Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Aredna posted:

Uhh, look for a HSBC branch in Tokyo

Phones only just charged! Giving it a try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you ever do get money out, don't follow the flashy lights down alleys full of guys in suits with obvious back tattoos.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Aredna posted:

Nevermind about the branch. Contact info page says they have foreigners and don't support overseas accounts: http://www.hsbc.co.jp/1/2/tky2/about/contact-us

But I found this assuming you have a UK account: http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/popups/textphone-numbers

From outside the UK, please call us on
+44 1792 494 394
Lines open 24 hours.

First hit on Google for: hsbc international contact number for UK account

Going to the branch by Tokyo station, they should at least let me call their colleagues for free.

Problem with the calling is the sim I have doesn't let me make calls.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So, for those who told me not to bring cash and to just rely on ATMs. I'm bringing cash. And I'm letting my bank know where I will be and when. :colbert:

I'm really sorry you are having a rough of of things FP. But it's going to be okay soon and then you will have a super awesome time!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Going to the branch by Tokyo station, they should at least let me call their colleagues for free.

Problem with the calling is the sim I have doesn't let me make calls.

Not even through VoIP? It was previously suggested you can use Skype or Line to make phone calls.

Waltzing Along posted:

So, for those who told me not to bring cash and to just rely on ATMs. I'm bringing cash. And I'm letting my bank know where I will be and when. :colbert:

I'm really sorry you are having a rough of of things FP. But it's going to be okay soon and then you will have a super awesome time!

When people say not to bring cash they mean don't bring wads of Benjamins. I suppose it's common sense for people that travel a lot that you should always have at least a little cash on your person for emergencies. I apologize for not making that clear in previous posts.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

gently caress SAKE! No HSBC banking branches in Japan.

I basically have to now hope that my hotel will let me make an international call before I pay for my room.

How loving hard is it to let some one use a phone?!

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 22, 2014

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

I am enjoying this turn of events thoroughly :allears:

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Use skype.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Going back to the hotel to use their wifi to download Skype.
gently caress!

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
So me and my wife are going to japan for a short trip in the start of September. Specifically kyoto and osaka. Any good recommendations for poo poo to see and food to eat. We are gonna be 2 days each place. I am especially interested in the sengoku era.
In advance thanks.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Paypal me $500 and I will give you 50000 yen right now. My office is right next to your hotel, if you're staying where I think you are.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

vuk83 posted:

So me and my wife are going to japan for a short trip in the start of September. Specifically kyoto and osaka. Any good recommendations for poo poo to see and food to eat. We are gonna be 2 days each place. I am especially interested in the sengoku era.
In advance thanks.

Make sure you have at least a little cash when you fly in so your not wandering around dehydrated for a few hours posting in the internet.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

zmcnulty posted:

Paypal me $500 and I will give you 50000 yen right now. My office is right next to your hotel, if you're staying where I think you are.

It's the APA hotel in Nihonbashi. I'm not just going to send you money. Just got to wait another loving hour for my bank to open.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Waltzing Along posted:

When people say not to bring cash they mean don't bring wads of Benjamins. I suppose it's common sense for people that travel a lot that you should always have at least a little cash on your person for emergencies. I apologize for not making that clear in previous posts.

Hey Waltz, please be careful. You can dick around Japan , but do be careful about your detour to Bangkok.

Normally we all talk about how easy and convenient Bangkok is for tourists. But I'm not so sure anymore.

Thailand is not violent or anything, but just a lot more developing country vibe. Which in turn means a few more things you have to beware. Maybe you should sign up as a tour group for extra safety and convenience. I'm legitimately worried about you travelling solo. No more dead goons :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It's the APA hotel in Nihonbashi. I'm not just going to send you money. Just got to wait another loving hour for my bank to open.

zmc is legit, and his offer is actually pretty nice. Don't be so loving defensive and be a jerk about it.

I'm sure he can walk down from his office, say hello and then take out the smart phone for pay pal transfers.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
I met a traveler who lost all their poo poo in Thailand (bag stolen on the beach) and they got someone back home to Western Union money over in like a day so if wost comes to worst, that's an option. I'm sure everything will work itself out when you can get in touch with the bank though.

Or this, if you trust goons.

zmcnulty posted:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

vuk83 posted:

In advance thanks.

This has probably been discussed to death. You can read some past posts or do some research on your own. Present your itinerary and maybe get a much better response than "where's a good place to go eat!". :effort:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Well I am in meetings from now until 6:30 anyway, so it will be well after his bank is open. I will check this thread again for the play-by-play.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

"where's a good place to go eat!"

Yoshinoya

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Madd0g11 posted:

Yoshinoya

It's tasty :shobon:

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Madd0g11 posted:

Yoshinoya

Beef bowls all day every day.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Madd0g11 posted:

Yoshinoya

It's also a good option if you are low on cash.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Ganguro King posted:

It's also a good option if you are low on cash.

How much beef bowl does 15 hk$ get you?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Crudus posted:

How much beef bowl does 15 hk$ get you?

About a third. I wonder if you could find a homeless person to split it with.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
radium :argh:

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
So did you get the money or die trying

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Site was down again - has Facepalm sold his body for an extra large beef bowl yet?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Going back to the hotel to use their wifi to download Skype.
gently caress!

Name post combination.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

zmc is legit, and his offer is actually pretty nice. Don't be so loving defensive and be a jerk about it.

I'm sure he can walk down from his office, say hello and then take out the smart phone for pay pal transfers.

Yeah, he's good for the money, I'd be more worried about where he'd try to take you afterwards honestly.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Yeah, he's good for the money, I'd be more worried about where he'd try to take you afterwards honestly.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Stringent posted:

His places aren't too bad. You should follow me around for a night.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

gyrobot posted:

On the cosplay community in Japan. How do they handle the cosplay ettique there? I know a lot of Western Anime Convention have throwing posters/propaganda everwhere. But is there as much of a problem with cosplayers having another persons hands on their shoulder/hips?

Cosplay does not equal consent you pervert. Japanese cosplay the people respect the girls and give them space. Don't put your sweaty sausage fingers on the cosplayers.

You can see here. http://imgur.com/a/wVhDJ

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Madd0g11 posted:

Cosplay does not equal consent you pervert. Japanese cosplay the people respect the girls and give them space. Don't put your sweaty sausage fingers on the cosplayers unless your fingers are covered in a fine paste of cheeto leavings. They dig cheeto stains.

FTFY.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah bank put a clamp on the card. Fuckers.

So far I've gone to Roppongi then walked to Shubuya and now I'm in Kabukicho, Shinjuku eating curry udon after a guy suggest I eat pussy instead.

May go to robot restaurant. Thank to the guy who made the Skype suggestion that was perfect along with the fact I could check in. Thanks for the offer of wiring money, it's been a hella stressful day. But it can only get better from here.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Yeah bank put a clamp on the card. Fuckers.

I hit my withdrawal limit on Miyajima Island when I was over there. I feel your pain. I was fortunate in that I'd rented a Japanese cellphone so aside from a $20 international call to get the limit upped, it wasn't so bad (I did remember to tell them I was going overseas though).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Nice nice. Good to see that you are back on your feat. Sleep well tonight!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Nice nice. Good to see that you are back on your feat. Sleep well tonight!

He should've taken Quick Draw for the initiative bonus.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Facepalm ranger please be careful in Bankok. Also everywhere else.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Yeah, wear your helmet at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Facepalm ranger please be careful in Bankok. Also everywhere else.

Yeah I'm pretty loving useless, but ah gotz spunk! :v:

• Locked thread