Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PaybackJack posted:

That's it. It was completely out of character from how David had left Quicksilver's character and was a complete step backward. I'm glad we're back to a state where he's able to keep moving the character forward instead of sticking in the "Quicksilver is an egotistical prick who doesn't care about anyone but himself" phase. It was fine that his daughter called him on it, I liked that aspect too, but him doing it in the first place was dumb.

So he is now back to admitting he is responsible for M Day and the Silent War? I saw that as him trying to fix the character since it was dumb for him to do those things in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

bobkatt013 posted:

So he is now back to admitting he is responsible for M Day and the Silent War? I saw that as him trying to fix the character since it was dumb for him to do those things in the first place.

Actually him doing Silent War was awesome and he wasn't responsible for M Day, he was responsible for House of M and that wasn't dumb he was trying to save his sister who's the only person he's ever really cared about other than himself. Silent War was him trying to fix his mistake in a way that went terribly wrong.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Magneto's solo title could really become Mutant Breaking Bad right now if it wanted to. And it really should.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really liked X-Factor. I didn't necessarily think Slott hosed Quicksilver up, characters go back and forth, but this is him moving forward. This book is a nice example of what canon can do.

Diet Poison posted:

Magneto's solo title could really become Mutant Breaking Bad right now if it wanted to. And it really should.
Does anyone else get that taste in their throat at the end of a good issue when the last page reads "Next up: lovely crossover Hell!"

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

Actually him doing Silent War was awesome and he wasn't responsible for M Day, he was responsible for House of M and that wasn't dumb he was trying to save his sister who's the only person he's ever really cared about other than himself. Silent War was him trying to fix his mistake in a way that went terribly wrong.

I'm not sure Silent War is ever acknowledged as actually happening, is it? Like it ended on a huge cliffhanger and was never resolved.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think some world War Hulk tie in tried to BS their way into making silent war a part of that event or something.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Spiderdrake posted:

I really liked X-Factor. I didn't necessarily think Slott hosed Quicksilver up, characters go back and forth, but this is him moving forward. This book is a nice example of what canon can do.
Does anyone else get that taste in their throat at the end of a good issue when the last page reads "Next up: lovely crossover Hell!"

Not really, because it's been pretty obvious for awhile now that this book is a travelogue of Magneto's journey to becoming a super-villain again. Frankly, I'm delighted that they put this much effort and care into fleshing out his heel turn instead of just having him show up evil one day.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cabbit posted:

Not really, because it's been pretty obvious for awhile now that this book is a travelogue of Magneto's journey to becoming a super-villain again. Frankly, I'm delighted that they put this much effort and care into fleshing out his heel turn instead of just having him show up evil one day.
Well, yeah, I'd rather this book be allowed to fully articulate the journey, rather than going into the crossover. I mean the bottom of the page isn't "next: something to do with what this book is doing" it is "next: avengers & x-men: axis". I do like Remender, but I feel like crossovers rush the details that make this book so satisfying.

As an aside I really like all the 'flashbacks'. Gives it a good sense of grounding and history.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Spiderdrake posted:

It has dropped to 30k shipments with losing about 1000 readers per issue, so it's probably either that with hopes of getting more readers or cancellation in about 4-6 months. Would be a shame, because I really like the book (but the same is true for nearly every Marvel book that has been canceled recently/is in the cancellation zone - She Hulk, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, Cyclops...).

I also think the book was never supposed to be a really long-running series in the first place, just something to make Magneto a villain again like Cabbit said - not that I'm particularly happy with it, Mutant-Punisher-but-still-considered-somewhat-a-hero Magneto would be my preference over out-right villain.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 21, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just don't see how all of the X-Men would consider him a villain. Hell right now he isn't doing anything that X-Force wouldn't have done.

I guess there needs to be a point where someone, probably Cyclops, says he has gone too far.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

It has dropped to 30k shipments with losing about 1000 readers per issue, so it's probably either that with hopes of getting more readers or cancellation in about 4-6 months. Would be a shame, because I really like the book (but the same is true for nearly every Marvel book that has been canceled recently/is in the cancellation zone - She Hulk, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, Cyclops...).

I also think the book was never supposed to be a really long-running series in the first place, just something to make Magneto a villain again like Cabbit said - not that I'm particularly happy with it, Mutant-Punisher-but-still-considered-somewhat-a-hero Magneto would be my preference over out-right villain.

Yes, I really don't want Magneto to become a black hat again. That said, this is good story that's being told.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I want a Cyclops, Cable, Magneto X-Force book. It would give everyone else a reason to keep disliking Cyclops since "you killed Xavier while possessed" is gonna wear really thin when he comes back (and he has to, drat it). You'd have to send his latest crop of kids to the JGS to be completely ignored in favour of Idie and Evan but that's hardly without precedent.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Storm was much better this week. Nice Calypso story without retreading the exact same ground a zillion times before. Also probably the most convincing Wolverine/Storm pairing I've seen, and that's counting Aaron's WATXM.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Storm was much better this week. Nice Calypso story without retreading the exact same ground a zillion times before. Also probably the most convincing Wolverine/Storm pairing I've seen, and that's counting Aaron's WATXM.

I still don't get the Storm/ Wolverine pairing. Was that a Claremont thing? I'd expect Storm to have better taste.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Soonmot posted:

I still don't get the Storm/ Wolverine pairing. Was that a Claremont thing? I'd expect Storm to have better taste.

Really? Because I always thought Wolverine was a better partner to Storm then Black Panther was.

Speaking of, when I read this month's New Avenger's and saw taht they had slept together again, I actually thought "really Storm? I thought you'd have better taste then to let him back."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Soonmot posted:

Storm has awful taste. :doom: was willing to take her as a bride and she chose poorly.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Soonmot posted:

It's an X-Men thing. Everybody sleeps with everybody else at some point.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Waterhaul posted:

It's an X-Men Avengers thing. Everybody sleeps with everybody else Hawkeye at some point.

Also this. In 10 years we could have an entire Avengers offshoot team of nothing but women, and maybe a dude, that Hawkeye has slept with.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Also this. In 10 years we could have an entire Avengers offshoot team of nothing but women, doombots, and maybe a dude, that Hawkeye has slept with.
Fixed for accuracy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first half-dozen or so Claremont issues made it seem like he was trying to set up Storm and Colossus, but more or less decided against it after #100.

I believe there's one scene where Storm gets taken down by a Sentinel, and Colossus flips out and trashes it while Nightcrawler thinks, "Colossus fights for the woman he loves!" or something.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If only Storm were 13 it might've happened.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

The first half-dozen or so Claremont issues made it seem like he was trying to set up Storm and Colossus, but more or less decided against it after #100.

I believe there's one scene where Storm gets taken down by a Sentinel, and Colossus flips out and trashes it while Nightcrawler thinks, "Colossus fights for the woman he loves!" or something.

Maybe Nightcrawler thinks everyone loves everyone? Wolverine gets mad at Scott ordering him around, "He argues with the man he loves!" Banshee cracks a joke with Thunderbird, "He laughs with the man he loves!" Storm and Jean go on a girl's night out, "They enjoy the presence of each other so much, they are in love!"

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I'm sure Wolverine and Storm will only last until just before the next time Jean comes back and then it's that poo poo again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wolverine is dying in a month.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MY ABACUS! posted:

I'm sure Wolverine and Storm will only last until just before the next time Jean comes back and then it's that poo poo again.

Maybe Beast will be sad after Wolverine's gone and he'll use his time machine to bring Teen Logan back that way Bendis can write that sweet time-paradox love story.

e: After Cyclops gets back from space sooner or later we can finally rehash every single love triangle story only this time with walking paradoxes. Adult Cyclops can only look on in horror thinking "Christ is this what we were really like?".

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 23, 2014

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Looking at the solicitations for the next few months, it seems like there will be more books about dead Wolverine than alive Wolverine.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

WOLVERINE IN HELL...AGAIN!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

TwoPair posted:

Maybe Beast will be sad after Wolverine's gone and he'll use his time machine to bring Teen Logan back that way Bendis can write that sweet time-paradox love story.

e: After Cyclops gets back from space sooner or later we can finally rehash every single love triangle story only this time with walking paradoxes. Adult Cyclops can only look on in horror thinking "Christ is this what we were really like?".

I really wish they coulda played with the X-23 loves Scott loves Jean but they're totally weirded out by their own future which pushes them away from each other but Wolverine and Adult Cyclops happen to catch Laura and Young Scott making out and everyone's just loving mortified by the whole situation. You could do a whole issue of them all avoiding each other and it would be a riot. I mean, there'd need to be a reason Wolverine and Cyclops were at the same school but whatever. God I hate the Schism.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Claremont had Storm and Wolverine as kind of casually "together" in that they were grown-ups and slept with each other without a lot of angst. It was a nice character turn, I think, and not the kind of relationship that gets a lot of run in comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the animated series, Logan and Storm were married in one of the various evil futures where the Sentinels had taken over.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

In the animated series, Logan and Storm were married in one of the various evil futures where the Sentinels had taken over.

In the comics too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's so many "Sentinels rule the future" timelines, they all sort of blur together. I must've missed that one; is it the original DOFP?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
They are married in X-men:The End by Claremont.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shawn posted:

X-men:The End by Claremont.

We do not speak of such things

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

There's so many "Sentinels rule the future" timelines, they all sort of blur together. I must've missed that one; is it the original DOFP?

Yeah. I've been reading a poo poo-ton of X-Men though, so I also may be conflating.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I get the point of the Magneto series, but can I just add that I find it hilarious that no one has bothered to pop in and mention the Dark Beast/Nano-machines thing to him? No 'Oh, poo poo! We forgot Erik! Magik, can you pop in for a second and tell him how to fix himself?'

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was extremely unclear but I think the nanomachines were only supposed to be affecting Cyclops and Magik.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

It was extremely unclear but I think the nanomachines were only supposed to be affecting Cyclops and Magik.

I haven't read the Magneto series for awhile, but a big deal in it is about how his powers are weaker and stuff from Uncanny!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Bendis' Uncanny has had two separate hosed Up Powers plots - one where the Phoenix Five (excep Namor, and including Magneto, for... some reason) are having trouble controlling their powers, and a second one where the Sentinels would show up and the X-Men's powers would get hosed up (even more, I guess). Beast's nanomachine thing was intended to address the latter but not the former.

I think. It's ridiculously unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, Bendis' Uncanny has had two separate hosed Up Powers plots - one where the Phoenix Five (excep Namor, and including Magneto, for... some reason) are having trouble controlling their powers, and a second one where the Sentinels would show up and the X-Men's powers would get hosed up (even more, I guess). Beast's nanomachine thing was intended to address the latter but not the former.

I think. It's ridiculously unclear.

Makes sense. I had no idea what was going on with their powers still being hosed up, so thanks for that.

The only thing I hate more than Evil Future Selves is Broken Powers. How long until the core X-Men books are good again, guys?

• Locked thread