Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Verizian posted:

Is there a decent Bass modelling amp other than the Vypyr VIP series? Mainly looking for something bedroom sized that would ideally double up with my current Zoom G5 and Kustom 10 Watt amp so I can plug my Bass VI into it, process the high end and use the XLR out to send a clean tone to something a bit beefier for the low end. Tempted by the VIP2 to get some nice instrument modelling features although it seems you need to pay an extra £85 for the Sanpera pedal to use everything?

Fender has their Bronco Amp which is a dedicated bass amp modeler but it's only 40 watts so I don't actually know of anyone who owns one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Fender has their Bronco Amp which is a dedicated bass amp modeler but it's only 40 watts so I don't actually know of anyone who owns one

Roland has their line as well with the Cube bass amps
http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE-120XL_BASS/

EDIT: I plugged my Cube80XL guitar "head" into my new stack of speakers. Some of those modes actually sound...good. Will keep it as a solid backup to the JetCity22H.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 13, 2014

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
1968 Traynor YBA-1: yay or nay?

I sold my stupid El Capistan last week as I bought the real thing a month ago and now have the cash to buy an old Traynor. Looking for something to do that JTM45 type of sound and apparently these do that. Plus I always like to have more Canadian stuff in my life...

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am about to pull the trigger on a Red Mustang III v.2 amp. I have played it them at Guitarcenter and was pretty enamored with the modeling abilities. I did a lot of soul searching about whether to go for a super champ x2, but figured 'gently caress it' I am not a purist anyway, not that the champ is really a purist amp but it has tubes. Someone change my mind, or confirm that the Mustang III is worth it.

Also red is pretty swank looking. :D

What's got you choosing that over the SuperChamp?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

nrr posted:

What's got you choosing that over the SuperChamp?

Flexibility with modeling and the fact that I really could not hear a drastic difference in the SC's favor. I still think the SC is quite a nice amp.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

DiscoDickTease posted:

1968 Traynor YBA-1: yay or nay?

I sold my stupid El Capistan last week as I bought the real thing a month ago and now have the cash to buy an old Traynor. Looking for something to do that JTM45 type of sound and apparently these do that. Plus I always like to have more Canadian stuff in my life...

I would

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Just picked up a 6505+ head for a really good price and have been using it with the Peavey XXX 400 watt cab. The cab sounds a bit fizzy for my taste. Would it be worth replacing a couple/all of the stock speakers with some V30s or similar? The guy I bought the cab from replaced it with a Zilla 2x12 fatboy with V30s which sounds a lot warmer with his Engl Fireball than it did through the XXX cab.

I've only really tried it at low volumes though. I might need to see what it's like next time we jam with the drummer.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

Too late! I found a 1967 for less instead and bought the hell out of it! Sounds like a Bassman and JTM45 had righteous sex.

Also the guy from April Wine owned it so that's a thing.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Sockington posted:

Roland has their line as well with the Cube bass amps
http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE-120XL_BASS/

EDIT: I plugged my Cube80XL guitar "head" into my new stack of speakers. Some of those modes actually sound...good. Will keep it as a solid backup to the JetCity22H.

Declan MacManus posted:

Thanks, the Bronco doesn't really look that good on paper, the Cube 120XL looks great but it's out of my budget range. I'm aiming for around £300, maybe £400 if I can find something locally but for now the Vypyr VIP3 looks to be nicely in the middle with a bunch of other fun toys thrown in. Kinda curious what a VI will sound like through red channel 6505 emulating an electric violin.

I've also been looking at the new Zoom B1on but it's just a preamp like the G5 and really needs an amp with an FX loop to work best.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
There are cheaper models of the bass Cube, but they usually have less features/models as you drop in price.

I just linked the high-end one to show their maximum capabilities.

\/\/\/\/\/ makes sense. I've never looked at the Roland bass stuff before but remembered they had a modeler.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 14, 2014

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yeah the 60XL is still £50 more than the VIP3, or £20 less when you factor in a Sanpera1 pedal but really I'd rather have 100Watts driving a 12" speaker with a built in "power sponge"/attenuator for bedroom practice than a fixed 60Watts and a 10" speaker. I'm mostly into blackened grind, doom, ambient weirdness and classic blues so the amber and red channel system on the Peavey has my attention.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
Hey guys, it doesn't look like there's too much troubleshooting in this thread but I'm not sure where else to ask.

I've got a Vox AC15CC1 that's giving me essentially no sound. The series of events went something like this: occasional crackling and cutting out>everything seemed fine>piercing squeal>no output. I've put in all new tubes and now even with the Volume and Master cranked all the way I get a clean but barely audible sound from the speaker.

I've verified that it's not the guitar or the cables, the fuse is fine. I've tried swapping and re-arranging the old and new tubes but they give me the same results. I'm trying to test everything I'm capable of testing before bringing it into the shop but I don't really know where to go from here, any ideas?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Globochem posted:

Hey guys, it doesn't look like there's too much troubleshooting in this thread but I'm not sure where else to ask.

I've got a Vox AC15CC1 that's giving me essentially no sound. The series of events went something like this: occasional crackling and cutting out>everything seemed fine>piercing squeal>no output. I've put in all new tubes and now even with the Volume and Master cranked all the way I get a clean but barely audible sound from the speaker.

I've verified that it's not the guitar or the cables, the fuse is fine. I've tried swapping and re-arranging the old and new tubes but they give me the same results. I'm trying to test everything I'm capable of testing before bringing it into the shop but I don't really know where to go from here, any ideas?

maybe try running it through another cab? it could be the speaker so, either run a different amp that speaker or that amp into another speaker.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Looks like I'm finally digging through my tube collection and pulling out the tester to get some of 'em matched up, might as well figure out what the hell all of them are, too.

On that same note: When your buddy hands you a handful of spare tubes, and you say 'hey man, this one's cracked' and he says 'no it's good don't worry about it', ignore him because it's really hard to continue practice while you're dripping blood like an extra in Carrie.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Practice space turning into Fender amp museum:

DrChu
May 14, 2002

What's that little amp on top of the Twins?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

DrChu posted:

What's that little amp on top of the Twins?

Looks like a Fender Reverb unit (or clone of).

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Good eye, it is indeed an old fender reverb unit

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Had the SLO in for a checkup yesterday and for fun we decided to bench it and do a load test on it.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Your customer wanted you to put EH preamp tubes in it? :smith:

Edit: vv That's fair and I'm not a huge NOS advocate anyway. I just thought EH had an especially bad reputation for inconsistency and failure rate (I'm aware this has to do with selection rather than manufacturing.) vv

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 22, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Your customer wanted you to put EH preamp tubes in it? :smith:

I sure did, they sound great, they're cheap and I'd rather beat the hell out of a gigging amp with easily replaceable tubes in it than some of the rarer NOS stuff.

Edit- ^^^^ Nope, I've had really good results and experiences with EHX tubes for years now. I've amassed a huge collection of NOS/vintage tubes throughout my buying/trading and honestly, I've never been able to tell much of a difference between them all. Sure, there's a standout here and there, but in my experience a new tube is every bit as likely to be that odd duck that's exceptional as is a NOS/Mullard or whatever. My 'special' sets are exactly that, 'special' on their own merits without regard to name/age.

Bear in mind, none of this stuff ever makes it onto my eBay/TGP listings, just like the PiO caps and all that mess.

Granted, NOS Mullards DO seem to be more likely to be an exceptionally good tube and I DO tend to keep those put up a bit more than the others, but I generally attribute that to their manufacturing specs more than any 'mojo' or whatever.

Plus, I rarely play very cleanly, so there's that.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 23, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I have a Fender Hot Rod 1x12 combo, I have a nice little closet space that does not have a door that looks like it would be the perfect space for an amp nook. Is there any danger in running a tube amp so close to walls? It would have 4-5 feet of open air above it, so it's not like I'd be locking it in without ventilation.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
People put amp heads in rack enclosures all the time, it'll be fine. If you put it too close to a corner it might sound boomy though.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

The hot rod deluxe is such a boomy amp to begin with you might end up with a bass amp. Hahaha. You'll probably be fine but the hot rod deluxe is well known for having issues with the power tube socket solder joints becoming dry and cracked over time because the tubes are mounted vertically downwards and subject to vibrations from the cab.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
E: while looking at my tubes I noticed some snipped wires. Not sure if this is something that poses an immediate threat.

http://m.imgur.com/qENRUI3

There's black, green, yellow and white wires. The white and yellow wires appear to be completely snipped.

A little while back I got myself a cheap carvin v16 tube amp. (My first tube amp.)

I'm really digging it but I'm wondering whats the best way to get a little more clean headroom for jazzier stuff. I love the warm tube cleans but this thing gets dirty pretty quick. When I want dirt I'd rather stomp on a tube screamer.

It's stock right now with these tubes.
http://imgur.com/HFfcKT8
El84 and 12ax7

I've seen the Dunkin tube guide and it was pretty informative but I'm wondering what mod will be the best bang for my buck, or the order to do mods.

Here is the most commonly recommended mods for my amp.
http://hasserl.com/vintage_16

And I'm thinking of maybe a cannabis Rex or Lil Texas ( this one more for the weight reduction)

Just wondering the order I should begin modding.

I'm going for a cleaner sound that's only distorted all of the way up ( gain knob) but stays clean yet full for a while.

philkop fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 16, 2014

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

philkop posted:

E: while looking at my tubes I noticed some snipped wires. Not sure if this is something that poses an immediate threat.

http://m.imgur.com/qENRUI3

There's black, green, yellow and white wires. The white and yellow wires appear to be completely snipped.

They're likely transformer leads for different resistance loads that aren't used in this combo amp. Don't worry about it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

philkop posted:

I'm really digging it but I'm wondering whats the best way to get a little more clean headroom for jazzier stuff. I love the warm tube cleans but this thing gets dirty pretty quick. When I want dirt I'd rather stomp on a tube screamer.
Just get the most efficient speaker you can find.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Curiosity: what are some of the best low watt low volume clean amps being produced today?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I haven't heard anything better at lower volumes than the Vox AC4C1 I demo'd a couple months ago.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Kilometers Davis posted:

Curiosity: what are some of the best low watt low volume clean amps being produced today?

Not trying to be snarky, but I am not quite sure what you mean. A watt's a watt as far as speaker is concerned, so I'm assuming you mean quiet-sounding, which kinda falls apart in my head. My answer would be "get an attenuator they own and 'feel' fine, honest," then combine that with whatever amp you're using. The THD Univalve is not in production anymore, but it has a built in mini-hotplate (appropriate for the nominal 15W it puts out, of course) so it can be as loud or quiet as you want it to be.

If it's a solid state amp, turn it down; if it's a tube amp, get an attenuator. If neither work for ya, get really hard to drive (low sensitivity) speakers and use the higher resistance outputs as transformers generally output slightly less power to higher loads than lower ones, even when impedance is correctly matched. Edit: To be maximally clear, I am suggesting that if possible you use a MATCHED load, not that anyone should decide to plug an amp's 16 ohm output or whatever (if applicable) into a 4ohm speaker cabinet or whatever. Unless you're looking to kill the amp's output section, anyway.

Hope that's of some use; the other answer is "go get some pedals" because seriously they're loving amazing these days. It is easier than ever being a guitarist right now, even if it is a bit of fiddlin' as Rome burns. :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 21, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Cross Post:

Impasse:

Probably at the beginning of the month I will buy either an Orange Dual Terror, Egnater Rebel 30, or a Fender Deluxe/Twin Reverb. I may MAY get a brand new Super Sonic just to see if the one I recently sold was a fluke since I really loved both channels on it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

I looked at the aforementioned AC4C1 and it was on my short list for a recording amp along with the RG13, but after spending way to much time researching things I found this and was super impressed with it from a voicing, price, and features standpoint. There aren't that many demo's of it online, but in the ones that are out there I couldn't hear any voicing change between the 4 watt and .25 watt settings.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

jwh posted:

Just get the most efficient speaker you can find.

Heh, I've got a like-new Eminence Wizard that he can have on the cheap. It absolutely drowned out my V30 so it's no good to me.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have not heard a low wattage amp I like as much as the 65amps Ventura, which is why I bought one :v:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I've got a question about the Line 6 Spider III. A friend has one and is offering it to me; I'm not taking it, but it has a weird feature/bug/??? that makes no sense to me and I'd like an explanation of it.

The guitar volume knob doesn't do anything on it except allow me to cut the signal. 10 and 3 have the same output. My question is: why does it do that?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

jwh posted:

They're likely transformer leads for different resistance loads that aren't used in this combo amp. Don't worry about it.

I figured it was something like that. If I haven't been zapped or heard serious buzz yet I didn't think I was going to.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
I know bass guitar through guitar amp is a no go but is it just the speakers that could go sour on a solid state amp?

I got myself a JC 55 which should be arriving tomorrow and if it does the job I want it to I might let my bass playing sister in law/ roommate use my JC 120. These are known for handling anything but I still want to preserve its integrity so I'm thinking of slapping some bass speakers in there. Maybe one bass one guitar. ( but not my original JC ) She plays a punchier kind of bass and honestly the 120 has some solid lows already. The bass speaker will just help. Mostly worried about screwing up the components.

E: Also before I mess with anything u will probably come do a thorough write up of the JC 55 vs the JC 120. Maybe a video but quality would be potato phone.

philkop fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 22, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Bass through guitar head = fine. Bass through guitar speakers = blown speakers. ( I know some people can say you can play it quiet but, I dont even risk it)

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Bass through guitar head = fine. Bass through guitar speakers = blown speakers. ( I know some people can say you can play it quiet but, I dont even risk it)

This is totally untrue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Schlieren posted:

This is totally untrue

Yup. Bass player in my band has a sludge rock/grungy band and he uses a VOX AC30 for his highs. No problems.