1500 car. We should find out Monday what there finally offer is. Promise I am not lazy, just more of a time vs money, we have all ready wasted hours on the phone and hours with the adjuster over a beater car. If it was a new car, it would be easy, lawyer up and court we shall go.

I live in the Midwest and I hear your point. But its a 2004...is it really only worth $1500? That was my point. If the vehicle is nice enough to be worried about totalling it out, you ought to have comp and collision on it.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Jastiger posted:

I live in the Midwest and I hear your point. But its a 2004...is it really only worth $1500? That was my point. If the vehicle is nice enough to be worried about totalling it out, you ought to have comp and collision on it.

Was a base model 5 speed caviler, with no options, with a few dings and rusting away. I am not worried about it, think my original question got lost in the mix. Original question was more ment to be, "hey I think this insurance company is loving me, this sound fishy?"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Csixtyfour posted:

Was a base model 5 speed caviler, with no options, with a few dings and rusting away. I am not worried about it, think my original question got lost in the mix. Original question was more ment to be, "hey I think this insurance company is loving me, this sound fishy?"

The answer was, yes they are, and there isn't much you can do about it without an authoritative case against hte other driver and their company, which would likely cost more than what you're going to get out of any settlement.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jastiger posted:

The answer was, yes they are, and there isn't much you can do about it without an authoritative case against hte other driver and their company, which would likely cost more than what you're going to get out of any settlement.
Except the other company has to pay for all legal fees... I would file a complaint with the Insurance board in Oregon, if this happened to me. They're pretty proactive on your behalf.

Also, if you don't carry full coverage, you basically are self-insuring the value of the vehicle, so you should not be in a pinch if you get wrecked. I use to not carry full coverage, and simply had cash sitting aside to replace my vehicles with in the event something happened. These days, now that I am not as young and have affordable full coverage rates, I pay for full coverage. And with 3 freak accidents behind me this year so far, I am drat glad I have full coverage...

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Luckily when I got rear ended by a guy I only had liablity but USAA admitted it was his fault (after he blabbed to me, the officer, and probably his mother and the insurance company that it was his fault) and gave me a payout that was worth more (in my estimation at least) than what I could've gotten selling the car on craigslist

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Just to wrap up my case via the thread. Went and talked to lawyer, he was very straight forward and realistic. We could get more, but at the end of the day after paying him we are chasing $400 to maybe $1000. Lawyer was cool, basically he said what you guys said, do not just have liability. Lesson learned, the offending party was Encompass insurance. Lawyer did the same as my insurance agent and sighed when I let Encompass name out. So since Allstate owns Encompass, Ill be moving my homeowners insurance next week from Allstate to anything but them. All things considered, was a good learning experience on how shady insurance company's work.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Csixtyfour posted:

Just to wrap up my case via the thread. Went and talked to lawyer, he was very straight forward and realistic. We could get more, but at the end of the day after paying him we are chasing $400 to maybe $1000. Lawyer was cool, basically he said what you guys said, do not just have liability. Lesson learned, the offending party was Encompass insurance. Lawyer did the same as my insurance agent and sighed when I let Encompass name out. So since Allstate owns Encompass, Ill be moving my homeowners insurance next week from Allstate to anything but them. All things considered, was a good learning experience on how shady insurance company's work.

Sorry to hear it was a raw deal. To be fair, Allstate is probably not bad if you get ALLSTATE. But there is a reason Allstate is separate from Encompass. They offer lower rates in exchange for crappier service.
If you pay the premium for the better company, you tend to get the better experience. You're a member with Allstate, a customer with Encompass.

I know this sound all lovey dovey silver lining stuff, but its true. The loss ratios are different for different companies so they can expect to pay out more/defend better for the higher end client.

Edit: I mean whats better a guy paying $50 a month and then leaving after a year, or someone paying $40 a month but staying forever even after a loss since you treated them so well?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have an insurance question!

Background:

I've been with Allstate for 10 years now (homeowners and auto) and shop each year before renewals. Here's what I find every time I shop for lower rates:

Allstate's auto rates are reasonably in line with mainline insurers
Mainline insurers auto rates are consistently 2x Geico, Progressive, or Encompass
Allstate's homeowners rates are consistently 25% less than anyone else
Switching my auto insurance from Allstate means I lose my 40% multi-policy discount with Allstate

So the net is that I end up staying with Allstate because switching or splitting policies would result in no change in rates and/or cost more.

My question:

Is this common? Before I had Allstate, I would switch insurers every couple of years because there would be a significant savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I cancelled my Allstate renters and switched to Progressive because Allstate's coverages were stupid. For example, if someone robbed you and then burned your place down, you wouldn't be covered.

Additionally, apparently loss by nuclear fire is covered but not loss due to radiation. Who knew?