Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Arsonide posted:

About the best I can do here is check to make sure you're using a vessel that was launched after the contract was accepted, so you can't use a satellite that was just sitting in orbit already. That is my policy with stations as well. Technically you're building it for someone else, but I don't delete the stations when you're done, so you can use them for yourself.

With stations, I don't generate duplicate missions, to further combat mission stacking. With satellite missions I don't check for duplicates, but they can be a lot more varied than station missions, so it isn't really necessary.

It's all good. Doesn't bother me. Just thought you'd like a heads up if you hadn't already realized it (you probably did). :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pun pundit posted:

I definitely have enough fuel for a harder retroburn on my way down, so really steep descent at slower speed may just do it; I've been stuck in a "aerobraking is always best because fuel savings hurr durr" mentality. Thanks!

Hremsfeld; I tried that and it sheared my wings off before the drogue deployed.

Fuel savings are good but intact craft are better.

Like I say you can drop horizontal velocity using the atmosphere but it involves doing a shallow pass, you don't normally aerobrake all in one go if you have a lot of speed to kill.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?

Arsonide posted:

About the best I can do here is check to make sure you're using a vessel that was launched after the contract was accepted, so you can't use a satellite that was just sitting in orbit already. That is my policy with stations as well. Technically you're building it for someone else, but I don't delete the stations when you're done, so you can use them for yourself.

With stations, I don't generate duplicate missions, to further combat mission stacking. With satellite missions I don't check for duplicates, but they can be a lot more varied than station missions, so it isn't really necessary.

What about "deleting" the craft, once the contract is completed? Analogous to a private company taking over control of a sat launched by another company. Could also leave it up, but toggle the ability to focus it, similar to the kerbals created for the rescue missions, but in reverse.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think of them as sponsors, and I'd be really sad if I lost a really cool ship/station. I tend to roll the contracts into my personal play.

At most, maybe the ability to designate a type of module as the sponsor module, that has to conform to a part type. Like, C7 wants to send up an experimental crew cabin. Not something to be "tested," like an engine, but something that has to stay up long enough that it's simpler to roll it all into an easy-to-describe "station" contract. Don't even need to create new parts.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

EpicPhoton posted:

What about "deleting" the craft, once the contract is completed? Analogous to a private company taking over control of a sat launched by another company. Could also leave it up, but toggle the ability to focus it, similar to the kerbals created for the rescue missions, but in reverse.

but then you won't see all the cool stuff you've put up, and you can't borrow someone's space station/satellite for an emergency. Just restrict it so it's a new craft.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The mod list in the OP hasn't been updated since April. Is there a list of "best of" mods that someone who's played a bit and is now coming back after a six month hiatus should download?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Is there a way to change a mission's flag after it launched via the .sfs?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The mod list in the OP hasn't been updated since April. Is there a list of "best of" mods that someone who's played a bit and is now coming back after a six month hiatus should download?

Depends on what you want out of the game. Easier? Harder? Resources? Parts? Mechanics? Resources?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

EpicPhoton posted:

I think the Kerbals aren't "locked" so much as they have had their DiscoveryInfo set to zero. They are basically asteroids that are already tracked. You can see this because they are considered class A objects. This means that when you get near them, they become controllable, and I assume the same would be true of satellites and stations.

It would probably be trivial to code in a lock of some sort, but I'm not sure I'd want to. The contracts are there to encourage you to explore and do new things, and if a player finally gets the motivation and courage to try and put a base on Eeloo, I don't want to take that away from him.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Why don't you set it so you only get one satellite contract at a time, with multiple satellites to launch in it. And then give rewards for each part completed. You could even do cool things like a GPS constellation mission.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Spaced God posted:

Is there a way to change a mission's flag after it launched via the .sfs?

Yeah, you can open up the .sfs in a text editor and search for the mission's name, then find

code:
flag = Squad/Flags/kerbin
and replace it with

code:
flag = SpacedGod/Flags/mycoolflag
on every PART of a VESSEL. I think the flag for a capsule determines what flag you can plant when you go EVA from that capsule. Which suggests you could build a single ship with multiple plantable flags.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Jewcoon posted:

Why don't you set it so you only get one satellite contract at a time, with multiple satellites to launch in it. And then give rewards for each part completed. You could even do cool things like a GPS constellation mission.

Perhaps in the future. Things are complicated enough already. I'm still getting the occasional bug report for this contract, and doing multiple orbits with one satellite isn't a very big issue for me.

Think about it - that means that satellite has a ton of dV, and work was expended to get from orbit to orbit. It's not like station missions where you could stack 4 to land a base on the Mun and then reap all four at exactly the same moment. That was an issue.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Warbird posted:

Depends on what you want out of the game. Easier? Harder? Resources? Parts? Mechanics? Resources?

I don't know. I'm an engineer so I like parts, but I'm pretty flexible.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In case you missed it: There's a bit of a shitstorm happening in the mod community, today. You may want to check back.

But it may be a good time for an update generally. I've been vaguely trying to penetrate the drama from what's been posted here and as of now I have no clue at all what's safe to download, or which mod has had support dropped due to butthurt, etc. As the dust settles it would be nice to get an update.

Here's a rough list of mods I like, but...

Mods I know to be supported and safe to install:
-Karbonite (resource extraction, replaces Kethane)
-SpacePlanePlus (spaceplane parts, Squad's making it stock)

Mods I'm not so sure about :
-Ferram Aerospace (fixes aero physics)
-KAS (although I think a replacement was just mentioned)
-Visual Enhancements (enprettification)
-Mechjeb/Engineer/Protractor/Alarm (interplanetary, delta-vee maths, and such)
-Deadly Reentry (makes things explode due to heat)

That's my list of Cool Things Everyone Should Try, and from there I guess now you go on Curse and look at what's popular? Or something?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't know. I'm an engineer so I like parts, but I'm pretty flexible.

Try Interstellar. That adds a good amount of parts and systems. I'm fairly sure it doesn't have malware on it either.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
FAR has ModStatistics afaik, but you can delete the dll for that safely. KER used to have a dependency on that lovely toolbar, as well as FAR, but both of those have moved to the in-game toolbars now.

Is Firespitter necessary for SP+, and will it be in the .25 update? I'm going to install SP+ preemptively but don't want to include parts that won't be stock in the future.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 22, 2014

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

OwlFancier posted:

Download MKS and attach an extendo tube.

Failing that, the ARM claw helps a lot with docking, consider attaching a big metal truss plate to the side and making a lander with a claw on the bottom to grab the plate, much easier than trying to precision attach something.

Failing that, a long thin truss laid along the floor with a docking port on the end pointing upwards, land your rocket over it and retract your landing legs.

If you grab a ship with a claw it counts as docked? I didn't know this!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EightBit posted:

FAR has ModStatistics afaik, but you can delete the dll for that safely. KER used to have a dependency on that lovely toolbar, as well as FAR, but both of those have moved to the in-game toolbars now.

Is Firespitter necessary for SP+, and will it be in the .25 update? I'm going to install SP+ preemptively but don't want to include parts that won't be stock in the future.

A word of warning, even if SP+ merges all its stuff, it probably won't be backwards compatible with the mod version, unless the internal references to all the parts remain identical.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So far as I know? Seemed to work for me though I haven't tested it exhaustively. But the ships join to my knowledge and you can do transfers so far as I know.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
I've been messing with the space telescope mod recently, I think from DMagic, and it's a bit finnicky to aim at things. I try using alt+inputs to aim really precisely, but I'm running into an issue where it moves in the opposite direction I want it to for a little bit, then it moves in the right direction, almost like it's recoiling. Like, if I want to move just a bit to the left to get Jool in my camera, I hold alt+A and at first it actually moves quite a bit to the right and then only after that does it start going left, and I end up overshooting. It becomes impossible to make tiny adjustments to my heading, which I need to aim at far away celestial bodies.

Anyone know what I can do to make it stop doing that?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

It won't crossfeed fuel, but you can transfer fuel manually across it I think.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Icon Of Sin posted:

It won't crossfeed fuel, but you can transfer fuel manually across it I think.

Unsure about fuel but it sure transfers power. I have a craft saved that is designed to deliver a probe that is basically a small RCS tank, a battery, a claw, and an array of solar panels.

You guys have no idea how many times I forget solar panels or batteries.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Maxmaps posted:

Unsure about fuel but it sure transfers power. I have a craft saved that is designed to deliver a probe that is basically a small RCS tank, a battery, a claw, and an array of solar panels.

You guys have no idea how many times I forget solar panels or batteries.

I don't think fuel will crossfeed, but I can confirm you can manually move over fuel. Towards the end of my career games I often build a scavenger drone to harvest any unspent fuel in orbital debris before putting it on a re entry trajectory.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Is there a mod that has a Rockomax-sized version of this part?

I'm getting ready to make a big station for Karbonite and Station Science stuff and I don't want to use adapters.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Lansdowne posted:

I'm getting ready to make a big station for Karbonite and Station Science stuff and I don't want to use adapters.
TweakScale lets you make it bigger. Or smaller!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lansdowne posted:

I think there is also a large station parts mods that may be called large station parts, but I don't remember, specifically. I'm positive it had the exact part you want, though.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I'll check that out too, but in the meantime, this mod flippin' rules. I made a Nibbler ship for Jeb.

Thanks for the suggestions!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Got another dumb newbie question.

Whenever I install a new mod with a bunch of new objects, I have to go through my upgrade tree and click on each individual object and research them. This sucks when I have 50 new objects to research and every single one I click has a rather useless confirmation box (useless since it doesn't cost anything to research already-researched stuff). Is there some other way to do this?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I made a list of what I'm using at the very moment a page back I think. Here's the copy-paste of the notepad I track my mods in.

If you're too new in mods, look everything up, only grab things that seem important. You don't want to overburden yourself with mods your first time out with them.

*Active Texture Management
*Aligned/Formatted Currency Indicator
*DebRefund
*Distant Object
*Docking Port Alignment
*EditorExtensions
*Enhanced Navball
*EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements + Astronomer's Pack
*Fine Print
*FloorIt
*HotRockets
*Karbonite
*Kerbal Alarm Clock
*Kerbal Engineer
*KerbalJoinReinforcement
*KSP Alternate Resource Panel
*KWRocketry
*MechJeb2
*MK2 Cockpit internal
*NEAR
*RealChute
*RealRoster (Enneract)
*Spaceplane Plus
*StillBetterThanSpyware
*Toolbar

~Needs update
*Vanguard EVA Parachutes (0.23)

~Mods I haven't used before, and might enjoy
-USI Kolonization Systems

~Mods I've used before, but don't think I really need:
-Hooligan Labs Airships (to be fair though, I had a lot of fun with this mod the first time I played with it)
-Infernal Robotics
-Kerbal Attachment System (waiting for someone to remake)
-SCANsat

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 22, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lansdowne posted:

I'll check that out too, but in the meantime, this mod flippin' rules. I made a Nibbler ship for Jeb.

Thanks for the suggestions!

That looks cramped as poo poo, dude :(

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

DaveKap posted:

Got another dumb newbie question.

Whenever I install a new mod with a bunch of new objects, I have to go through my upgrade tree and click on each individual object and research them. This sucks when I have 50 new objects to research and every single one I click has a rather useless confirmation box (useless since it doesn't cost anything to research already-researched stuff). Is there some other way to do this?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78067-0-23-5-Research-Them-All-1-1-(April-30)

Build for 0.24.2 isn't in the OP, it's here:

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/ResearchThemAll/

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Greedish posted:

I've been messing with the space telescope mod recently, I think from DMagic, and it's a bit finnicky to aim at things. I try using alt+inputs to aim really precisely, but I'm running into an issue where it moves in the opposite direction I want it to for a little bit, then it moves in the right direction, almost like it's recoiling. Like, if I want to move just a bit to the left to get Jool in my camera, I hold alt+A and at first it actually moves quite a bit to the right and then only after that does it start going left, and I end up overshooting. It becomes impossible to make tiny adjustments to my heading, which I need to aim at far away celestial bodies.

Anyone know what I can do to make it stop doing that?

This is a thing that happens to me on occasion, I think its an SAS thing but I'm not sure. Usually when it wobbles like that I either have too much mass for the part to deal with (like an asteroid), or for some reason it wonks out. Usually just double tapping the SAS button stops it from doing that.

This is orbital science right? What part is it, because I can make a quick junk thing to lob into space and see if I have any issues.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Better to be wedged in place than tossed around during your 20g re-entry!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

I made a list of what I'm using at the very moment a page back I think. Here's the copy-paste of the notepad I track my mods in.

If you're too new in mods, look everything up, only grab things that seem important. You don't want to overburden yourself with mods your first time out with them.

*Active Texture Management
*Aligned/Formatted Currency Indicator
*DebRefund
*Distant Object
*Docking Port Alignment
*EditorExtensions
*Enhanced Navball
*EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements + Astronomer's Pack
*Fine Print
*FloorIt
*HotRockets
*Karbonite
*Kerbal Alarm Clock
*Kerbal Engineer
*KerbalJoinReinforcement
*KSP Alternate Resource Panel
*KWRocketry
*MechJeb2
*MK2 Cockpit internal
*NEAR
*RealChute
*RealRoster (Enneract)
*Spaceplane Plus
*StillBetterThanSpyware
*Toolbar

~Needs update
*Vanguard EVA Parachutes (0.23)

~Mods I haven't used before, and might enjoy
-USI Kolonization Systems

~Mods I've used before, but don't think I really need:
-Hooligan Labs Airships (to be fair though, I had a lot of fun with this mod the first time I played with it)
-Infernal Robotics
-Kerbal Attachment System (waiting for someone to remake)
-SCANsat

Yeah sorry the Mod OP list is a bit out of date. With all the mod-drama and the move to Curse, I've been letting it slide until things were more settled. I'll use some of these as the basis for a new list.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I should have asked before, what happens if you crash an asteroid into a planet or Mun or whatever? I'm not expecting craters, but does the rock get destroyed or does it sit there chilling and waiting for you to put it back into orbit?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Now there is a challenge: Land Asteroid at KSP and return it to orbit. Bill said "it wasn't the right one."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Atmus posted:

I should have asked before, what happens if you crash an asteroid into a planet or Mun or whatever? I'm not expecting craters, but does the rock get destroyed or does it sit there chilling and waiting for you to put it back into orbit?

From what I've seen it just sits their chilling.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Karbonite has air‐breathing engines now. They have a performance band between basic jet engines and turbojets, it seems.

They could be good for getting around Kerbin or for getting turbojet‐powered craft up to operating speed/altitude. Most importantly, they look good.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 22, 2014

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

So I'm using remotetech 2 and Mechjeb2 on the same career game, and I get a weird issue when signal delay gets higher than .25 seconds or so where the flight computer will not respond to pointing commands correctly, but SMART a.s.s. from mechjeb can control the craft just fine.

I have a feeling its some kind of conflict, but I'm not sure why. I would think that mechjeb would start having issues with the delay time but I think it completely ignores the delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thwomp posted:

Now there is a challenge: Land Asteroid at KSP and return it to orbit. Bill said "it wasn't the right one."

I hope you're talking about E class here. :getin:

• Locked thread